• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's VC 08/25: Super Mario 64 DS (Wii U) and three Street Fighter games! (N3DS)

Feffe

Now wait a second.

I know that NES games on 3DS like Mario 3 support download play for multiplayer. Buy it on one 3DS, play with a friend.

Can you do that with these Street Fighter games?
I don't think so, Super Mario Kart at least was single player-only.

I think Konami and Capcom will keep up the support with Castlevania X, Gradius 3, Demon's Crest and maybe the Breath of Fire games. I also think Nintendo will round off with some of their stuff already on Wii U like Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dream Land 3.
I really hope so, but I wonder if 3DS is powerful enough to emulate the SA1 chip.

what the heck is with all these "snes port is garbage for alpha 2" type comments. Sure, it might not be as good as other versions of the game, but I'd hardly would call it garbage. I've always thought it was impressive as hell considering it's on the SNES.

Synth

what the heck is with all these "snes port is garbage for alpha 2" type comments. Sure, it might not be as good as other versions of the game, but I'd hardly would call it garbage. I've always thought it was impressive as hell considering it's on the SNES.

It being impressive for a SNES, and it being a garbage port aren't mutually exclusive. Virtua Fighter 2 on the Genesis is impressive for what it is... but I'd still recommend everyone alive to avoid it.

Aru

10€ is a sweet price for VC DS games. SM64DS costs more than double that price used :(
I hope DS VC will be made for NX too.

DrNeroCF

Sorry this has probably already been answered but will mario 64 be full analog controls like the n64 version?

Did a quick search and I can't find the answer either. Do they actually leave the touch screen analog controls in without mapping the analog stick to the touch screen? That would give the game true analog control without touching the rom (if the disk drift doesn't become an issue), and would just be baffling if they left that out.

Doesn't Android have mapping software for gamepads that do this? Man, Nintendo brings emulation purity to insane levels sometimes, would love to play this again, but no real analog is an absolute deal breaker. Any hidden options in the Wii U 3DS emulator?

Gin

I remember Alpha 2 being slow on the SNES

might be a silly question - but will it run better on the N3DS ?

bomma_man

Kinda interested in 64 DS.

As long as the dpad is mapped to the analogue stick the controls should be fine, basically the same as 3DW.

mrmickfran

Why does Capcom seem to be the only company besides Nintendo to support the VC now?

I'm pretty sure that there are more Mega Man than Mario games on the VC right now.

Square, Konami, SEGA, get your shit together ffs.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Woah nice lineup for 3ds! Not too hyped on rebuying VC games for every Nintendo console but portable SF2 sounds too good to pass up.

lmao, my thoughts exactly. Just announce that NX will carry over 3DS and / or Wii U VC games for free Nintendo and I will open my wallet to dozens of VC games.

Where is Street Fighter 3 Third Strike Capcom?

Hopefully the NX will have a Dreamcast virtual console.

Or just better size limits for arcade games. That was the real killer for post-80s arcade games on Wii IIRC.

The Saturn and Dreamcast versions were also pretty bad.

Cut frames aside, PS1 game was closest gameplay wise but if you want to play Alpha 3 on console it's best on the PS2 Alpha Anthology with enabled dip switches.

That or go grab a CPS2 and play it on a cab or supergun.

First I've heard of this. What was so bad about the Sega ones? Never played them but I heard they were arcade-perfect.

Same game has been out on Wii U for at least a year, so....

No Wii U, so.....

I don't know where you are getting your information but that's wrong.

Cut frames aside, PS1 game was closest gameplay wise but if you want to play Alpha 3 on console it's best on the PS2 Alpha Anthology with enabled dip switches.

That is wrong. Also checking online, people are saying avoid the PS2 Alpha Anthology anyway.

First I've heard of this. What was so bad about the Sega ones? Never played them but I heard they were arcade-perfect.

I don't know where this guy is getting his information from but he's the first person I've ever seen say that.

Phoenixus

Sm64DS's controls are mapped to the analog stick but it is still 8 directions as opposed to full 360 movement, kinda like how 3D World feels. The other control schemes like the touch screen analog are still there if you got used to that in the original DS game and want to use it here too.

gelf

You miss out on the extra modes like World Tour if you play the game that way through. Which is the main reason to still play Alpha 3 these days I'd say.

I've read some conflicting things but general consensus is that Hyper Fighting seems to be the way to go over New Challengers. From what I've read, Hyper Fighting has better gameplay despite the lack of all of NC's additions.

Is this true? I want to pick up either HF or NC, but I'm not sure which one to get. Don't really care for Cammy, Fei Long, Dee Jay, or T. Hawk. I just want the "definitive" SNES SFII that's closest to what's considered tournament standard for SFII (SSFII Turbo? but I know that didn't come out on SNES)

I've played a lot of SFIII and IV, always wanted to go back and play 2 just not sure which version of it to buy tomorrow.

EDIT: Nvm, pretty sold on Hyper Fighting.

Robin64

I really hope so, but I wonder if 3DS is powerful enough to emulate the SA1 chip.

The two Kirby games that use it run fine when injected into the emulator via homebrew methods. Super Mario RPG doesn't, though, and I think it's due to size rather than chip used. Same as Star Ocean, it doesn't run despite its chip emulation working for Alpha 2.

Richie

Sm64DS's controls are mapped to the analog stick but it is still 8 directions as opposed to full 360 movement, kinda like how 3D World feels. The other control schemes like the touch screen analog are still there if you got used to that in the original DS game and want to use it here too.

Down to there being a Run button, eh? Maan, it's gonna be...interesting to revisit this in the Wii U.

No deal for US buyers.. seems like nobody cares. But why wouldn't they match the same deal that European gamers could enjoy a few weeks ago? (Buy 2, get 1 free)

Top Bottom