• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky previews (03-03-2016)

Here is a more critical reaction to the preview event: http://www.gamekult.com/actu/preview-no-mans-sky-ps4-A160203.html

A Redditor has summarized the article:

• The journalist played mostly on PS4 and was shown a PC version before
  • Crappy FPS and low details on planets on PS4 vs PC
  • Shooting feels boring (no feedback)
  • No reward/loot for killing on planets or in space, confirmed to be like this at release
  • Sloppy controls of both walking and flying (walking is too slow, and flying is too simple to be interesting)
  • Space station (big crystals) are big and empty (just a terminal to buy/sell stuff)
  • Police robots on every planet, even unexplored ones, kills the immersion
  • The feeling is that the developers were pushed to show it to the press, but it feels like as if they did not like the idea of showing their game in this state
  • This all looked scary for the journalist with the June release date in mind, based on his game-previews experience

Really don't like the idea that the police are on every planet. I knew they said that would be the case awhile back, but it kinda sucks knowing you'll never be truly alone on a planet.

SPORE 2.0

Whompa02

I feel like that journalist is expecting a lot from a game that presents itself as a game that shines through it's simplicity.

I don't want Eve online in this game...or anything complex...I want to casually boot up the game, fly around and dick around in space, and then turn the game off when I'm bored or hungry.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Probably the game I've been most ambivalent about for a long, long time. Having said that I'm hoping it is good and not as repetitive as the engine suggests it might be. Fingers crossed for the reviews because I would like to buy it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I don't want Eve online in this game...or anything complex...I want to casually boot up the game, fly around and dick around in space, and then turn the game off when I'm bored or hungry.

I concur, all I want is a game to relax with and live out a dream of flying from planet to planet and exploring.

moojito

All of these cryptic non-answers are making me feel a little...

13.jpg

RedSwirl

Okay to be serious though:

I wonder what other parameters we'll be able to see for planets. Will we even be able to see the parameters of a planet after scanning it? I'm talking things like the age of the solar system, atmospheric composition, diameter, atmospheric pressure, semimajor axis, average temperature, etc. We know gravity won't be a factor, and I imagine toxidity is probably gonna be a binary factor of "toxic or not toxic." It would be nice if there were different kinds of "toxic" and you had to prepare your suit for each kind, or if you had to customize your suit to deal with high atmospheric pressure. Semimajor axis (along with the type of star) would be an indicator of what the planet's temperature might be like, but it would only be one indicator -- the atmosphere should also play a factor. Age would indicate the likelihood for life probably.

I think you're SOL on being a poacher, though Sean said that currently there's a bug of sorts where you can get an animal on your ship and then fly it into space. So maybe you could be more of a space cattle rustler. Don't know if there are towers, but there are mountains that are high enough that you can see the curvature of the planet from the top of them.

I was actually making a bad ubisoft joke lol

Grief.exe

There's a good chance some journalists will rip this game to shreds.

Let's be honest, the majority of mainstream journalists prefer games with simplistic mechanics, with a ckear, obvious path, constant stimulation, and no possible way to get lost or confused.

Kerbal Space Program is coming to consoles, within the next few months I think.

My console engineering bros rejoice!

My GOTY 2015 can now be experienced by more people!

I wonder what that journalist means by "flying is too simple"

It's got roll, pitch and yaw right?

I guess the reviewer wanted flying more like E:D. But it's obvious Hello is trying to target a wide audience and doesn't want to put people off with complicated controls.

However, I was surprised when I watched some of that German press guy video linked earlier – he said that ships had an energy distribution system where you could transfer energy from shields to weapons to boost firepower. Reminded me of the old X-Wing vs TIE Fighter games. So not everything is simplistic.

I wonder what other parameters we'll be able to see for planets. Will we even be able to see the parameters of a planet after scanning it? I'm talking things like the age of the solar system, atmospheric composition, diameter, atmospheric pressure, semimajor axis, average temperature, etc. We know gravity won't be a factor, and I imagine toxidity is probably gonna be a binary factor of "toxic or not toxic." It would be nice if there were different kinds of "toxic" and you had to prepare your suit for each kind, or if you had to customize your suit to deal with high atmospheric pressure. Semimajor axis (along with the type of star) would be an indicator of what the planet's temperature might be like, but it would only be one indicator -- the atmosphere should also play a factor. Age would indicate the likelihood for life probably.

Well, we've seen that when you discover a planet you can see its atmospheric composition, but who knows about the rest. Sean said in one of the IGN First videos that the distance of a planet from its star determines the average temperature and likelihood of life existing there. I believe the more toxic planets are also further out. I imagine though that planet generation is probably based around more generalized rules that vaguely simulate our universe, rather than the more realistic criteria you're talking about.

I was actually making a bad ubisoft joke lol

Ah sorry, I figured it was something like that.

Zom

Banned
I cant believe the amount of doubt and questioning that this game as, or maybe is just gaf.

Luckily for me, it has everything I want, cant wait till june.

E92 M3

I hate that June is so far away, but one question still looms: Will different planets have different atmospheres? I want entry to be longer than 7 seconds.

One things that's bothered me that I'm not sure is true is whenever you do something to raise your wanted level, it seems like the space police (forgot their name) just magically appear near you.

Gattsu25

Banned
SPORE 2.0

As someone who really enjoyed the space campaign in Spore and also the game Space Pirates and Zombies because they offered a near endless set of environments for you to engage in space combat and exploration while gradually building up a more powerful presence in space while also punishing failures (seems like NMS will be the harshest of the three and Spore will be the mildest) none of that sounds like the end of the world to me.

Sorry for the run on.

It's nothing like spore lol

On a gameplay level, no.

But on a trajectory level, it certainly has that potential.

-Long and storied development.
-Lofty promises about procedural content.
-Lofty expectations about said content (Spore was way worse about promising things beforehand).

But whether it will release and be shallow, repetitive and lacking in end-game content is entirely unknown at this point. The potential is there, but to me, I think they've already showed more interesting things than Spore ever did.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's written by a member of Hello games

I know, I referred to the post that summarized the negative article about the game, which mentioned that the space police is everywhere, which is not the case as the PS Blog post indicates.

Gattsu25

Banned
On a gameplay level, no.

But on a trajectory level, it certainly has that potential.

-Long and storied development.
Cutting you off right there, sorry if that is rude.

By the time the game comes out it will only have been announced for 2 and a half years.

How is that a long and storied development? That's about as average as average can get.

Cutting you off right there, sorry if that is rude.

By the time the game comes out it will only have been announced for 2 and a half years.

How is that a long and storied development? That's about as average as average can get.
Games don't begin development when they are announced. No Man's Sky has been in development around 2011-2012, when they were working on Joe Danger 2. Also their offices got flooded during development, so they had to recover from that

Gattsu25

Banned
Games don't begin development when they are announced. No Man's Sky has been in development around 2011-2012, when they were working on Joe Danger 2. Also their offices got flooded during development, so they had to recover from that

Even that is perfectly in line with how long it takes for a team to create a new engine and then develop a game on it.

Hey, just noticed this while watching that IGN video, Is this a new Sentinel type?

7WEdqa3.gif

Or maybe...mechanical lifeforms on planets? Looks like they're moving in a pack/herd...

Trouble

Banned
Hey, just noticed this while watching that IGN video, Is this a new Sentinel type?

7WEdqa3.gif

Or maybe...mechanical lifeforms on planets? Looks like they're moving in a pack/herd...

I'm pretty sure I read about quadruped sentinels in one of the recent articles. They certainly look a lot like the biped sentinels.

Gattsu25

Banned
This is actually super old but I was rewatching the Gamespot 2014 E3 interview and the topic of 'will you be doing any protecting' (paraphrasing) came up. The answer was that there is a "malevolent force within the universe".

Is that referring to the Sentinels? Or the motivation toward heading to the center of the galaxy?

https://youtu.be/YwX0g4ZkMH0?t=582

This is actually super old but I was rewatching the Gamespot 2014 E3 interview and the topic of 'will you be doing any protecting' (paraphrasing) came up. The answer was that there is a "malevolent force within the universe".

Is that referring to the Sentinels? Or the motivation toward heading to the center of the galaxy?

https://youtu.be/YwX0g4ZkMH0?t=582
Well don't know quite what the malevolent force is. It's just one of the many mysteries of no mans sky that we will have to uncover

Exis

Hearing that this is a builder game was a bummer for me, but then again I would rather it be a walking simulator.

Top Bottom