• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky previews (03-03-2016)

I think people should maybe temper their expectations regarding the size of planets, and more importantly, the time needed to explore them fully, whatever that might mean. In any case, I highly doubt you would need a month, let alone a year to explore a single planet. I'd even go as far to say it'll probably be in the ballpark of a few hours, a day at most.

By fully exploring, I mean discovering and visiting every relevant point of interest and fully stripping the planet of resources. You might want to visit every nook and cranny and (arguably) needlessly waste time if that's fun to you, but even in that case you'll probably spend a couple of days at most.

Who said anyone expects there to be a month or year's worth of pre-generated gameplay tasks to do on a planet? I can't speak for others, but when I talk about wandering around a planet for a month, it's just that. Exploring the landscape. You may frame that as a "needless waste of time", but some of the most fun I had in Morrowind was just wandering around the land. Anyway, Sean said he doesn't expect most people to spend a year on a planet, but a few might, and I don't think anyone here has been suggesting otherwise. But you could probably walk around for a couple weeks without running into the same landscape. When you say a few hours, I think you're not understanding just how big the area of these planets are.

I'm not sure why this game attracts such negativity and debbie downer-ism. I have no idea how Sean maintains such a positive and gracious attitude in the face of it.

RedSwirl

I think people should maybe temper their expectations regarding the size of planets, and more importantly, the time needed to explore them fully, whatever that might mean. In any case, I highly doubt you would need a month, let alone a year to explore a single planet. I'd even go as far to say it'll probably be in the ballpark of a few hours, a day at most.

By fully exploring, I mean discovering and visiting every relevant point of interest and fully stripping the planet of resources. You might want to visit every nook and cranny and (arguably) needlessly waste time if that's fun to you, but even in that case you'll probably spend a couple of days at most.

Also, having even an Earth-sized planet doesn't mean much when you have a super-fast spaceship able to land and take off anywhere and very quickly. You would basically go around the Earth extremely fast as well, go over all the most popular landmarks etc, it's just that Earth has an insane amount of diversity of biomes, flora, fauna, is heavily populated by various human cultures, so that almost unfathomable complexity makes exploring Earth take a bit longer. Nobody can possibly expect even a fraction of such complexity on the planets of No Man's Sky. It's actually going to be so much simpler that there'll be a single biome per planet, and I don't really expect more than a dozen species per planet, and that's being generous, and also that's on planets that actually have any form of life at all. To be clear, having life on a planet doesn't mean it's automatically interesting, just different, meaning I'm sure there'll be a lot of lifeless planets that are extremely interesting as well, but that's besides the point.

So I'm imagining that the usual playthrough of a single planet will look like this:
- Approach planetary orbit, ping the scanner to reveal a few nearby points of interest
- Land at one POI, discover what it is and exploit it if possible (learn language, get blueprint, mine mineral etc.)
- Walk around a bit, maybe notice a weird lake, mountain formation or a cave, explore, spend maybe even an hour mucking about, then walk all the way back to your ship
- Find an Atlas beacon, upload data so you don't loose the last hour's progress
- Get back on the ship, maybe even fly into orbit again, go to another larger area and ping the scanner
- Rinse and repeat

This is all very simplified of course, the point is you'll have a few different activities you'll be doing, mostly surviving in harsh environments just to get that extra ore, blueprint, alien word or better your relations with a faction, going up and down from planet to station, do a lot of spelunking and mining etc.

The point is, every planet is a dungeon floor in a procedural survival/rogue-lite of sorts, and, if the gameplay mechanics are captivating enough, you will feel the need to plunder its riches, discover its secrets and move on to the next floor of the dungeon to see what new similarly fashioned wonders you'll find. The variety of activities and cosmetic differences help greatly, but in the end the important thing is whether landing on a planet, seeing a creature and scanning it is fun/exciting/fulfilling enough for the player.

Because a tree is a tree, a fish is a fish, a monolith is a monolith, but that doesn't mean that searching for lots of different kinds of fish needs to be boring, it just means that the act of searching for the fish needs to be engaging enough for the player, and then even forever searching for and finding a single type of fish can be almost as fun.

Remember that this game is an homage not just to the classic sci-fi books and their cover art, but also to an age of the UK and EU boom of home computer games, they were played on a TV or a small monitor, and then the action would be shown on an even smaller screen, with a large HUD covering most of the screen, lots of stats, management and a mish-mash of genres, all there to create a feeling of actually controlling this awesome futuristic spaceship system, mining for resources, talking to aliens, saving the galaxy.

These games, like most games really, had a lot of repeating gameplay loops, lots of jumping from planet to planet, sending probes down the surface, seeing if there's something there, getting resources, fuel, trading, talk with aliens, it was very repetitive but (arguably) not as boring as you'd think. And that's the whole point, it's the challenge of discovery and survival that should be enough for a genre like this.

EDIT:
As perhaps a simple example, FTL is an extremely repetitive game, also relatively simple in its design, but you can potentially play it forever, and it does in fact have a very captivating gameplay loop, especially because it's pretty hard to survive the whole thing. Spelunky as well. You get to the second world (jungle temple) and you marginally know what to expect, frogs, a possible snake pit, ghosts, but you have no idea what combination you'll be thrown into, and it's (almost) as exciting and challenging each and every time like it's your first. Not saying No Man's Sky will succeed in doing these gameplay loops well, but then there's really no reason to think it won't.

This is a good description of where No Man's Sky is coming from and what it's probably aiming for in terms of the moment-to-moment gameplay. Games like FTL and Spelunky have explicit goals and are meant to be played in relatively short bursts, but you kind of get the idea. A better comparison might be a dungeon crawler with endless procedurally generated floors, though I can't think of a specific one off the top of my head.

The description of the second level vs the first level in Spelunky is also a good comparison to NMS I think. Things are procedural in NMS, but not really random. There will be factors based upon which you'll be able to predict certain things. You can already see this in Elite and Space Engine. If you find a star system with a white or yellow main sequence star, you can guess that if there are any temperate planets they'll be between 0.5 and 2AU away from that star, and that's where you should look for interesting planets. If a planet is much closer you can guess it'll be really hot. If you see that a planet looks like a featureless disc but is rocky, then it probably has an extremely thick atmosphere (like Venus or Titan) and visibility will be bad on the surface.

I imagine that based on factors like this, you'll be able to make certain assumptions about what you may encounter on planets in NMS. Maybe you'll see what element the atmosphere is made of and be able to plan out what gear you'll need to survive on the surface. Maybe the game establishes that certain elements are more likely to be found on bodies orbiting a certain distance away from certain kinds of stars. Maybe you'll eventually understand that certain pirates or traders tend to do business in systems with certain kinds of resources. Things like that can all predictably play out through procedural generation. We already know creatures will have different behavior patterns.

But yes, people need to realize that at its heart, NMS is going to try to keep players interested with a resource/loot gathering gameplay loop.

Just realized, have we seen insectoid species? Like you can't have a sci fi game on this scale without giant space bugs, right?

kinn

Looks amazing .

The Flying to and away from a planet...is that fully player controlled? ie whilst taking off from a planet and going into space, are you always in control? Can you fly in that transistional bit between space and atmosphere ? Or change your mind and fly back to land at any time?

And Will PC version share the same universe as the PS4 version ? or will it have its own instance of it?

Elandyll

Banned
Just watched the PS I Love You XOXO interview. Man, you gotta love Sean and how excited/ nervous he is at the pressure behind all the attention the game is getting :)

I hope he doesn't freak out too much when he sees the pre order sales hehe.

Who said anyone expects there to be a month or year's worth of pre-generated gameplay tasks to do on a planet? I can't speak for others, but when I talk about wandering around a planet for a month, it's just that. Exploring the landscape. You may frame that as a "needless waste of time", but some of the most fun I had in Morrowind was just wandering around the land. Anyway, Sean said he doesn't expect most people to spend a year on a planet, but a few might, and I don't think anyone here has been suggesting otherwise. But you could probably walk around for a couple weeks without running into the same landscape. When you say a few hours, I think you're not understanding just how big the area of these planets are.

I'm not sure why this game attracts such negativity and debbie downer-ism. I have no idea how Sean maintains such a positive and gracious attitude in the face of it.

I merely meant that, in general, most people's experiences will resemble the gameplay loops and timings I've mentioned, and that it's probably something Hello Games are aiming for. There is sort of a desired, "proper" way of playing, if you can even say that, especially for a game like this, but Sean and the team obviously have specific gameplay directions in mind, as in "it's not a game about settling in one place", it's about being an explorer, a nomad, a spelunker etc. So with that in mind, some, if not most people will get tired of seeing, say, canyons on a "canyon planet" after a while, no matter how wild those terrain configurations are. And as you play for hours and hours, that "tolerance" will get even lower for most people, leaving the aforementioned gameplay loops as the hook that keeps pulling you back into the game, which coincidentally are designed in a way to push you outwards into space, to other planets.

So when you talk about wandering around the planet for an actual month, I understand you mean exploring the landscape etc, but if you have the ability to fly a full circle around a planet in a matter of seconds, minutes at most, a planet consisting of a single biome, a few dozen points of interest, caves, minerals, creatures, plants, artefacts, temples, monoliths, crashed ships etc, I really don't think you or most people will spend an actual month or a year occupying their time with just one planet.

I mean, of course you can, and some people might, but I was just saying that given the transportation superpowers, having a compass and waypoint markers makes the whole exploration thing work a lot faster than, say, actually leaving your ship behind and deciding to be a hermit, forever walking on foot. It's just that the game wasn't really designed for such an experience, and I believe that it would feel pointless after a few hours, a day or two at most, even for people like myself who actually love to explore virtual worlds for hours upon hours. "Running into the same landscape" can be interpreted in different ways, sure, but I'd almost guarantee you that once you see a dozen lakes, mountains, caves and canyons of said planet, you will get the idea of what that planet has to offer, and that this will happen mere hours into exploring said planet.

I know, I'm making certain presumptions, and I apologize if it sounds in some way whiny or negative. Believe me, that's not my intention, as I can safely say I'm very biased and a complete fanboy of this game despite not having even had the chance to play it, this literally sounds like the dream game I've been wanting to either play or create myself one day, but the way Sean Murray and lots of people keep talking about spending years on planets, not exploring the galaxies in our lifetimes, without really addressing important details like travel speed, average time spent on basic tasks etc, sounds kind of weird to me. It's not exactly misleading, since these things are technically true, but in practice aren't really probable or realistic to even talk about, in my humble opinion of course.

You can have 18 quintillion planets and spend your life playing No Man's Sky, or have 10 maps and also spend your life playing Quake 3 (obviously for different reasons, with different conditions), or Minecraft with infinite world seeds, or FTL with an extremely limited number of event combinations, or any game ever. The number's so big it's not really relevant, because (and I'm just pulling a number out of my ass), the average player will visit like a total of 300 planets in their playthrough of NMS.

In the same vein, yeah, you can spend a year on a planet, but that one planet will at least be flown around its circumference dozens, if not hundreds of times, over and over, in a matter of hours, days at most, except for the very extreme cases where people will stubbornly keep walking around, running into variations of the same things they've already seen. I just think that exploring a planet for a month will feel like an extremely useless task for even the most hardcore explorers out there, especially when you think just how many new worlds await to be explored.

This is a good description of where No Man's Sky is coming from and what it's probably aiming for in terms of the moment-to-moment gameplay. Games like FTL and Spelunky have explicit goals and are meant to be played in relatively short bursts, but you kind of get the idea. A better comparison might be a dungeon crawler with endless procedurally generated floors, though I can't think of a specific one off the top of my head.

The description of the second level vs the first level in Spelunky is also a good comparison to NMS I think. Things are procedural in NMS, but not really random. There will be factors based upon which you'll be able to predict certain things. You can already see this in Elite and Space Engine. If you find a star system with a white or yellow main sequence star, you can guess that if there are any temperate planets they'll be between 0.5 and 2AU away from that star, and that's where you should look for interesting planets. If a planet is much closer you can guess it'll be really hot. If you see that a planet looks like a featureless disc but is rocky, then it probably has an extremely thick atmosphere (like Venus or Titan) and visibility will be bad on the surface.

