• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA to no longer publish Atlus games in Europe, Atlus not distributing NISA in US

NISA were never, ever going to get Persona 5 anyway - 3 and 4 both went to much bigger publishers (Koei & Square Enix respectively), and it's fairly safe to assume that 5 will stay with SEGA, given how they're releasing stuff like Yakuza more regularly now.

What this does suck for is the really, really niche Atlus stuff that SEGA might not see the point in bringing over - that was what NIS excelled at bringing to Europe.

Could someone who can read Japanese please correct/confirm that the following reads Why do you hate your European customers so much?

なぜあなたはそんなにあなたのヨーロッパの顧客を嫌いですか?

Thank you.

A little bit of redundancy with the 2nd あなたの but you are good to go as is.

EDIT: Beaten

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully either Sega Europe or Nicalis might release them. And I say hopefully with a very faint tinge of hope.
If not then Sega has really disappointed me.

Ridley327

Yeesh, sounds like there's little love lost between NISA and Sega over this matter. I hope it doesn't get nasty and impacts NISA's relationship with Atlus USA, since they're still their biggest distributor for their titles.

NISA were never, ever going to get Persona 5 anyway - 3 and 4 both went to much bigger publishers (Koei & Square Enix respectively), and it's fairly safe to assume that 5 will stay with SEGA, given how they're releasing stuff like Yakuza more regularly now.

To be fair, P3 and 4 were iirc before NISA started publishing in Europe and while each Atlus game would have a completely different publisher working on it. Square-Enix even pulled their weight with the PS3 release of Disgaea 3.

Joqu

Yeesh, sounds like there's little love lost between NISA and Sega over this matter. I hope it doesn't get nasty and impacts NISA's relationship with Atlus USA, since they're still their biggest distributor for their titles.

Not anymore they aren't. Says it right there

OmegaDL50

Your games are mostly shit, NIS, sorry

IFI seems ok with using Atlus for distribution

Is this is case of someone reading the topic title and not the OP and thinking the wrong group is at fault, isn't it?

I like to know what NIS America's publishing duties has anything to do with the games N1 Software develops.

Lunar15

I feel like there's a second half to this that's pretty important: as in, what the new EU publisher situation is going to be.

To be fair, P3 and 4 were iirc before NISA started publishing in Europe. Square-Enix even pulled their weight with the PS3 release of Disgaea 3.

It was, but what I say rings true, I feel. They were really, really excited when they got P4G for Europe and similarly disappointed when SEGA decided to do Arena Ultimax in-house. They obviously wanted to become the go-to thing for Persona, but I don't think they'd have got 5 anyway.

SE sort of buried P4 and D3 in Europe, I feel. I was never quite sure why NIS gave Disgaea 3 to SE after Koei had put out 1 & 2, but alas. I don't think they'd be the right people for P5, though, and really I just hope SEGA do it in-house.

I expect there'll be a bit of talk around all this in a few press publications in the coming days, as NISA people are in London to talk about their European operations - I'm off to see them tomorrow myself, heh.

NichM

Banned

The story already says that the relationship is entirely severed, including US distribution of NISA titles. It sounds to me like NISA failed their bid for P5 and is taking their ball and going home. Pretty unfortunate for the chances of smaller games in EU, but I don't think SMTIV Apocalypse will be affected, because that's not really a smaller game. It's more the Dungeon Travelers and such likely to be affected by this.

The story already says that the relationship is entirely severed, including US distribution of NISA titles. It sounds to me like NISA failed their bid for P5 and is taking their ball and going home. Pretty unfortunate for the chances of smaller games in EU, but I don't think SMTIV Apocalypse will be affected, because that's not really a smaller game. It's more the Dungeon Travelers and such likely to be affected by this.

Dude, SMTIV....

Nothing is out of possibility with Atlus regarding their games in Europe.

Alright, after the Twitter fan-campaign "We post pictures of money and games we want to Sega Europe", it's time to start a new campaign: "We show Atlus and Sega where Europe is on the map"

Go go Twitter users, i believe in you! (Because i don't have a Twitter account)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why would you even put Persona 5 up to bid? Is Sega going to have Ghostlight release the next Sonic game in Europe?

Zareka

God damn it.

NISA were pretty much my only hope for Atlus games over here. They did a really good job and even if we did get games way later at least we got them within a few months, generally.

Getting really difficult to keep my enthusiasm for Atlus the way things are going.

kennyamr

I'm guessing Sega Europe will publish Persona 5 in Europe instead?

P5 is PS exclusive so they should just give it to Sony Europe if they really don't want to do it.

Shahadan

Why are people freaking out about EU persona 5?

Couldn't you just buy it digitally on the NA ps store? And buy it physically once it comes out in europe if that's your problem.

Joqu

Yeah, no reason to freak out over Persona 5 of all things, that game's coming. Plenty else to worry about

Wow, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, only better, this happens... Well, at least most of the games I'm interested in from Atlus are on Region Free consoles, but still...

Sölf

Couldn't you just buy it digitally on the NA ps store? And buy it physically once it comes out in europe if that's your problem.

Some people don't want to buy games twice, just because it takes several months or years to finally get released in their region.

Ridley327

Why would you even put Persona 5 up to bid? Is Sega going to have Ghostlight release the next Sonic game in Europe?

Been a while since I got to type this out: Because Sega.

Do you think you can update the thread title to reflect Atlus USA no longer distributing NISA's game in the US, either? That's a pretty damn big deal given how long that relationship has lasted.

It's hard to buy the "Atlus aren't a big publisher" excuse when NISA which is arguably smaller/have less popular games than Atlus these days are able to publish some games (many of them their own) in the same week in Europe as they do in America.

Seriously.

The atlus/sega infrastructure is fu**ed up and nobody has any idea why.
And those who know can't talk about it.

Meanwhile as a european i'm tired of waiting and i import ..i just wish i didn't have to.

Been a while since I got to type this out: Because Sega.

Do you think you can update the thread title to reflect Atlus USA no longer distributing NISA's game in the US, either? That's a pretty damn big deal given how long that relationship has lasted.

Atlas USA hate Europe so much they're cutting long lasting relationship because of it.

Shahadan

Sölf;201838393 said:
Some people don't want to buy games twice, just because it takes several months or years to finally get released in their region.

I know, what I mean is, it's not really alarming. You could even import it.

It's more annoying and problematic for stuff on nintendo platforms

Eolz

Because this totally solves the problem right?

Shizuka

That's Sega ruining Atlus, little by little. Atlus USA output has decreased this year because Sega is making Atlus USA localize their games, which means less games from Atlus USA partners like Furyu, Aquaplus and others.

Sölf

I know, what I mean is, it's not really alarming. You could even import it.

It's more annoying and problematic for stuff on nintendo platforms

Yeah, see, I also like Etrian Odyssey and other games from Atlus. I bought Stella Glow which just released last month here. Who says I will actually see games like this again?

Zhao_Yun

Yes, I can import, but is this really how things should be? Would you be fine with this situation, if it was the other way around and NA would potentially get P5 1 year later?

Jb

Square Enix did publish Persona 4 in Europe.

I wonder if Atlus would let them do the same for 5. It is a big game that really deserves a big marketing push, but at the same time an english-only game in Europe can only reach the hardcore.

That's Sega ruining Atlus, little by little. Atlus USA output has decreased this year because Sega is making Atlus USA localize their games, which means less games from Atlus USA partners like Furyu, Aquaplus and others.

Atlas USA was already shitty towards Europe even before Sega bought them.

Kyonashi

1X14Afy.png

You're welcome, Sega Europe

;_;

dead

Son Of D

Let's say a large amount of people buy Persona 5 digitally from the NA store. Then the EU physical and digital sales are below expectations because of importers. It would just give Atlus more reason to give no shits about Europe.

FluxWaveZ

I wonder if Atlus would let them do the same for 5. It is a big game that really deserves a big marketing push, but at the same time an english-only game in Europe can only reach the hardcore.

Funnily enough, the Amazon UK page for Persona 5 has listed Square Enix as the publisher since last year. John Hardin said that it wasn't true and that he would attempt to contact them to remove them, however.

What a nightmare that would be.

People don't like to wait , many customers don't want to bother with multiple accounts
Why should we wait when such a HIGH PROFILE game would be out in many countries already ?

Shahadan

Yes, I can import, but is this really how things should be? Would you be fine with this situation, if it was the other way around and NA would potentially get P5 1 year later?

I'm from europe as well, but as I said above, my main concern would be regarding games on nintendo platforms (and NX probably, lol).

What I meant is, persona 5 should be the least of our concerns, and not even mentioning it's their biggest game so we'll get it regardless.

Zareka

As much as a pain in the ass it'll be to import P5, and the fact that I'd love to be able to easily recommend the game to friends without the import malarkey, it's stuff like SMTIVA I'm worried about. Imagine if NISA hadn't been around to release Atlus' 3DS output over here.

It's hard to buy the "Atlus aren't a big publisher" excuse when NISA which is arguably smaller/have less popular games than Atlus these days are able to publish some games (many of them their own) in the same week in Europe as they do in America.
This is what I don't get. I'd love to hear an in depth explanation for this from Atlus USA. There's no way NISA is that much bigger than Atlus, if they even are to begin with (I doubt it).

Because they shouldn't have to do that?

Even if they don't mind, that's a PS solution. What do they do for shitty region-locked stuff?

Top Bottom