• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For May 2017

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Turrican3 said:
Maybe I'm oversimplifying... *shrugs*
You are - total number of releases has gone up this gen, and just because Gaf Elite only recognizes plastic packages as games, it doesn't mean the rest of them don't exist (or make money).
The industry is a lot bigger than the retail or the online-forum bubbles, respectively - and while proliferation of Pay to Pay business model has its eyebrow raising questions, it just opens new avenues for disruption in the long term.

AmFreak

Which was the same way they did for PS1 and PS2 .
No it wasn't.
May 2014:
“From a profitability perspective, PS4 is also already contributing profit on a hardware unit basis, establishing a very different business framework from that of previous platform businesses," Hirai said.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/23/ps4-already-profitable-for-sony

Also if you think Sony came out with console last gen that was close to the 360 in price and timing they would have lost ?
That is crazy talk , they came out with console way more expensive ,16 plus month later in EU , worst performing games and still sold well vs 360.
I missed a comma in my sentence:
If a PS4-like console would have come out last gen, a year after the 360, they would have lost.
A low-end, non-subsidized p2p console with the burden of blu-ray launching 1 year after 360 wouldn't have stood a chance.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
MatPiscatella said:
This is incredibly dubious, if you're speaking of Console only.
I can't remember the link but there's a wiki tracking total number of releases 4 years in for current/last gen and PS4 was ahead(maybe totals for both platforms would show a different picture, I should have made it clear I was talking PS only above). Obviously the share of retail to digital has changed pretty dramatically - but that was obvious from day 1 on PS4.

And if you look at weekly PSN releases it's not very hard to believe - it's not quite as bad as Steam "yet" - but it's showing signs of similar growth trajectory.

donny2112

Ouya is an astounding success for an Android based platform. Sales this month were up 132z% compared to last month! Real momentum!

With Injustice doing so well, I wonder how Tekken will chart in June. We're in a Fighting Game renaissance, folks.

I think even if it charts well initially that game is going to have terrible legs.

Online issues + lack of tutorials in such a hard fighter to get into = lol

Seems the only thing they learned from SFV is that a trashy single player is better than none.

If you torture data enough, you can get it to say anything you want.

How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff. Dates back to the 50's, but still relevant.

I hope that those of you that are surprised/disappointed/angry about how companies use data (not speaking about you, Donny) go seek out materials like this book, and others such as Nate Silver's The Signal and the Noise.

These will help you be smarter consumers and citizens. It's important to be able to interpret what's being sold to you, whatever that product may be.

donny2112

You forgot Wii U, which was also a huge success*

*success is defined by astronomical drop from previous gen

Use "impact" instead.

"Wii U had a huge impact on Nintendo's sales position in the marketplace coming off the successful Wii platform launch!"

A crater is the result of an impact.

How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff. Dates back to the 50's, but still relevant.

I hope that those of you that are surprised/disappointed/angry about how companies use data (not speaking about you, Donny) go seek out materials like this book, and others such as Nate Silver's The Signal and the Noise.

These will help you be smarter consumers and citizens. It's important to be able to interpret what's being sold to you, whatever that product may be.

Oh, yeah. Being aware of exactly what's being said and not being said can really increase your awareness of what's actually happening. Not statistics related, but I recall an example from speech class where a political candidate gave a rather benign/slight praising speech on an opponent but used "big words" (e.g. masticate for chewing; "he masticates every night right at the dinner table.") that if you didn't know what they meant, all sounded really bad.

Edit:
Article on the apocryphal story. Doesn't mention the masticate line, but that may have been added by the speech book.

Top Bottom