• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Shoeless

There actually had been a few theories floating around in the months leading up to release that this might've been one reason for the all the delays.

Shaneus

I somehow lost my stacked vortex cube! Only noticed it when landing on a planet loaded with them, so I'm guessing the save is long-gone.

Fuck.

Still having a blast with this, now rocking a 43-slot ship that I found as soon as I landed on a random planet, completely by accident. And my current goal (aside from getting to the center) is to nab me an AtlasPass v2/v3 blueprint.

McLovin

If they do manage to deliver with a big update they could adds new Galaxy and an option to restart there. If they get portals running and tone down the busy work I'll definitely give it another shot. To me it's like they had this really cool base of a game but they put all these things in for the sole purpose of slowing the player down. I just got more and more pissed the more I played nms. I hope they add more things to build like a dimensional storage cube that lets you stack unstackables.

watdaeff4

Deleted it off my PS4 drive.

Just not having fun with it anymore, and just not worth wasting my time on. Great theoretical concept, terrible execution.

This game's saga is kind of depressing to me, but there's one thing that could save it, and I think you'd all agree. Maybe it's why the first update is taking so long; after all, Murray hinted at this (not that his hints hold a lot of water around here.

VR.

The core gameplay loop would still be boring.

There actually had been a few theories floating around in the months leading up to release that this might've been one reason for the all the delays.

The state of the game at launch (a technical mess) should be enough to dispel those theories now.

Damn, that's harsh. I'm a bit paranoid about losing my stacked items since the last update too :) There again it would only be useful for farming cash so if i do lose any i won't lose sleep. I would like them to put back the upload/dismantle technique of keeping the action button pressed and sweeping the stick over the items. Pressing each time is tedious especially when dismantling ships for goodies to sell or uploading discoveries when you have 4 pages to upload because you keep forgetting to do it.

Shaneus

Damn, that's harsh. I'm a bit paranoid about losing my stacked items since the last update too :)
Yeah, I thought I was right as well, because I had two stackable cubes in storage, one on my exosuit and one in the ship. I noticed the one in the ship had busted but figured I still had my exosuit one.

I know dying and picking up your loot kills the exploit, but I've died once or twice since and just reverted my save just fine.

It's annoying, but there's nothing I can do. Hardly loaded with cash either, but I'm never hamstrung for money at this point anyway, just resources to repair future ships and create warp cells.

Jobbs

Banned
They're going to be terrified of showing, or talking, about anything too much.

Yeah this was always terrifying for them

This game's saga is kind of depressing to me, but there's one thing that could save it, and I think you'd all agree. Maybe it's why the first update is taking so long; after all, Murray hinted at this (not that his hints hold a lot of water around here.

VR.

No, not even close.

What would save it is if an entire game was transplanted into the framework they created, which I admit is kind of cool, especially in terms of the planet generation which sometimes produces really interesting looking planets. The problem is there's no game and it cost $60 and they told thousands of lies about it. If there were no lies and it was $10 - $15 in early access everyone would have been very supportive and the steam review page would be positive -- they'd have good will and ongoing support to continue adding to and eventually finishing the game. The problem is greed set in and they just doubled down on lies and deceit to get a quick payoff (in exchange for their entire reputation). I wouldn't think that'd be worth it, but, hey, maybe it was for them.

c0Zm1c

What would save it is if an entire game was transplanted into the framework they created, which I admit is kind of cool, especially in terms of the planet generation which sometimes produces really interesting looking planets. The problem is there's no game and it cost $60 and they told thousands of lies about it. If there were no lies and it was $10 - $15 in early access everyone would have been very supportive and the steam review page would be positive -- they'd have good will and ongoing support to continue adding to and eventually finishing the game. The problem is greed set in and they just doubled down on lies and deceit to get a quick payoff (in exchange for their entire reputation). I wouldn't think that'd be worth it, but, hey, maybe it was for them.

You've thrown this argument about so much but I've never understood why. If you think it's a terrible game then you think it's a terrible game, and you claim it's the worst you've ever played? A lower price isn't going to change this. It being free would not change this either.

A lower price can sweeten the deal on something you want, or feel more favourable about but that only works if it's something you actually want in the first place.

SomTervo

VR would practically fix the game. This is coming from someone who owns NMS, thinks it's terribly flawed and also owns a Vive.

The VR effect is so visceral and immersive that even mundane, simplistic gameplay loops become engaging and compelling. The sense of space and planetary scale offered by NMS - as well as creature scale - would make it a phenomenal vr experience regardless of how the gameplay is. They could strip away even more of NMS's content/interactivity and it would still make for a great vr experience. These planets would feel real and their tiny idiosyncrasies would become intimate, powerful.

Jobbs

Banned
You've thrown this argument about so much but I've never understood why. If you think it's a terrible game then you think it's a terrible game, and you claim it's the worst you've ever played? A lower price isn't going to change this. It being free would not change this either.

A lower price can sweeten the deal on something you want, or feel more favourable about but that only works if it's something you actually want in the first place.

$15 early access title doesn't need a game. It's in early access becaquse it's still under development. $60 retail does need a game.

Cmagus

I think the biggest problem with this fame is the fact there isn't anything to do and no incentive to make the player want to explore. I wish they could get some sort of quest system in the game.

It would be cool if the aliens you meet had tasks for rewards not just answering s question or walking in the room to grab a free upgrade off the wall. There is no reason why the aliens can't ask you to bring them stuff or scan/ record x amount of this to encourage you to get out and see the planet.

I think visually and stuff the game is fine but that means nothing if it's boring.

c0Zm1c

$15 early access title doesn't need a game. It's in early access becaquse it's still under development. $60 retail does need a game.

There is a game there though. And even if it was in Early Access they're still building on that same foundation; it wouldn't change much. Unless they scrapped it and started again, but to my knowledge that only happened with Rust?

Probably the roughest Early Access game I've played was SNOW, which felt like a very early proof of concept with broken menus, an unfinished map and no music or sound effects, and even that doesn't really feel any different to play now compared with when it first released on Steam (with regard to the basic gameplay.)

Shaneus

I think the biggest problem with this fame is the fact there isn't anything to do and no incentive to make the player want to explore. I wish they could get some sort of quest system in the game.

It would be cool if the aliens you meet had tasks for rewards not just answering s question or walking in the room to grab a free upgrade off the wall. There is no reason why the aliens can't ask you to bring them stuff or scan/ record x amount of this to encourage you to get out and see the planet.

I think visually and stuff the game is fine but that means nothing if it's boring.
Absolutely. I'm only setting myself small tasks right now... get the AtlasPass v2/3, get to the center of the galaxy... but other than the feels I get when I mine a gigantic mound of gold, there's really no incentive unless you just want to fuck around.

I'm happy to wander aimlessly and do nothing, but not of my own volition. I need to be distracted *from* a task I've been given.

Cmagus

Absolutely. I'm only setting myself small tasks right now... get the AtlasPass v2/3, get to the center of the galaxy... but other than the feels I get when I mine a gigantic mound of gold, there's really no incentive unless you just want to fuck around.

I'm happy to wander aimlessly and do nothing, but not of my own volition. I need to be distracted *from* a task I've been given.

The problem is they just give you everything and personally I would take the crafting even further. I would suggest a blueprint system where completing the aliens tasks wouldn't just get you the item but a blueprint for one that has different parts you need to construct to get a new weapon or ship. Gather resources from animals, drones, space ships and the land.

What if each galaxy had an alien that provided you with a blueprint and to complete that blueprint you need to explore the other planets in the area for the pieces or the materials. Make each planet valuable and matter. Lets say the blueprints are random you don't know what you will get or it could have a ranking to it and over time you need to work to build it. Even the weapon blueprints would mean you need to build the body, the handle and so on.

You see a ship in the space station you like you can buy the blueprint instead of the actual ship and then you need to construct it or whatever. Give the player something to work on and keep busy with. You find a downed ship, you need to go find stuff to repair it. It needs that layer to it that makes you wanna go explore things.

I was pretty mad at the way this game launched but I went back and played a little here and there and it's like if I had something to do I would probably put more time into it and accept it for what it is at this point.

VR would practically fix the game. This is coming from someone who owns NMS, thinks it's terribly flawed and also owns a Vive.

The VR effect is so visceral and immersive that even mundane, simplistic gameplay loops become engaging and compelling. The sense of space and planetary scale offered by NMS - as well as creature scale - would make it a phenomenal vr experience regardless of how the gameplay is. They could strip away even more of NMS's content/interactivity and it would still make for a great vr experience. These planets would feel real and their tiny idiosyncrasies would become intimate, powerful.

I'll say right up front that I haven't tried VR.

That being said I still think the novelty of playing NMS in VR would wear off rather quickly with nothing to do and nothing really to surprise you. Maybe playing the game initially in VR, but even then you'd burn out after the initial wow factor.

Why do most, not all, people's ideas of improvement for NMS involve what sounds like more busywork? Don't make it more tedious to upgrade stuff, give me more reasons to explore with my upgraded stuff. A slightly different angle that is much more appealing to me.

There again i'm one of the few who is happy just pootling about in NMS as i find it refreshing to play a game where there are no goals or overwhelming countdowns to worry about. I just pop on a podcast and fly about amusing myself and setting my own goals or not. Awesome. I mean i have 118 hours in the game and 5 Atlas Stones and a V1 Pass to my name with regards to "storyline" goals :)

As for naming stuff i only name aggressive beasties and planets/systems with extreme status or lots of goodies or pretty scenery.

Jobbs

Banned
There is a game there though. And even if it was in Early Access they're still building on that same foundation; it wouldn't change much. Unless they scrapped it and started again, but to my knowledge that only happened with Rust?

Probably the roughest Early Access game I've played was SNOW, which felt like a very early proof of concept with broken menus, an unfinished map and no music or sound effects, and even that doesn't really feel any different to play now compared with when it first released on Steam (with regard to the basic gameplay.)

I think it's really neat how you transition from space to planets and I think the planet generation tech is genuinely cool (at least, at times).

If it was $10 - $15 in early access I'd feel okay about dropping the money to support it and sees where it goes. My overwhelmingly negative opinion of the game has a lot to do with it being sold as a complete product for $60. My animosity towards Hello Games for their lies and subsequent post launch lack of communication is just icing on the cake. The core cake is the game just not having anywhere near enough there to warrant it being a finished full retail $60 product.

TheMan

this man right here?

he gets it.

FutbolBat

Banned

There is no way in hell that any console (and most pcs) can power their janky engine at the frame rates needed for a fluid experience.

https://twitter.com/hellogames/status/791984881219756033 Even the twitter account is done with NMS.

Screencapped just in case it gets deleted.

7iRSAKa.png

Cc23830

Deleted it off my PS4 drive.

Just not having fun with it anymore, and just not worth wasting my time on. Great theoretical concept, terrible execution.

no way, i just did this yesterday for these exact reasons. needed more space for skyrim and it was a no brainer

vix

I feel like it's a crime to say I actually liked the game. Yes, it was missing a lot and there are things I'd change, plenty of things. But what I got, I enjoyed. I had fun going from planet to planet and just flying around. I was hyped to hell about this but I don't regret my purchase. I had fun with it and I still do when I fire it up. I remember even sayings as release got closer that Sean was basically putting his foot in his mouth with what he was saying and I was told I had no idea what I was talking about. Even with my level of hype I could see something was wrong. I don't have the same level of hate as others have. I still have a bit of hope that they can find a way to recover.

I feel like it's a crime to say I actually liked the game. Yes, it was missing a lot and there are things I'd change, plenty of things. But what I got, I enjoyed. I had fun going from planet to planet and just flying around. I was hyped to hell about this but I don't regret my purchase. I had fun with it and I still do when I fire it up. I remember even sayings as release got closer that Sean was basically putting his foot in his mouth with what he was saying and I was told I had no idea what I was talking about. Even with my level of hype I could see something was wrong. I don't have the same level of hate as others have. I still have a bit of hope that they can find a way to recover.

same (while it lasted). it's a unique, interesting $30 game, which's what i paid for it. never should've been $60...

somme

I got over 150 hours out of it. Well worth the £50 I spent.

I'm sure I'll get more out of it when some free updates hit.

I'm still hopeful for content patches, spent a good 100 hours playing the game. So well worth the day one buy, just started to get tired of it after a while.

I'm still crazy impressed at all they did and in no way think they deserve nearly a fraction of the flak they keep getting.

Crumpo

I'm still hopeful for content patches, spent a good 100 hours playing the game. So well worth the day one buy, just started to get tired of it after a while.

I'm still crazy impressed at all they did and in no way think they deserve nearly a fraction of the flak they keep getting.

Shhh, you're not doing it right; you're supposed to be acting like Sean Murray ate your first born child.

Top Bottom