• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Carolina GOP headquarters firebombed | Investigation underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Trump's statements are fucking disgusting.

Investigations has just begun, and he's already firmly blaming Hillary and the democrats. Fucking scumbag. It's like he wants a civil war or something.

Well, it's not like it's anything new for him. He's been doing it since at least the Central Park jogger case.

Lime

lol at people donating to the GOP when its policies do so much violence to so many people in the US. Some gems on Twitter:

Saladin Ahmed ‏@saladinahmed 7h7 hours ago
As a kid, our arab community center was burned down. That doesn't make me feel for the GOP. It makes me say DON'T GIVE MONEY TO RACISTS.

HimForHer ‏@ThomboyD 6h6 hours ago
If GOP thoughts and prayers suffice when 23 little kids are murdered by guns protected by their policies, I can offer same for their office.

btw, here's what the NCGOP chair thinks about people whose homes are currently underwater getting five extra days to register to vote.
Cu8d_o9WYAAHmZD.jpg

Julia Carmel ‏@JuliaCarmel__ 5h5 hours ago
At least six Black churches were deliberately set on fire by arsonists last year. Where was your crowdfunding campaign to help them rebuild?

mosques have been getting their windows smashed and TRUMP spray painted on them for months now and i didn't see any gofundmes pop up

Lime

https://thesouthlawn.org/2016/10/17/liberals-for-trump/

That is what the $13,000 is going towards. The ugly fact is those who gave to this fundraiser, shrieking fools like Clay Shirky and Anil Dash, support social progress but only so far as it allows them the ability to feel smug and high-minded about the state of American politics. The phrase, “they go low, we go high,” has been uttered so many times on social media in conjunction with this incident that it has lost any meaning it might have had. This fundraiser is a grand gesture made hollow by the fact that they are making it to a hate group. Giving money to the NC Republican Party in the wake of this fire does not strengthen democratic norms, because the NC Republican Party is actively trying to destroy democratic norms. Why else would they try to ram through a judicial elections law that was transparently an effort to rig the process, much less the well-documented campaign of Black voter suppression?

As Vann Newkirk and Christopher Hooks each pointed out, there is nothing binding the NC GOP from using this money in an horrifying and awful fashion. It does not have to use this money to re-open the burned county office. It can use this money for any purpose it so decides, including a further defense of voter suppression or a program of voter caging. By giving this good-sized wad of cash to the NC GOP, these assholes have made it harder for those fighting against the far-right agenda in state in the name of feeling good about themselves. This is what we meant when we wrote that American liberalism died after it retreated into culture. Instead of thinking of politics in a strategic fashion, 551 people just shoved millions of North Carolinians under the bus tonight because, as one astute tweeter put it, “it’s what my West Wing box set would have done.”

Vyse24

Trump's statements are fucking disgusting.

Investigations has just begun, and he's already firmly blaming Hillary and the democrats. Fucking scumbag. It's like he wants a civil war or something.
This is the same guy who points the finger at "radical Islamic terrorists" immediately whenever a shooting or an explosion happens. It's like his default setting.

KonradLaw

Weren't they cases of people getting assaulted for wearing Trump hats? So escalation isn't surprising. Hopefully it dies down once election is over.

I do not know how someone can say "Trump is a fascist racist misogynist hate mongering monster who is doing serious damage to our country by even being in the race" and then turn around and say "but it is important to show solidarity with his people, you know, to show that we can bridge the gap and stand together and all that"

Because I don't assume moral defect is at the root of the other side having beliefs I think are shitty?

Can people please stop with the "But guys, we're winning!" nonsense? We'll have the Presidency for at least the next four years, but who knows how long the GOP will drag out SCOTUS nominations? And it's looking likely they'll control the House and the Senate as well. They'll still get millions of votes on the federal level even with how much of a dumpster fire their party currently is. And from Google:

The result is that Republicans control both the governor's mansion and legislature in 24 states, 70 of the nation's 99 state legislative chambers, both chambers in 30 states, plus Nebraska's single chamber, and 31 governor's mansions.

This is not a political party thats just limping along. They don't need material support.

Actions speak louder than words. When they go low, we go high.

I don't think anyone is obligated by any means to give money to this, but I can't understand condemning it. The idea is to make them whole after an intolerable act of violence. If you'd prefer them to be isolated dealing with the aftermath of the firebombing, if you'd discourage others from voluntarily helping to undo the consequences of it, then how do you really oppose the outcome? Our stance can't be that the world is better off having political offices firebombed out of existence.

40% of the (voting population of the) country is going to vote for these people. They're going to be here after the election is over. At some point we're going to have to figure out how to live together respectfully.

Having a democracy of any kind means being able to accept that elections are legitimate, sacred institutions whose outcomes determine how our country is run. You can fight tooth and nail through the political process, protest in the streets, speak out in the press, go door to door with signs, but once you believe that the opposing party does not have the right to participate in the political process, that is the path to chaos. There are plenty of other countries that operate that way, but I'm not willing to watch the United States choose that path.

did you commission aaron sorkin to write this post for you

rjinaz

Can't believe people are getting so heated over this issue.

It's 13k that has already been donated. It's done. Let the people that donated worry about their conscience. It is not enough money to do anything. Like it's a laughable amount of money compared to how much money exchanges hands through the GOP.

Laugh at it if you must, but it's not worth the harsh words being thrown around.

Edit: Thought I was is poligaf. Ah well. At least it was on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom