• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky previews (03-03-2016)

OmegaDL50

From what I understand, all of the public footage of the game has been done with "alternate universes" – builds of the game that have different seed values (the numerical value which dictates the way the universe is created using their algorithms). Sean said that most devs have their own local, unique universes on their machines. There is a "true" universe at Hello, but I don't think we've seen it.

Ehh...I was kind of hoping they put some kind of easter egg into the game.

Like landing on one of the planets shown off in the demo and you get a trophy "Discovered first planet Hello Games showed off" or something like that.

But with there being apparently a Quadrillion planets, that's worse than finding a needle in a haystack, but more like finding a specific needle in a stack of needles.

Theoretically they could probably do something that would lead you to a specific planet or at least give your coordinates to it.

All the demo planets are going to be long gone by the time the final build comes around though.

http://n4g.com/news/1875125/sonys-p...-beautiful-and-above-all-brilliant-daily-star

My Apologies if this was posted already, a glowing preview:

"From our brief time playing the game, we saw space, planets, mined caves, killed creatures and felt like a genuine space explorer.

Probably a fairly bad one we’ll admit but we certainly enjoyed the chance to wander at our own pace, with nothing forcing us to hurry up or move on.

Just how well this will translate into a fully fledged title remains to be seen.

If left alone for too long our attention might have started to wander.

We might have only scratched the surface of the game, but one thing’s for sure, we can't wait to jump back into that spacecraft and explore everything else the game has to offer when it launches in June."

Gattsu25

Banned
Every single video, even ones showing 'New Gameplay', in the OP were either just a person speaking, or a person speaking while looping the same slow-panning stock footage I can only assume was supplied by the devs. I cannot find a single true gameplay video, and I'd really like to because I'm interested in the game.

As far as 'scripted' gameplay, if you legitimately think the devs can't rig a 30-40 minute demo that contains pre-scripted events then I really don't know what to say. There's so much info that brags about how rare it would be to find life on a planet and etc., yet every single review I've read has multiple big, interesting events happening within the span of 30 minutes? It just has that smelly smell that smells smelly.
Wait, are you saying that you are new to the concept of previews with B-Roll footage or just inherently distrusting of such previews?

Every single video, even ones showing 'New Gameplay', in the OP were either just a person speaking, or a person speaking while looping the same slow-panning stock footage I can only assume was supplied by the devs. I cannot find a single true gameplay video, and I'd really like to because I'm interested in the game.

As far as 'scripted' gameplay, if you legitimately think the devs can't rig a 30-40 minute demo that contains pre-scripted events then I really don't know what to say. There's so much info that brags about how rare it would be to find life on a planet and etc., yet every single review I've read has multiple big, interesting events happening within the span of 30 minutes? It just has that smelly smell that smells smelly.
Do you think a preview of landing on nothing but barren planets would be informative, or do you think they were showing off specific things like the survival elements, the NPCs and monoliths, etc.?

As for the stage demos and press showings, 1) they tweaked the algorithms so species looked like animals we recognize and there were more dinosaur-like species, and 2) they modified things so they can provide an exciting showing (i.e. jumping hundreds of light years across the galaxy, instantly teleporting to planets, showing planets with life so the creature and plant generation and Sentinels could be shown off)

It's a demo tweaked to show exciting and interesting quickly because you only have a limited time to show things. You can't give ten sites ten hours to explore and fly around.

BigDug13

One thing I'm looking forward to that we haven't really gotten to experience even in previews yet is the Procedural Music generation. Where the music is procedurally generated from bits and pieces that have been recorded. That's going to add a whole other level of immersion for me. Hopefully there's enough bits of music for the system to auto-compose some interesting and continuously varied music.

I understand all that. I was trying to get CJVaughn to elucidate on their argument. They were showing a lot of concern, but being very vague and unspecific about what they were concerned about. I
It just seems like the typical "concern" trolling that's become popular in the last few years.

Edit

Scepticism is fine, but I understand the why the dev is intentionally hiding things until release, it's really frustrating how pretty much everything about a game is known before launch these days, surprises are rare.
The feeling of "discovering" a game is hard to find these days.

Jal

Do you think a preview of landing on nothing but barren planets would be informative, or do you think they were showing off specific things like the survival elements, the NPCs and monoliths, etc.?

As for the stage demos and press showings, 1) they tweaked the algorithms sospecies looked like animals we recognize and there were more dinosaur-like species, and 2) they modified things so they can provide an exciting showing (i.e. jumping hundreds of light years across the galaxy, instantly teleporting to planets, showing planets with life so the creature and plant generation and Sentinels could be shown off)

It's a demo tweaked to show exciting and interesting quickly because you only have a limited time to show things. You can't give ten sites ten hours to explore and fly around.

Have they been doing this for all the previews, because every piece of footage i've seen since this was revealed has shown the same 'fish''dog''large mammal''dinosaur''bird' etc, obviously with variations but every planet seemed to follow the same formula.

Have they been doing this for all the previews, because every piece of footage i've seen since this was revealed has shown the same 'fish''dog''large mammal''dinosaur''bird' etc, obviously with variations but every planet seemed to follow the same formula.

That what they've said yes.

Man, rewatching the interview, it's really good and really makes me confident in the team, Sean is so likable and humble
I would say, actually, we're quite stupid. And that's the reason why we've done this, because I think if we had sat down and thought it through, it would have seemed impossible and not a very good way to make a game.

But we just started doing it. I just started writing tech, and it sort of worked. I describe it as being on a train, and you start shoveling coal into that train, and it moves faster and faster and faster. So now we're like at breakneck speed. There's no escaping that train. If we jump off, we'll be killed. It's like this runaway train now.

That's actually true. You hit problems, and you think "Oh my god, we'll never be able to solve this", and then you sort of think, "Well...we have to." So, we do

...This is the hardest thing I've ever done.

In sum and substance: "It's not possible". "No, it's necessary", to borrow from a certain sci-fi movie

Edit: and another really good 40 minute talk with Sean, on managing expectations and working on the game

MADGAME

Do you think a preview of landing on nothing but barren planets would be informative, or do you think they were showing off specific things like the survival elements, the NPCs and monoliths, etc.? ...snip
If 90% of the worlds do not contain lush and diverse life as Sean stated, then yes it would be quite informative And accurately depict what most discoveries will look like.

OmegaDL50

If 90% of the worlds do not contain lush and diverse life as Sean stated, then yes it would be quite informative And accurately depict what most discoveries will look like.

Those barren hunk of rock planets will probably have their use in some form, like being mineral rich or something, making them mainly good mining spots.

Of course it could just be there for the sake of being there. Even I had Minecraft biomes that were useless and had no animals to hunt and was mostly consistent of useless dirt and cobblestone.

Say the universe was spread out in a giant circle. The larger outer circle would probably be the starting planetary systems everyone starts on. As you gradually get closer and closer, I suppose the quality of materials and the hostility of alien lifeforms increases.

Of course this would also mean the closer to the center you get the higher chances of running into other people competing over the highest quality resources, all in the pursuit of reaching the center and finding whatever it is that's there.

MADGAME

Those barren hunk of rock planets will probably have their use in some form, like being mineral rich or something, making them mainly good mining spots.

Of course it could just be there for the sake of being there. Even I had Minecraft biomes that were useless and had no animals to hunt and was mostly consistent of useless dirt and cobblestone.

Say the universe was spread out in a giant circle. The larger outer circle would probably be the starting planetary systems everyone starts on. As you gradually get closer and closer, I suppose the quality of materials and the hostility of alien lifeforms increases.

Of course this would also mean the closer to the center you get the higher chances of running into other people competing over the highest quality resources, all in the pursuit of reaching the center and finding whatever it is that's there.

Yes, I believe Sean even said the barren planets are more rich in minerals. My point was in response to the same canned footage that the journalist were provided not resonating well with some. So may games journalist, bloggers, etc got to play and they weren't allowed to use their own footage. I understand trying to "show off" some features but this wasn't just a trailer they saw, each description and review I read from their experiences sounded incredibly interesting and I feel the game would have benefited from allowing them to share it.

For example, I read one experience of someone discovering underground caves while exploring the surface of a planet, another tried to jump to another system and ran out fuel. After running out of fuel and stranded in space, the were able to mine resources from asteroids to make fuel. After resuming the journey, they were intercepted by pirates and killed. Another was on a barren planet, and found nothing while wandering for about 30 minutes. Before that demo was over, a life-form was discovered and made the journalist's playtime memorable. All of these sound like wonderful experiences, and I would love to have seen accompanied footage along side the verbal and written descriptions, instead of only the canned footage everyone is restricted in using.

Sean claimed it's a hard game to demo, but the abbreviated descriptions above of others' experiences begs to differ. If some would be off-put by any of those experiences, at least they are getting honest, real examples of play.

RedSwirl

Another thing to think about is something we've heard almost nothing on: how the controls and action will feel.

We know the flying controls and everything will be "arcadey," but we still don't know if they'll feel like a good arcade game. I haven't played Joe Danger so I don't know the precedent that set, nor do I know what other games the people at Hello Games worked on previously. Aren't there former Criterion guys working on this game? I'd like to know if the people who played the game think it had tight controls with good responsiveness and tactile feedback. That's gonna be really important for people who do a lot of fighting.

I'm not expecting Halo or Destiny or Call of Duty-level shooting controls. This is the definition of a mile-wide game with various gameplay systems in it. But if the controls are tight and the whole game has a good sense of feedback it'll enrich the entire experience atop the foundations. What we've seen of the UI so far looks to be a good sign but I'd like to know more. Again, I'm not expecting Elite-style flight, but if we can at least get something that lightly resembles Ace Combat I'll be satisfied.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm liking what I'm reading from the latest round of previews. But I can't remember the last time I wanted a demo more badly, if only to be sold on such an unconventional game. But I can't imagine how difficult it would be to make it happen for a game like this.

Another thing to think about is something we've heard almost nothing on: how the controls and action will feel.

We know the flying controls and everything will be "arcadey," but we still don't know if they'll feel like a good arcade game. I haven't played Joe Danger so I don't know the precedent that set, nor do I know what other games the people at Hello Games worked on previously. Aren't there former Criterion guys working on this game? I'd like to know if the people who played the game think it had tight controls with good responsiveness and tactile feedback. That's gonna be really important for people who do a lot of fighting.
Sean Murray was the technical lead director of Burnout 3. I'd say he has a good idea of how to do solid enjoyable arcade-y controls

OmegaDL50

Sean Murray was the technical lead director of Burnout 3. I'd say he has a good idea of how to do solid enjoyable arcade-y controls

It seems most of the Hello Games staff are basically former Criterion and Kuju Game's devs working on Burnout 3 and Geometry Wars Wii port.

http://www.hellogames.org/about-us/

I don't think there is actually a bad game these guys worked on.

Even the Joe Danger games are excellent Excitebike-inspired Motorcycle Stunt games.

No Man's Sky definitely shouldn't disappoint in Arcadey fun aspects based on the history of these guys.

One thing I'm looking forward to that we haven't really gotten to experience even in previews yet is the Procedural Music generation. Where the music is procedurally generated from bits and pieces that have been recorded. That's going to add a whole other level of immersion for me. Hopefully there's enough bits of music for the system to auto-compose some interesting and continuously varied music.

This video with 65daysofstatic is about all I've seen about the procedural music, but Murray does say he wants the music to be different on every planet you go to.

I'm personally more excited by the animal sound generation. Paul Weir is a really smart guy, and my jaw dropped when I saw that he emulated a vocal tract.

Sean claimed it's a hard game to demo, but the abbreviated descriptions above of others' experiences begs to differ. If some would be off-put by any of those experiences, at least they are getting honest, real examples of play.

I think you have to think about it from a PR perspective. If Hello let a media outlet film their 20 minute demo, the player might warp to a barren planet, and then the instant internet meme would be that NMS is boring and would validate all the people who come in these threads saying such. I think Hello/Sony feels that semi-controlled demos are the best way to minimize what is a very unpredictable game from showing 20 minutes of rocks.

To be fair, a technical lead is not necessarily the same skillset as someone who knows how to make controls and systems 'feel' good. I'm a big optimist on NMS, but the footage I've seen of space combat has never felt right to me and the battle effects have looked underwhelming. That's fine, there's plenty else to do in the game. Or maybe the next three months of polish will tighten things up.

Does the ship that comes with the LE ruin this? Like, will I instantly just be able to hop off the planet and into a new star system?

I've thought about this a bit and I think that everyone will start in an escape pod, but a space station in the system will contain your pre-order ship. To me, yes having a ship at start that has a hyperdrive ruins that initial experience a bit, but I'm guessing that you'll still need to collect fuel to actually make a jump to another system.

geomon

LOVE the sound design. I almost think this should be it's own thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akDQbRE5yXc&feature=youtu.be

(B-roll footage with raw audio)

it-s-official-cbs-is-creating-a-new-star-trek-television-series-oh-god-yes-692450.gif

SomTervo

Fucking yes man, i forgot about this.

Gruso

I'm personally more excited by the animal sound generation. Paul Weir is a really smart guy, and my jaw dropped when I saw that he emulated a vocal tract.
Oh man. I've been following since the beginning, but I missed this!

White suspected that if he built digital vocal chords (stimulated by columns of mathematically simulated air) the system would achieve naturalism. “The first results were a bit like the squeaker out of a dog toy,” he said, which wasn’t surprising: blow through the mouthpiece of a clarinet without the instrument, and the effect is similar. White then added a digital version of the pharynx, which sits behind the mouth and nasal cavity; it served as a resonator, amplifying sounds produced by the vocal chords, but also altering their texture. The squeaks became elongated. He called this the system’s “trumpety-chicken-duck-whale-car-horn phase.” By the end of January, several weeks after he had started programming, he added a digital mouth—the final component necessary for a rudimentary virtual vocal tract. Then he set about giving his creation a voice.

Every vowel is defined by a narrow band of frequencies, known as a formant, which are created by the vocal tract as a whole—the way sound resonates throughout all its parts. White found a paper from 1962, titled “A Study of Formants of the Pure Vowels of British English.” The paper, based on recordings of twenty-five male subjects, contained a table of the relevant data. Late one night, alone in his Edinburgh studio, he copied the values for a vowel labeled “/a/ hard” and plugged them into his system. The digital resonance that White had created—with vocal chords, pharynx, and mouth all affecting each other—caused the utterance to take on human character, and the result was a blood-curdling scream.

The scream: https://soundcloud.com/newyorker/no-mans-sky-creature-vocal

Oh man. I've been following since the beginning, but I missed this!

My bad, I forgot Paul had hired Sandy White to code the synthesized vocalizations. He was a ZX Spectrum programmer:
Sandy walked away from the fledgling games industry and spent "a few years bouncing around the planet trying to figure out what to do". He eventually returned to computers as a freelance software engineer specialising in "soundscaping and mechatronics"

So that makes sense now that Weir hired him for the generative audio.
The NMS previews we've seen have mostly used the same animal sound for every creature, but this track gives an idea of how the sound design will really help to immerse the player in these worlds.

I still think people aren't understanding the scale of the game. Even in one of the most recent reports, someone wrote Hello Games aren't concentrating on multiplayer because there's a less than 1% chance you'll meet someone. I mean I guess 0.000000000001% chance is less than 1% but I think it gives a false perspective to round it up.

I think "the centre of the universe" has also been misrepresented, and a lot of people think that it's going to be a small room where you meet and greet with other players who've travelled there. But with the scale of 18 quintillion planets, even a central area that included 180,000 planets would be 0.000000000000001% of the total planets in game and could be considered a centre and they could all contain some kind of resolution or "truth" to the universe.

Carn82

I think "the centre of the universe" has also been misrepresented, and a lot of people think that it's going to be a small room where you meet and greet with other players who've travelled there. But with the scale of 18 quintillion planets, even a central area that included 180,000 planets would be 0.000000000000001% of the total planets in game and could be considered a centre and they could all contain some kind of resolution or "truth" to the universe.

Or it will be a supermassive black hole and when you fly into it, the game begins anew with a newgame+ seed

/random thoughts

OmegaDL50

I still think people aren't understanding the scale of the game. Even in one of the most recent reports, someone wrote Hello Games aren't concentrating on multiplayer because there's a less than 1% chance you'll meet someone. I mean I guess 0.000000000001% chance is less than 1% but I think it gives a false perspective to round it up.

Oh I have general idea of the scale of the game.

One thing I wondered though is how planets will scaled proportionally to each other or at least comparatively to even Stars and other massive objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n--RMK06S4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBZkyXMQwGw

Like for example I'd find it highly interesting to have a planet on the scale of our Earth and it's parent Star being a billion miles away but is scaled to something like Rigel or even Antares...or possibly even UY Scuti.

It's probably not something likely to be implemented in No Man's Sky simply due the huge sizes involved but it is an interesting thought.

Alej

Banned
Yeah, Oblivion was pretty good and 2001 was just a tad self indulgent.

I like both. And I see plenty pieces of the two in No Man's Sky.
The journey, the monoliths, even the sound design scream 2001.
But the mystery behind what we have to do, what we are and the fact we will understood via our own experiences and memories with the game... That is totally Oblivion.

A little Interstellar somewhere and "shut up and take my money".

Heh. Black robot with red sensor instantly brings to mind HAL

You weren't that far off actually. And I think it's totally done that way on purpose. But I can't spoil anything about Oblivion.

No. It's Oblivion by Joseph Kosinski. ;)
One of the best movies I've seen actually (behind Interstellar...).
I was under the impression that oblivion was pretty bad so I skipped it. Will have to give it a watch. Im just learning that Kosinski also did the Gears of War 'Mad World' commercial. Cool.

Those videos about the sound design and the one talking with 65days has made me even more excited and I'm already almost too excited.

E92 M3

Did they ever talk about weather patterns like tornadoes or heavy wind storms? I know we have rain, but never saw anything else.

MADGAME

I think you have to think about it from a PR perspective. If Hello let a media outlet film their 20 minute demo, the player might warp to a barren planet, and then the instant internet meme would be that NMS is boring and would validate all the people who come in these threads saying such. I think Hello/Sony feels that semi-controlled demos are the best way to minimize what is a very unpredictable game from showing 20 minutes of rocks.

I was thinking about it from a PR perspective, which with the canned footage being repeated ad nauseum isn't resonating well with many. People may be in for a surprise thinking planets are going to be lush and rich with diverse life, when actually 90% of the planets won't contain life, and I forgot the percentages from their but of the remaining 10% only a minority will have rich and diverse life.

So from a PR perspective, if what they are showing does not accurately representing common gameplay or excludes common experiences altogether, could result in perceived broken promises and scathing reviews.

Personally I would not mind and even enjoy mining barren planets, even if the majority of planet discovery resulted in this experience. Others may feel tricked.

SomTervo

Did they ever talk about weather patterns like tornadoes or heavy wind storms? I know we have rain, but never saw anything else.

Don't think so. I think it's unlikely :(

A game I'm helping develop has that an it's an insane amount of work in and of itself.

I think each planet's unique atmosphere will be doing the work here. We know some are toxic, some super cold, some super hot, some radioactive, etc.

I was thinking about it from a PR perspective, which with the canned footage being repeated ad nauseum isn't resonating well with many. People may be in for a surprise thinking planets are going to be lush and rich with diverse life, when actually 90% of the planets won't contain life, and I forgot the percentages from their but of the remaining 10% only a minority will have rich and diverse life.

So from a PR perspective, if what they are showing does not accurately representing common gameplay or excludes common experiences altogether, could result in perceived broken promises and scathing reviews.

Personally I would not mind and even enjoy mining barren planets, even if the majority of planet discovery resulted in this experience. Others may feel tricked.
He's made it clear that each time he's showed it off he altered it so idk how anybody could feel tricked.

MADGAME

He's made it clear that each time he's showed it off he altered it so idk how anybody could feel tricked.
Is the average consumer aware of this? Sometimes it's easy to lose perspective on GAF how closely we are associated to the art of games.

If the answer is yes or if the average consumer is aware that footage shown won't represent common planet discoveries then I agree, there shouldn't be any sour faces about it.

Top Bottom