• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

MaxiLive

Yes u can get 2 scanner upgrades i think, that will increase alot the scan distance.

Yes, Now when I scan I see knowledge stones all over the damned place, sometimes they are quite far and yet my scanner can see them. (Make sure all your similar upgrades are touching each other, they seem to give bonuses.

Thanks guys, I've got one of the scanner upgrades installed but it still seems to miss stuff right in front of me so I'm guessing that is just how the game is!

I've been naming star systems and planets 'ACTIVE PORTAL'.

On the slim chance anyone sees them, hopefully they'll make a conspiracy puzzle video or post.

bigDave

just found a planet that's always dark, even in the dayside

sooo good.

0AScwZR.jpg

Thank you too, i've reached the center of the Galaxy.

And i left with the feeling that i did something wrong, and i didn't got to see the real ending, instead the game pushed me back to square one, only this time on a different galaxy.

If you've reached the Center, what do you felt?
Buyer's remorse.

Log4Girlz

So...I just landed on my first new planet with the 1.07 patch, and whoa. This could be completely coincidental, but the plants are gigantic here. I put this save pole here for a reference scale, though the size is still deceptive. That plant is really probably 60-70 feet tall.

I've seen some plants and trees that were double my height, but nothing approaching these. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but... are other people seeing plant size increases in 1.07?

sidenote: I noticed some of my old thumbnails from 1.05 look corrupted after 1.07. Even a couple of my screenshots from 1.05 have weird image corruption issues (viewable, but distorted areas). Haven't seen that in 1.07 though so I guess they fixed whatever they broke.

What if they made you shorter

HeeHo

Got the platinum. I might take 1
blackhole
every day until they update it. I want to take a break even though I was having fun.

Slay

You did nothing wrong, thats what is suposed to happen.
I know now that this is what people are seeing but...
It felt like i didn't reached the center at all, like some force pushed me back only to start all over again. It's hard for me to accept that this is just it, maybe i'm in denial, but there is a chance that we all missed something, and we didn't got the reward at the end.

Razgreez

For some reason, no matter how many times I warp, I've been ending up on planets that are dark, dreary, cold and/or barren lately even if/when the system seems quite bright and the planet or moon has water/liquid oceans and lakes. The class of system doesn't seem to matter neither.

Compared to my first 20 hours my second 20+ are somewhat less... hopeful or happy I suppose. I mean the chances of realistically finding a planet with life on it is supposed to be (infinitesimally) low and this game is not realistic but the planets I do happen upon all seem to have varying levels of fauna but very little flora. I almost yearn for one of those grassy, flowery lifelike planets or moons that I used to happen upon previously.

And the "happy" music which goes with them as well.

For now I continue to my journey onward. Sometimes focusing more on the direction of the center and other times just selecting systems based on differing classes in the hope I find another "happy place" to explore.

Because the game is not finished. Same reason why you can't craft any Curiosities or ship Scanners. And why only one upgrade has an Omega tier. And why some of the exotic elements have no use right now. etc. etc.

giphy.gif

OHHH, that's why there are random rocks/elements that I can't seem to figure out what to do with aside from sell them.

Yeah, evidence is overwhelming. Game needed another year, at least. lol

What if they made you shorter

Already addressed that, they didn't. Terminals are still eye height, Gek are still shorter. I guess if they shrunk down everything in the universe except for flora, then sure I guess we could be Alice in Wonderland.

Ended up 100%-ing that planet. Had a cool 4.7m fan-necked brontosaurus and a regal-looking 2m tall Princess Mononoke type of majestic deer. And the birds are so easy to scan now! Off to the next planet; interested to see if that flora was a fluke.

SomTervo

As I've said several times - if it's unplayable get a refund. What I do not agree with is people getting several hours entertainment out of a product and then saying they want their money back. I feel sorry for the guy that got 50 hours in and couldn't continue, but actually it wouldn't have been the end of the world if he'd had to start again, would it?

People on here constantly complain about the generic shooters and lack of innovation in the industry. Hello Games have done something incredibly brave and ambitious, and deserve some credit. OK they haven't quite pulled it off. They could have rolled out Joe Danger 67 and watched the money roll in if that's all they cared about. But instead they took a risk. This group mentality of witch hunting and actually encouraging people to refund (when many of those people have confessed to either just not liking it or having a couple of annoying crashes) will ultimately lead to less risk taking.

If you booted the game up, it won't run and it's unusable, get a refund. Particularly on PC, this is not unusual, many games just don't work on some hardware. If you just don't like it, think that having to restore your last save every now and then after a crash or are jumping on the bandwagon because you're bored of the game - perhaps wait until your next pre-order is in the bargain bin before buying, eh?

This is not a white good, this is media, a form of art. Different rules do and should apply.

Fair enough. I agree with you 95% here.

... and a regal-looking 2m tall Princess Mononoke type of majestic deer

... Like an elk?

"Yakul!"

I was at one of the monolith ruins and there was one of those giant monolith balls you can roll around there. I thought about rolling one of those to a portal to see if anything would happen.

Does the datamining confirm that there is no way to activate the portals or that they just have not been activated yet?...

Was really keen on trying that too but I couldn't find my way back to the portal :( I think I scanned for something and wiped the waypoint marker.

Something like this would have needed a brand new generation seed I'd think.

Not at all. They made plenty of algorithm edits with the day one patch but it all used the same seed. If anything the seed is one thing that won't change.

OuterLimits

Already addressed that, they didn't. Terminals are still eye height, Gek are still shorter. I guess if they shrunk down everything in the universe except for flora, then sure I guess we could be Alice in Wonderland.

Ended up 100%-ing that planet. Had a cool 4.7m fan-necked brontosaurus and a regal-looking 2m tall Princess Mononoke type of majestic deer. And the birds are so easy to scan now! Off to the next planet; interested to see if that flora was a fluke.

Was on a toxic planet last night where some plants were huge. Not especially dense with plants, in fact many areas of barren plains/hills, but the pockets that had plant life were some of the tallest I had seen so far by far. Figured I had just gotten lucky.

I found some Murrine by accident just shooting these bulb things growing out of the ground. There was no exlamation mark when I scanned for them. Thats probably why I cant find Omegon anywhere besides poop.

Ok I don't know if it's the patch or what but I am seeing WAY more huge plant life than before. Also saw a deer creature so big my controller vibrated with each step it took.

So the second planet I went to was an atomic island wasteland with hardly any flora, but it did have these giant palm trees that were 3x my height. Not something jaw-dropping, but still pretty big.

The last planet in this system was a snowy forest. Annnd...huge trees. Granted, I've only been on one forest planet before and it had more pine type of trees, but they weren't this big. Maybe this is again within the normal bounds of what other people see, but 2 out of 3 planets on 1.07 that have huge flora? I mean most of those trees are fairly big, but then look at that one in the center right. It's even taller than the plant in my previous picture. Maybe they're not as big as the ones in the PC mod, but damn if this doesn't feel more like a proper forest.

... Like an elk?

Its body was more like a deer, but had really nice markings and these wavy, long straight horns. I'll upload a picture tomorrow, gotta sleep now.

Raist

Banned
I've been naming star systems and planets 'ACTIVE PORTAL'.

On the slim chance anyone sees them, hopefully they'll make a conspiracy puzzle video or post.

That's hilarious.

...I've never heard of this... That's horrible... but hilarious.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=214645110&postcount=3247

Too bad there's no galactic charting system so you could give coordinates for others to find the planet...

There's one, in a way... I'm trying to figure out how it works exactly. Gonna take some work to map it out, though...

I found my first planet with pretty legit mountains. The screenshots aren't doing it justice, I need to figure out how to make Steam take full resolution screenshots, you can't tell how far away the things in the distance actually are in these... it was pretty damned majestic up there.

I think mountain size scales with planet size. This was a very large planet with three fairly normal sized planets as moons.

20160829182736_1.jpg

20160829182848_1.jpg

20160829182756_1.jpg

It also had the first actual sandy area I've seen.

20160829182549_1.jpg

No sandworms, though... that planet had no fauna...

Spyware

My second system had this great looking irradiated moon. It has Vortex Cubes and some extremely huge flower trees. I love it.

You can't really tell this is the same planet:

Love that rainbow look and the night colors are really pretty. <3

Raist

Banned
Holy Sandstorm that's really sand right? Another point of this awful "Shit-that-was-promised-in-the-game" list we can withdraw now huh?

Yes, although it's "just" a texture, it's not "physically" sand. You'll find it easily if you swim down to sea beds on planets with lots of water. I'm not sure there will be planets just with that, though.

Number45

Holy Sandstorm that's really sand right? Another point of this awful "Shit-that-was-promised-in-the-game" list we can withdraw now huh?
The star system I'm in has a good amount of sand throughout (most of the planets have a good amount of water) - didn't know it was rare.

Yes, although it's "just" a texture, it's not "physically" sand. You'll find it easily if you swim down to sea beds on planets with lots of water. I'm not sure there will be planets just with that, though.

Your steps make a different sound on it too... This sand was above water. Also, the sand wasn't destructible . All the mountainous area around it was, by the parts with sand? Couldn't put a dent in it.

The sandworms found in the dump produced their own "sand blown" effects when they breach the surface, the actual ground textures wouldn't need to respond to them. (If I recall the way it was described by the person who found it, correctly... I didn't click on the link provided since I didn't want to see what it looked like until i find one, lol.)

Raist

Banned
Your steps make a different sound on it too... This sand was above water. Also, the sand wasn't destructible . All the mountainous area around it was, by the parts with sand? Couldn't put a dent in it.

The sandworms found in the dump produced their own "sand blown" effects when they breach the surface, the actual ground textures wouldn't need to respond to them. (If I recall the way it was described by the person who found it, correctly... I didn't click on the link provided since I didn't want to see what it looked like until i find one, lol.)

... there's sandworms after all?

I know you can see it above water, was just giving an easy way to actually see it ingame.
You can't destroy it, because along with some other ground types, it's the "bottom" of the planet. Can't dig any further than that.

Only going to class O and B star systems from now on. So much better. Ive been to them before but since I been only visiting these systems the planets have been much more interesting.
Ayeee.. and I just had my first crash post patch (installed today).. pls dont.. you've been so good.

The way one's character moves while idle—particularly how much vertical movement there is—kind of makes me wonder if we are hovering or something. However, there's a manufacturing facility "puzzle" where the correct answer is to
make yourself lighter
, while that that doesn't really make sense to begin with, it definitely doesn't make sense if the character is floating.

example: Short and Tall. I didn't touch the controls at all between those two shots.

At least this has helped me figure out why it seems like my character's height keeps changing.

bigDave

there are squares of sand, not a fullfilled planet.

no dunes, only small beaches random located on planets

Top Bottom