• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky previews (03-03-2016)

Odrion

Banned
I find this ridiculous. I mean, i'm so hyped for the game since the reveal, really. But this is just copying Destiny's UI almost 1:1. Why? A good developer would do that? This has made me reduce my hype somehow.

I really like the concept of the game, but is Hello Games a really good developer? I don't really know.

Destiny's UI is really good, and games do copy UI elements off of one another. Games did it to Diablo, to Doom, WOW, etc.

Alienous

Who cares? It's a means to an end. The Destiny UI works pretty well for what it needs to accomplish. If it suits NMS as well, then why not? Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and whatnot.

Copying anything is a "means to an end", that doesn't make it an acceptable one.

What a strange way of defending it.

Copying anything is a "means to an end", that doesn't make it an acceptable one.

What a strange way of defending it.
Just like shooters implemented CoD's control scheme when they realized how well it worked, I don't see the issue in NMS using menu UI in the style of another game that proved the UI to be effective.

A lot of games copy the good elements of other games because their audience is familiar with those elements and it...just works well.

- After God of War came out, that control scheme becomes pretty prominent
- The cover-based shooting mechanics popularized by Gears
- The over-the-shoulder perspective popularized by RE 4

And so on

There is also a five star wanted level in NMS. Should Hello Games be sending cheques to Rockstar?

Oh and it's in first person. Better get Id on the tit.

CJVaughn

Banned
Just like shooters implemented CoD's control scheme when they realized how well it worked, I don't see the issue in NMS using menu UI in the style of another game that proved the UI to be effective.

A lot of games copy the good elements of other games because their audience is familiar with those elements and it...just works well.

- After God of War came out, that control scheme becomes pretty prominent
- The cover-based shooting mechanics popularized by Gears
- The over-the-shoulder perspective popularized by RE 4

And so on
Just to play devil's advocate, I think the difference here would be that those are all mechanics, and a UI is more of an art design. If the numerous lawsuits from Apple against Samsung are any indication, UI design is not something you should just 'copy'.

Alienous

Games copy ideas from other games all the time. It doesn't normally need defending.

This feels a lot more like copying an asset than an idea.

And I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but this isn't some Gameloft title.

It's a minor disappointment more than anything. They're developing what could be a seminal video game and they nick the UI of another video game, from a developer that puts a lot of work into their user interfaces. It lowers No Man's Sky in my eyes.

But hey, I'm being told it's nothing so apparently it is. Doesn't feel like it is, though.

Just to play devil's advocate, I think the difference here would be that those are all mechanics, and a UI is more of an art design. If the numerous lawsuits from Apple against Samsung are any indication, UI design is not something you should just 'copy'.
Besides a similar cursor and a clean minimalist design, it's not really a copy.
WIrvPsm.png
9Eb7y1T.png
Both game's inventory screens

Destiny-esque UI only gets me more hyped tbh. It's an amazing interface, and thinking anything along the lines of that should only ever be used in the Destiny series and NEVER AGAIN is weird. UI's copy elements from each other all the time.

ChouGoku

There will be a group of people who insist the game absolutely lives up to every promise and they will act like they can't understand the reaction everyone is having, like "didn't you know the game would be like this for so long based on the prerelease material?! It's been clearly stated!"

Or the people who act like the game failed and their opinion represents the majority of people who bought the game ala Destiny

CJVaughn

Banned
Besides a similar cursor and a clean minimalist design, it's not really a copy.

Both game's inventory screens
If you Google 'Destiny Ship UI' the first result is the image you posted of No Man's Sky, so its hardly a baseless comparison. I don't think the argument is that the UI is exactly the same, but that individual UI assets are nearing a level of similarity that is borderline plagiarism.

There will be a group of people who insist the game absolutely lives up to every promise and they will act like they can't understand the reaction everyone is having, like "didn't you know the game would be like this for so long based on the prerelease material?! It's been clearly stated!"

And there will be a group of people that no matter what come into all the No Man's Sky threads and shit on the game every chance they get and wonder why people even enjoy playing the game when it's so "boring" (aka just clearly not for them).

The bolded is a very possible scenario. People who have been "concerned" with NMS for so long because the game clearly doesn't appeal to them based off of info will play the game and won't like it (surprise!). And they will wonder why, and people will rightfully tell them that they were told exactly what they were getting into.

nOoblet16

Didn't Hello Games say, just last year, that NMS will have "responsive controls and run at 60FPS" ? Now it's looking like it's struggling to manage 30.

Alienous

Destiny-esque UI only gets me more hyped tbh. It's an amazing interface, and thinking anything along the lines of that should only ever be used in the Destiny series and NEVER AGAIN is weird. UI's copy elements from each other all the time.

I'm not sure that anyone is thinking along those lines. Just that it comes across as lazy, more than anything else.

The Destiny team built this award-winning UI and it kind of seems like it's being filched. Especially considering the size of the studio I wonder if they just decided not to hire a UI designer to design something of their own.

I'm not arguing that it's morally wrong or anything.

Well for me, it works and looks good. As soon as I played the Destiny beta, I automatically hoped that future games would pick up on those UI sensibilities. I'm not complaining one bit, i'm rather ecstatic actually.

Zom

Banned
I wonder how really big are the planets

like 1:1 big? or a little bit down sized so you can explore it all with some time.

I'm not sure that anyone is thinking along those lines. Just that it comes across as lazy, more than anything else.

The Destiny team built this award-winning UI and it kind of seems like it's being filched. Especially considering the size of the studio I wonder if they just decided not to hire a UI designer to design something of their own.

I'm not arguing that it's morally wrong or anything.
I really don't think it comes across as lazy. Lazy would be literally copying the exact same UI and just slapping a different color palette on it IMO. They designed their own UI inspired by Destiny's UI. But nothing about is anything close to digital plagiarism

This is simply devs adopting something that works well from another game. Again, it happens any time a game introduces something that works really well, from mechanics (RE4, Gears) to controls (CoD, GoW) to ideas (Mirror's Edge leading to a wave of first person parkour/platformers)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I wonder how really big are the planets

like 1:1 big? or a little bit down sized so you can explore it all with some time.

How many people explored all of The Witcher 3s map? Now times that by 100 and you have a fraction of what you'll be able to explore on any given planet. Isn't that enough? During the recent 30 minute playthroughs, Sean Murray said, "see those two pixels down there? That's the area you've just been exploring."

How many people explored all of The Witcher 3s map? Now times that by 100 and you have a fraction of what you'll be able to explore on any given planet. Isn't that enough? During the recent 30 minute playthroughs, Sean Murray said, "see those two pixels down there? That's the area you've just been exploring."

It's about sense of scale

Damn isn't that really too big? Like bog for the sake of being big?

Zom

Banned

I dont have a problem being 1:1, that amazingly good,

Actually I'm trying to understand the technical aspects of it, in terms of space rendered, the memory space occupied in a hard drive, I have no idea what I'm talking about lol.

So many millon planets and places to go will have some weight in a HD if you visit a lot I suppose.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Damn isn't that really too big? Like bog for the sake of being big?

The very point is that you can't possibly explore a whole planet or the whole universe. Knowing everything is beyond reach gives the player a true sense of isolation and insignificance. To boldly go where no man has gone before only rings true if you know you are going where no man has gone before. It's the pull of the game, the essence of its design and the reason I want it now.

To jump in and counter this, think about HP and MP bars in multiple games. Which game was the first game to feature Health and Mana bars? Well, a google search turns up nothing. But it's a familiar concept that was no doubt spawned by a game, and that many games use to this day.

That doesn't make it a bad thing that alot of games have HP or MP bars, just like having similar concepts(Whether it's Menu/UI design or gameplay design) doesn't make it a bad thing.

The whole point is that you can't possibly explore a whole planet or the whole universe. Knowing everything is beyond reach gives the player a true sense of isolation and insignificance. To boldly go where no man has gone before only rings true if you know you are going where no man has gone before. It's the pull of the game, the essence of its design and the reason I want it now.

Not only that but to share with other people your story. With the Witcher 3, you reach a point in discussion where you'll inevitably start talking about the same quests and same things. The differences being in how you did it, but there will be someone who probably did it just like you.

With NMS that's impossible. You can both be talking about the same planet, but maybe you landed on completely different parts of it because you went at it while it was orbiting on the opposite side where you friend landed on it. Since the planets are huge, then even if it's the same planet you'll inevitably have done different things on there.

It's quite a wonder what this game will be.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Actually I'm trying to understand the technical aspects of it, in terms of space rendered, the memory space occupied in a hard drive, I have no idea what I'm talking about lol.

So many millon planets and places to go will have some weight in a HD if you visit a lot I suppose.

The memory space for the planets will be tiny. It's just mathematics. Once the servers go live and you boot up the game, ALL the planets and everything in the universe are assigned an algorithm. Once that algorithm is assigned it means that planet can be reproduced exactly as it was the first time you visited it. No planet exists on your HDD, just the maths to create it.

The very point is that you can't possibly explore a whole planet or the whole universe. Knowing everything is beyond reach gives the player a true sense of isolation and insignificance. To boldly go where no man has gone before only rings true if you know you are going where no man has gone before. It's the pull of the game, the essence of its design and the reason I want it now.

Ah yeah I can see what they are going for.

It raises an interesting issue though, namely that of balancing exploration / discovery with an ambitious scale. If the worlds are too large, and the points of interest poorly indicated within proximity, then it'll be tough to discover anything, ever. On the other hand, if the points of interest are shown too readily, and too much of a planet's surface is populated with items, then it lessens the sense of accomplishment, and arguably makes the scale of each planet seem fairly pointless.

I'm struggling to think of a game that's had me so simultaneously excited and nervous about its potential pitfalls at the same time. The ambition of this game just seems to grow with each new round of info released.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Not only that but to share with other people your story. With the Witcher 3, you reach a point in discussion where you'll inevitably start talking about the same quests and same things. The differences being in how you did it, but there will be someone who probably did it just like you.

With NMS that's impossible. You can both be talking about the same planet, but maybe you landed on completely different parts of it because you went at it while it was orbiting on the opposite side where you friend landed on it. Since the planets are huge, then even if it's the same planet you'll inevitably have done different things on there.

It's quite a wonder what this game will be.

I play games to explore and one of the bones of contention between me and my son is the fact he often goes to places I haven't seen before and so ruins my sense of exploration. I want to be the one confronted by something unique when I turn that corner. But with this game it won't be a problem. Hell, we'll be able to watch 10 let's plays a day and still never see the same thing in our own game. Amazing and exciting.

I am really fighting the urge to pre-order...I know there is no need to with digital but it's a compulsion. I am really interested in this, I love the concept behind it. Wish games were not 80 bucks in Canada.

amnesiac

All of these recent previews are using the same capture footage, correct? Is it possible that this footage was shot at 30fps when it should have been set to 60fps? All of the gameplay we've seen has been 60fps since the Portal trailer it seems. If the recent footage was captured correctly, then that has to mean this is the first time actual PS4 gameplay has been shown, right?

Grief.exe

Serious? Might not get it then. I know it seems silly probably but to me it was kind of important.

A big part of the game's design is landing on planets and exploring them, gas giants cannot be landed on, I'm guessing the team at Hello Games decided to leave them out.

Gas Giants would most likely have several moons due to their large gravity wells, but from the game's point of view that is an arbitrary distinction. You are either landing on planets orbiting a sun, or planets orbiting a gas giant, the difference is, ultimately, arbitrary from the game's mechanics.

EDIT: It could have been other reasons as well. Potentially couldn't get the algorithm working correctly with gas giants present, or PS4 performance concerns.

Tomeru

If you Google 'Destiny Ship UI' the first result is the image you posted of No Man's Sky, so its hardly a baseless comparison. I don't think the argument is that the UI is exactly the same, but that individual UI assets are nearing a level of similarity that is borderline plagiarism.

There is no ship UI is Destiny, so...

Grief.exe

Do we know how many speeches of animal each planet will contain?

It's all probability.

Planets with life will be a rarity, planets teeming with life will be even rarer.

With a sample size that spans the entire Galaxy, the permutations where both of these events will be enormous.

OmegaDL50

It's all procedurally generated so it's not taking up space on your HDD. The core assets are there for art, user interface and programming stuff for the game to work.

But as far as maps, it's all generated on the fly and calculated mathematically using the systems that NMS uses for terrain, creature, and world generation.

For example Minecraft is a very small game, only a couple hundred megs at best, but it's world sizes are near limitless compared to preset world assets in open world games like Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and several others.

In fact there was an article that someone walked in a straight line in a Minecraft world for 3 straight years and only traveled apparently 700 or so kilometres. A Minecraft world you spawn at it's center from the center to one end it's roughly 12,000km. (At least in the version of Minecraft he played which is beta 1.7.2 which future versions this Far-End thing was patched out)

http://kotaku.com/a-man-has-spent-three-years-trying-to-walk-to-the-end-o-1509473657

Outside of static assets like music, art, textures, and game code. NMS won't take much space.

In short: World size has no bearing on how much disc space is used, especially in regards to procedural generation.

Top Bottom