• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

Shin-Ra

Oh, yeah. Real note from Microsoft:
“After a record-breaking holiday, 2016 is off to a great start with continued growth in Xbox Live on the strength of the unmatched lineup of games available on Xbox One. In January, the total number of hours spent gaming in one month on Xbox One worldwide surpassed 1 billion hours. Looking ahead to this spring, fans can enjoy more great games with the upcoming releases of ‘Quantum Break,’ ‘Rocket League’ and ‘Tom Clancy’s The Division.’ We can’t thank our fans enough for their continued support and passion for Xbox, and we’re looking forward to bringing more of the games and experiences our fans want most in 2016.” – Mike Nichols, Corporate Vice President, Xbox Marketing, Microsoft
I like how they talk about their 'unmatched lineup of games' and then highlight Rocket League as a major future release.

Is Minecraft officially the highest selling game of all time yet or what?

edit... just checked Wikipedia, not that it's totally accurate, but I guess it's currently third behind Tetris and Wii Sports, and seems likely to overtake the number 2 spot.

Intrigue

Banned
Xbox One is the only platform Rocket League is coming out on this year.

Why wouldn't you highlight it?

I guess because it is out everywhere else already. But they have to focus on their own platform, and it is a fact. It is only coming out on that platform this year.

Vena

FE of Seasons/Ages is going to be an interesting test on the buying audience of the 3DS as its the first major release since MH4U.

CLEEK

I like how they talk about their 'unmatched lineup of games' and then highlight Rocket League as a major future release.

February 2016 Microsoft PR:

“Our fans continue to set records. Rocket League sold most on Xbox One this month and is the best ever selling racing game released in 2016 on Xbox."

gamz

Is Minecraft officially the highest selling game of all time yet or what?

edit... just checked Wikipedia, not that it's totally accurate, but I guess it's currently third behind Tetris and Wii Sports, and seems likely to overtake the number 2 spot.

If you combine Android and Apple stores and it has to be, no?

onQ123

I wanna say yes? Nut I'm not 100% sure. Not near mine to check either.

200_s.gif

Hoje0308

Banned
Point is, without exclusives, they wouldn't be where they're at right now. Without exclusives, Wii U wouldn't have sold half that. And exactly how are they generating more console sales when they lost a sale due to their exclusive going to PC?

Pure speculation. Where's your evidence that exclusives are the main driver of console sales?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
If these are the numbers for the month (which we have no confirmation yet) what are the LTDs for PS4 and XBO in the US?

PS4 is up by 1 Million IIRC.

Didn't factor the WiiU number, so the XBO number should be a bit higher then the 115k. It depends on the WiiU YoY drop how much higher that actually is.

Vena

If we assume that 21% is units and we assume ~10K for Vita, that'd put 3DS in the neighborhood of 70K. Is that close enough for predictions, for those that may know?

Unless I misunderstand, prediction (quoting you) were close to that figure.

NeoGAF Aggregate Predictions - Jan-2016

1. PS4 - 196K
2. XB1 - 153K
3. 3DS - 72K
4. WIU - 48K

Also agrees with what Queso said on three out of four being lower.

Fdkn

ten pages only and half of them are about that twitter troll. This is january all right

If PS4 is over 225k it's really a great result, this year is looking good.

Star Wars only No. 4 bomba of the century confirmed.

5 copies LTD.

Far Cry Primal comes this month.

Do people have super high expectations for this? I think it will sell respectably but it doesn't seem like a heavy hitter at all.

edit: Nor do I think Ubi is expecting it to be a heavy hitter, mind you. Just seems like a smaller title than a main entry.

Elandyll

Banned
Is this true? Because if so, ouch.

XB1 really is a holiday console. No one really to blame but themselves for that.
No, IF Queso was right interpreted correctly and not just messing with us, we should have something around

PS4 >= 225k, XB1+WiiU =< 178k

Then again Zhuge said that XB1 was dead...

Top Bottom