• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NRA Remains Uncharacteristically Silent After Castile Verdict

Syriel

The National Rifle Association. Where they'll go to the mat for your gun rights,
if you're white
, but will ignore you
if you're black

The group's silence on the verdict is a pretty clear illustration of where the group draws its advocacy line. No member of the group can claim the moral high ground going forward if they're not going to defend law-abiding gun owners as a whole.

The organization had been quick to defend other gun owners who made national news. Castile had a valid permit for his firearm, reportedly told the officer about it to avoid a confrontation, and was fatally shot anyway after being told to hand over his license.

So some NRA members were furious when the organization released a tepid statement, more than a day after the shooting, that merely called it “troublesome” and promised that “the NRA will have more to say once all the facts are known.”

A year later, the investigation is over and many more facts are known. Police recordings and court records confirmed initial reports that Castile had tried to defuse the situation, assuring the officer that he wasn’t reaching for his weapon.

And the NRA still has nothing to say.

The chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus told the Associated Press that the jury had effectively told African Americans that “the Second Amendment does not apply to them.”

A writer for Slate also received no response from the NRA when he wrote about the officer’s acquittal, prompting him to write: “If Castile had been white instead of black, the NRA would have been rallying behind him and his family since the moment of his death, and fundraising off his memory for the rest of time.”

The National Review’s David French, for instance, once wrote that “it’s hard to recall a political movement built on more verifiable lies and misinformation than Black Lives Matter.”

But after the Yanez verdict, French’s opinion matched that of Black Lives Matter protesters. He wrote of the officer: “Whether he panicked because of race, simply because of the gun, or because of both, he still panicked, and he should have been held accountable.”

He added: “The jury’s verdict was a miscarriage of justice.”

Source:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/so...rdict-the-nra-is-silent/ar-BBCRbuX?li=BBmkt5R

They're a business. They don't give a fuck about anyone's rights.

Why push for any sort of legislative changes when you can just feed your lifetime members the same bullshit that they're telling themselves? It's easier to say 'the snowflakes in the government are coming to take your guns, continue the fight by giving us money!' than it is to actually try and make any sort of legal progress, especially when any legal progress means compromise.

My stance as a liberal gun owner is that the NRA is a cancer and needs to be dismantled.

The NRA would sooner be for harsher gun control laws if they discovered a rising trend of black people becoming legal gun owners.

Hypocrites. The whole lot of them.

BADMAN

NRA is a gun lobby pretending to be a rights activist. They have no interest in protecting rights; they just want to sell as many guns as possible.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The NRA is very much a white power movement. That's blatant and obvious. One can enjoy collecting and firing guns, without associating themselves with that cesspool of hatred.

Piggus

NRA is a gun lobby pretending to be a rights activist. They have no interest in protecting rights; they just want to sell as many guns as possible.

Well they kinda have to protect gun rights in order to achieve that goal. So it's even dumber that they won't say anything about this. The NRA really needs to stop pandering to racists and do their job, because shit like this is why I won't support them, even as a gun owner.

BADMAN

Well they kinda have to protect gun rights in order to achieve that goal. So it's even dumber that they won't say anything about this. The NRA really needs to stop pandering to racists and do their job, because shit like this is why I won't support them, even as a gun owner.

You're right that they should protect all gun owners but their rhetoric revolves around their members protecting themselves against "thugs" breaking into their homes. It would be against their interests to recognize black gun owners as people.

Or better yet we can just ban guns and drastically reduce the amount of racist dipshits that use them in conjuction with regular dipshits who use them. Two birds with one stone and whatnot.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Not sure why the NRA's opinion matters, it's not like they ever seem to care about human life.

They're pointing out the hypocrisy of their advocacy.

They're not really even pro 2nd amendment other than the fact it allows them to make $$$ from gun sales

Brinbe

No shit. It's transparent. They're all the part of the same conservative racist-ass movement along with the Fox News loving/pro-cop/blue lives matter people and that crowd. It's all cheerleading.

System is rigged and it's so rigged that you'll only be torn down by pointing that or trying to change it. Turns out, people like that privilege and the status quo.

Enzom21

Not sure why the NRA's opinion matters, it's not like they ever seem to care about human life.

It doesn't matter but you would think a organization that is rah rah second amendment would be outraged that a licensed gun owner was murdered for carrying a gun(but really, for being black).
No one is expecting the NRA to say anything though... especially when they distribute shit like this:
gangs.jpg

The NRA is a gun lobby that only really cares about white people buying more guns.

Koomaster

People saying he was doing everything right for being a responsible gun owner. But allegedly he was high at the time. I'm guessing that's why the NRA wasn't so quick to jump to his defense. Being on drugs is not something they want to be associated with when talking about gun owners.

Could be a racist thing as well, but I feel they definitely have an 'out' in this scenario because of drugs.

Bleepey

You don't understand, they offer discounts on bullets and shit. I am tempted to troll some black pro 2nd amendment you tubers who sucked at the NRA's teat. One YouTube at least started to see the light that they are not his friend which is quite the departure since he was talking his sedition fantasies and Sandy hook conspiracy theories. He got his wake up call.

BADMAN

Or better yet we can just ban guns and drastically reduce the amount of racist dipshits that use them in conjuction with regular dipshits who use them. Two birds with one stone and whatnot.

That's just not going to happen. First off the second amendment would need to be overturned, second the responsable gun owners and enthusiasts would be outraged by such an authoritarian act, third the black market would have more than enough guns in circulation to make that non viable. On top of that you can make 3d printed guns. It's a nice thought but it wouldn't solve any of our problems.

Steel

Banned
People saying he was doing everything right for being a responsible gun owner. But allegedly he was high at the time. I'm guessing that's why the NRA wasn't so quick to jump to his defense. Being on drugs is not something they want to be associated with when talking about gun owners.

Could be a racist thing as well, but I feel they definitely have an 'out' in this scenario because of drugs.

IIRC "drugs" in this case is just marijuana which... May as well get pissed off at drunk people with guns not doing anything aggressive.

IrishNinja

thing is, they're really following a strong template of "second amendment rights" advocates - look at how the original panthers got treated, NRA was pretty interesting during that era

No one is expecting the NRA to say anything though... especially when they distribute shit like this:
gangs.jpg

The NRA is a gun lobby that only really cares about white people buying more guns.

that's...pretty much what i'd expect from them, yeah

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still find it funny that the only time the NRA lobbied for more gun laws was when the Black Panthers decided to open carry in California. It just goes to show exactly what kind of group it is.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This seems to be an incredibly accurate characteristic of the NRA. Not sure what the article is talking about.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They're a business. They don't give a fuck about anyone's rights.

Why push for any sort of legislative changes when you can just feed your lifetime members the same bullshit that they're telling themselves? It's easier to say 'the snowflakes in the government are coming to take your guns, continue the fight by giving us money!' than it is to actually try and make any sort of legal progress, especially when any legal progress means compromise.

My stance as a liberal gun owner is that the NRA is a cancer and needs to be dismantled.

I agree with everything you said but the NRA was silent because Philando was black and NRA customers are mostly white.

dionysus

Yaldog
More likely that the NRA is too closely tied to police organizations, as well as the close ties between gun manufacturers, a big constituency of the NRA, and police organizations.

Socivol

Of course they won't say anything. Honestly if all minorities got together and decided to get guns then the gun laws would change very quickly.

About half of the NRAs operating fees come from manufacturers and the other half comes from members, so its not accurate to say it solely represents manufacturers. Its also broken up by its lobbying arm (a SuperPAC) which of course donates moneys to political candidates and lobbies in Washington, and its operating business which spends money on training programs, safety education, events, etc.

The NRA is tied very strongly to law enforcement, the hierarchy of their support is:

Gun manufacturers
rich white people
law enforcement (including black and hispanic cops)
corporations
white people
everyone else
government

Which, lets be honest, isn't that different from most lobbyists, corporations, etc.

One of the NRA's top TV personalities is Colion Noir by the way, a black guy. I don't know if he is a true believer or if its all a personality.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrColionNoir/videos

It doesn't matter but you would think a organization that is rah rah second amendment would be outraged that a licensed gun owner was murdered for carrying a gun(but really, for being black).
gangs.jpg

I used to be able to find a copy of that NRA mailer pretty easily, but now I'm having trouble. Any details on the source? There were a bunch of crazy pics in there IIRC.

Derwind

The NRA of all groups would never go to bat for anyone thats black.

Children being mowed down doesn't even make them blink. Think a legal black gun owner's murder for legally carrying is going to even register.

Fuck the NRA and every corrupt, racist peice of shit that supports them.

Not surprised at all by the silence. NRA is full of hardcore Christian conservatives who feel that their 2nd Amendment rights should be used as protection against "dangerous" minorities. But let a black man carry around a legal firearm with a permit, and every white person goes crazy while the man gets shot up for no reason.

remist

The verdict and the shooting are indefensible but carrying a gun under the influence is both illegal and extremely irresponsible. From what I have seen the NRA confines its advocacy to people lawfully carrying and that is not the case here.

SummitAve

Banned
I'm not that surprised. He was black, it was an officer involved shooting, and one of the main points of the case was that Castille was not carrying legally since he lied on his application form regarding marijuana use, and marijuana was in his system at the time of the shooting.

Top Bottom