• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's operating profit for full FY 19/20 is higher than Sony(G&NS), Capcom, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Konami, and Sega Sammy (and some by a lot!)

Mozza

As a gamer/consumer, I don't want it, but if I was an investor in those companies I would want it.

As a gamer competition and diversity can only be a good thing, I have my console from either Sony or Microsoft each generation, and I have my Switch alongside it, perfect match imho.

Clarissa

Banned
Power of consoles only matters in gaming forms but outside of that most people just like to play fun games, that’s biggest reason Switch selling well.
Xbox and PlayStation games are not fun?
Only Nintendo games are fun?

I'm sure everyone knows by now that I have a friend who's a Nintendo fanboy and he also often talks about how Nintendo games are fun and PlayStation games are crap and play the same way.

I'm having fun with Gears Tactics, Granblue Fantasy Versus, RE3 remake currently. And had fun with Nioh 2, Fire Emblem 3H, FF7 Remake recently.

I am an open minded gamer who plays everything and I don't need to talk up my favourite console all the time. I can see the fun in every genre of video games and not just Nintendo games.

I wish more people be fans of video games instead of their consoles.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Xbox and PlayStation games are not fun?
Only Nintendo games are fun?

I'm sure everyone knows by now that I have a friend who's a Nintendo fanboy and he also often talks about how Nintendo games are fun and PlayStation games are crap and play the same way.
They are, I have both PS4 and Switch, but my enjoyment of those games doesn't come from having high tech graphics but from actual game themselves. This why I was able to enjoy games like Nier Automata, Bloodborne and Valkyria Chronicles 4 on PS4 even tho they didn't have high tech graphics mean while I didn't like games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Order 1886 even tho they had high tech graphics.

I also enjoyed games like God of War, InFAMOUS Second son and TLOU but mostly for the actual game themselves. I like beautiful visuals as much as the next guy but I'm not gonna skip a game just because it doesn't have high tech graphics, it doesn't matter how much people say " its 2020 it should meet the standard".

Last edited:

Eanox

Just to put some perspective. Pokemon and animal crossing release on the same fiscal year for Nintendo.
Lite also release this fiscal year.
Nintendo has a breaking record this fiscal year possibly the peak year for nintendo.

Sony has barren fiscal year. Days gone and Death stranding as a notable software from them. Which didn’t light the charts. As opposes to 2018 which you have GOW and spider man breaking records.
Lesser Console that was shipped. New gen coming in and they just purchased insomniac last year.

but nonetheless it’s a good fiscal year for both. Both companies are in good shape so I don’t see any problems here.

Sony’s fate/order mobile efforts arent included.
Sony see’s Dreams and VR as 10 year investments. I doubt they are highly profitable.

But yeah Nintendo games are low cost. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is pure profits. On the switch only Nintendo eats. They eat well tho.

14 year olds think this way. On a scale of 1-10, how edgy are you? Do you only play the edgiest of edgy games?
He only plays the edgiest of edgy games when he's at a sufficient level of edge beyond the current level of edge which gives him the edge.

On topic: impressive by Nintendo. It's the only console I never owned before and one I should probably get in future.
Congrats Ninty.

Neil Young

I'm so happy for them. I'm sure they will pass on their good fortune to the consumers who put them on top. Right? RIGHT? Hmmm, let me check the current price for Splatoon 2. Must be a mistake. Ok, I'll check the price for Mario Odyssey. Ohhhh. Well, at least they've poured a ton of money into improving the Switch's online and dashboard right?

Screw Nintendo! For comparison, I jumped in with the PS4 when they were giving away Bloodbourne AND Ratchet and Clank with PS plus. Bloodbourne was one of the best games I ever played and I got it for FREE. I play gamepass games all the time, an unbelievable value. But nah, I'm happier knowing Nintendo is raking in the money while still charging full price for their games. Booo!

Arkam

Good on Nintendo. Love the switch, its the handheld that I have always wanted (minus teh lack of clamshell). First party games have been great, but what has been an unexpected bonus is all the games that have gotten a second lease on life by getting Switch ports.

Nice one. No sensible argument to use against infantile Nintendo in sight so let's throw some insults...
Did you vote Trump by any chance?

"No sensible argument" to use against that shit? I think my argument speaks for itself. If you think that Nintendo games are "shovelware if you're over 6 years old", like if you truly believe that and you aren't extrapolating for the sake of making a point, then you're an imbecile. Don't blame me if that's the case friend, blame your parents.

Edit: just to clarify so I don't sound needlessly aggressive, listen man we're all passionate about games here. Some of us like games by Nintendo better, some of us like Sony games better, some like Microsoft, some like whatever third party studio. And we're caveman who debate it on passionate terms. The age thing related to Nintendo is a common talking point, it must make a BRILLIANT argument if you don't like their games. So is the shovelware thing, so is the "weak hardware", "cheaper development", "collecting dust". That's okay. We can say stuff like that, it's fun to shoot the shit and we all extrapolate our beliefs because it's part of being a nerd. I think Sony games are cuck propaganda, but I don't actually think that since I know they have other merits and shit. I would never call them something they're not.

However, if one TRULY believes Nintendo games are shovelware even considering what constitutes one game as shovelware, if one TRULY believe there's an age related thing with Nintendo be it actual age or "age state" or whatever actual psychological term, if one TRULY believe that either of them is true, then yes that person is a complete and utter idiot. Not saying the "blame your parents for being an imbecile" thing applies to you specifically (unless you do believe those things, then yeah it does apply to you lol), I was again extrapolating to make a joke point which sounds a bit harsh, but so does getting called a manchild in threads like this. We can call other names, say the games suck balls, we can do the talking points, anything just...

RecklessPlainBarnacle-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
Another Fun Fact

The legend of Zelda BOTW generated more revenue and profit than any Sony and Microsoft 1st party titles in the US and Japan. probably worldwide too as the current price of the title is still at $59.99 MSRP .
here%E2%80%99s-what-not-to-do-in-the-latest-zelda..jpg

damn the game is from 2017 and it's still 60$? Nintendo fans are suckers

Not even close, Nintendo last FY is the highest ever recorded for current gen consoles makers. Sony relied heavily on 3rd party games, their profit margin isn't gonna reach the same tier as Nintendo as Nintendo 1st party generated more profits than 3rd party games.

Nintendo less revenue more profit - 1st party strategy
Sony and Microsoft more revenue less profit - 3rd party strategy
I'm always amazed at this. Nintendo's first party games, ALWAYS sell amazingly well to their audience. It's the promise of quality that they sell. People are going to hate me after this LOL but it's whatever. I had a Switch, I bought ARMS, I bought BOTW, I bought Mario Odyssey, I bought Mario Cart... none of them stuck with me. They were good, but I didn't finish a single one of those games. I get why some people love them tho, like people REALLY love those games. A part of me thinks that it just hits with some people a lot more and another part of me thinks, these people wait for these Nintendo releases and that is their only game so they have to love it. Like they LOVE those games. I personally didn't, i thought they were good. But, that probably says a lot more about me than anything else. There aren't a lot of games that I would say that are "great" or that I "love." If need to know, I sold my Switch and all the games on my account. I bought a Switch Lite a few months ago, picked up Animal Crossing, it ruled my life for a good two weeks... it is now my Final Fantasy 7 machine and mostly just collecting dust.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just imagine what Nintendo's sales and profits would be if they put more money into better hardware, got all the big third party games over and had a good enough online system where people paid $50-60/yr.

Combine all the digital revenue and online sub money and that $3.2 billion profit could probably hit $5 billion.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm always amazed at this. Nintendo's first party games, ALWAYS sell amazingly well to their audience. It's the promise of quality that they sell. People are going to hate me after this LOL but it's whatever. I had a Switch, I bought ARMS, I bought BOTW, I bought Mario Odyssey, I bought Mario Cart... none of them stuck with me. They were good, but I didn't finish a single one of those games. I get why some people love them tho, like people REALLY love those games. A part of me thinks that it just hits with some people a lot more and another part of me thinks, these people wait for these Nintendo releases and that is their only game so they have to love it. Like they LOVE those games. I personally didn't, i thought they were good. But, that probably says a lot more about me than anything else. There aren't a lot of games that I would say that are "great" or that I "love." If need to know, I sold my Switch and all the games on my account. I bought a Switch Lite a few months ago, picked up Animal Crossing, it ruled my life for a good two weeks... it is now my Final Fantasy 7 machine and mostly just collecting dust.
This so bizarre to me, you sold your Switch because it doesn't have the game that interest you and you buy it again knowing the system might not have the games you would enjoy and saying it collecting dust now......why?
these people wait for these Nintendo releases and that is their only game
Why people try so hard convince themselves people who enjoy Nintendo games are lying to themselves. Is it that hard to believe people enjoy game you personally don't like? I own both PS4 and Switch and I enjoy playing Nintendo games because I simply enjoy them.....yes this might sound very shocking to you.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
They wont

and they wont

they maximize profit by operating far under modern standards.

They've been doing it consistently ever since the Gamecube.

Quite the opposite. Nintendo gains nothing by investing in expensive tech their audience is not interested in.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
In a competitive market, this doesn’t happen.

Let’s no brush aside what else Nintendo strategy means. It has a lot of drawbacks for gamers, a lot.

Even so. It's throwing money away to cut the price of a game that continues to move satisfying numbers.

Honestly this is super shocking to me. Theres maybe one game that was any good from nintendo in the last 10 years or so - Zelda: BOTW, the rest of the pack is complete shovelware, if you're over 6 years old.

Wanna know what else is a kicker? This current gen, Sony has over a 100 million systems sold and still can't compete with Nintendo's first party profits.

Of course Nintendo will always be more profitable, they can make lower spec hardware, and games that have a lower budget and use cell shading, and sell them at prices that make eyes water...and the dedicted fan base is happy to spend that money.

Nintendo fanbase is unique in that gamers get equally excited for older ports, I dont see this anywhere else in the gaming space. Personally I dont get it but people can spend their money how they like, its a free world.

Good for Nintendo I guess, as to quote that famous line " Nintendo like profits".

Problem is investors will always expect those profits and as such Nintendo will always be expensive and paying for the same games 2 or 3 times will not go away soon.

Wow, you sound so bitter. Everyone doesn't think like you, therefore it's pointless trying imply that your taste and opinions hold more value over someone else's.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Wanna know what else is a kicker? This current gen, Sony has over a 100 million systems sold and still can't compete with Nintendo's first party profits.

Nintendo’s consoles are generally a must have, even consoles like the Wii U were more a failure in overall execution of some parts than a bad concept (I do like my Wii U, full of potential), but while I do understand being happy they are successful and have a high revenue...

Why are you excited about their profit margins knowing what a profit margin is? I would get sustainability concerns being an answer, but I would like to hear you articulate your answer to this...

Last edited:

geordiemp

Wow, you sound so bitter. Everyone doesn't think like you, therefore it's pointless trying imply that your taste and opinions hold more value over someone else's.

Bitter lol ? Where ? Its praise, if you can sell for more with less cost and lower investment = profit + good for that buisiness.

Where did I imply my opinion is heavier than anyone elses ?

Its an appriasal of the market and commercial from my view. Nintendo stocks would of been a great buy when they were low damn. I mentoined no posters and made no poster references

And you went with the personal attack like a true fanboy, thats just SAD.

Last edited:
Nintendo’s consoles are generally a must have, even concepts like the Wii U were more a failure in overall execution of some parts than a bad concept (I do like my Wii U, full of potential), but while I do understand being happy they are successful and have a high revenue...

Why are you excited about their profit margins knowing what a profit margin is? I would get sustainability concerns being an answer, but I would like to hear you articulate your answer to this...

To be honest, I could care less about all 3 companies profit margins, except for the purpose of them being well off to continue supporting my hobby of gaming. From what I tend to observe here is: you get people making a company's business executions to be profitable as something trivial, tasteless, and typically comes off as being bitter.

This is a Nintendo thread informing us on positive news of them making positive profits. I'd do the same for any other company of it is warranted. For instance with Sony, no one can deny Sony's first party quality of games and what they mean to gaming yet people try and theres never a valid reason why.

Same for Microsoft and their upcoming Xbox SX, it's primed to be the most powerful console next-generation yet people want to deny them their "chest beating" moment without substantial facts and/or reason. I love gaming in general and have no desire to tear down any company because that could mean I'm cutting off my chances of potentially great gaming moments regardless of wherever the moments may come from. All opinions from from me.

Bitter lol ? Where ? Its praise, if you can sell for more with less cost and lower investment = profit + good for that buisiness.

Where did I imply my opinion is heavier than anyone elses ?

Its an appriasal of the market and commercial from my view. Nintendo stocks would of been a great buy when they were low damn.

And you went with the personal attack like a true fanboy.

If you're gonna call me a fanboy, make sure its fanboy of gaming in general 😉.

Not a personal attack on you purposely, my apologies. Just that for me, when you started pointing out a company's execution of attaining profits, it seemed shortsighted somewhat. To me I seen it as a smart business idea/move.

Again sorry for the assumptions and will questions before project my assumptions.

geordiemp

If you're gonna call me a fanboy, make sure its fanboy of gaming in general 😉.

Not a personal attack on you purposely, my apologies. Just that for me, when you started pointing out a company's execution of attaining profits, it seemed shortsighted somewhat. To me I seen it as a smart business idea/move.

Again sorry for the assumptions and will questions before project my assumptions.

No problem, some of us like to comment on commercial as it is interesting but it is a games forum I guess.

Business I am in we have to spend and work lots to make our little bit ......

Zannegan

Nintendo will be able to make more big budget games in the future.
They can also increase development team.
I'd like them to keep doing things the way they do them now, only more of it.

I wish they'd invest the cash into snapping up a medium-large Japanese development company like Sega and start using their development power to A. start putting out more software and B. create their own PC client. With next gen raising the bar significantly, the Switch will likely lose what third party support it has. Nintendo's going to have to pick up the slack sooner or later. Better start now.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
To be honest, I could care less about all 3 companies profit margins, except for the purpose of them being well off to continue supporting my hobby of gaming. From what I tend to observe here is: you get people making a company's business executions to be profitable as something trivial, tasteless, and typically comes off as being bitter.

This is a Nintendo thread informing us on positive news of them making positive profits. I'd do the same for any other company of it is warranted. For instance with Sony, no one can deny Sony's first party quality of games and what they mean to gaming yet people try and theres never a valid reason why.

Same for Microsoft and their upcoming Xbox SX, it's primed to be the most powerful console next-generation yet people want to deny them their "chest beating" moment without substantial facts and/or reason. I love gaming in general and have no desire to tear down any company because that could mean I'm cutting off my chances of potentially great gaming moments regardless of wherever the moments may come from. All opinions from from me.

Sure, but you side stepped my, admittedly a bit cheeky, point... why are you not donating them money to support them making said games on top of buying what they make then? (keep reading please for some context)

As I said, I get why having high revenue and sales help a company, I get how having non razor thin margins decreases risk, just a bit less excitement over a corporation increasing their profits margins (is there a limit where this becomes easier to accept?)...

In all fairness, I would be a lot happier celebrating good profits for a small underdog than a colossus like Google as I can directly relate to them making risky investments against behemoths that can crush them by taking huge losses (Nintendo and Sony do fit into this category against MS and Google or Apple), but when for example Apple announces that they are trying to move profit margins per unit closer to 50% (they are steady far and far away from razor thin margins levels) and they are a company worth like a Trillion dollars... wel, less so...

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I know this is a bit non-applicable but:

Microsoft reported $39.2 billion net income for FY 2019. I know very little of that is the gaming division, but think about the resources that they CAN throw at it to make it competitive with Nintendo & Sony.

Sure and that is the danger of “competition” in a free market. They are not going to do that, but yes if their board went crazy they could use all the money they make on services and some of their money in the bank and Windows and I do not know pay people for buying XSX and making games free, GamePass too, for all for a few years.

Sure, awesome for a few years... not so awesome when the board comes to their senses and decides to start profiting off of all that invested money.

When people celebrate competition they celebrate products going toe to toe on their own merits, not superior resources used to prop a product onto the top of market not based on the product’s virtue, but thanks to money you made in other markets. Part of the reasons why SEGA fans are still passed off at Sony...

Nintendo will be able to make more big budget games in the future.
They can also increase development team.
And why should they do that?
They have gotten this profitable by making the kind of games they made. Their customers are not going to give them any more money by raising the cost of production. If Nintendo games, as they are, are already must-haves, then increasing production value would only lower profits.

Sony and MS are about expansion. To get more and more customers. But Nintendo is about maintaining the customers they have and keep up the quality. Going bigger is not what got them the money, so doing what you suggested would just mean losses.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’d like to give a warm welcome back to the console wars to Nintendo fans.

Your company’s success just threatened the e-peen of insecure plastic warriors everywhere.

When people celebrate competition they celebrate products going toe to toe on their own merits, not superior resources used to prop a product onto the top of market not based on the product’s virtue, but thanks to money you made in other markets. Part of the reasons why SEGA fans are still passed off at Sony...
I am pretty sure that SEGA failed all on its own. Not the least because the USA and Japan branch were hostile to each other, And Sony certainly proved that they are no fluke by building a trusted brand for four console generations, and with gaming being a huge part of the company now.

theclaw135

Banned
Voice chat by phone app... really? Not supporting Bluetooth headsets (please correct me if I am wrong here, really please :))? No cart in their eShop?

No. I'm talking about "cutting edge" games. Games ala Crysis / Metro Exodus that gobble up CPUs and GPUs.
Nintendo gave up the age old graphics chase long ago. Some might argue over counting Perfect Dark (technically published by Rare, whom Nintendo didn't hold majority ownership).

I’d like to give a warm welcome back to the console wars to Nintendo fans.

Your company’s success just threatened the e-peen of insecure plastic warriors everywhere.
I am not sure there is anything to war about. Nintendo simply decided to make its own target market separate to the others, and it is well established that many gamers buy Nintendo hardware as their 2nd console. Nintendo is old fashioned and their online presence is rubbish, but they keep Sony and Microsoft on their toes on reminding them what gaming is all about. That in essence, they sell TOYS, and Nintendo is proud of that fact.

Sure, but you side stepped my, admittedly a bit cheeky, point... why are you not donating them money to support them making said games on top of buying what they make then? (keep reading please for some context)

As I said, I get why having high revenue and sales help a company, I get how having non razor thin margins decreases risk, just a bit less excitement over a corporation increasing their profits margins (is there a limit where this becomes easier to accept?)...

In all fairness, I would be a lot happier celebrating good profits for a small underdog than a colossus like Google as I can directly relate to them making risky investments against behemoths that can crush them by taking huge losses (Nintendo and Sony do fit into this category against MS and Google or Apple), but when for example Apple announces that they are trying to move profit margins per unit closer to 50% (they are steady far and far away from razor thin margins levels) and they are a company worth like a Trillion dollars... wel, less so...

Nintendo being an underdog or Microsoft being a behemoth has nothing to do with why I'm in this thread. I came here to give a thumbs up to Nintendo. Same as I did for learning of Microsofts efforts in making a nice and respectable next-generation system in the XSX. I'm sure when Sony opens up about the PS5 I'll give more insight on what I like about it. I have a PS4, Xbox X, and Switch. I've sorta stopped playing the first two systems when I learned that they'll be backwards with the new systems later this year. I want to play games HZD, GoT, and GOW in the best possible way. Anywho...

The issue is that when I do come into certain threads where the facts are undeniable and informative, you get people that make said facts trivial to the point it becomes a stain on a otherwise positive thread. I'm not dedicated to a company, I'm only here for the games.

Honestly, this is not super shocking to me. Did I mention that I haven't owned a Nintendo console since 2001? What a time to be alive and a gamer!

Last edited:
Top Bottom