• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo under shipment woes strikes again with Bayo 2.

Mrbob

My Best Buy had a lot of copies in stock. Could be a case where the local Best Buy didn't put games on the floor.

GulAtiCa

I'm kinda under the impression most stores like Gamestop and Best Buy don't always stock somewhat niche Nintendo games beyond 1 or 2 of the pre-order. Those places barely have a Nintendo section.

Wynnebeck

Banned
He's lying and he's not even being shameless about it. Nintendo doesn't decide that, the corporate offices at Gamestop decide that. Let's say a Gamestop has 2 people who preordered Bayonetta 2. Chances are they're going to send enough to meet the preorders and maybe a few more for those rare people who didn't preorder a niche game. (If it's niche, always preorder.) Preorders dictate how many copies each store should get, and the person in charge of distribution for the various regions at the corporate offices are the ones who decide what stores get how many and how much excess stock they should have. Low preorders means there aren't many extra copies for non-preorders if any at all.

This man gets it.

This is a recent thing this generation. (Wanna pimp the eShop perhaps)

Nintendo has always shipped adequate copies of games before.
That's not always true. Pokemon Conquest was pretty hard to find when it released too. I had the same problem you're having with Bayo 2. Went to multiple stores and couldn't find it. Ended up buying it on Amazon and had to wait two weeks before they got more stock in to ship it to me.

ngower

It's in stock at every major store around me and I'm about 45 minutes from Boston. I don't know if its Nintendo who is at fault but the distributor for not requesting enough in a given metro area or something.

xevis

Banned
Do you guys know how the store-publisher relationship works and why some games have more copies than others on shelves? Hint: If your answer includes "The publisher decides how many to send alone," then you're wrong.

This. So much this. SMH at all the "Nintendo hardly sends us any copies" comments in this thread.

Neoweee

I'm kinda under the impression most stores like Gamestop and Best Buy don't always stock somewhat niche Nintendo games beyond 1 or 2 of the pre-order. Those places barely have a Nintendo section.

That's like that for any game, niche or not. They order games based on how many they think they'll sell, and apparently Bayonetta 2 was dis-proportionally under-preordered.

Lumyst

At the Gamestop where I preordered, they had 2 extra copies that were already sold by the time I picked up my preorder. I usually don't do preorders but for certain upcoming WiiU and 3DS games I'm going to make sure to preorder since it seems they're being very cautious now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
All you guys checking Gamestop stock online, remember that these numbers don't update instantly, so they could be showing the stock they opened with. Most likely meaning they don't have that stock any longer.

This is the #1 most annoying thing about checking in store stock online. Database updates in the middle of the night between close and open, and then you are at the mercy of whatever stock they had hasn't actually sold before you get there.

Some stores like BB will just marked sold out online if they only have 2 or fewer copies to help with this though.

LowParry

Yeah I figured I'd bite the bullet and go get the game. Sadly no where to be found. Gamestop, Best Buy, WalMart. Maybe some day.

Mohonky

Probably a mixture of;

A. Nintendo undershipping
B. Game potentially moving more than thought
C. Retailers not wanting to commit to more copies only to have them sit on the shelves

I dont think anyone expects this game to sell big numbers, even Nintendo. Retailers are probably also very wary of having many Wii U titles in stock unable to move them so they probably only ordered as many as they had for preorders and maybe only a handful (if that) many more for walk ins. I always tend to preorder when its a game I know I am getting day one, particularly Wii U. Never really have any problems with PC, Sony of MS stuff, but Wii U can be hit and miss on availability.

The Wii U is a weird machine in that there arent that many titles available for the system, but the there tends to be absolute must haves for the system as it does have a number of really strong titles in its line up.

If I look at people posting about Wii U and what titles they have, its weird to see so many people have nearly an identical Wii U line up + or - one or two games.

Grief.exe

This is the #1 most annoying thing about checking in store stock online. Database updates in the middle of the night between close and open, and then you are at the mercy of whatever stock they had hasn't actually sold before you get there.

Some stores like BB will just marked sold out online if they only have 2 or fewer copies to help with this though.

Call as soon as they open and have them set you aside a copy if you plan on swinging by that day.

entremet

I honestly don't understand why fans of obscure Japanese games and/or Nintendo of America don't preorder. You should know better at this point, retailers aren't going to stock the shelves based on hope.

One and done really.

I never had a problem with release day stuff for even ATLUS stuff. I don't care for pre-order goodies or anything like that.

This is the first time I've had this issue.

He's lying and he's not even being shameless about it. Nintendo doesn't decide that, the corporate offices at Gamestop decide that. Let's say a Gamestop has 2 people who preordered Bayonetta 2. Chances are they're going to send enough to meet the preorders and maybe a few more for those rare people who didn't preorder a niche game. (If it's niche, always preorder.) Preorders dictate how many copies each store should get, and the person in charge of distribution for the various regions at the corporate offices are the ones who decide what stores get how many and how much excess stock they should have. Low preorders means there aren't many extra copies for non-preorders if any at all.

Right?? Nintendo's revenue is primarily through their retail channel. It's not like manufacturing one more copy of a game is expensive; in fact it's basically free. Do we really think that a profit-seeking company would turn down additional revenue from Gamestop? It's silly.

I understand the theory of diverting people to the eShop, but we have to consider the percentage of people who would actually do that and compare that to the additional margins Nintendo gets from the eShop.

Is it worth losing out on say ~$25 bucks from Gamestop, when you can get $40 from someone on the eShop? Well sure you'd rather take the $40.

What if you knew only >20% of your gamers actually bought online, would you really risk it for the additional cash? Doubt it. The odds just aren't in your favor. Certainly as conservative as Nintendo is, someone must have already reached this conclusion.

Squishy3

I never had a problem with release day stuff for even ATLUS stuff. I don't care for pre-order goodies or anything like that.

This is the first time I've had this issue.
Completely anecdotal, though. Niche games always mean low retail stock for people who don't preorder, you just got lucky with the Atlus stuff. If you want something day 1, and it's anything remotely niche, like Bayonetta 2 certainly is, there's no harm in preordering from a retailer of your choice.

For example, when Persona 3 Portable came out, the PSP wasn't exactly a slouch in how many units it had sold and the Gamestop I went to had a huge PSP section. They had 1 copy of P3P and told me I was the only person who preordered it and that they had calls asking for it all day.

SalvaPot

Seriously, I can't find this game anywhere.

I tried 3 Gamestops and 2 Best Buys. And it seems people in the main OT are having the same problem. Guess I should've pre-order as GS reminded me lol.

I'd buy it digitally if it wasn't for Nintendo's wacky account system.

Is anyone having trouble finding this game?

Well, I had the same problem when buying Wonderful 101 when it came out...

I actually had to go to K-Mart to find a copy.

Who

Banned
What specifically is keeping you from buying it digitally? I feel like there's some serious misinformation about Nintendos account system

This is a recent thing this generation. (Wanna pimp the eShop perhaps)

Nintendo has always shipped adequate copies of games before.

A poorly selling console, with a super niche title that has been pre-emptively called a bomb for well over a year now, and you figured there'd just be stacks of copies sitting on shelves.

Well... okay.

entremet

What specifically is keeping you from buying it digitally? I feel like there's some serious misinformation about Nintendos account system

My biggest beef is having to contact Customer Service if my Wii U dies.

I had both my PS3 and 360 die and had sizable libraries. All I needed to do was enter my gamertag/psn id and redownload my games. You can't do that on Nintendo platforms without calling CS, which I find very restrictive.

A poorly selling console, with a super niche title that has been pre-emptively called a bomb for well over a year now, and you figured there'd just be stacks of copies sitting on shelves.

Well... okay.

Well, that's the reason I thought it would be more plentiful lol.

KePoW

Banned
In this thread, I'm very surprised at the number of GAFers who want to buy from GameStop or Best Buy.

Cmon... those stores are trash

Bass260

I imagine many retailers didn't order too many copies of a niche Wii U release :( yes, this makes me sad. I pre-ordered B2 awhile back as like many others I wanted to support Platinum day one.

entremet

In this thread, I'm very surprised at the number of GAFers who want to buy from GameStop or Best Buy.

What's wrong with Best Buy?

GS I can understand, but I've never had issues with them other than their up selling, but I just decline.

JayEH

With a niche game like this you should have pre ordered. This game didn't generate much hype until a couple of weeks ago when the reviews hit. With games like this, GameStop usually only covers pre orders. I think the GameStop I went to had maybe 4.

Reminds me of fire emblem last year. Almost impossible to find at retail for a couple of months. All this goes to show is that Nintendo expected Bayonetta to tank. (Which it will probably still do.)

Never had any problems with either store.

jblank83

Right?? Nintendo's revenue is primarily through their retail channel. It's not like manufacturing one more copy of a game is expensive; in fact it's basically free. Do we really think that a profit-seeking company would turn down additional revenue from Gamestop? It's silly.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/02/anatomy-of-a-60-dollar-video-game.html

It costs a little chunk of change to manufacture the game, then another chunk if it gets returned as unsold product (shipping costs, warehouse and handling costs, etc). Retailers have contracts which state they are allowed to return a certain amount of unsold product to the company. They don't get to return everything, though, and that means they have to eat the loss by slashing prices on the remaining stock.

So overproducing by several million is actually of concern, both to the manufacturing company and the retailer.

Gamestop, ok, but what's wrong with Best Buy?

It's funny. I ordered this on Amazon because my local gamestore keeps getting my Nintendo stuff late and Amazon didn't ship my copy out until late last night so I won't get it until Tuesday and my gamestore got several copies.

Best buy is pretty good. But yea, I very much dislike Gamestop... Opened new games, shitty NEW stickers that leave gross residue, and awful sealing stickers that make a mess.

Christ, I don't even have a Wii U yet (and wasn't planning on getting one for another month or so), but this is making me think I should just buy a copy now. That's dumb, right?

alf717

Man, I lucked out so much at Target, then, I guess. I got the last copy and the guy who got it for me was cute.

Win.

Er, yeah, that sucks about the low shipments. I was hoping that wouldn't happen, since they even advertised the game with a commercial and everything. Though they did the same with Awakening...

Similar story expect I was at Walmart got the last copy and the cashier, she was cute.

fred

Am quite surprised at the amount of people that frequent online forums such as this that go to brick and mortar shops tbh.

Going to be interesting to see how the combination of both Bayonetta 2 and Smash affects hardware sales for the Wii U in October and Christmas period sales (November to the end of the year).

Lumyst

In the case of Gamestop, I'm glad they decided to carry Xenoblade Chronicles, had they not, I wouldn't have been able to get that game. I know now that for physical copies of games, the retailer is Nintendo's customer, so I understand now why Nintendo was careful about which games they would release (the viability of releasing a game depended on whether or not retailers would order it). If a game is going to be risky or niche, I'll now preorder it at Gamestop so that it can continue to make sense for Gamestop to order games that other retailers won't.

I really hope you folks are using retail websites' ship to store option to check for local stock instead of calling or physically driving all over the place.

This isn't only on Nintendo. Retailers order stock based on what they think they'll be able to sell. Unfortunately the Wii U has been getting the short end of this stock since it launched.

Top Bottom