• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - What changed over the course of development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh hey, here you go thread. Posted just a couple hours ago, someone at reddit went through all the information repositories and compiled everything that didn't turn out quite as expected/promised. Thorough and complete answer to the primary question of this thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...res_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

There's some inaccuracies in this list – many of the cited animal bits are actually in the game. But the factions and solar system points are painful to read because most of that was taken out.

It's hard to explain this bit with how the game currently is a static group of planets with a skybox:
Sean Murray said:
"The physics of every other game—it’s faked,” the chief architect Sean Murray explained. “When you’re on a planet, you’re surrounded by a skybox—a cube that someone has painted stars or clouds onto. If there is a day to night cycle, it happens because they are slowly transitioning between a series of different boxes."

"With us,” Murray continued, “when you're on a planet, you can see as far as the curvature of that planet. If you walked for years, you could walk all the way around it, arriving back exactly where you started. Our day to night cycle is happening because the planet is rotating on its axis as it spins around the sun. There is real physics to that."

UCBooties

Yup, I flew into the middle of a battle last night that had AIs on my side.

As for how long it takes to find something, that's fairly random. My first planet had three crashed ships and a monolith on it, so it didn't take me very long at all.]

Did you find crashed fighters that you could swap to or did you find large crashed ships like in the screenshots from before release? I've found plenty of crashed fighters and small monoliths but nothing of the scale they were showing before launch.

I'm enjoying the game but I do wish that it looked more like what they showed before release as far as scale and variety of planetary terrains.

There's some inaccuracies in this list – many of the cited animal bits are actually in the game.

Some of it is debatable. For example when Sean says some animals will "eat" others, and then in-game all you see is some animals attacking and killing others and leaving their ragdolled corpse where it sits. Is that "eating?"

amnesiac

Oh hey, here you go thread. Posted just a couple hours ago, someone at reddit went through all the information repositories and compiled everything that didn't turn out quite as expected/promised. Thorough and complete answer to the primary question of this thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...res_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

Was waiting for someone to take the time to do this.

Edit: Just got done reading. I may have skipped some things, so he could have mentioned this but I sort of doubt it. Am I the only one who is really bummed that they seemed to have toned down the overall color palette from earlier trailers? I haven't seen any planets as visually appealing/colorful/vibrant as these http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212816706&postcount=6554 Those planets would have been really nice to explore.

wrongway

CHC

I'm pretty forgiving to this game overall, but yeah, that's quite a lot of stuff. It's too bad they couldn't wind up coming out early access. What's there is decent but it's just really clear that it launched because it had to, probably financially, rather than because what they had met their vision for it entirely.

nynt9

I guess this is the right thread for this video, since we were told to post it in a relevant thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ&feature=youtu.be

A pretty savage takedown of what they said we could do and can't. One thing that they said that no one has been talking about is how we were supposed to be able to destroy all the terrain on the planets, and how they showed giant creatures trampling trees.

Really disappointing.

ironcreed

Banned
As I just mentioned in another thread, I am just now getting a full grasp on how full of shit Sean Murray and company were. I did not keep up with every interview and everything that was said, so it was easy to get misled. But I still feel like a fool for buying the game and believing that we were getting exactly what we have been shown.

Alebrije

Some of it is debatable. For example when Sean says some animals will "eat" others, and then in-game all you see is some animals attacking and killing others and leaving their ragdolled corpse where it sits. Is that "eating?"

Becuase they ate their souls no need for flesh

qcf x2

As I just mentioned in another thread, I am just now getting a full grasp on how full of shit Sean Murray and company were. I did not keep up with every interview and everything that was said, so it was easy to get misled. But I still feel like a fool for buying the game and believing that we were getting exactly what we have been shown.

I don't feel misled because like you I didn't keep up with it, but I also have enjoyed the game that we got. With that said, reading through that list it has every complaint I had about the game and a ton of other stuff that would have and should have been awesome. So I definitely now feel confused and disappointed that they so radically cut back on the entire experience.

I've seen people claim they saw animals eat others, but I haven't seen it personally. The animal foodchain is something we never saw in footage and so personally I always assumed the creature AI would not be very impressive.

Am I the only one who is really bummed that they seemed to have toned down the overall color palette from earlier trailers? I haven't seen any planets as visually appealing/colorful/vibrant as these http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212816706&postcount=6554 Those planets would have been really nice to explore.

This planet was in my first system. While not a utopia (it was toxic), it was a very pretty, lush world that made me feel the way I felt watching those NMS trailers.
yroD8Rq.png

I think it's interesting that Sean talked about this being next-gen tech when it really seems to working at the same basic Perlin noise filter level that other sandbox games do. I guess I'm mostly disappointed that for all the big "maths" talk that Hello Games talked, there's nothing super revolutionary in terms of terrain generation. I don't really totally buy that the tech "definitely puts the game above the majority that try to design large-scale terrain" either. The impressive thing about the procedural tech on show is the fact that there's 18 quintillion of these planets. Whether or not you think it's worth it to explore 18 quintillion of the same bumpy-ish planets is a matter of taste of course.

Yeah, after what they talked about I was expecting it to at least come close to Space Engine as far as large scale terrain features were concerned (mountain ranges, canyons, plateaus, etc.), I mean, that was all done by one programmer. Dwarf Fortress maps are probably even better, although that's not quite as fair since it can take minutes to generate the terrain for each world.

The discrepancies covered on this list leave me wondering if there is grounds for a lawsuit here? Especially this bit.

"The most recent promo material from July, the four pillars videos released just a month before launch, are all using new footage from that same old build of the game that very clearly does not represent the one people can buy. That footage is still being used to sell this game even now, and it's no better than what Sega did with Aliens: Colonial Marines."

That's false advertising right?

The discrepancies covered on this list leave me wondering if there is grounds for a lawsuit here? Especially this bit.

"The most recent promo material from July, the four pillars videos released just a month before launch, are all using new footage from that same old build of the game that very clearly does not represent the one people can buy. That footage is still being used to sell this game even now, and it's no better than what Sega did with Aliens: Colonial Marines."

it seems extremely messed up to me, i dont know how the joke that is games journalism isnt asking these questions or doing this work, and i dont know how these companies arent held accountable after release.

NMS is selling great. Thats great for them. But its selling great after making some serious false promises and misrepresentations. That, to me, is bbbbad.

bj00rn_

Banned
I guess this is the right thread for this video, since we were told to post it in a relevant thread

A pretty savage takedown of what they said we could do and can't. One thing that they said that no one has been talking about is how we were supposed to be able to destroy all the terrain on the planets, and how they showed giant creatures trampling trees.

Really disappointing.

And in the same context, here's a new video from TotalBiscuit going in-depth explaining why and how it all possibly came to this

I will now talk about No Man's Sky hype for about 40 minutes

eot

Banned

Really disappointing.

Damn, that's painful to watch

it seems extremely messed up to me, i dont know how the joke that is games journalism isnt asking these questions or doing this work, and i dont know how these companies arent held accountable after release.

NMS is selling great. Thats great for them. But its selling great after making some serious false promises and misrepresentations. That, to me, is bbbbad.

Its depressing that it took fans to datamine and compile all these things, journalist should be doing those things.

Been thinking about this. A big thing in games is creating the illusion of something bigger going on. Perhaps Murray and Co just wanted people to play and think that those ships that just flew past them could be human players. They wanted to let people imagine. Thats not necessarily an evil thing to want but of course people were going to factually look at what the game is and isn't doing. I guess what I'm trying to say is that perhaps this came about from naivety more than malice? It's just that he crossed the line between the kind of illusion players want to be sold [you are flying around in an endless universe making unique discoveries] and the kind that they didn't [I could run into another player one day]

DryvBy

Until I watched all of these videos, I didn't understand people's disappointment except for the "you can run into other players". I guess I get it.

As someone who enjoys this game and have a good chunk of hours in it, this type of either lying or BS behavior should be treated as false advertisement because it's exactly just that. I can see maybe a couple of things not happening and there should be a few strikes before it's critical, but after watching some footage today and see all the crap they said you could do and you can't, I just don't get why anyone is trying to silence others for speaking out about it. If you say there's some form of MP (like Journey MP), if you say you can land on an asteroid, if you say you can do X, Y, and Z and all of that is a lie, then you've falsely advertised your game.

This is coming from someone who still really likes what I'm playing. I just don't ever read up on games because of games from the captain of false advertising, Peter Molyneux. It's best to just watch a few trailers, read a bit about what people have played and anytime you see assumptions in an article of what the journalist said you could do, take that with a grain of salt. Then throw that salt in a barrel of salt and try to find those salt crystals again.

Persona 5, I'm just going to trust you're going to be a new Persona game equal or better than Persona 4 with a new story. That way I'll never be disappointed!

Kinyou

Looking at the steam store page, most (maybe all?) Screenshots seem to be from the very early builds, where they had that big dinosaur walking around etc. Unfortunately that's hardly something only No man sky does. Advertising with bullshots seems to be okay for some reason.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
It seems standard in the games industry now to overpromise and then underdeliver. Like an actual marketing technique, which is incredibly slimy. Sad it has trickled down to Indies too.

OmegaFax

Hello Games spent a lot of their time selling the image of an indie game development studio. This has all the misgivings of a well talked about Kickstarter project without an actual Kickstarter.

Sean Murray is Hello Games. People go in and out on the excuse that they're a smaller game development company but the guy is literally the company and the game is sort of his brainchild project. There's fewer fingers to point around.

Every point or question people have asked this guy in these YouTube interviews, he's bounced around and looked at the ground like a bashful 5 year old in front the camera. He never gave a straight answer. Now that we have the final product, we know he downright consciously knew he was demo'ing or selling something that wasn't true and consistently doing it up until the game's release. No straight answers, misleading comments, or straight up selling something that a customer wasn't going to see.

All I can say that's positive about him is that he must be a good pitch guy. "No" doesn't seem to cross his vocabulary. The more I read about this guy, the game, and the company, even that little forward he sent out with review copies rings a bit disingenuous or to soften up reviewers. Can't imagine what pitch meetings must have been like with publishers.

Sure. The game looks good in a screenshot. I'm glad people are putting their PS4's share button to good use but that's not the game.

Yeah, after what they talked about I was expecting it to at least come close to Space Engine as far as large scale terrain features were concerned (mountain ranges, canyons, plateaus, etc.), I mean, that was all done by one programmer. Dwarf Fortress maps are probably even better, although that's not quite as fair since it can take minutes to generate the terrain for each world.
Space Engine is really neat tech and a cool example. I guess I just bought into the hype too much and expected something revolutionary like that rather than what a team like Hello Games could make.

Tarn Adams is basically a genius too. Dwarf Fortress is great, but I wish we could get him to do some work 3D procedural tech too. He might have some great ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom