• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No feathers in Jurassic Park 4 sparks debate and protest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikodemos

As I said, no direct evidence. I know it is assumed indirectly.
To quote from Wired: “We have as much evidence that T. rex was feathered, at least during some stage of its life, as we do that australopithecines like Lucy had hair”.

And the earliest maniraptorans, before birds split off, had feathers.

FZZ

Banned
I'm all for feathers. I'm sorry but dinosaurs are just fucking giant chickens and I think that's pretty bad ass.

As I said, no direct evidence. I know it is assumed indirectly.

Aren't the vast majority of dinosaur designs based on indirect assumptions/inferences? Like, we create simulations/representations of dinosaurs based on finding a fraction of its total bone structure, right?

Nikodemos

I'm all for feathers. I'm sorry but dinosaurs are just fucking giant chickens and I think that's pretty bad ass.

I'm OK with Allosaurus looking like this:

1497264-as-Smart-Object-1.jpeg

(though I think the scale is off)

Once again, I welcome the classic designs, but there should have been feathered ones as well. They could have got creative as hell, and really sparked the imagination of audiences.

Ix5S5RK.jpg

DarkFlow

Banned
^ This series has zero constancy with its designs, minus the T-Rex.

I don't get this argument. The concept is to bring prehistoric animals and modern man together, so yes some creative liberties with the realm of possibility have to be taken. Why does that mean that people shouldn't want the prehistoric animals to look like their respective prehistoric appearances?

You don't get that a movie wants to take artistic license with something that hasn't been alive for 60 million years...

Since we're posting paleoart, here's an entire thread about it.

Anyway, Jurassic Park greatly influences the public view of dinosaurs. Just look at all of the people in this thread that are angry about how feathered dinosaurs are ruining their childhoods and such. The film creators are obviously well aware of this, and knowing this, they are making the idea of scales-only dinosaurs persist. I feel that people who know that they have great influence on the public perception of a scientific subject must be responsible with what they present, and thus, Jurassic World should at least have a scene acknowledging that many real dinosaurs had feathers, including species that were already presented in the film with just scales. Like I said before, just have a reporter bring it up at a press conference in the film, and have Jurassic World's PR person say that their dinosaur designs are more popular with the kids or something.

You don't get that a movie wants to take artistic license with something that hasn't been alive for 60 million years...

If you read my OP, or other posts you'd see that I get that, and embrace that. Sorry- not trying to sound bitter, just feel like I keep saying the same things.

Thing is this franchise was built upon the foundation of creating modern, accurate dinosaurs and depicting them as animals. As the scientific understanding of Dinosaurs continues to evolve our depiction of them should as well. The choice to omit feathers from Jurassic World is a complete disregard to one of the movies central themes, and the ideology of designing the dinosaurs themselves.

I know some fans and scientists are blasting every detail and discrepancy- I'm not. I'm fine with the giant Mosasaurus, and 'bald' Tyrannosaurus and Raptors - in fact, thank god. it wouldn't be JP without them. But no modern Dinosaur deceptions? Why do a Dinosaur movie at that rate? That's what movies like King Kong exist for.

There's a research paper that debunks authors authority in the realm of science fiction? I'd like to read that. Link?

http://depositfiles.com/files/3guoafcx2

This is the intro.

6aGsTRO.jpg

lmao

and that's the problem with the world at the moment, people feeling their entitled to tell writers/musician/videogame makers or any other creative talent what do based on their fucking opinions.

I don't think you understand what the word opinion means.

Also, for fun, here's a link to what Thomas R Holtz Jr. said about The Lost World Jurassic Park. Tom is a renown paleontologist and he linked us this post today.

http://dml.cmnh.org/1997May/msg00762.html

This shows what an impact media can have on public knowledge. I will say, no movie is ever obligated to be accurate, but I tend to prefer certain measures being taken. The reason I'm actually upset with JW though is accuracy is in JPs foundation.

Of course not all of them are obligated. What you said is exactly the problem with Jurassic World and one of the points in the paper. The Jurassic Park franchise was fact based, with a mix of imagination. Now, even Power Rangers are more up to date than Jurassic World.

MathUser

I want to see dinosaurs with feathers too. I was shocked when I heard most dinosaurs probably had feathers. The T-Rex probably had feathers too. I seen that on the history channel I think.

Goldrush

Featherless Dinosaurs have been done enough times that it became boring. With this movie, they have a chance to "create" new monsters simply by more accurately portraying the dinosaurs they already did. The CG possibilities alone is mouth watering. Imagine the feathers rustling in the wind or a tail swooshing at the camera like hundreds of razor blades. Instead, they centered the movie around a chimera that isn't even a dinosaur.

^ This series has zero constancy with its designs, minus the T-Rex.

I don't get this argument. The concept is to bring prehistoric animals and modern man together, so yes some creative liberties with the realm of possibility have to be taken. Why does that mean that people shouldn't want the prehistoric animals to look like their respective prehistoric appearances?

Outside of the Velociraptors it was pretty consistent until Joe Johnson derailed everything with JP3.

I think feathered dinosaurs would have made the film look less generic as well and gave the movie some iconic imagery which it really is lacking currently. I think the reason the JW trailer did nothing for people is because we have seen CG reptile dinosaurs and monsters a billion times since the 90s that its nothing special or interesting anymore.

Dead Man

So how would you explain them now having feathers after not having feathers for the 20 years that the franchise has been around?

"We cloned them from this mosquito but then the mosquito remembered that it wasn't scientifically accurate and instantly mutated feathers onto pre-existing dinosaurs."

You don't. It is pretty fucking clear that each movie uses different designs for each dinosaur, including more recent discoveries in subsequent movies is not that complicated unless someone is the dumbest fucking movie watcher on the planet.

Yeah, it's crazy what thinking about them as actual animals (like our own) vs. scaly skinbags shrink-wrapped over a skeleton will do.

Qvoth

don't understand why some people thinks feathers are lame on dinosaurs, every concept art out there shows they still look good

I've tried. I swear to god I've tried

But I just can't bring myself to give a shit about non-feathered dinosaurs in Jurassic World. I'm a big science guy, but it's like.... such a non-issue

daman824

They could have had gotten creative and had some really fantastic imagery with all kinds of unique feather designs on the dinos. Pretty generic as it currently stands imo.

Coreda

eCOawKh.jpg

The feathered dinosaurs in DR were amazing to look at even with the animation flaws, and that was a made for TV special, without the budget of Jurassic Park. So CG limitations is bullshit.

The color design and patterns are nice on this one. The 'wings' and tail I can imagine having a laugh at though, but seeing them rip through things would add a kind 'f--- what you think I'm exotic and terrifying'.

I think I'd still have a laugh.

SharkJAW

I've tried. I swear to god I've tried

But I just can't bring myself to give a shit about non-feathered dinosaurs in Jurassic World. I'm a big science guy, but it's like.... such a non-issue
This is how I feel about it. There's always going to be something to nitpick, but I guess this just isn't a battle of mine.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I don't really care feathered/scaled, it's a science fiction movie, the design team have freedom to design the dinosaurs as accurate or inaccurate as they wish.

If they pulled this with a documentary like Walking With Dinosaurs, I'd understand the outrage. But this is entertainment, not education.

Sorry for the colossal bump, but I figured this was still an apt subject. I debated making a new thread, but figured this would serve the same purpose.

Now that the Jurassic World trailer is here, what are peoples thoughts?

As I've voiced before in the official thread I'm not too impressed with what I saw, and I'm still pretty upset with the "No feathers" decision.

I mean, just imagine what a group of talented 3D molders and film makers could do with material like this
0d16a1c4db9748d4e9c8f3dd16e4ab0f.jpg

198b83e1b339fbac97163317d9f71224.jpg

speed_paint___insect_eater_by_zombiesaurian-d7fkvmc.png

utahraptor_at_dawn_by_ewilloughby-d5s1llu.jpg

861de95ae4ce65035fd17cad3a823405.jpg

fc0aeda3d6f63d3fbc4225e22c1a91fd.jpg

It would have been so fresh to see theropods that looked like this in Jurassic World's trailer; this was the perfect opportunity to rejuvenate the brand from an aesthetic/thematic point of view while also passively educating the public and honoring the principles behind JP1 in the process.

Good. Sometimes fiction is cooler than reality.

Nope.
Shrink wrapped un-naturalistic JP theropods look as goofy and outdated as this
1868dinosaurs.gif

to me.

Loofy

eCOawKh.jpg

3nuqktn.jpg

The feathered dinosaurs in DR were amazing to look at even with the animation flaws, and that was a made for TV special, without the budget of Jurassic Park. So CG limitations is bullshit.
This just looks weird imo, are there any birds today with claws for hands and wings?

Ominym

Banned
It's a movie, plain and simple. If you can't suspend your disbelief for a brief period of time I don't know what to tell you.

Nikodemos

As I've voiced before in the official thread I'm not too impressed with what I saw, and I'm still pretty upset with the "No feathers" decision.

I mean, just imagine what a group of talented 3D molders and film makers could do with material like this

It would have been so fresh to see theropods that looked like this in Jurassic World's trailer; this was the perfect opportunity to rejuvenate the brand from an aesthetic/thematic point of view while also passively educating the public and honoring the principles behind JP1 in the process.
Yeah, they could have hired the likes of Lacerda, Willoughby, Csotonyi etc. for art, dioramas, scene composition and other work. They could've gone wild with that Mark 2 TressFX. But no, we get the same formula from 1991, despite having bloody 20 years between then and now.

This just looks weird imo, are there any birds today with claws for hands and wings?
Hoatzins have two claws on each wing as chicks. They atrophy as the wings grow and disappear completely after fledging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom