• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Damn, Splatoon! Can't wait to get it when I get my Wii U (hopefully soon)

PS4 back on top. Wonder by how much. I guess the GS deal last month actually was the reason the XB1 won April if GS' PR is to be believed.

Witcher 3 on top. No surprise there. Wonder what the split is between PS4 and Xbone.

I'm....surprised that Splatoon is that low. Based on how well it sold the first few days in Japan, and the fact that Nintendo smartly put it out the same day there would be dozens of Nintendo fans lining up outside retail stores for Amiibos, I thought it would have had a shot at being as high as 2 (behind The Witcher). Nintendo is pretty good about giving numbers out, will be curious to see how it did.

What do Japanese sales have to do with anything here? Also it's a wii U exclusive that was only out for 3 days in may

VanWinkle

I'm....surprised that Splatoon is that low. Based on how well it sold the first few days in Japan, and the fact that Nintendo smartly put it out the same day there would be dozens of Nintendo fans lining up outside retail stores for Amiibos, I thought it would have had a shot at being as high as 2 (behind The Witcher). Nintendo is pretty good about giving numbers out, will be curious to see how it did.

I'm shocked that anybody would think any new IP Wii U game would do really well.

Kayant

This is the first time PS4 has lead in every multi plat right?

Great performance from PS4 and Splatoon. My Wii U predictions am cry.

Edit -

Am clearly blind.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Don't you need to see the absolute number first? I can't believe mlb is #9. Did this month suck mega?

Isotope

Happy to see The Witcher 3 and (Especially) Splatoon do well. Seems to be a slow month overall though with sales being down YOY.

matmanx1

The Witcher 3 represent!! Congrats to CDPR.

A slow month for hardware though, I bet. It will be interesting once we start getting more numbers from other machines (if we do).

It's a game on one sku on the lowest selling of the 3 current gen systems, new ip, and a shooter from Nintendo who isn't know for them

I'd say it beat expectations.

OCD Guy

Fifa less so i think

EA and Activision really have got the golden eggs don't they.

Games like Witcher 3 appear as they're big releases and fairly new, no doubt when Batman releases it will enter the charts,but those sort of games don't really chart throughout the year, but man call of duty and fifa have got legs alright.

I'd love to see how many copies those games sell compared to other releases.

Mortemis

Banned
Damn, look at those wonderful 101 numbers for splatoon, amirite.

Seriously tho, great numbers. So many people need to be served crow.

Bass260

Splatoon did incredibly well given only 3 days on the market. Hopefully it'll continue selling during June due to good word of mouth.

Nintendo would be delighted if they could regularly replicate Japanese sales in the West.

idlewild_

Hardware sales are down 18% YoY even though MS purposefully tanked last May's sales? Yeesh...

edit: nvm, forgot about WD last year

Welfare

XBO MoM drop was 26%

YoY rise is 81%

Weekly average

April: 187k / 4 weeks = 46,750

May: 139k / 4 weeks = 34,750

donny2112

And it continues:

ziqiYFE.png

Yay at #Splatoon :)

PS4 is behind PS2 in the U.S.

Fake Edit:
Worldwide? Just use U.S. numbers here. No reason to muddy things by mixing metrics.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Glad to see Splatoon charted, but I would like to see hard numbers... May looks to be a pretty slow month overall, so not quite sure what #5 means...

MLB The Show... The exclusive that commonly gets dismissed, charts for the third straight month... It's an awesome game, deserves good sales...

Wagram

The best thing about NPD is the ridiculous PR spins. Next month it will be: We sold 287% better than Xbox (original) did in 2003!

Congratulations Splatoon. Nothing mind-blowing but on Wii U it will probably be the most popular title that doesn't feature Mario or Link.

Kinsella

Banned
Xbox One up 81 percent YoY, the entire hardware market down 18 percent YoY. So who caused that? I'm guessing PS4 sold a lot more last May than they did this May.

MLB The Show... The exclusive that commonly gets dismissed, charts for the second straight month... It's an awesome game, deserves good sales...

What does charting translate into? How can you judge its success without an actual sales number?

Top Bottom