• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For June 2017

Welfare

Jan-Jun 2015: 1.54m
Jan-Jun 2017: 1.78m

That means PS4 is tracking 15% ahead 2015.

I can see a new peak.

2016 also was ahead at the same point. Jan-Jun 2016: 1,580,163

PS4 sold 3,121,000 in November + December 2015. Add in October and Q4 sold 3,396,000.

Q4 2016 sold 2,915,000 despite the PS4 Pro launch and the price drop to $299.

Jan-Jun 2014: 1,576,000
Jul-Dec 2014: 3,108,000

H1 % of total year sales: 34%

Jan-Jun 2015: 1,553,000
Jul-Dec 2015: 4,175,000

H1 % of total year sales: 27%

Jan-Jun 2016: 1,580,163
Jul-Dec 2016: 3,521,045

H1 % of total year sales: 31%

I wouldn't be surprised if 2017 see's a 35% split for H1. H2 2016 was disappointing and H1 2017 seems to be making up for that with quality software and excellent price deals. Q4 will most likely be down again this year so I can't see how this year is the peak year.

GKFinns

Yep the question how much they can get extra in the rest of the year to cover Nov and Dec since they most likely going fall short there.

Between the Destiny 2 bundle in September, and the high likelihood of Call of Duty: WWII and Star Wars: Battlefront 2 bundles for the holidays, I don't think it'll be hard for PS4 to maintain momentum this year.

Elandyll

Banned
Given how impressive the sales momentum is for PS4 right now, we likely wont' see an official price drop for quite a while still.
?

Part of the result, besides a string of great exclusives, could be attributed to a very well timed price drop with a 1Tb gold slim @ $249.
A $199 500 gb console in Nov/ Dec would have huge sales imo.

Pretty sure we'll see that price on 2017, if only around BF.

So definitely on track to break the 70 million mark by January 2018. Holy smokes.

i mean...we complained and lamented on Playstation for now giving in to cross-platform play after the E3 fiasco....

these numbers basically shows you why they did not give in.....why should they?

i am sure you can say something like 'Good PR', 'increase customer goodwill', etc etc..

but you can say the same thing about Apple's eco-system too. Other than iTunes on Windows and Apple Music on Google Play Store, you don't see Apple playing 'nice' in terms of cross platform portability as well....(i.e. You can't watch stuff you bought in iTunes outside the iDevices, you can't even stream Apple events using browser that is not Safari..LMAO).

?

Part of the result, besides a string of great exclusives, could be attributed to a very well timed price drop with a 1Tb gold slim @ $249.
A $199 500 gb console in Nov/ Dec would be a huge sale imo.

That was a promotion. I'm sure you will see more promotions this holiday as well.

I'm talking an official permanent price drop. You won't see one until 2018 with this sort of momentum. I also don't think you'll see PS4 go as low as $199 this Holiday even with promotions. Probably $249 is as low as it goes.

I feel odds are pretty high though you see a $199 PS4 next Q4

Granjinha

i'm really happy for Tekken 7 and Crash.

i mean...we complained and lamented on Playstation for now giving in to cross-platform play after the E3 fiasco....

c'mon man don't even start with this bullshit argument

it's just plain stupid trying to justify this stuff. Are you a shareholder for them? Obviously not, so stop embarrasing yourself

kyser73

That was a promotion. I'm sure you will see more promotions this holiday as well.

I'm talking an official permanent price drop. You won't see one until 2018 with this sort of momentum. I also don't think you'll see PS4 go as low as $199 this Holiday even with promotions. Probably $249 is as low as it goes.

$349 Pro/$249 Base for holiday '17 I reckon, with BF deals at $199 & $299.

Between the Destiny 2 bundle in September, and the high likelihood of Call of Duty: WWII and Star Wars: Battlefront 2 bundles for the holidays, I don't think it'll be hard for PS4 to maintain momentum this year.

True this year does look to have better bundles than last year .
Last year was low for the season game sales wise if i remember right .

$349 Pro/$249 Base for holiday '17 I reckon, with BF deals at $199 & $299.

I really don't see that. Why would Sony drop price this year? Momentum is very strong, $249 is clearly still a low enough selling point they can move serious units.

If they went to $199 this Holiday they would just be throwing away money.

i am sure you can say something like 'Good PR', 'increase customer goodwill', etc etc..

but you can say the same thing about Apple's eco-system too. Other than iTunes on Windows and Apple Music on Google Play Store, you don't see Apple playing 'nice' in terms of cross platform portability as well....(i.e. You can't watch stuff you bought in iTunes outside the iDevices, you can't even stream Apple events using browser that is not Safari..LMAO).

iOS games can have cross platform multiplayer with Android, PC, etc which is the equivalent comparison.

You can even sync purchases you make outside the App Store which you bought on non-iOS devices if the developer implements it. For example, I bought Spotify Premium on my PC and that works fine on iOS app.

Welfare

Yeah, PS4 had great momentum and sales for its first 2 years before Sony decided to drop the price to $349, used the cheaper to produce slim model to hit $299, and are now back at it with those white vans and selling amazingly. No need to perma drop the price until this momentum slows in late summer 2018 at the latest.

JusDoIt

The cross-platform play thing was artificial outrage to me. Microsoft manipulated everybody into buying this whole "We really want to make cross-platform play available for the players, but Big Sony won't let us" narrative, knowing full on they'd never entertain this if the tables were turned (which is exactly why they weren't supporting PC crossplay for years when Sony was).

Polish FolkHero

Neo Member
Man I feel really down about Prey not having an impact. It's a really great experience, dang. Hopefully games of this genre will continue on but man I'm shook.
Otherwise well done PS4 whooop whooop!

Man I feel really down about Prey not having an impact. It's a really great experience, dang. Hopefully games of this genre will continue on but man I'm shook.
Otherwise well done PS4 whooop whooop!

I'm actually pretty glad a shit port didn't sell. Between them advertising Pro support even though the game didn't have any at the time, the input lag (omg) and the frame pacing I don't think Prey selling well would send a good sign to the rest of PS4 devs.

Polish FolkHero

Neo Member
I'm actually pretty glad a shit port didn't sell. Between them advertising Pro support even though the game didn't have any at the time, the input lag (omg) and the frame pacing I don't think Prey selling well would send a good sign to the rest of PS4 devs.
I don't disagree with the bad port and yeah for Arkane it should be a call to action to fix and prevent current and future releases from suffering the same shittyness. Still though the game itself is great.

Floody

I wouldn't say I'm glad, as I do really like Arkane and they've had 2 poor sellers in less than a year now. But they really only have themselves to blame for both, which is a shame, as from most accounts they are both excellent when they work.

i'm really happy for Tekken 7 and Crash.

c'mon man don't even start with this bullshit argument

it's just plain stupid trying to justify this stuff. Are you a shareholder for them? Obviously not, so stop embarrasing yourself

i am citing from their perspective. I am not saying it's 'right'.

why are you 'triggered' at me for?

I don't disagree with the bad port and yeah for Arkane it should be a call to action to fix and prevent current and future releases from suffering the same shittyness. Still though the game itself is great.

It looks great, and I'll be picking it up on Steam at the right price. I just don't think their shoddy work on the PS4 version deserves any semblance of good sales. It just makes them look all the more ridiculous and incompetent being a 'AAA studio' when they're getting mopped up technically by indie devs like Housemarque who support the Pro and HDR from day one and have lag-free controls @ 60fps.

xabbott

The cross-platform play thing was artificial outrage to me. Microsoft manipulated everybody into buying this whole "We really want to make cross-platform play available for the players, but Big Sony won't let us" narrative, knowing full on they'd never entertain this if the tables were turned (which is exactly why they weren't supporting PC crossplay for years when Sony was).

To be fair the Rocket League guys have been pushing cross play on all parties. Also Sony saying they were protecting kids was silly.

Oddish1

OR it was a purely business move by Sony that's a detriment to their playerbase which people were upset about before Microsoft capitalized on it for good PR, and that it doesn't matter what Microsoft would do in hypothetical scenario what they're doing now is more important.

FelipeMGM

It was always obvious why Sony didnt agree with the full cross play, and from their business point it totally makes sense

But it still really sucks from a consumer standpoint, and they should get the flak for their position

How are there still people that haven't bought GTAV? Thing is going to sell 100 million copies.

its actually quite logical

you buy a console, you most likely buy GTAV, simple as that

iOS games can have cross platform multiplayer with Android, PC, etc which is the equivalent comparison.

You can even sync purchases you make outside the App Store which you bought on non-iOS devices if the developer implements it. For example, I bought Spotify Premium on my PC and that works fine on iOS app.

Spotify is 3rd party...i am talking about Apple stuff purely......

Also, ios and android games compatibility are again 3rd party implementations....(i.e. Hearthstone)...

Your icloud stuff is not portable, apple stream are not viewable on non-safari browser (definitely not for technical reasons). Airplay only works between Apple devices (3rd party 'hacks' workaround are not official).

the only 2 examples i can see where apple 'work well' with others is iTunes on Windows...which they needed it as tying your ipod to only Mac users back then will be self-limiting and Apple Music on Google Play Store......which again they have to because Android is HUGE.

But if you buy a movie in apple's eco-system, there's no easy way to play it on a tv if you are not using Apple TV (or other airplay compatible equivalent).

It syncs up perfectly to The Wizard of Oz?

lol I was more so speaking of that album being on the Billboard charts for damn near 18 years, but...

I think you might be on to something far more profound...
This must be tested.

NGJAxqp.gif

To be fair the Rocket League guys have been pushing cross play on all parties. Also Sony saying they were protecting kids was silly.

Again, from a 'consumer friendly' point of view, yes...the reasons sony provided is silly.

But from a business POV, the numbers don't lie. Crossplay only benefits the competition.

Again, don't fire at me. I am not saying that Sony rejecting crossplay is 'right'. I am just saying it as it is...it's a business decision. And business decision is such that, you scratch my back and i scratched yours. In this case of allowing crossplay, other than good PR, Sony
will only be scratching others while not being scratched.

Again, for those easily 'triggered', DON'T FLAME ME! I AM NOT SAYING IT'S 'MORALLY' RIGHT FOR SONY TO DO SO.

I wouldn't say it was artificial but it was certainly made to seem like it was much bigger than it actually was. Even on GAF those threads were nothing compared to actual controversies, like the Xbox One DRM. It probably would've blown over a lot faster than it did if Jim Ryan hadn't made such a ridiculously stupid excuse for their lack of support.

jsnepo

PS4 is still a beast!

Grand Theft Auto V is incredible. I bet EA and any other publisher are scratching their heads how the fuck will they be able to make a game that sells that much across two console generations.

Floody

I wouldn't say it was artificial but it was certainly made to seem like it was much bigger than it actually was. Even on GAF those threads were nothing compared to actual controversies, like the Xbox One DRM. It probably would've blown over a lot faster than it did if Jim Ryan hadn't made such a ridiculously stupid excuse for their lack of support.

I think it'll become an actual big deal (people outside of forums and gaming news site actually giving a shit) once the Minecraft update actually happens. Probably not big enough for Sony to care much, mind, but maybe enough for Sony to comment on, without using Jim.

Yes, just like Microsoft is "manipulating" people to hate on Sony for not putting out proper BC games.

Yes, just like Microsoft is "manipulating" people to hate on Sony for not putting out proper BC games.

You're right, they aren't....but let's be real and look at something....

I see no BC titles in the Top 20 the way that it has been said on here as some impactful thing....especially the overused BLOPS2.

People can dislike Sony for not having BC for PS3 and be ignorant of it, but at the end of the day BC doesn't define a system which is being shown here. We can debate PS1 and PS2 classics but PS3 was NEVER going to happen.

And let's not forget , both of these systems launched without it and it wasn't until 2.5 years later that it was finally introuduced on the XB1.....but it doesn't matter. Who ever it matters to is the only person it will matter to, but the overwhelming majority of people who aren't buying xbox and are playing games on their PlayStation don't care. It seems like these people will still spend money on a remake, a remaster and HD collection if it works and that's it.

BC is fine to have and welcome to have....it's just not a feature that's driving anything right now. And Cross Play will only go as far as the games carry it. And the controvery is not gaining enough traction amongst the GP to care about so it's nothing but air.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Tekken is the best selling fighting.game.series outside of Smash I believe.

Well now it's trounced by for honor, if you count that as a fighting game.

T7 did above 40%+ T6 did (tho had more weeks).
Great start.

It's amazing to me to see how much the fighting game genre is rebounding this gen, and expanding to include new takes on it like ARMS and For Honor and various indie games.

It was one of the biggest lapsed genres, but the whole esports and twitch voyerisim phemonmem has done wonders for revitalizing it. Smash has done a great job. bringing in new players as Nintendo started pushing it more competitively.

So many players get kicks seeing high level skill play when stakes are involved. And thesetune in moments do a lot to emotionally engage people, and propely positioned titles are really taking advantage of these elements well.

FelipeMGM

BC is fine to have and welcome to have....it's just not a feature that's driving anything right now.

Its becoming more important by the minute tho. Some very common buzz words that I hear and see everywhere on conference calls and financial reports are ''sales from back catalogue'' and they are very important to publishers and platform holders as they see huge potential on it.

Right now, sure, a bunch of their back catalogue sales are still from products from this gen, so they are not so affected by it, but when we really flip the generation, this will change bigtime IMO.

Consumers are getting more used to be able to consume entertainment from whenever now due to how easy the internet and streaming services allow them to. Games will follow that trend too.

Top Bottom