• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noragami Aragoto |OT| The God Nobody Knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
7bsWVSn.jpg

What is it?

This is the second season of the anime adaptation of Noragami (Stray God). It is a Japanese manga series authored by Adachitoka that began serialization in Kodansha's Monthly Shōnen Magazine in January 2011's issue. The manga is published by Kodansha Comics in the US.

Adachitoka is the pen name for two female manga-ka: Adachi, who is in charge of foreground characters and Tokashiki, who is in charge of backgrounds.

Plot synopsis

In the first season, Yato is a minor god whose dream is to have a lot of followers worshipping him and praying to him. Unfortunately, his dream is far from coming true since he doesn't even have a single shrine dedicated to him. To make things worse, the only partner he had to help him solve people's problems, had just quit the job.

His godly existence and luck just might change when he stumbles upon Iki Hiyori and saves her life; a feat which also leaves her in quite a predicament so she is stuck with him until her problem gets resolved. Together with Hiyori and his new partner-weapon Yukine, Yato will do everything he can to gain fame, recognition and just maybe, one shrine dedicated to him, as well.

In the second season of Noragami the main focus is on Bishamon, god of combat. She has a strong hate for Yato, as a dark past binds the two of them. How will the horrifying events dated hundreds of years ago in combination with current evil happenings affect Yato and Yukine?

Qtzgs3L.jpg

Why should I care?

It features a supernatural cast of deities and spirits from Japanese Shinto lore mixed with modern settings. Despite being a shonen manga, it focus more on character development and relationships than battles. It has a good mix of humor and serious moments.

The action and animation is guaranteed to be great because it is being produced by BONES, a studio that has a number of recognized productions. The first season showed good production values and was well received by anime fans and AnimeGAF. Also it has awesome Taku Iwasaki music. Oh yeah, BONES is duckroll favorite studio.

How can I watch Season 1?

Funimation
Netflix
Hulu (Dubbed)

Why should I care if I did not like the first season?

The first season only adapted the first arc of the manga and finished it with anime original content, leaving many plot threads unresolved and little of the world developed. The second season is all about, as described at the plot synopsis, unraveling what happened in the past between Bishamon and Yato. It will also expand the cast by introducing the god Ebisu and Bishamon shinki. Finally, first season spoilers
Yukine will not be a insufferable piece of shit

Staff

Original Creator: Adachitoka
Director: Kotaro Tamura (Noragami)
Series Composition: Deko Akao (Arakawa Under the Bridge, Snow White with the Red Hair)
Music: Taku Iwasaki (Gurren Laggan, Jojo Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency, Gatchaman Crowds, Katanagatari)
Chief Animation Director/Character Design: Toshihiro Kawamoto (Comboy Bebop, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Golden Boy, Wolf's Rain)
Chief Animation Director: Hideki Yamazaki (Noragami)
Art Director: Kazuo Nagai (Eureka Seven, The Sky Crawlers, Star Driver)
Production Studio: BONES (Fullmetal Alchemist, Space Dandy, Wolf's Rain, Soul Eater, Eureka Seven)
Opening Theme: "Kyōran Hey Kids!!" by THE ORAL CIGARETTES
Closing Theme: "Nirvana" by Tia

Characters

Kazuma VA: Jun Fukuyama
Bishamon VA: Miyuki Sawashiro
Iki Hiyori VA: Maaya Uchida
Yato VA: Hiroshi Kamiya
Yukine VA: Yuuki Kaji
Ebisu VA: Ryotaro Okiayu

Daikoku VA: Daisuke Ono
Kofuku VA: Aki Toyosaki
Kuraha VA: Kazuhiko Inoue
Kugaha VA: Takanori Hoshino
Nora VA: Rie Kugimiya
Tenjin VA: Toru Ohkawa

Streaming options and schedule

Begins on October 2.

Fridays at 16:05 UTC+0 (12:05 EST). Stream link

Noragami Aragoto begins at Episode 13 titled "Bearing a Posthumous Name"

PVs

Happy watching!

qIEIzvW.gif

linid0t

Didn't know this had an anime adaptation! Is it worth watching even if I've read the manga? How's the animation quality?

Didn't know this had an anime adaptation! Is it worth watching even if I've read the manga? How's the animation quality?

The first season starts really strong, but moves into filler territory towards the end. Still ends well. Animation quality is pretty great, since it's from Studio Bones. (Space Dandy, Darker than Black.)

The new arc will focus on the Bishamon arc from the manga.

tumblr_n0qq5mWh1D1sz9akzo1_r1_500.gif

Moaradin

Just watched the first season a few days ago. Liked it a lot. The anime original content was eh, but I'm glad it got a second season.

Ventara

Oh, I didn't know they were making a second season. The first one didn't seem that great to me. I mostly remember how much time they spent on that kid getting cursed and how Yato stupidly let it happen. Can't even remember the ending. Edit: Oh wait, now I remember. Something with that other demon god or whatnot.

Dennis

Banned
Based on this recommendation I will check out the first season.

I need to find a new workout anime after Prison Sch...eh, I mean, after Dragonball ended.

Based on this recommendation I will check out the first season.

I need to find a new workout anime after Prison Sch...eh, I mean, after Dragonball ended.

Noragami S1 suffers from a similar complaint to Evangelion with Shinji. Just keep in mind that small kids in tough situations can get annoying.

Russ T

Banned
Only watched the first season very recently 'cause people were talk'in about it in the anime thread and it was great.

And then I learned there's a new season!!!

Exciteeeed.

Mortemis

Banned
Enjoyed the first season, so I'm hyped for this. CR hasn't picked this up? Damn, they had the first season, hopefully they can get it and not end up like those shows they can't get the second or third season. Edit: actually, I'm not even sure if they ever had the first season...

Busaiku

Enjoyed the first season, so I'm hyped for this. CR hasn't picked this up? Damn, they had the first season, hopefully they can get it and not end up like those shows they can't get the second or third season. Edit: actually, I'm not even sure if they ever had the first season...
Yeah, it was always Funimation.

Russ T

Banned

Funimation has the first season. I'm assuming they'll get season two.

Qvoth

i really really love the manga, never knew adachi toka are 2 different mangakas
have been a fan of them since alive
goya no machiawase is a great song, will the op or ed be sung by the same artists?

i really really love the manga, never knew adachi toka are 2 different mangakas
have been a fan of them since alive
goya no machiawase is a great song, will the op or ed be sung by the same artists?

Opening Theme: "Kyōran Hey Kids!!" by THE ORAL CIGARETTES
Closing Theme: "Nirvana" by Tia

The season one opening was sung by HELLO SLEEPWALKERS. The ed is by the same artist.

duckroll

I'll be happy if the OP is as stylish as the first season's. This season already has two OPs which are going to be hard to top though. Both the new Lupin III and The Perfect Insider have really great looking OPs.

Dynedom

I'll be happy if the OP is as stylish as the first season's. This season already has two OPs which are going to be hard to top though. Both the new Lupin III and The Perfect Insider have really great looking OPs.

Haven't seen: will check out.

My girlfriend loves this show so much. I don't think it's the best anime ever like she does but I'm still pretty excited for this season. P.S. First season's ED was awful. OP was good though.

First episode aired. Updated the OP with the stream info.

Noragami Aragoto Ep 01

OP: Nice song. Great animation there.
ED: I liked the previous song better. Not feeling it, maybe a I will grow on it.

There was a plenty of Bishamon in this episode. Bishamon with the Buster Sword was pretty good <3

Thre was also the usual Yato antics lol. Solid episode.

Guess I'll post here as well:

Noragami Aragato 1

Mostly a reintroductory episode reminding the viewer how the world works and how the characters tick. The characters are still fun to watch so it was enjoyable and plot seems to start moving now. The intro sequence already allows for some speculation:
I guess in the past Bishamon acquired such a large number of regalias that she couldn't handle all the bad feelings and got corrupted. Yato then took it upon himself to save her and sliced and diced his way through her regalias. Not a bad setup (if true), but not terribly original either.

I am not sure what to think of this Bishamonten shit because the OVAs made it look like they wanted to fuck? They were also drunk but whatever. I dunno. I have a feeling the stuff Yato didn't isn't as bad as it looks.

I am not sure what to think of this Bishamonten shit because the OVAs made it look like they wanted to fuck? They were also drunk but whatever. I dunno. I have a feeling the stuff Yato didn't isn't as bad as it looks.

The OVAs were not intended to be viewed for anime only viewers but for the manga readers.

duckroll

Pretty good start to a new season. It reintroduces the characters and premise without being boring for those already familiar with the series. Lots of foreshadowing for the rest of this story arc taking place throughout the episode, fun random stuff like the baby monster. I love seeing Yato used as a stepping mat. The OP and ED are both really nice parallels to the ones from the first season, especially the ED. I would have liked to see more camera rotation stuff in the OP but the action scenes made up for it.

Noragami Aragato 1
A good reintroduction to the series. Basically checks all the marks for the first episode of a new season. Reintroduces the characters in a nonoverbearing way, has some random fun action, has some good Yato antics and foreshadows well and straightforward with a flashback. The ED is a little weak but the OP is pretty good.

I'm not entirely happy they seem to be using the same soundtrack as the first season, but it makes sense that they wouldn't create a whole new soundtrack lol.

As to the first episode, it was ok. Nothing made me laugh out loud or was particularly amazing.

duckroll

Episode 2

Getting dark in here. The flashback montage for Suzuha was pretty well done. They're setting the tone for a pretty brutal adaptation of the Bishamon arc. Hope they don't hold back. If they can retain the production values from the first season towards the end, there's going to be some pretty awesome action by the end of this season.

Phatmac

Anyonr got a total count for how many times shit kid Yukine has cried? I'm surprised no one has been suspicious of the doctor has he screams untrustworthy to me from his interactions so far. I wish this season has more funny Yato moments as they're the best part of the show. It's sad to see how far Hiyori has fallen to bring a damsel in distress as I hoped her UFC love would make her a mixed martial artist instead of another love interest that needs to be saved. Hoping the Bisahmon stuff is dealt with soon as she isn't the interesting so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom