• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky info from Game Informer

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes.

You can play however you want. They've stated that everything is up to player. If you want, you never have to fight at all, and instead support yourself with gathering and trading.

Again, the issue is not that you can't play however you want, but if you have anything to do if you play whatever you want. To take your earlier example, if you can gather enough cash for the space ship you want by avoiding fighting. Or if you can get enough resources by avoiding the robots. Etc. Can you explore without fuel and a proper spaceship? No. Can you get those by still playing as you want or you are force into the FPS, MMO or whatever? So that's the question that of course can't be answered now, is there enough to do for each playing style included in this game. Enough to get upgrades and ships, enough to not get boring and repetitive. And this will be clear only when the people will have the game. Because of course the developers will answer "yes". And not because they want to deceive, but because they have a game concept in mind that might differ from what a gamer expects. Without more gameplay videos there is no clear answer for this. And even then, you can't estimate how much repetitive can it get without playing it for long.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Too much (unfounded) hopes and expectations are put on this game. As far as pre-release hypefest letdowns go, this one's going to be bad.
In a thread that hasn't even reached 500 responses yet, and with extensive help from the "concerned" crowd to get even this far, I think your gauge may need re-calibrating.

E92 M3

Again, the issue is not that you can't play however you want, but if you have anything to do if you play whatever you want. To take your earlier example, if you can gather enough cash for the space ship you want by avoiding fighting. Or if you can get enough resources by avoiding the robots. Etc. Can you explore without fuel and a proper spaceship? No. Can you get those by still playing as you want or you are force into the FPS, MMO or whatever? So that's the question that of course can't be answered now, is there enough to do for each playing style included in this game. Enough to get upgrades and ships, enough to not get boring and repetitive. And this will be clear only when the people will have the game. Because of course the developers will answer "yes". And not because they want to deceive, but because they have a game concept in mind that might differ from what a gamer expects. Without more gameplay videos there is no clear answer for this. And even then, you can't estimate how much repetitive can it get without playing it for long.

First of all, I don't think there is a fuel gauge - because that would be very dumb and limit exploration too much. Would actually turn me off from the game. They limit us by ship and engine type. So, we can't just go into hyperspace right from the get go - only the solar system would be accessible. And like I said earlier, I expect the same from this game as I did from Minecraft when it was still being developed by Notch. I enjoy exploration and just walking around with gameplay elements thrown in. To me, there aren't enough games out there that cater to people that just want to explore and have random adventures. And that brings me back to the old point: Everyone that is excited knows what the game is about and brings to the table. Our expectations are based on what we know. So, when people come in here and say "lol be prepared to be disappointed, shit will suck." it sounds like basic drive-by trolling that is popular for NMS and Destiny at the moment.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Is this time exclusive for Sony? So, eventually it will come to Xbox One but it will be quite a while?

Still coming to PC?

Am I the only one who sees this more and more like a modern take on Starflight (DOS, Genesis) ?

Exactly, and IronSeed and Protostar (aka Starflight 3). That's one of the reasons I'm so excited, because NMS sounds like a more polished yet (arguably unfortunately) simplified version of those games. One of the main problems I have with those old games is the more cumbersome combat and maybe some archaic design choices, so ideally a game with the same complexity but with more fun and polished combat would be great. NMS does its own spin on it but it seems it might be good nevertheless.

i'm really rooting for the 10 or so guys/girls making the game. KEEP AT IT. don't release the game until it's done and all the systems are in place and working well!

although i will be really happy just flying in space and in and out of planets. just the thought of approaching a desert planet or something and entering the atmosphere and casually flying and just admiring the scenery gets me hyped. i don't really need anything else. well some nice ambient music would be cool too.

Handy Fake

i'm really rooting for the 10 or so guys/girls making the game. KEEP AT IT. don't release the game until it's done and all the systems are in place and working well!

although i will be really happy just flying in space and in and out of planets. just the thought of approaching a desert planet or something and entering the atmosphere and casually flying and just admiring the scenery gets me hyped. i don't really need anything else. well some nice ambient music would be cool too.

You just want to keep Sean Murray as a pet, don't you, the self-effacingingly happy little bastard.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Rumor has it that at the center of the universe there is some kind object. Some say it's a cube. Opening the cube will require some extra effort, since the contents are rumored to grant god-like powers (over the rest of the galaxy?). Another contradictory rumor alleges that the contents of cube is something much more mundane, a thing that'll help you see the galaxy from a different perspective... Something like Peter Molyneux's tears.

cs1

Banned
So what's the deal with platforms this is releasing for? How come they are not being honest with what platforms they are releasing on and why is it ok for them to be so coy about it and not be called out?

Mdot

Man, this sounds awesome. I'm being cautiously optimistic about all they're promising, but it's tough to contain the hype train.

Did they provide an estimated release window? I hope they just perfect it and take their time.

Derp

So what's the deal with platforms this is releasing for? How come they are not being honest with what platforms they are releasing on and why is it ok for them to be so coy about it and not be called out?
Sony. Money.

Handy Fake

As I remember (forgive me if I'm wrong), due to the small size of the team they're initially developing it on PS4 and other versions will come after. I'm presuming it's just a manpower/time thing.

Portugeezer

Oh come on you know what I'm talking about, all the coy "Console debut" stuff and then infinite silence their after as to what that actually meant.

Other games and Devs are usually grilled when this type of stuff happens but not seemingly this gamer.

What kind of grilling? We know it will also be on PC later on.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Timed exclusive. Meaning PC later and we're not sure about Xbox. I'll be buying a PS4 to play this ASAP.

Ugh :( I really thought this was launching on PC at the same time as PS4?

:( I'm not buying another console just to play this one game. Nothing else on PS4 interests me at all.

In a thread that hasn't even reached 500 responses yet, and with extensive help from the "concerned" crowd to get even this far, I think your gauge may need re-calibrating.

You're not going to convince anyone of that. It was voted most anticipated new game at E3. Bloodborne might be the only other game with this much pre-release hype (more than warranted in that case).

Derp

Probably, but why is this OK? Where's the inquiry as to what is going on with the planned release platforms?
Well for consumers it's not okay because we aren't completely informed. For Sony and Hello Games it's perfecto. They won't be clear on what platforms it'll eventually come out for because Sony silenced them with the power of dollars. They did say at one point that they would like to get it out on PC. Which I find hilarious because what the hell were they originally developing it for? Probably PC, and then Sony came along and flexed its muscles.

But yeah, expect it exclusively on PS4 for a while, then PC. That's all we know.

cs1

Banned
What king of grilling? We know it will also be on PC later on.

So timed Exclsuive for the PS4, showing up later on the PC and dead silent on the Xbox one?

We've had heated threads about Exclusive Witcher 3 LE stickers and cloth Maps, why is it with this game this certain level of uncertainty about timed exclusive is accepted?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This currently my most hyped game out of anything, I really hope it delivers.

I hope the music is just as epic in scale as the game sounds it's going to be. One of the main things that made Interstellar so epic was Hans Zimmer's score.

Also, I like the fact that they seem to be focusing on single player exploration, it makes the game feel more personal to me.

They're not exactly being coy, they clearly said PS4 first, PC later and anything else even later.

If you wanna play this game when it launches, the PS4 is the only platform you can do that on.

cs1

Banned
Well for consumers it's not okay because we aren't completely informed. For Sony and Hello Games it's perfecto. They won't be clear on what platforms it'll eventually come out for because Sony silenced them with the power of dollars. They did say at one point that they would like to get it out on PC. Which I find hilarious because what the hell were they originally developing it for? Probably PC, and then Sony came along and flexed its muscles.

But yeah, expect it exclusively on PS4 for a while, then PC. That's all we know.

So why is that ok now? These similar issues for other games are usually beaten to death here.

Haunted

Rumor has it that at the center of the universe there is some kind object. Some day it's a cube. Opening the cube will require some extra effort, since the contents are rumored to grant god-like powers (over the rest of the galaxy?). Another contradictory rumor alleges that the contents of cube is something much more mundane, that will help you see the galaxy from a different perspective... Something like Peter Molyneux's tears.

8qPxq.gif

Nzyme32

Ugh :( I really thought this was launching on PC at the same time as PS4?

:( I'm not buying another console just to play this one game. Nothing else on PS4 interests me at all.

Nah, it's getting the "playstation exclusive" treatment. PC will be quite a way out I'd guess. Still, it's nice to know it is coming regardless

Derp

So timed Exclsuive for the PS4, showing up later on the PC and dead silent on the Xbox one?

We've had heated threads about Exclusive Witcher 3 LE stickers and cloth Maps, why is it with this game this certain level of uncertainty about timed exclusive is accepted?
Because of whatever partnership they have with Sony. Sony would rather you think it's completely exclusive, so of course they're going to sound unclear on everything.

If you're asking why we are accepting this behaviour, it's because regardless of whether you accept it or not, it won't change, so people just learn to accept it. Unless we boycott (which won't happen because PS4 owners have no reason to, and PC owners will eventually have no reason to) we won't achieve anything.

I completely understand what you mean and I agree with you 100%. It's shitty that it's ended up like this. But what can we do, really? Who's gonna go against them? The people that are getting the game? Nope.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
First of all, I don't think there is a fuel gauge - because that would be very dumb and limit exploration too much. Would actually turn me off from the game.

It's in the OP.

At first you need a new hyperdrive and fuel so you cant go far. you need money to buy upgrades and fuel,

Hauling resources from one system to another can be profitable but you need to calculate how much fuel you are wasting to see if it is worth it.

Here is a partial list of upgrades:

Ships - Shields, laser beams, plasma shot, rapid fire shots, energy torpedo, wing (maneuverability), hull (additional stats shows if it allows ships to land in toxic areas, etc.), engine, hyperdrive, cargo space (also fuel), cloaking

cs1

Banned
Because of whatever partnership they have with Sony. Sony would rather you think it's conpletely exclusive, so of course they're going to sound unclear on everything.

If you're asking why we are accepting this behaviour, it's because regardless of whether you accept it or not, it won't change, so people just learn to accept it. Unless we boycott (which won't happen because PS4 owners have no reason to, and PC owners will eventually have no reason to) we won't achieve anything.

Understood but it seems timed exclusivity usually causes alot more disruption and anger among gamers from what I have seen recently, (twitter campaigns, multiple threads on various forums with hundreds of posts, demanding boycotts, multipe petitions etc.) Yet for this game their is none of that.

I'm curious as to what it is about this game that exempts it from the usual gamer anger about timed exclusivity.

Portugeezer

Understood but it seems timed exclusivity usually causes alot more disruption and anger among gamers from what I have seen recently, (twitter campaigns, multiple threads on various forums with hundreds of posts, demanding boycotts, multipe petitions etc.) Yet for this game their is none of that.

I'm curious as to what it is about this game that exempts it from the usual gamer anger about timed exclusivity.

Oh right, because it's coming to PS4. So no one cares about any XB1 version.

Happy now?

cs1

Banned
Oh right, because it's coming to PS4. So no one cares about any XB1 version.

Happy now?

No, I was simply wondering why it is the case with this game. Anyone paying attention lately can see that usually timed exclusivity ends up being a pretty big issue with gamers and yet this game seems to be the exception.

spekkeh

Banned
this small group will be expected by neogaf to produce a game of epic proportions :( The game might turn out great fun, but how much hand crafted detail and depth can be packed into a game with a team the size of Resogun?
Yes, I'm starting to fear they want to have it so big that it's basically all systems and no meaning, and therefore more like interacting with a spreadsheet than a game with authorial intent. Still, really hoping to be proven wrong. At least it looks very pretty.

Tigress

Sony. Money.

As I remember (forgive me if I'm wrong), due to the small size of the team they're initially developing it on PS4 and other versions will come after. I'm presuming it's just a manpower/time thing.

I would guess the second option is more likely with maybe a little of the first. I doubt a 4 man or even 10
Man team is going to be able to do two versions at once (unless both pc and ps4 want to wait a much longer time). And it is possible just money swayed them to pick ps4 first. Or it could be that Sony was more accommodating and helpful (still it is Sony giving them incentive in some way).

See my reply above. For to one this isn't a large company that could easily do both versions at once so they would have to choose one and they are not being payed to purposely leave out one. Not to mention this isn't a sequel to a previous game that is very story oriented leaving one side hanging for longer.

That being said, some of us don't think it's that horrible ms paywalled tomb raider (I suspect that's what you are thinking of?). It's just business, it will definitely benefit ms, and I'm not sure how we expect ms to not do something that will sell their item more. They aren't concerned about ps players as those aren't their customers. Now square? I could at least see an argument why to be upset with them as they are burning more than half of their customers with this move. Still, I'm just happy we'll (ps4 only owners) will get a chance eventually to play it. But that's probably because while I enjoyed the game it's not a high priority one so I'll probably get it when I can get a good deal on it.

nded

No, I was simply wondering why it is the case with this game. Anyone paying attention lately can see that usually timed exclusivity ends up being a pretty big issue with gamers and yet this game seems to be the exception.

Probably because this game has been heavily promoted under the Sony banner right from the start and nobody's discussed it showing up on XBone anytime soon, even if it's technically possible.

Just the size of the universe, I suppose.

It's like... even if you can identify via the star map where you are relative to each other and you decide to both start heading into the direction of the other and meet halfway... it could literally take years before you actually meet.
Years? No. Let's look at this logically. First, let's assume the galaxy is spherical. Given that you start at the rim and they say it will take 40 to 100 hours to get to the center, we have an idea for how long it well take to travel the radius. Now if you and your friend get as unlucky as possible and end up on complete opposite sides of the world, we can estimate that it will either take:

A) 200 hours on the long end if only you are traveling towards the other player
B) 100 hours on the long end if both players move to each other
C) 80 hours on the short end if only you are traveling towards the other player
D) 40 hours on the short end if both players move to each other.

Now given some other assumptions such as not being on polar ends of each other and devs overestimating how long stuff takes, I imagine you could meet up with a friend over the course of a weekend and then explore together moving forward.

Derp

Well there is a bit of anger, but you're right in saying that it's not as prominent. My guess is it's because of the platforms it's releasing on, to be blunt.

Take the Tomb Raider sequel incident for example. A lot of people that stood up against the fact that they were so unclear on the Xbox One exclusivity aspect on things. The people who stood up were PS4 and PC players. That's a lot of people.

In this case the only people with a problem, I would assume, are some of the Xbox users. Rather small in comparison.

But I would also argue that the difference in games is a factor. This title is unproven. It hasn't established a proper fan base yet, it's a completely new IP and it's an indie game. Exclusivity in this circumstance isn't surprising. It's only surprising when it becomes inconsistent in the platforms it's attached to (like Tomb Raider). Tomb Raider is part of a series that has been on both all 3 platforms, so when exclusivity comes into play people get worried.

Apart from that, I this seems quite normal to me. I think your comparing it to games in different situations.

Could you give an example? That would make it easier to compare, instead of me using Tomb Raider as an example lol.

But yeah, that's my take on it.

Nzyme32

Sony. Money.

On the one hand that is true, but it also just seems to be that that mentality is ingrained into this industry, where obfuscation of details on a platfrom basis for the "exclusive" titles rather than the focus being on the game and everywhere that it will be, capitalising on all interested users.

I don't really blame them (sony), in the sense that they have put money into retaining it, for the purpose of advertising it as a showpiece for their system, and want that attention squarely on them and the game. It is a shame that that then precludes a developer for being open about how that plays out on other platforms and capitalising on all interested parties instead.

I did find the Grim Fandango situation very amusing though, as Tim Shafer had to coyly hint at other versions till actually being able to make a song and dance about simultaneous launch on all the platforms

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
You're not going to convince anyone of that. It was voted most anticipated new game at E3. Bloodborne might be the only other game with this much pre-release hype (more than warranted in that case).
Oooh, a most anticipated award. At E3. We're positively out of control here!

None of the NMS related threads thus far has yet to even tip the scales when it comes to the kind of out-of-control pre-release hypefests that GAF can be known for at times. No need to convince anyone, that's just self-evident.

nded

Now given some other assumptions such as not being on polar ends of each other and devs overestimating how long stuff takes, I imagine you could meet up with a friend over the course of a weekend and then explore together moving forward.

This is, of course, assuming there's an easy way to track your friend's precise location across the galaxy. If there isn't, and what the devs say about players not knowing their own appearance and a million players being able to occupy a planet without meeting each other is true, then even just finding each other can be quite an ordeal.

I wish running in to other players was going to be a slightly more common experience, but I understand not wanting to make it a co-op/MMO style game. Everything else sounds awesome.

Nafai1123

Banned

Da fuck are you going on about? This is a indie game just like Below. I don't see people up in arms about it's exclusivity either. Stop trying to stir up shit.

Who

Banned
Well depending on its quality this may very well tilt my interest towards a PS4 purchase vs Xone...

Hmmm...

I really hope this is successful and gets content upgrades ala Minecraft

Top Bottom