• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

jjonez18

Thanks Welfare and Aqua.

YTD's anyone? Compared to last year?

Edit: lol
Ask for numbers and Wellfare is there. It's like his Bat Signal.

Welfare

^I got you

YTD 2016 vs 2015

PS4
2015: 1.188m
2016: 1.347m (+13%)

XB1
2015: 981k
2016: 896k (-9%)

Wii U
2015: 326k
2016: 233k (-29%)

The PS4 definitely had an impressive YoY boost over May 2015. Besides Uncharted 4, are there any other driving factors for the boost?

$50 cheaper + generous trade in offers + its single biggest exclusive IP release to date yielded around a 50k boost. I dunno...it looks nice when you just use percentages but the actual number seems like a rather weak 'boost' to me. Especially with X1 not picking up any slack as PS4's competition.

Javin98

Banned
^I got you

YTD 2016 vs 2015

PS4
2015: 1.188m
2016: 1.347m

XB1
2015: 981k
2016: 896k

Wii U
2015: 326k
2016: 233k
Unless I totally screwed up my math, the PS4 is up YoY by 13% currently?

$50 cheaper + generous trade in offers + its single biggest exclusive IP release to date yielded around a 50k boost. I dunno...it looks nice when you just use percentages but the actual number seems like a rather weak 'boost' to me. Especially with X1 not picking up any slack as PS4's competition.
50K boost over last year in the slowest month of the year is not a good boost? Okay, then...

ethomaz

Banned
PS3 did have an insane increase MoM.

From Aqua.

April 2016 NPD: 3,700
May 2016 NPD: 10,700

What made it jump from ~4k to ~11k???

prwxv3

There is no way MS reveals Scorpio at e3 if it still has a way to go until release. The bad numbers they have right now will completely crater unless the slim model is very attractive.

Mory Dunz

yay numbers.

25k for Wii U.. wow... that's bad.

So what should we be expecting for Wii U then?

I mean, the 800k shipment divided by 12 months comes up to 66k per month.
For the whole world.

Or....are we supposed to expect more then 66k a month ww becuause of old unsold stock?

jjonez18

Seems pricecuts do the exact opposite for Sony and MS during the off season.

Sony drops the price at the beginning of the holidays. Reaps the benefits, then come January raises it again. No consequences. They actually see bolstered sales.

MS tries the same thing. Only sales flatline in this case.

I think the key difference is Sony supplying steady exclusive content in the first half of the year combined with their eye for attractive bundles.

Welfare

^Sony never raised the price

Code:
Xbox One 107,100

MoM drop = 36%

YoY drop = 23%

Weekly average

Xbox One April: 167,600 / 4 = 41,900
Xbox One May: 107,100 / 4 = 26,775

Drop = 36%

Code:
PS4 207,300

MoM rise = 19%

YoY rise = 36%

Weekly average

PS4 April: 174,800 / 4 = 43,700
PS4 May: 207,300 / 4 = 51,825

Rise = 36%

Code:
Wii U 25,300 

MoM drop = 22%

YoY drop = 41%

Weekly average

Wii U April: 32,300 / 4 = 8,075
Wii U April: 25,300 / 4 = 6,325

Drop = 41%

prwxv3

Sony drops the price at the beginning of the holidays. Reaps the benefits, then come January raises it again. No consequences. They actually see bolstered sales.

MS tries the same thing. Only sales to flatline in this case.

I think the key difference is Sony supplying steady exclusive content in the first half of the year combined with their eye for attractive bundles.

The ps4 is straight up more valuable in the eyes of a regular customer. That is why it's been able to outsell the X1 even though it's had a few temp price cuts a few times.

50K boost over last year in the slowest month of the year is not a good boost? Okay, then...

No, to be perfectly frank. It's not much of a boost at all in terms of units (which is what matters, obviously). This seems like pretty stark ammo for the 'exclusives don't sell hardware' crowd.

Javin98

Banned
No, to be perfectly frank. It's not much of a boost at all in terms of units (which is what matters, obviously). This seems like pretty stark ammo for the 'exclusives don't sell hardware' crowd.
Sure, while all other hardware are down, and the PS4 is the only one up significantly, this is bad. All right, run along.

Edit: Oh, that join date. To be expected this time of the year, I suppose.

Welfare

It's very good for May. May is the slowest month in the year and the PS4 was able to outperform April.

Very good results.

from aqua

Software Publisher $ Marketshares:

Total Software: $241.9 million ($204.7 million last May) (+18.2% from last May)

Sony: 25.61% marketshare (+505.5% from last May)
Activision Blizzard: 14.96% marketshare (+124.4% from last May)
Nintendo: 8.92% marketshare (-28.9% from last May)
Take 2 Interactive: 7.69% marketshare (-20.1% from last May)
Electronic Arts: 5.23% marketshare (+32.1% from last May)
Ubisoft: 4.55% marketshare (+32.1% from last May)
=
These 6 publishers comprise 66.96% of the May 2016 software market

Sure, while all other hardware are down, and the PS4 is the only one up significantly, this is bad. All right, run along.

Is PS4 really 'up significantly'? 50k doesn't seem like a significant boost given that it had everything going for it. I'd be surprised if Uncharted had any effect at all on hardware sales. No need to get passive aggressive, btw. It's unbecoming. :)

ethomaz

Banned
Is PS4 really 'up significantly'? 50k doesn't seem like a significant boost given that it had everything going for it. I'd be surprised if Uncharted had any effect at all on hardware sales. No need to get passive aggressive, btw. It's unbecoming. :)
35.8% is 'up significantly'.

ps3ud0

360 February - May (January missing for 2016)
2015: 168k
2016: 83k (-51%)

PS3 February - May (January missing for 2016)
2015: 166k
2016: 21k (-87%)
Cheers dude - kinda meant for the corresponding year but think I know the trend anyway...
So Edson how did those retailer insights help you? EDIT: Oops sorry mistook you for someone else - sorry, ignore me...

ps3ud0 8)

GHG

MS tries the same thing. Only sales flatline in this case.

It's about ensuring there is a steady flow of exclusive content across the year. That way there can be a new bundle pretty much every month and new advertisements. It keeps things fresh in the consumer space.

Microsoft have lost the plot this gen. They are doing the opposite of what they did last gen and it shows in the results.

prwxv3

It's all relative if ps4 only had a 50k increase during a holiday month it would be not very good.

It's very good for May. May is the slowest month in the year and the PS4 was able to outperform April.

Very good results.

I don't think you understood what my post said. I'm not commenting on the volume of sales typical of console hardware in May. I'm commenting on the meager boost to PS4 hardware compared to last year's baseline in terms of units. The low baseline sales only serve to embellish how much of a boost there was. If there was nothing going or it, I'd agree the boost was solid. But it had the backing of an INCREDIBLY generous trade in offer, on top of being significantly cheaper and having its single biggest, most hype fueled exclusive release to date plus very little competition from X1 this month.

prwxv3,

Are you suggesting factors like pricing, trade in offer and major exclusives are multiplicative factors for sales boosts instead of additive?

Damn. If PS4 is doubling up on Xbox One in NPD, worldwide must be whew...

I guess MS needs to hang in there until Scorpio, but Neo's head start and PS' worldwide presence will probably cancel that out anyways. PC supposedly isn't going as planned with everyone choosing Steam.

Don't really know what moves MS can make to recapture market and mindshare. It will be fascinating to watch though.

I don't think you understood what my post said. I'm not commenting on the volume of sales typical of console hardware in May. I'm commenting on the meager boost to PS4 hardware compared to last year's baseline in terms of units. The low baseline sales only serve to embellish how much of a boost there was.

It was up 35%. That's actually the most significant boost this year over last so far.

And a 50k boost in May is impressive.

I don't think you understood what my post said. I'm not commenting on the volume of sales typical of console hardware in May. I'm commenting on the meager boost to PS4 hardware compared to last year's baseline in terms of units. The low baseline sales only serve to embellish how much of a boost there was. If there was nothing going or it, I'd agree the boost was solid. But it had the backing of an INCREDIBLY generous trade in offer, on top of being significantly cheaper and having its single biggest, most hype fueled exclusive release to date plus very little competition from X1 this month.

prwxv3,

Are you suggesting factors like pricing, trade in offer and major exclusives are multiplicative factors for sales boosts instead of additive?

detecting rising levels of sodium

not quite a meltdown yet but lets see where this goes...

Javin98

Banned
detecting rising levels of sodium

not quite a meltdown yet but lets see where this goes...
Honestly, somehow I have a strange feeling he will be singing it in a different tune if the XB1 won.

With Uncharted is not impressive, just expected.
To be fair, many of us were thinking Uncharted 4 (or any exclusive for the matter) wouldn't move much hardware. In any case, I think we can agree it was a "good" boost.

Welfare

Cheers dude - kinda meant for the corresponding year but think I know the trend anyway...

You know, I was 50/50 on which one you meant.

3rd year YTD comparisons

(2008) 360: 1.112m
(2016) XB1: 896k (-20%)

(2009) PS3: 955k
(2016) PS4: 1.347m (+41%)

3rd year LTD

(05-08) 360: 10,242,100
(13-16) XB1: ~12,000,000 (+17%)

(06-09) PS3: 7,745,400
(13-16) PS4: ~13,700,000 (+77%)

35.8% is 'up significantly'.

If that logic were the basis of such conclusions media create threads would host the most dynamic, exciting back and forth sales discussions the internet had ever seen. There you see wild percentage swings routinely across a variety of platforms thanks to the tiny volumes. If the question to be addressed is 'how many new users bought PS4 due to this set of favorable conditions?' then the answer is apparently not very many.

Are you guys suggesting 'boosts' should be evaluated exclusively in percentages, even though that methodology does nothing to actually measure the data the question demands?! o.0

Top Bottom