• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea protests Ghost Recon 2 storyline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Culex said:
Sorry guys, but the Patriot 2 missle system is big joke. Not only does it not work, its shot down our own aircraft (and 2 Candadians in the past year, mind you), detected imaginary fighters and completely missed out on dumby rockets during testing. If another country shot ICBM's at us, we'd all be toast. Defense shield my ass!

Patriot units are not designed (nor could they) be used against ICBMs. The Patriot PAC-2 was originally designed to be used against aircraft. Shortly before the first Gulf War it was quickly modified to fire against short ranged missiles such as Iraqi Scuds. Not surprisingly it didn't work to well. After a lot of work and modifications we now have the current version of the Patriot missile known as PAC-3.

Also, it performed well during the war in Iraq. It hit and destroyed all nine missiles that it targeted, including one heading toward the Coalition HQ. It did hit and destroy two Coalition aircraft, a British GR4a Tornado and a U.S. Navy F-18 (I would like a link to the news about the Canadian planes, I haven’t been able to find one). The Tornado incident was found to be caused by the British plane’s IFF not working and weaknesses in the operation and procedures of the PAC-3 system (in other words more training and experience with the system will prevent other incidents like this from happening in the future). The F-18 incident I believe is still under investigation, at least I haven’t heard of any conclusions yet.

Culex

Banned
Screaming_Gremlin said:
Patriot units are not designed (nor could they) be used against ICBMs. The Patriot PAC-2 was originally designed to be used against aircraft. Shortly before the first Gulf War it was quickly modified to fire against short ranged missiles such as Iraqi Scuds. Not surprisingly it didn't work to well. After a lot of work and modifications we now have the current version of the Patriot missile known as PAC-3.

Also, it performed well during the war in Iraq. It hit and destroyed all nine missiles that it targeted, including one heading toward the Coalition HQ. It did hit and destroy two Coalition aircraft, a British GR4a Tornado and a U.S. Navy F-18 (I would like a link to the news about the Canadian planes, I haven’t been able to find one). The Tornado incident was found to be caused by the British plane’s IFF not working and weaknesses in the operation and procedures of the PAC-3 system (in other words more training and experience with the system will prevent other incidents like this from happening in the future). The F-18 incident I believe is still under investigation, at least I haven’t heard of any conclusions yet.

You are correct, they were 2 coalition planes, not Canadian. I'm thinking of that US pilot that dropped the 500 lb bomb on the Candadians doing drills in Iraq.

I believe you should read these articles, as they will inform you of how the Patriot System really "works".

HERE
60 Minutes Special
BBC

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Culex said:
You are correct, they were 2 coalition planes, not Canadian. I'm thinking of that US pilot that dropped the 500 lb bomb on the Candadians doing drills in Iraq.

I believe you should read these articles, as they will inform you of how the Patriot System really "works".

HERE
60 Minutes Special
BBC

That first link is about the PAC-2 system that was used during the first Gulf War, not the 2nd. I agree that the system did not work at that point in time. I also agree that the system isn't perfect. There still seems to be major problems with identification, thus leading to two friendly fires (as shown by the other two links). At the same time I believe that the benifits outweigh the risks. The PAC-3 did shoot down all nine missiles that it targeted and engaged. If the Patriot system hadn't been deployed it is very possible the Coalition HQ itself couled have been destroyed (then again the missile could have missed). The military also seems to understand that there are still problems with the system and are in the process of fixing them.

CNN News Report

U.S. Army officials said they are asking Congress for $43 million in the Defense Department's fiscal year 2005 budget for Patriot upgrades and improvements, including fixing shortfalls identified in the system during the invasion of Iraq.

Also in the link contains more information on the friendly fire with the British Tornado. I'm assuming they also received the funding since I believe they just passed the defense budget and I haven't heard of any major cuts.

Also how did we go from talking about a stupid plot for a videogame to talking about nuclear war and ICBMs, to talking about Patriots and theator missile defense?

explodet

Screaming_Gremlin said:
Also how did we go from talking about a stupid plot for a videogame to talking about nuclear war and ICBMs, to talking about Patriots and theator missile defense?
Tom Clancy has a way of doing that. :p

Phoenix

Screaming_Gremlin said:
abl2.jpg

Airborne Laser

story.jpg

Tactical High Energy Laser

The Israeli THEL variant is already in production around their nuclear facilities. The airborne laser is somewhat interesting though has some confusingly difficult intercept characteristics as its supposed to shoot down missles in the boost phase which would mean have ABL planes flying over hostile airspace waiting for the missles to launch. If you know someone plans to shoot missles at you, seems to be a faster trip to put GBUs on the facility that plans to launch them.

And no, Patriot missle batteries lack both the ability to track, to catch and to reach ICBM by several thousand miles.

Ranger X

Anyhow, just think about it for 2 seconds: A VIDEOGAME that make a reaction at a government. A fucking videogame man. Humans sure have alot of time to lose. Anal.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Wyzdom said:
Anyhow, just think about it for 2 seconds: A VIDEOGAME that make a reaction at a government. A fucking videogame man. Humans sure have alot of time to lose. Anal.

yes folks videogame talk please...more of it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom