• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's new platform codename: "Project NX"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

i think monster hunter 5 is coming, but not for 2016. 2017 seems more likely, but it will also come for ps4 and maybe even steam.
MH5 is probably coming to the NX Handheld, & hopefully the NX Console by extension. And keep in mind that Nintendo helps with localizing the Monster Hunter games (as well as advertising them) in exchange for the mainline games staying on Nintendo platforms.

Oregano

i think monster hunter 5 is coming, but not for 2016. 2017 seems more likely, but it will also come for ps4 and maybe even steam.

I think that's a bold prediction considering hunting games haven't really fared well on either of those platforms as of yet. EDIT: Not to say I completely disagree but I think they'd test the ground with something else first.

I was more referring to Monster Hunter X or Monster Hunter Stories. An upport of MHX would probably help in the west.

Outside of Mario Kart, it's pretty likely that the NX will see a good few major titles in its first year if not directly at launch. If every Nintendo team that hasn't put out a game recently is somehow working on major stuff for the Wii U/3DS instead of the NX, then its going to have one of the worst launches in history. And since Nintendo has basically announced no major new titles for a long time, I think it's safe to say NX games are well into development.

Now I'm trying to think of the last major game announced for the Wii U. Star Fox I guess? And even that, though officially unveiled this year, was actually announced and shown to a minor degree last year. So unless I'm forgetting something it's been like a year or so since anything major from Nintendo has been announced.

I don't see how the NX couldn't have a good launch since it seems like it's all hands on deck for it.

How quickly we forget the empty years of the Wii with a lot of the same reasoning.

Neoxon

How quickly we forget the empty years of the Wii with a lot of the same reasoning.
Here's the thing, the lack of major Wii U & 3DS titles is a sign that Nintendo's focused on NX development. The question is if those projects will be ready in time for the platform's launch window.

Neoxon

Having to save the 3DS played a big part of that. That won't be an issue this time.
At that point though they were developing 3DS games.
Somehow I completely forgot about that. Nintendo was basically all-hands-on-deck for reviving the 3DS that they forgot to set aside some more man-power for the Wii U's launch window. Obviously with the shared platform (if it pans out), this won't be a problem.

Somehow I completely forgot about that. Nintendo was basically all-hands-on-deck for reviving the 3DS that they forgot to set aside some more man-power for the Wii U's launch window. Obviously with the shared platform (if it pans out), this won't be a problem.

Nintendo got unlucky with the 3DS in Japan as well, since that huge earthquake happened right after launch and pretty much killed it's momentum for a while

Gsnap

Oh no, I remember. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I remember. There's just a number of new factors to consider. For instance, apparently a number of Wii U games were delayed due to Nintendo "needing to get used to HD development" or whatever. Will that be an issue again? We'll see. And then, when considering the Wii U's launch we're considering the launch of only one system when Nintendo also had to support the 3DS at the same time. So we saw games like Animal Crossing New Leaf on the 3DS with a Wii U Animal Crossing nowhere in sight.

And when considering the NX, we can't just consider the home console all on its own. We don't know when the handheld will launch in comparison to the home console. Maybe they'll be the same day. We don't know how many games will be shared between them. Perhaps having some games like Animal Crossing will be compatible for both systems, helping to alleviate droughts at launch?

So yeah, I remember, but there's new factors to consider, and being pessimistic is boring.

sörine;180159942 said:
Iwata also referred to the console and handheld as brother systems. And he also implied we may see more variant devices than just those two.

Basically Nintendo wants everyone buying more hardware, not less. A hyrbid sort of naturally works against that.
Yeah, everyone mentions just the two, but what if they are planning 3? A portable a console and a new breed? Likely no one has guessed the system's new gimmick/innovation

Gsnap

Yeah, everyone mentions just the two, but what if they are planning 3? A portable a console and a new breed? Likely no one has guessed the system's new gimmick/innovation

Well the things is, if NX is all about being a platform or an OS or whatever, then it can be applied to anything couldn't it? Like even whatever QoL stuff they may or may not be working on could be a part of the NX family even if they have no games or aren't actual "systems" right?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The Shield is a non-compromises handheld. The epitome of function over looks and for that is fucking awesome.
I can imagine the function-over-form draw with some consumers, how about price, though? And from there on, what's the incentive for devs to create content targeting a device that clearly will be sold to a very niche market?

Retro will be ready. I mean, they have to be, right? They've been working on my Metroid for 3 years now, day & night. Right??
Retro might have something for the first year of the NX. Probably nothing interesting. They claim it's one game every 3 years. We should see it next year at e3 with a release within a year after that

Except for the part where Iwata outright said that's not happening.
I honestly dont see how is logical to release 2 devices any more I really dont. Ill have to wait till I see it because this thing has to either be one device, packaged as both or only just the handheld. Nintendo has release alot of stuff and crazy stuff over the years if anything NX will be the craziest yet. I believe its possible 2 devices mean 1 device. Because how they gonna do it? The handheld needs to be truly revolutionary in this case. Just because 3DS did "ok" dont mean the next one will. No amount of new name and branding will help that. A portable that is just a traditional portable?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I am sure they have grand plans for launch games.

I am sure those grand plans will be derailed when those games aren't ready for launch.

I think this is probably the one bit of speculation in this thread that we can almost certainly count on to be true. For console launches, I think you have to look at the entire first year to have a sense for what was planned for Day 1 at some point in time. I imagine there's at least one or two titles, likely ones that are more dependably developed like the NSMB series or were greenlit specifically to highlight the hardware at launch, that Nintendo has internally guaranteed for launch. Then I'm sure they have a few others that they really would like to have out but could get pushed back up to 12 months. And I would guess that they have their planned Year 1 titles that we might not see until Year 2.

Trogdor1123

It needs to happen, badly. All in Nintendo.

That could also be the death of the system if they cant get good 3rd party support. They would have too much in one shot and then nothing down the pipe. They cant just rush everything and then hope that the third parties pick up all the slack. It just doesnt work that way, especially on nintendo consoles. They need to make their 1st party stuff less important, not more.

E-phonk

Banned
Because how they gonna do it? The handheld needs to be truly revolutionary in this case. Just because 3DS did "ok" dont mean the next one will.

3DS was the de facto number one platform in Japan, one of their most important territories. It sold 55 million systems till now, and is likely to sell +/- 70m when all is said and done.

You make it sound like it was as dead as the Wii U.

Oh no, I remember. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I remember. There's just a number of new factors to consider. For instance, apparently a number of Wii U games were delayed due to Nintendo "needing to get used to HD development" or whatever. Will that be an issue again? We'll see. And then, when considering the Wii U's launch we're considering the launch of only one system when Nintendo also had to support the 3DS at the same time. So we saw games like Animal Crossing New Leaf on the 3DS with a Wii U Animal Crossing nowhere in sight.

And when considering the NX, we can't just consider the home console all on its own. We don't know when the handheld will launch in comparison to the home console. Maybe they'll be the same day. We don't know how many games will be shared between them. Perhaps having some games like Animal Crossing will be compatible for both systems, helping to alleviate droughts at launch?

So yeah, I remember, but there's new factors to consider, and being pessimistic is boring.
Not sure if that's directed at me since I never suggested anything outside of the fact that we have historical evidence that supports Nintendo not having an adequate amount of software prepared for launch on their last two platforms.

Neoxon

I honestly dont see how is logical to release 2 devices any more I really dont. Ill have to wait till I see it because this thing has to either be one device, packaged as both or only just the handheld. Nintendo has release alot of stuff and crazy stuff over the years if anything NX will be the craziest yet. I believe its possible 2 devices mean 1 device. Because how they gonna do it? The handheld needs to be truly revolutionary in this case. Just because 3DS did "ok" dont mean the next one will. No amount of new name and branding will help that. A portable that is just a traditional portable?
You're right, they can't support 2 platforms. If we're right, Nintendo will just have one platform to support with multiple form factors.

Gsnap

Not sure if that's directed at me since I never suggested anything outside of the fact that we have historical evidence that supports Nintendo not having an adequate amount of software prepared for launch on their last two platforms.

It's not directed at anyone. It's just how I feel, and why I said what I said.

3DS was the de facto number one platform in Japan, one of their most important territories. It sold 55 million systems till now, and is likely to sell +/- 70m when all is said and done.

You make it sound like it was as dead as the Wii U.
No it wasnt but I believe the next handheld has the potential to be in tht situation. See Wii -> Wii U.

E-phonk

Banned
No it wasnt but I believe the next handheld has the potential to be in tht situation. See Wii -> Wii U.

No? 3DS isn't the current best selling platform in Japan?

Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| 3DS # |     26.739 |     27.829 |     43.592 |  1.342.469 |  1.547.486 |  19.180.914 |
| PSV # |     20.210 |      9.480 |     11.857 |    669.500 |    898.051 |   4.193.427 |
|  WIU  |     16.033 |     20.891 |      8.396 |    434.971 |    404.857 |   2.578.551 |
|  PS4  |      8.375 |     18.555 |      8.939 |    823.328 |    718.046 |   1.793.995 |
|  PS3  |      2.411 |      2.628 |      6.078 |    184.443 |    372.912 |  10.353.434 |
|  XB1  |        737 |        207 |      1.314 |     12.490 |     30.003 |      55.757 |

Griss

I don't see why they couldn't get Mario Kart ready to go, especially if the architecture is anything like the Wii U.

MK8 was a phenomenal success - both critically, with fans, and in terms of attach rate. There's no reason to mess with it. Take the game engine wholesale, create 16 new tracks, add some characters, and add a proper battle mode to truly differentiate it from its predecessor. Take the Retro tracks as a mix from MK8's new tracks and MK8's old tracks.

Don't call in MK9, just call it Mario Kart NX. MK8 was so good that I really doubt anyone would complain about more of the same on the go.

We're almost talking about an expansion pack as much as a new game. And if developing new tracks and a battle mode genuinely takes that long then just port the original MK8 over as is, and have it ready for launch. Very few games Nintendo makes have that truly mass-market appeal, from kids to students to parents. Even dudebros will sit down for some Mario Kart. It needs to be there at launch, it's infinitely more important than having some mascot platformer. MK8 was such a good game it was utterly wasted on the Wii U. They need to find some kind of way to recycle the work done on it.

Neoxon

Could someone please unearth the quote for this so I can add it to the OP?
Ask & you shall receive.
Satoru Iwata said:
What we mean by integrating platforms is NOT integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of EACH platform.

No? 3DS isn't the current best selling platform in Japan?

Code:
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
| 3DS # |     26.739 |     27.829 |     43.592 |  1.342.469 |  1.547.486 |  19.180.914 |
| PSV # |     20.210 |      9.480 |     11.857 |    669.500 |    898.051 |   4.193.427 |
|  WIU  |     16.033 |     20.891 |      8.396 |    434.971 |    404.857 |   2.578.551 |
|  PS4  |      8.375 |     18.555 |      8.939 |    823.328 |    718.046 |   1.793.995 |
|  PS3  |      2.411 |      2.628 |      6.078 |    184.443 |    372.912 |  10.353.434 |
|  XB1  |        737 |        207 |      1.314 |     12.490 |     30.003 |      55.757 |
No im saying it wasnt as bad as the Wii U but another traditional handheld has a red carpet lined up for it to fail.
This quote, I think something has to change. If they fully intend to try this again. It will be drastically different than something we are used to. A unified OS wont be enough.

Roo

I don't see why they couldn't get Mario Kart ready to go, especially if the architecture is anything like the Wii U.

MK8 was a phenomenal success - both critically, with fans, and in terms of attach rate. There's no reason to mess with it. Take the game engine wholesale, create 16 new tracks, add some characters, and add a proper battle mode to truly differentiate it from its predecessor. Take the Retro tracks as a mix from MK8's new tracks and MK8's old tracks.

Don't call in MK9, just call it Mario Kart NX. MK8 was so good that I really doubt anyone would complain about more of the same on the go.

We're almost talking about an expansion pack as much as a new game. And if developing new tracks and a battle mode genuinely takes that long then just port the original MK8 over as is, and have it ready for launch. Very few games Nintendo makes have that truly mass-market appeal, from kids to students to parents. Even dudebros will sit down for some Mario Kart. It needs to be there at launch, it's infinitely more important than having some mascot platformer. MK8 was such a good game it was utterly wasted on the Wii U. They need to find some kind of way to recycle the work done on it.

So first, you think it wouldn't be hard for them to come up with a new MK game but then, you want them to half-ass it with old stuff from MK8.
Does not compute.

Mario Kart 8 was treated like royalty this gen so they'll take extreme care of it, just like mainline Mario, Zelda and Smash games. If we get a new MK game, it won't be after the first year at least. People buy this game because usually have to wait 3 years between releases (6 years if you don't bother with either console or handheld versions) so releasing a old port or a half-assed game won't do the brand any favors.

Griss

So first, you think it wouldn't be hard for them to come up with a new MK game but then, you want them to half-ass it with old stuff from MK8.
Does not compute.

Mario Kart 8 was treated like royalty this gen so they'll take extreme care of it, just like mainline Mario, Zelda and Smash games. If we get a new MK game, it won't be after the first year at least. People buy this game because usually have to wait 3 years between releases (6 years if you don't bother with either console or handheld versions) so releasing a old port or a half-assed game won't do the brand any favors.

I disagree with almost all of this. I'm saying
a) If the new game was heavily MK8 based, then it would be easy for them to make it quickly. There is no confusion here. I even went on to say that if a straight port is necessary then it should be done. I never suggested they build one from scratch.

b) MK8 was treated like royalty, and was one of the very best games I've ever experienced. It then sold to an install base of less than 10m at the time. It deserves better, and giving it to a wider audience or making a new game on that engine with new tracks would not be 'half-assing' it at all, imo. Ocarina was so good they re-used the engine and all the assets to make another one in a hurry. The result was Majora's Mask - still one of the most beloved games ever made. MK8 deserves the same treatment.

c) The people who you want to buy this game are the ones who weren't there for MK8, so it doesn't matter that it hasn't been three years. The quality is so high that the brand won't be damaged, and even if it were it would be mild and absolutely irrelevant in comparison to the benefit the NX would get from having an MK at launch.

At some stage, Nintendo has to realise that releasing quality games too late in a console's cycle just isn't good enough. The market makes up its mind quite quickly these days. Early momentum is essential.

Neoxon

a) If the new game was heavily MK8 based, then it would be easy for them to make it quickly. There is no confusion here. I even went on to say that if a straight port is necessary then it should be done. I never suggested they build one from scratch.

b) MK8 was treated like royalty, and was one of the very best games I've ever experienced. It then sold to an install base of less than 10m at the time. It deserves better, and giving it to a wider audience or making a new game on that engine with new tracks would not be 'half-assing' it at all, imo. Ocarina was so good they re-used the engine and all the assets to make another one in a hurry. The result was Majora's Mask - still one of the most beloved games ever made. MK8 deserves the same treatment.

c) The people who you want to buy this game are the ones who weren't there for MK8, so it doesn't matter that it hasn't been three years. The quality is so high that the brand won't be damaged, and even if it were it would be mild and absolutely irrelevant in comparison to the benefit the NX would get from having an MK at launch.
But in my opinion, I think Nintendo's gonna try another Mario Kart from scratch. Though given when they ended MK8 DLC, MK9 won't be ready until Late 2017 at the earliest. It's not long enough to justify a MK8 remaster at the launch of the NX Platform.

butalala

Does not compute.

They're saying it would be easy to come up with a new Mario Kart if they just expand on MK8 (or half-ass it, in your words).

Neoxon

This quote, I think something has to change. If they fully intend to try this again. It will be drastically different than something we are used to. A unified OS wont be enough.
If they share most of the same games, it will be enough. No use in cutting off half of Nintendo's potential profits. And this way, there won't be any software droughts.

Griss

But in my opinion, I think Nintendo's gonna try another Mario Kart from scratch. Though given when they ended MK8 DLC, MK9 won't be ready until Late 2017 at the earliest. It's not long enough to justify a MK8 remaster at the launch of the NX Platform.

I don't follow. First of all, I'm just saying what I think Nintendo should do. I don't expect MK at launch at all. Secondly, what does the DLC have to do with it, especially if the first part of development would largely be just a team porting over the engine, models and netcode? I'm not talking about a 'remaster', either. I'm talking about either a new game or a port. A remaster is an entirely different thing.

And we don't know how long it took to make that track DLC. We certainly can't assume that it took the entire amount of time between MK8's launch and the 2nd DLC pack being released. For all we know, both DLC packs were done two months after launch and business realities dictated the launch dates from there.

I stand by my assertion that it would be entirely possible for that team to get MK NX ready by late 2016 if they were able to reuse the engine.

Dr. Buni

Does not compute.

But since the NX might be a handheld and console with a shared library (key word: might), the next Mario Kart might be released sooner than later, since we would not be getting two new Mario Karts, one being a handheld title released earlier in the generation.

E-phonk

Banned

MK8 DLC means nothing though. They have probably been preparing MK9 from the moment the 8th was finished, it's their most popular franchise.

I wouldn't be surprised if a "nintendo cup" with tracks from their different games is one of the new things in MK9, with a retro cup featuring a selection from the DLC tracks of MK8. It's a good way to reuse it without doing a re-release. Also don't forget that Mario Kart 7 still sold more than double of mario kart 8, so a lot of potential mario kart fans that are still active haven't played 8 yet.

Griss

But since the NX might be a handheld and console with a shared library (key word: might), the next Mario Kart might be released sooner than later, since we would not be getting two new Mario Karts, one being a handheld title released earlier in the generation.

People forget that it was MK7 that saved the 3DS in Christmas 2011. That and 3D Land. That holiday was when it started to turn around. Price cut would have meant nothing without that software to move the thing. Another indicator of how bloody important this franchise is.

It has been 4 years since the last portable MK, and it's a series that absolutely shines for handheld play. I have no faith in Nitnendo having it ready, but if they were a competent company they would.

And if they were a smart one
there'd be a F2P version, as sick as it makes me feel.

I think we'll see a 3D Mario at launch with MK9 launching a few months later. It'll be about 3 years since the latest game if the next 3D Mario comes out next year in November.

Roo

At some stage, Nintendo has to realise that releasing quality games too late in a console's cycle just isn't good enough. The market makes up its mind quite quickly these days. Early momentum is essential.

Before further discussion, what do you exactly mean when you say "heavily MK8 based"

Hypothetically speaking, we have the next 3D Mario, Zelda U, Pikmin 4 and possibly Retro's new game for the first year. Why waste their big guns all at once?
Releasing a brand new Mario Kart game the second (or even third year) of the console's lifespan would keep the momentum going for the rest of the gen with DLC support, just like MK8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom