• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2016

demigod

Man there's no stopping that ps4 train. Ms continues to lose month on month in its strongest region. I think we know why a lot of their games seem to be hitting PC now they've woken up to the PC being alive. No doubt we start to see Windows numbers in with Xbox numbers to bump them up, forcing Windows ten use to play their games points to it.

You just gave their PR department the idea to spin with MS platforms.

Last year must have been pretty great for sales to be down year over year.

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of this generation.

Shabad

So we know PS4 is 20% up yoy, so that puts it to ~230k
We also know that the next gen market is nearly flat so that puts PS4+X1+WiiU at around 410k.

Assuming Wii U is flat yoy at 60k, that would put Xbox One at 120k.
Assuming Wii U is down 25% yoy, that would put Xbox One at 135k.
Assuming Wii U is down 50% yoy, that would put Xbox One at 150k.

I am fairly sure Wii U is down yoy, question is by how much.

Javin98

Banned
Last year must have been pretty great for sales to be down year over year.

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end of this generation.
Yeah, no. Keep dreaming. You must have missed, or even better, intentionally ignored the fact that the PS4, the leading console, was up YoY significantly. What is it with PC gamers and coming into sales threads hoping that these consoles sell poorly? It's annoying and frankly, childish.

IvanJ

Banned
Its quiet clever if you think about it. Look at ubisofts software numbers. Windows 10 and xbox toegtehr makes 39 percent of sales. still behind sony's monster ps4 sales. It's the only way MS Can get close to sony, by combining 2 platforms.

Ubisoft numbers are for PC, not Windows 10.
Ubisoft has Uplay, and I would guess most money stays there or goes to Steam. I doubt MS is getting any money from those games.

Even if a console is down yoy it means nothing as we had a great holiday seasons.
Stop crying when the tide is over and the water goes back. It will return.

ethomaz

Banned
It is impressive how PS4 is up YoY with only a $50 price cut.

Sony is safe with the console price point until holidays.

MS in other hand... the complete opposite.

And put in perspective the PS4 is a cheaper machine to produce.

Elandyll

Banned
Creamsugar has the power to make the NPD thread Great Again. I believe in him, because his charts shows what he means, and he means what he says when he draws pies.
And everyone needs more pies!

YoodlePro

92gFqGi.jpg
Haha... i chuckled when I saw the eagle.

Great to see Siege continue to chart despite all the alarmism on release about microtransactions and lack of single player. Good word of mouth is keeping that game growing.

allan-bh

It is impressive how PS4 is up YoY with only a $50 price cut.

This sounded like a spin to make the result look better than really is.

With $50 price cut that happened not a long time ago, going up is what should happen, otherwise it would be a sign that the current price isn't working.

Sony strategy is working, that's good, but not impressive because that's what normally happen when the price is down.

GTAV's performance isn't all that strange It's one of the few titles/IPs/brands that has so much mainstream resonance that it's an evergreen title until the next GTA rolls around.

I'm pretty confident it'll be top 10 next year as well.

Loudninja

PlayStation Store: January’s Top Downloads
PS4 Games:
1 Minecraft: PlayStation4 Edition
2 Rocket League
3 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Call of Duty: Black Ops III
5 Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
6 inFAMOUS Second Son
7 Dragon Age: Inquisition
8 The Witness
9 Far Cry 4
10 TOM CLANCY’S RAINBOW SIX SIEGE
11 Resident Evil 0
12 Fallout 4
13 NBA 2K16
14 Need for Speed Rivals
15 Outlast
16 Metro Redux
17 Star Wars Battlefront
18 Project CARS
19 Bloodborne
20 Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/02/12/playstation-store-januarys-top-downloads/

So should Sony have bought the Minecraft IP? Seems like the only blunder they made so far this gen. It gives MS a guaranteed mega franchise to kickstart their next platform.

I would imagine Minecraft 2 just has to look better and costs the same price and people will upgrade.

Joni

So should Sony have bought the Minecraft IP? Seems like the only blunder they made so far this gen. It gives MS a guaranteed mega franchise to kickstart their next platform.

I would imagine Minecraft 2 just has to look better and costs the same price and people will upgrade.

Microsoft had a lot of cash to spend, with nothing else to do with it. And there is too much money in the series to make it exclusive.

This sounded like a spin to make the result look better than really is.

With $50 price cut that happened not a long time ago, going up is what should happen, otherwise it would be a sign that the current price isn't working.

Sony strategy is working, that's good, but not impressive because that's what normally happen when the price is down.

That is like saying the PS4 sales aren't impressive because it is the more powerful console and it should sell more. The fact is that the entire package that is the PS4 has impressive sales.

The PS4 also sold for $299 just last month. It was not a given that going back up to $349 would not have depressed sales as people waited for the $299 price point to come around again. Something similar happened to the XB1 last January before they were forced to reduced the price again.

It's not some preordained prophesy that the PS4 is selling so well. It was by design. What's going to be the next excuse to down play its sales.

"Well of course the PS4 would sell so well. Uncharted, one of it biggest franchises is releasing."
"Well of course the PS4 is selling well. It has Ratchet and Clank in the movie theater promoting it."
"Well of course the PS4 is selling so well. It has a huge VR marketing push going on."

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
"Well of course the PS4 would sell so well. Uncharted, one of it biggest franchises is releasing."
"Well of course the PS4 is selling well. It has Ratchet and Clank in the movie theater promoting it."
"Well of course the PS4 is selling so well. It has a huge VR marketing push going on."
Just like for "Interesting" we just need a generalized statement.

"Well of course the PS4 is selling well. It's the best console on the market for the most people."

Fady K

That is like saying the PS4 sales aren't impressive because it is the more powerful console and it should sell more. The fact is that the entire package that is the PS4 has impressive sales.

The PS4 also sold for $299 just last month. It was not a given that going back up to $349 would not have depressed sales as people waited for the $299 price point to come around again. Something similar happened to the XB1 last January before they were forced to reduced the price again.

It's not some preordained prophesy that the PS4 is selling so well. It was by design. What's going to be the next excuse to down play its sales.

Honestly having seen so many of Allan-bh 's posts in NPD Threads I got used to seeing him "not being impressed" by the PS4 anytime it succeeds, mostly downplaying. The irony is when a large number of people are disappointed with XB1 numbers he seems to be in the minority that defends it and is impressed. I donno, maybe i read too many Allan-bh posts. But it's a trend I noticed for many months.

I'm not dissing the guy or anything, I just detect a normal behaviour of bias

watdaeff4

Yeah, no. Keep dreaming. You must have missed, or even better, intentionally ignored the fact that the PS4, the leading console, was up YoY significantly. What is it with PS4 gamers and coming into sales threads hoping that Xbox consoles and games sell poorly? It's annoying and frankly, childish.

Hmmmmmmm

I agree with your original point, but that's not the only childish behavior that happens in these threads.

Hell there are a couple of PS4 banner wavers in particular comment more on any perceived Xbox failure than anything else.

Welfare

PS4 is acting like a market leader, I think? It's no Wii, but it is doing 360 type numbers from before the Kinect/Slim release. If the PS4 was not doing as well as it is now, that would be worrying.

There is no "impressiveness" when it comes to PS4 sales because it is expected to do that well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That Battlefront Bomba! ;)

And goodness, are people breaking their GTAV copies?

There's a PS4 bundle that isn't counted in these numbers.

Amazing this has to be said in these threads...

Every... Single... Month...

Maybe there needs to be a FAQ sticky, lol.

No Shu don't respond! Why would you do that??

I guess CrapGamer finally tried some rice though and came around to it.

Hahaha

So why was NPD George banned? For an alt account? Such valuable info.

Javin98

Banned
Hmmmmmmm

I agree with your original point, but that's not the only childish behavior that happens in these threads.

Hell there are a couple of PS4 banner wavers in particular comment more on any perceived Xbox failure than anything else.
I agree that there are several posters who have a strong desire to see other platforms fail and they should be rightfully called out. In my case, I was responding to a poster who not only made claims out of his ass, but thinks (and most likely wishes) that this is the beginning of the end of this generation. Anything wrong with calling him out?

wachie

PS4 close to 230k is a fucking over-performance. What was GAF rough expectation, something around 170k I think.

PS4 is acting like a market leader, I think? It's no Wii, but it is doing 360 type numbers from before the Kinect/Slim release. If the PS4 was not doing as well as it is now, that would be worrying.

There is no "impressiveness" when it comes to PS4 sales because it is expected to do that well.

If being a market leader was easy then the XB1 would be doing it. The PS4 sales aren't expected. They are earned. Are you forgetting all the talk at the end of last gen that console sales were dying? The sales certainly weren't expected to all those people and publishers then. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

watdaeff4

I agree that there are several posters who have a strong desire to see other platforms fail and they should be rightfully called out. In my case, I was responding to a poster who not only made claims out of his ass, but thinks (and most likely wishes) that this is the beginning of the end of this generation. Anything wrong with calling him out?

Just was amused

I don't think that Sony had an extra $2.5 billion burning a hole through their pocket. MS had the cash and obviously wanted the IP badly.

Top Bottom