I imagine that based on factors like this, you'll be able to make certain assumptions about what you may encounter on planets in NMS. Maybe you'll see what element the atmosphere is made of and be able to plan out what gear you'll need to survive on the surface. Maybe the game establishes that certain elements are more likely to be found on bodies orbiting a certain distance away from certain kinds of stars. Maybe you'll eventually understand that certain pirates or traders tend to do business in systems with certain kinds of resources. Things like that can all predictably play out through procedural generation. We already know creatures will have different behavior patterns.

But yes, people need to realize that at its heart, NMS is going to try to keep players interested with a resource/loot gathering gameplay loop.

Yeah, I suppose I should've made a comparison with something like Dungeons of Dredmor, or maybe Delver, Dungeon of the Endless (I haven't really played a lot of these), but yeah, that's the point. NMS will probably have those recognizable simulations, emergent gameplay situations that will slowly force the player to learn the interactions between these elements and learn how to recognize them to their advantage, which is always a beautiful thing.

I imagine there'll be situations where you hyperjump into the system, see a reddish planet, get in orbit, see if it's more desert-like, or infested with volcanoes etc. and draw assumptions that you'll need good thermal protection, maybe get those bombs since you'll be expecting a lot of cave systems filled with crystalline formations, and maybe a hefty armor piercing weapon for the potential pesky hard-shelled creatures living underground etc, that sort of thing. Welp, I just repeated what you said. :p

And I'm glad that the new trailer and all the previews are talking about "survival", because that, alongside the loot and money earning loops is what I've felt this game is about mechanically from the start, so it should hopefully clear things up a bit. You will die a lot.

Looks amazing .

The Flying to and away from a planet...is that fully player controlled? ie whilst taking off from a planet and going into space, are you always in control? Can you fly in that transistional bit between space and atmosphere ? Or change your mind and fly back to land at any time?

And Will PC version share the same universe as the PS4 version ? or will it have its own instance of it?

It's not a cutscene or whatever so if you wanna zoom around the stratosphere have fun and while there's no confirmation that I know of, I believe platforms have separate universes

I know, I'm making certain presumptions, and I apologize if it sounds in some way whiny or negative. Believe me, that's not my intention, as I can safely say I'm very biased and a complete fanboy of this game despite not having even had the chance to play it, this literally sounds like the dream game I've been wanting to either play or create myself one day, but the way Sean Murray and lots of people keep talking about spending years on planets, not exploring the galaxies in our lifetimes, without really addressing important details like travel speed, average time spent on basic tasks etc, sounds kind of weird to me. It's not exactly misleading, since these things are technically true, but in practice aren't really probable or realistic to even talk about, in my humble opinion of course.

You can have 18 quintillion planets and spend your life playing No Man's Sky, or have 10 maps and also spend your life playing Quake 3 (obviously for different reasons, with different conditions), or Minecraft with infinite world seeds, or FTL with an extremely limited number of event combinations, or any game ever. The number's so big it's not really relevant, because (and I'm just pulling a number out of my ass), the average player will visit like a total of 300 planets in their playthrough of NMS.

Sure, I understand that, though I'd say people's expectations of certain gameplay mechanics like "learn a language" or "interact with NPCs" are more suceptible to hype inflation. But the basic premise of the game has been I think well laid out by Sean, and it sounds to be what he's sold it as. The trading and survival and crafting and all that may or may not be overblown because we know little about those things. But that basic kernel of the game, where you drop onto a new world, and see fantastically unique biomes and animals and plants that no one except you will probably ever see, and find yourself in emergent little adventures, I think we can depend on that part. And I think that kernel of gameplay is different than the experience of generating a new Minecraft world (to use your example).

So I think you or anyone is right to temper the hype of gameplay features we know little about – we don't want to Molyneux ourselves after all – but I think that core foundation of NMS gameplay probably deserves the hype, and even time spent wandering which many might consider pointless would be someone else's game of the year. Because a game that generates fun for someone is never pointless, and in fact I'd say we have too little pure fun in games nowadays.

I don't know if Hello designed NMS to be played in a certain way. Yes, there are mechanics and systems and those things always have a certain behaviorial bias – either consciously or unconsciously – built into them which lead players down a certain gameplay path. But Murray has been clear that he is giving us tools (literally and figuratively) to do and be whatever we want – a pacifist trader, or a pirate, an explorer, or to just walk a planet like Caine in Kung Fu. Would Sean prefer people to see many biome types other gameplay features they've worked so hard on? I'm sure so; he's a creative after all, and creators want creations to be experienced. My only disagreement with what you originally said was asking us to temper expectations about the planets. Considering none of us here have tooled around a NMS planet yet, I'm going to stay on the cautiously optimistic side. I guess I only perceived your post as negative because I'm growing weary of the "this sounds boring, not worth $60" comments. I'm sure you are as well.

They still haven't shown anything that looks even half the size of our moon, so I'm a little skeptical on the planet sized planets quote. Not that it matters since they're all one biome.

They still haven't shown anything that looks even half the size of our moon, so I'm a little skeptical on the planet sized planets quote. Not that it matters since they're all one biome.

What are you basing the size of the planet on? I think it's sort of a weird thing to doubt especially when other games pull that off already.

And it matters for the sense of scale.

Sure, I understand that, though I'd say people's expectations of certain gameplay mechanics like "learn a language" or "interact with NPCs" are more suceptible to hype inflation. But the basic premise of the game has been I think well laid out by Sean, and it sounds to be what he's sold it as. The trading and survival and crafting and all that may or may not be overblown because we know little about those things. But that basic kernel of the game, where you drop onto a new world, and see fantastically unique biomes and animals and plants that no one except you will probably ever see, and find yourself in emergent little adventures, I think we can depend on that part. And I think that kernel of gameplay is different than the experience of generating a new Minecraft world (to use your example).

So I think you or anyone is right to temper the hype of gameplay features we know little about – we don't want to Molyneux ourselves after all – but I think that core foundation of NMS gameplay probably deserves the hype, and even time spent wandering which many might consider pointless would be someone else's game of the year. Because a game that generates fun for someone is never pointless, and in fact I'd say we have too little pure fun in games nowadays.

I don't know if Hello designed NMS to be played in a certain way. Yes, there are mechanics and systems and those things always have a certain behaviorial bias – either consciously or unconsciously – built into them which lead players down a certain gameplay path. But Murray has been clear that he is giving us tools (literally and figuratively) to do and be whatever we want – a pacifist trader, or a pirate, an explorer, or to just walk a planet like Caine in Kung Fu. Would Sean prefer people to see many biome types other gameplay features they've worked so hard on? I'm sure so; he's a creative after all, and creators want creations to be experienced. My only disagreement with what you originally said was asking us to temper expectations about the planets. Considering none of us here have tooled around a NMS planet yet, I'm going to stay on the cautiously optimistic side. I guess I only perceived your post as negative because I'm growing weary of the "this sounds boring, not worth $60" comments. I'm sure you are as well.

Yeah, I understand, and I agree that the game deserves the hype. I guess I just had a bit of an overblown reaction on something I think is a bit misrepresented by Hello Games and some journalists for months now, that people might be disappointed in the end with because of unrealistically high expectations. But then again I might turn out to be wrong in the end and a decent number of people will in fact stay on a single planet for a month or so. In any case, it's certainly an amazing thing that there's the possibility, the freedom to do that in this game.

Personally my expectations have been in check ever since it was announced. The game is inspired by very defining games in the past which I have played such as Frontier: Elite II, a series that Sean Murray has said has inspired him as a developer and NMS itself, without it, NMS would most likely not exist.

The Elite series had always been a groundbreaking series in multiple areas ever since the 1984 game.

However, while a great game in many areas, Frontier: Elite II suffered from not having much to do on the planets. The tech was great for its time like all games in the series, but there wasn't much gameplay there on the planets themselves, something David Braben has admitted to being a weak part of the game himself.

This is what makes me excited about NMS because it looks like it'll be the first game in this sort of style of Elite games (and games also inspired by Elite) to have invested gameplay on the planets such as the procedural creatures on it.

Overall I know what to expect, I *get* these games and I know what NMS inspiration is because it's very clear if you've played something like Frontier: Elite II.

However I do think a lot of people are going to have a problem of not knowing how to play in a sandbox game like NMS, some people didn't *get* Frontier: Elite II for example (which is fine, I don't mean that in a condescending attitude), maybe that'll happen with NMS, but maybe NMS will reduce that a bit with its hopefully interesting planets and exploration on them, who knows. I'm excited, but I've always known what to expect. What'll make or break the game is if it avoids the too "samey" issue they can get, i.e land on one planet, you've seen it all while other planets only have little variation that isn't interesting enough. Hopefully NMS will be very varied in this regard to break the "samey-ness".

This just keps geting better and better!

CVUZ3iJ.gif
Though, one thing I'm wondering about is what the clock on this earth like planet is supposed to mean. I get that it displays time, but if there is one thing that's bugging me regarding sci fi is when they use hours, days and years as a measurement of time, since those are only relevant when on earth. In this footage it definitely seems like time is displayed with a 24 hour clock, which seems weird unless the time is just adapted to whatever planet we land on.

SomTervo

More Elite: Dangerous than Minecraft

They actually specifically cite Minecraft because crafting and using on-planet resources is a primary mechanic (unlike Elite). This includes blasting your way through things, eg through mountains or into underground caverns, to get to resources. Just like Minecraft.

90% certain Murray's on record saying that planets are planet-sized. If you get truly stranded and decide to walk it off, you can start walking one direction and come back around from the other side of the planet days later real time.

(It's made quicker because you can run forever and underwater and stuff.)

They actually specifically cite Minecraft because crafting and using on-planet resources is a primary mechanic (unlike Elite). This includes blasting your way through things, eg through mountains or into underground caverns, to get to resources. Just like Minecraft.
But in general, it's an arcadey space sim. Be a pirate or escort or an explorer or a trader, help factions, buy better ships and equipment to specialize in those jobs, engage in space battles, etc.

It's definitely has Minecraft DNA, but it's definitely more Elite Dangerous than Minecraft

Though, one thing I'm wondering about is what the clock on this earth like planet is supposed to mean. I get that it displays time, but if there is one thing that's bugging me regarding sci fi is when they use hours, days and years as a measurement of time, since those are only relevant when on earth. In this footage it definitely seems like time is displayed with a 24 hour clock, which seems weird unless the time is just adapted to whatever planet we land on.

Didn't even notice it. I think the time on top is the current time, and the time on the bottom is sunset. Makes sense, as all the info on the bottom left of the screen appears directly related to your survival on the planet you're currently on. And I've read that more agrees I've and dangerous creatures can be found at night.

So it's a 'you've got this much time until dark' thing.

I didn't pick up on the time display on the HUD until you mentioned it. good find!

SomTervo

But in general, it's an arcadey space sim. Be a pirate or escort or an explorer or a trader, help factions, buy better ships and equipment to specialize in those jobs, engage in space battles, etc.

It's definitely has Minecraft DNA, but it's definitely more Elite Dangerous than Minecraft

I'm totally with you. Just reinforcing the Minecraft parallel, which might have passed you by!

TheMan

i'm glad there are npc's in the game- in fact, I hope there are entire cities. For me, that would be a cool reward for exploration

I'm not keen on the space to planet transition. It seems to happen a little too quickly for me. I think it should be more of a 'mission' to succesfully navigate through a planets atmosphere and make a safe landing. The pop in and screen tearing is nasty too. Hopefully it's much better on PC.

I do like the general premise of the game though. I'm just worried that it will be a huge game world that's largely void of any actual meaningful gameplay, beyond very basic exploration.

Minecraft?

And many years ago I played games with procedural terrain so they were basically infinite.
Actually that would take 25 years
His goal for the day was simple: to reach the end of the universe.

Nearly three years later, Mac, who is now thirty-one, is still walking. He has trekked more than seven hundred virtual kilometres in a hundred and eighty hours. At his current pace, Mac will not reach the edge of the world, which is now nearly twelve thousand kilometres away, for another twenty-two years.
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/a-journey-to-the-end-of-the-world-of-minecraft

Do we know how to remove/reduce the player's galactic wanted level?

Get in your spaceship and bounce, apparently.

I'm not keen on the space to planet transition. It seems to happen a little too quickly for me. I think it should be more of a 'mission' to succesfully navigate through a planets atmosphere and make a safe landing.

This isn't a sim though; Space flight and combat is arcadey. Make planet entry a chore, let alone a chance of screwing it up, and it'll dampen the crux of NMS which is to explore tons of planets.

I'm just worried that it will be a huge game world that's largely void of any actual meaningful gameplay

I'm curious what "meaningful gameplay" looks like to you. Just genuinely curious since it's so subjective and varies from person to person.

Trouble

Banned
thread is quite long, any new videos actually showing all the new things or just write ups?

There's videos in the OP, but it's all the same video. Apparently they all go the same video to publish. The journos did get hands on time, but they didn't get to keep video of it.

Just realized, have we seen insectoid species? Like you can't have a sci fi game on this scale without giant space bugs, right?

I wonder if we're gonna see them on "oxygen rich" worlds, popular notion is higher oxygen = bigger bugs (although there is an upper limit to practicality, but NMS is about science fiction!)

Portugeezer

You're from Earth, so you understand Earth times, no? Nothing wrong with using years as a measurement. 24 hour cycle is... probably is adapted to each planet though, I don't see how else it could work.

Have any of the previews explained what happens to you/your ship/your upgrades when you do?

I'm assuming you mean die and it depends on where you die. If you die in space you lose your ship and all your cargo. I think you get to keep all of your money and upgrades that weren't applied to the ship, to help you get going again. I may be wrong. If you die on a planet you lose only what you were carrying and are returned to either your ship or your last save point.

This isn't a sim though; Space flight and combat is arcadey. Make planet entry a chore, let alone a chance of screwing it up, and it'll dampen the crux of NMS which is to explore tons of planets.

I'm curious what "meaningful gameplay" looks like to you. Just genuinely curious since it's so subjective and varies from person to person.

I know it's not a sim, I would have just preferred a little more 'involvement' in the process. You can increases realism and engagement whilst still maintaining an overall arcadey feel.

And by meaningful game play, I meant anything that's not just very basic exploration, just like I said.

I know there's things to do in the game, but how much? How involving are they?, and how repetitive does it become?

Is it engaging enough to make me want to continue exploring an entire Universe, or will I have essentially seen and done everything the game has to offer after a week or two? Maybe less.

From everything I've seen, the actual game play mechanics look to be very basic. Beyond the full scale Universe 'gimmick', it all looks rather shallow.

What are you basing the size of the planet on? I think it's sort of a weird thing to doubt especially when other games pull that off already.

And it matters for the sense of scale.

Everything I've seen so far. Landmarks while coming down through the atmosphere in comparison to how spaced out they are when on the surface. So far everything is considerably less than half the size of our moon in my estimation. There could be bigger planets that they haven't shown, but based on what we've seen, they're not even close to planet Earth sized. Game is day one regardless.

Everything I've seen so far. Landmarks while coming down through the atmosphere in comparison to how spaced out they are when on the surface. So far everything is considerably less than half the size of our moon in my estimation. There could be bigger planets that they haven't shown, but based on what we've seen, they're not even close to planet Earth sized. Game is day one regardless.

Can't judge the circumference based off of the atmosphere size. The atmospheric transitions have been said to be unrealistically short for gameplay purposes, but the planets are still planet sized in circumference.

I guess that depends on whether Hello thinks insects are "pretty" or not, since that's how they've tailored their algorithms. tbh I'm not sure I'd want to see giant spiders scurrying towards me.

They made up their own periodic table of elements for the game.

I remember reading in one of the many new preview articles that Hello has changed them back into "real" elements, which I was a bit disappointed at. I feel like using real elements creates too many expectations and gives the imagination less liberty to fill in the banks (for instance, you now collect Silicon to make tech stuff, as if someone with a hyperdrive would still be using silicon... here in reality there's already research into replacing it due to its limits).

Didn't even notice it. I think the time on top is the current time, and the time on the bottom is sunset. Makes sense, as all the info on the bottom left of the screen appears directly related to your survival on the planet you're currently on. And I've read that more agrees I've and dangerous creatures can be found at night.

So it's a 'you've got this much time until dark' thing.

I guess they're making it a 24 hour cycle everywhere just so the average person doesn't have to think about differing rotation rates of planets. But I hope that doesn't mean that the day/night cycle is the same on every planet. Does anyone actually know if planets and moons travel in realistic orbits? Can you see moons rise and descend in the sky?

I've never been fond of NMS' "creatures become more dangerous at night" feature. To make that standard on every planet takes away some immersion, makes it too gamey. But more broadly, I guess if there's anything I'm skeptical about in NMS, it would be creature AI. If there's endless shapes of creatures but they all act in the same ways, that dampens the idea of wide diversity. For instance, the RockPaperShotgun preview where the author was talking about being chased by two tigers made me think about the fact that tigers hunt alone. Is every animal in NMS a pack animal? Do any animals ambush prey? Use trees and foliage? Only active during day or night? Are there scavengers? So I'm trying to keep myself from getting too hyped on the creatures because I feel like their AI hasn't been a high priority for Hello.

I guess that depends on whether Hello thinks insects are "pretty" or not, since that's how they've tailored their algorithms. tbh I'm not sure I'd want to see giant spiders scurrying towards me.

I remember reading in one of the many new preview articles that Hello has changed them back into "real" elements, which I was a bit disappointed at. I feel like using real elements creates too many expectations and gives the imagination less liberty to fill in the banks (for instance, you now collect Silicon to make tech stuff, as if someone with a hyperdrive would still be using silicon... here in reality there's already research into replacing it due to its limits.

Can you try to find what preview you read this in? I don't remember reading that.

I guess that depends on whether Hello thinks insects are "pretty" or not, since that's how they've tailored their algorithms. tbh I'm not sure I'd want to see giant spiders.

I remember reading in one of the many new preview articles that Hello has changed them back into "real" elements, which I was a bit disappointed at. I feel like using real elements creates too many expectations and gives the imagination less liberty to fill in the banks (for instance, you now collect Silicon to make tech stuff, as if someone with a hyperdrive would still be using silicon... here in reality there's already research into replacing it due to its limits).

I guess they're making it a 24 hour cycle everywhere just so the average person doesn't have to think about differing rotation rates of planets. But I hope that doesn't mean that the day/night cycle is the same on every planet. Does anyone actually know if planets and moons travel in realistic orbits? Can you see moons rise and descend in the sky?

I've never been fond of NMS' "creatures become more dangerous at night" feature. To make that standard on every planet takes away some immersion, makes it too gamey. But more broadly, I guess if there's anything I'm skeptical about in NMS, it would be creature AI. If there's endless shapes of creatures but they all act in the same ways, that dampens the idea of wide diversity. For instance, the RockPaperShotgun preview where the author was talking about being chased by two tigers made me think about the fact that tigers hunt alone. Is every animal in NMS a pack animal? Do any animals ambush prey? Use trees and foliage? Only active during day or night? Are there scavengers? So I'm trying to keep myself from getting too hyped on the creatures because I feel like their AI hasn't been a high priority for Hello.
From what I understand, animals don't become more dangerous at night. It's that nocturnal predators and other species come out at night, while others go to sleep when night comes

I can't see the image for some reason but there's a clip in space where the target planet changes on screen, the clock changes to a different time and ticks slower.
In the pushsquare video it's around 3:20

Top Bottom