• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Early Impressions/Reviews-in-progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeman76

PC release in a few hours meaning the amount of people ownign the game will go to another stratosphere. This thread will be hell soon....and the next one wont be any better. Seems this game brings out the inner harshness in many people.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Can someone else take this thread over or get a mod update? The OP has not updated anything in three days now...
Yep. If you can't commit to keep updating the review scores then you shouldn't be making the thread in the first place.

Pretty poor job OP.

Well, all the complains about the lack of providing a clear image of the game and its feature was pretty justified, although the fanbase acted quite defensive.

leng jai

The most hilarious thing about NMS is that it's essentially a niche game which a lot more people are interested in due to its marketing, graphics and AAA price tag. There's thousands of posts about it already on the forum from people who were never going to like the premise and game play loop in the first place.

heringer

PC release in a few hours meaning the amount of people ownign the game will go to another stratosphere. This thread will be hell soon....and the next one wont be any better. Seems this game brings out the inner harshness in many people.

Actually, PC players will probably buy the game with expectations adjusted, so they will probably be more positive on the game. Assuming it's a good port, as PC players can be brutal with poor PC ports.

The most hilarious thing about NMS is that it's essentially a niche game which a lot more people are interested in due to its marketing, graphics and AAA price tag. There's thousands of posts about it already on the forum from people who were never going to like the premise and game play loop in the first place.

? I and many more could have liked the game if it had more variety and depth. Or good gameplay mechanics. (such as combat)

Damn, this game has to be one of the biggest blow ups in the history of blow ups.

Well, by leaving things so ambiguous and only vaguely describing what can be done, they've opened the doors to failing to meet those imagined possibilities. Hello Games and Sony simply didn't do a good job of managing expectations...and I think they added more expectations by not being really upfront about a lot of what the hard limits (multiplayer) are in a crowded market full of options to suit a player who wants exploration/gathering/crafting. Once this thing cools, they had better be quick and regular about fixes and content updates. I imagine it will sell okay right now, but it has to live up to what they wanted so badly to get everyone imagining. I'm toying with not playing my copy until a major update hits that might address the thinness of the experience.

Plum

So from what I've seen this definitely looks like it's going to go into the "wait for a good sale" pile. Whilst I love the idea of exploring new planets the gameplay cycle surrounding it just doesn't seem all that great, exploration is not enough of an incentive for me to drop £40 on this (Space Engine is pretty good for that right now, it just doesn't have life-forms).

Klyka

Banned
Actually, PC players will probably buy the game with expectations adjusted, so they will probably be more positive on the game. Assuming it's a good port, as PC players can be brutal with poor PC ports.

Welcome to Steam Reviews, I will be your guide
98QR2DJ.png

There is nothing niche about No Man's Sky's basic idea.

All the features and scale were just too much for Hello Games

Lakitu

st5fu
It delivered to my expectations really -- something that caters to my space exploration itch (entering into a planets atmosphere and flying through space is so soothing) but ultimately on the ground is fun at first but ultimately very repetitive. I definitely feel Jim Sterling's review has some valid points. But there is nothing else like it, and I love space, so this caters to that. If you like the gameplay loop (discovering species/landmarks, exploring the same buildings/ruins and resource gathering), you'll like it.

In terms of planets, I haven't seen anything vibrant or as nice as the ones that I saw when it was first shown off which is another disappointment. I've explored 7 currently and they're all pretty similar. I guess I'm just unlucky.

Absolutely reasonable that you think long and hard about game purchases if you're on a tight budget. But if you're in that spot, then aren't you're more in the "this is either a purchase or not a purchase at all" spot, rather then the "this feel more like $40 game then a $60" spot?

I'm in that exact same spot being the age I am with limited time and finances to let loose on my hobby and I most definitely treat purchases on price point.

I've bought a game that was $10 less over the one I wanted slightly more. I know it sounds pretty stingy and ridiculous when I spell it out, but it's sadly true.

I think the bottom line is that there is a certain assumption, or implication, what a $60 price tag 'gets' you, whether that assumption is justified or not. Quite frankly, after the time I spent with NMS at my friend's house, I would've been pissed if I had dropped $60 on it. I don't have any logical reasoning breakdown for this at all but it just didn't 'feel' like a game that should be full price to me.

moggio

Banned

On PC there are many alternatives, more feature packed at a cheaper price.

T.O.P

Banned
Heh i'm expecting the contrary, there's way more sandbox/crafting/exploration games on PC that on console

Word of mouth is gonna make it or break it

PepperedHam

It delivered to my expectations really -- something that caters to my space exploration itch (entering into a planets atmosphere and flying through space is so soothing) but ultimately on the ground is fun at first but ultimately very repetitive. I definitely feel Jim Sterling's review has some valid points. But there is nothing else like it, and I love space, so this caters to that. If you like the gameplay loop (discovering species/landmarks, exploring the same buildings/ruins and resource gathering), you'll like it.

In terms of planets, I haven't seen anything vibrant or as nice as the ones that I saw when it was first shown off which is another disappointment. I've explored 7 currently and they're all pretty similar. I guess I'm just unlucky.
Might just be the system you're in. I warped off into my second system and the first planet I visited after spending lots of time on some brown and greenish looking turds was this big ol' red forest.

heringer

On PC there are many alternatives, more feature packed at a cheaper price.

That's true (though I'm not sure I agree there are many alternatives that are more feature packed). On the other hand, it's a genre (survival) that gels well with the audience on Steam, and now players know what they are getting into (a survival game).

I guess it's up in the air. I feel that if the port is good, the reception will be better than it was on PS4.

The Guardian
4/5

Hello Games has created a gorgeously realised, constantly regenerating universe for players to get lost in, where the incredible journey trumps the destination

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...t_a-technology_b-gdntech#link_time=1471008169

This is the kind of game that you’ll see screenshotted all over Twitter, an experience made to be shared not in the direct way that some apparently envisaged, but in postcard-style snaps of places your friends will probably never go. No Man’s Sky is a way to experience the kinds of cool moments you read about in old sci-fi novels – shoot a hole through an asteroid and fly through it, shelter in a cave to watch a deadly storm tear across an alien landscape, or make friends with a dinosaur (obviously) – all to an evocative procedural post-rock soundtrack from 65daysofstatic. The planets you, and probably only you, will discover can be so lovely that it feels bittersweet to know that you’ll leave them behind when you jump to the next star. But then, in an essentially infinite galaxy, there’s always something new to discover.

SomTervo

Just in general, I would not buy a 7/10 game for $60. But the score could still go up. A lot of sites haven't posted full reviews yet.

Ten years ago I would have said the same thing but in the last few years I've found a few near-favourite-tier games which got 6/10s and 7/10s in the averaged ratings. I've learned not really to care about reviews, as long as it's not low or sub-5s across the piece.

I agree re the score though.

And weren't we supposed to get a proper 'actual scored reviews' thread?

Think I'm on board with this.

There is nothing niche about No Man's Sky's basic idea.

All the features and scale were just too much for Hello Games

No they weren't? The game has completely delivered on its scale. The in-betweens and the fine print perhaps haven't been executed as promised, but the actual scale of the universe and the scale of planets and what we spend most of our time doing 100% has.

Duxxy3

Ten years ago I would have said the same thing but in the last few years I've found a few near-favourite-tier games which got 6/10s and 7/10s in the averaged ratings. I've learned not really to care about reviews, as long as it's not low or sub-5s across the piece.

I agree re the score though.

And weren't we supposed to get a proper 'actual scored reviews' thread?

Think I'm on board with this.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a 7/10 game at some point. Just not for $60.

SomTervo

Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a 7/10 game at some point. Just not for $60.

Now you mention it, I don't usually wait on review scores before buying. I just read everything I can about a game before buying (written previews are most valuable) and I base it on that. If it's a game I missed out on, I'll check scores for good measure.

Hasn't done me wrong yet.

Except Destiny.

Which was a crock of shit.

Wok

Welcome to Steam Reviews, I will be your guide
98QR2DJ.png

To be fair, if the reviewer really stopped playing after only 800 hours, he most likely did not enjoy the game to the point he would recommend it. I don't want to launch that debate again, but it all boils down to what entices you to play further, and it is not always raw fun or enjoyment. Unless the review is a joke, he may be actually spot on: children learn faster than grown-ups, they usually have more leisure time than people who have a job or other responsibilities, and they have shorter reaction times.

SkylineRKR

7/10 is pretty good nowadays.

It used to rain 10's back in the day and anything below a 9 was considered questionable (dem Gerstmann death threats). That has changed. Doom is at 85% average but its my GOTY so far.

Klyka

Banned
To be fair, if the reviewer really stopped playing after only 800 hours, he most likely did not enjoy the game to the point he would recommend it. I don't want to launch that debate again, but it all boils down to what entices you to play further, and it is not always raw fun or enjoyment. Unless the review is a joke, he may be actually spot on: children learn faster than grown-ups, they usually have more leisure time than people who have a job or other responsibilities, and they have shorter reaction times.

Futurama_fry_looking_squint2.jpg

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Seems if I want "Euro Truck Simulator in space" Elite: Dangerous is the far better choice. Oh well.
That's what I've been getting out of a lot of impressions so far. That, if I want to play something like NMS that isn't as shallow and has more going on, Elite is the way to go.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That Jim Sterling review really opened the flood gates. Lots of "I knew it" and "It's everything I feared". It was the first review. Confirmation Bias: The Thread.

Pretty much.

I've lost count of the amount of times a positive review has been attacked for the reviewer's own personal experience with the game, as if it's a crime against humanity that the reviewer feels the way they do, whereas I've yet to see anyone call out Jim Stirling's ridiculous criticism about not being able to ride a dinosaur.

I mean you even had a guy earlier on claim that the only positive reviews were coming from sites that have "Playstation" in their names, despite blatant evidence to the contrary.

At a certain point it devolves from being a constructive discussion to just plain old shit posting.

TitusTroy

the question of what you "do" in No Man's Sky has been answered now that the game is released. You explore, you mine stuff and you sell stuff. The core loop is about grabbing what you need or can sell to upgrade your equipment to get closer to the center of the galaxy

Walt Williams has a long history in AAA gaming, having worked on titles like Spec Ops: The Line, The Darkness 2, BioShock 2, an unannounced game coming in 2017 and a book on the way about working in the AAA industry called Significant Zero. He knows a thing or two about writing and design, and his most recent tweets about No Man's Sky did a great job of summarizing something that has been bothering me for a while...

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/11/12441124/no-mans-sky-problem-strip-mining

heringer

That's what I've been getting out of a lot of impressions so far. That, if I want to play something like NMS that isn't as shallow and has more going on, Elite is the way to go.

Elite isn't like NMS, at all. Some people are throwing this comparison but it's just not apt.

No they weren't? The game has completely delivered on its scale. The in-betweens and the fine print perhaps haven't been executed as promised, but the actual scale of the universe and the scale of planets and what we spend most of our time doing 100% has.

It's a pretty hollow experience and that's the thing that breaks No Man's Sky's.

jaaz

If you're getting into Elite because you want a better NMS, you will be solely disappointed the first time you "dock" at a space station or land on the surface of a planet (one you can actually land on that is).

Ultryx

It seems like people were expecting this to be something more than a sandbox survival kind of game. Similar to the way Dark Souls works, I think you end up piecing together some of the lore over time from pieces of items or contact you make.

My hype has definitely subsided a little, but I think I'm still going to buy this to play at 10am today. I've been super excited for this for a long time. And I generally enjoy survival games so I'm fairly sure I will end up enjoying this still.

RangerX

Banned
The Impressions in here and Sterling's review have made me hold off on buying the game. It does seem like tedium will set in pretty quickly.

Hmm, I've played Elite and it depends what you want from "more going on". Elite has a functioning in game economy and much better ship to ship combat. The flying in Elite is flight simulator level, it's pretty bad if you don't have a flight stick trying to map everything to the pad.

You can't exit your ship, the planets that you can land on have nothing at all on them.

It does have multiplayer, but if you are real far away from the system your friend is in you are still going to be flying for 6 hours to meet them.

jaaz

Best hope for a better NMS still lies in Star Citizen, but we are years away from seeing if they can pull it off. I am encouraged by what I see though. The release of Alpha 2.7 at year end should give us some indication on whether they will be successful, as it will introduce atmospheric flight and landing on procedurally generated planets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom