• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mafia III Review Copies Ahead of Launch

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I don't care, I get to murder KKK members. I'm getting this game no matter what. I think it's going to be good though.

The big problem with this is that it is very controlled playing. Those folks were not using their own systems, were not discussing the performance and certain topics etc. The commentary was basically not negative without choice.

Meanwhile with something like Civ VI, they did that at first while it was very early, and now it is out there with streamers so they can do what they want. Not everything is in or even final, but they can freely discuss it, play it without limit, and be critical. That is what should happen along with proper reviews prior to release

You couldn't of said it better myself, Civ VI is doing this in a good way by having no limit to pre-release reviews

Meanwhile Mafia 3 had a very controlled environment and people were only allowed to not talk negative about the game. Now although games in the past that did this ending up being good that's still something I'm very much against.

Except for the fact that it was a critical success and loved by most fans but you're right your single opinion completely disregards all that and it's a terrible shitty game /s
Congrats, it was a critical success in the medium of blowhard reviewers and whatever fan following it has likes it, shame about their taste.

The game is uniformly garbage up and down, with none of the game mechanics batting more than competent and some being trash. You want your games loaded with filler driving and trash missions like selling cigs, more power to you.

And don't say the story was good, because it wasn't, get real, and congrats, you made the 200th best Italian mob story. What an accomplishment for the video game medium.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don't have any doubts about the story/characters/missions/sound...etc, but this could be due to potential technical issues maybe? It looks blurry on pretty much every preview video and still has those stutters.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
"Fun" - Open World Games

Is this supposed to be a PARODY of box quotes?

JHEHs2P.png

Like the main character. And love the setting. And looks fairly fun. So I'm picking it up regardless of reviews.

Just hope it plays well.

Maybe you should be smart and wait for others to see if it is instead of potentially wasting your money. I like the story and setting as well but if the game ends up being repetitive (which a few places like Easy Allies has said about their time with the game) and potentially buggy (which the awful AI seems to hint at) then I can just watch the story stuff on Youtube.

Wagram

I'm still not of the mindset that no review copies = a bad experience. Never have been. However, it's always best to wait and see anyways. The game will be at the store when you want it.

I don't have any doubts about the story/characters/missions/sound...etc, but this could be due to potential technical issues maybe? It looks blurry on pretty much every preview video and still has those stutters.
That's my only worry when the game launches. I've seen enough of it to know that I'll like the game on a mechanical level.

Rellik

I'm waiting for them to release the stuff they said was coming after launch anyway. No way am I playing it day 1 without it. Then I'll buy it and make my own judgement. If it's trash then I'll refund it. Simple.

When the reviews come means nothing.

Tohsaka

I don't see how they can mess this one up, unless the game is actually radically different from what they've shown so far or is a technical mess.

Fractal

Banned
Well, going by the trailers I've seen, can't say I'm too impressed... the game looks like a poor man's GTA. I like the setting, but the actual gameplay, driving and shooting looks clumsy, and I'm skeptical of the open world "activities." I really enjoyed how the game world was handled in the previous games, where we had a small city with a very limited number of activities which served only as a backdrop to the story... must admit I'm sad they moved away from it since it's not an approach we see often, and I thought it was really well done. For example, in Mafia 2, I especially enjoyed the early winter section of the game, had a great atmosphere, too bad it was over so quickly...

That said, will check the game out eventually, but I'm in no hurry...

Moze

Banned
The game is by a new studio too. Hard to tell how good the game is going to be. It has always looked very bland to me.

I don't see how they can mess this one up, unless the game is actually radically different from what they've shown so far or is a technical mess.

I'd hold off just to be safe, considering the recent track record big budget games have had recently. Like, just give it a day or two before buying.

Tovarisc

As long story is at least decent and doesn't have any major technical issues I think I can get 39€s worth from this. Review stinker or not.

Drewfonse

It was going to be hard finding time to play both Vermintide and Mafia 3 on the ps4 next week anyway, so what's a few more days to see if it turns out well?

Petrae

Marketing has come to the conclusion that youtubers will sell their game better than any site reviews it seems.

Which makes sense. Why chance negative reviews on launch day to kill possible sales interest? Give it to YouTubers who are more than willing to go to bat for the game and talk abut how awesome it is. Let reviewers play it after launch and do their damage later.

YouTube and Twitch give publishers a vast number of possible and eager candidates to push their games. Gaming press reviews pre-release really aren't as necessary as they once were, because the internet empowers more than just professionals. Pre-release is for marketing; post-release is for everyone else.

This is strange. They haven't been shy with their youtube channel as they are showing everything. The collectors edition is one of the best ever and I loved Mafia 1 and 2. Heres hoping the game is great!

dreamfall

I'm really excited. Preloaded and all, even with review scores all over the place, it's the most I've been hyped for a game since Red Dead Redemption. I love that Hangar 13 is gambling to present a new take on the typical crime mob story, and frankly that there is more diversity in their narrative. I hope their creation of New Bordeaux is full of life, ready for it to be everything!

MiguelItUp

There have already been a number of occurrences like this where the game still came out solid. DOOM was just one exception, but it wasn't the only one. So it's not an immediate red flag for me. It still looks interesting, so it has my attention regardless.

BTW, hasn't this been something that has happened pretty frequently with 2K? I feel like there were a number of titles that came out just fine that were theirs, but I could be mistaken.

meerak

In an ideal world, sure. In that ideal world though, I'd prefer games just release as finished products with alloted time for reviewing before launch, not hammered out with a 46gig day 1 patch finalized the night before.

That's definitely more ideal, I agree.

Bluecondor

I just went and preordered the deluxe edition of the game yesterday.

A third person open world organized crime game set in 1960s New Orleans is an absolute must play for me. Each of the three DLC episodes sound really interesting, so I am in for those as well.

Even if the reviewers/GAF hammer the game, it's still a must play for me, so there is 0% risk for me preordering this.

gdt

Goddamit. This is no good. I already preordered because I got it at $34 so I won't be too burned, but I hope it's worth my free time.

Aranath

Even though I'm a big fan of Mafia II, I decided to hold off on this and wait for reviews and performance feedback. I'm really hoping it's worry over nothing, but this is always disconcerting.

iNvid02

this was gonna be a day one purchase but the timing turned out to be no good for me, maybe it was a good thing, hoping for doom like scenario but expecting the worst

Top Bottom