• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Jinaar

Just got my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW.

I don't want to pay for 3DMark so I only did the Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

Here are my stats for 1920 and 2560:

bQz7AZn.gif

I think that is pretty good. I saw some Founder's editions being 300 points lower then what I posted. Either way, I launched Dark Souls III yesterday with full everything and it was jaw dropping at 2560 @ 60FPS.

Just installed THE WITCHER 3 again. Can't wait to delve back into that with this beast.

mhayze

Are the prices I'm seeing on Newegg inflated for the aftermarket cards? I read an article stating that regular MSRP is $599 or $699 (Founders). I'm seeing cards as high as $700 for an Asus Strix model.

I'm better off waiting for things to stabilize into normal MSRP, right? Or is this what I should expect from now on?

The manufacturers are pretty much making the full range of cards. There are a few that are priced right above the floor (e.g. $610 for a simple card using the reference board, standard clocks and a non-fancy single fan cooler design). These tend to never be in stock for now, but as soon as GPU allocations catch up, I can guarantee there will be plenty.

I still think newegg is charging a bit over MSRP in some cases. Being a bit frustrated at the potential gouging/ lack of stock situation, I kept an eye on prices via a price tracker when they were in stock, and noticed that newegg was pricing $10-60 more than some other retailers like amazon when they were being sold by the store. Both amazon and newegg allow 3rd parties to sell, so I'm not counting those - but that might be what you're seeing - markup from 3rd party sellers on the egg or amazon.

I eventually ordered from amazon when I happened to be at a pc in a free moment and miraculously one of the aftermarket cards I thought would be decent was actually available, and had a reasonable premium over the lowest possibly price due to a better cooler design and lower noise / thermals.

JoeMartin

I got my EVGA 1080 DT FTW yesterday, but only the memory was at stock clock speed, the core was set at 1872. It makes sense why this card fell into the DT bunch, the core runs stable at 2025, but I can only get the memory to 5200 before it starts crashing games.

paolo11

I got the PNY 1080 Founder's Edition. Such a beast of a card. It ran better than 980SLI on some games like Arkam Knight or AC Unity. I'll do a test run on Witcher 2 with Ubersampling.

fred

Oh well, I've gone and done it now lol. Have pulled the trigger on a Palit Super Jetstream. I was originally planning on getting a Zotac Amp Extreme but the stock situation of those cards is godawful.

My credit card company has put a block on my card for now but when I reply YES to the text message they're going to send me double checking that I've made the purchase the block will be lifted and I'll probably get it delivered on Wednesday morning. I quite like that my credit card company does that, even if it does delay my purchase. Safety first and all that.

Then it's time to pay off some of that money before I get myself a Rift in November. I'm like a kid at Christmas this year lol.

I know Mad Max doesn't really have the most advanced graphics in a game (no MSAA or HBAO for example) but I can easily play it at 'Max' and 4K and 60fps. It looks really good.

Chris R

So, I'm thinking I'll do a fresh format when I'm back from my trip.

No idea why the "Fast" setting for global vsync isn't sticking. I have to set it each and every single I boot. Performance isn't as good as I was expecting either, but I guess that might be more down to my 3770k

I know Mad Max doesn't really have the most advanced graphics in a game (no MSAA or HBAO for example) but I can easily play it at 'Max' and 4K and 60fps. It looks really good.

I could do that at 1440p with my R9 290. Incredibly well-optimized game, and very pretty despite not having all the bells and whistles.

fred

Woo hoo!!! I should be getting my 1080 tomorrow before 12!

Are the latest NVidia drivers okay..? If so then I'll download them now in preparation!

fred

Got my Super Jetstream today and everything is working great. It's boosting 100MHz or so over the boost clock on the box without me doing anything. Didn't go over 74C when doing the Fire Strike Ultra Stress Test either which is pretty good I reckon. And I got 98.1% efficiency too so my overclocked CPU and DDR4 are earning their keep lol

So what software is everyone using to overclock their 1080s..? Afterburner..?

fred

Cheers. Couldn't get much more out of it, it was boosting to 1945MHz out of the box anyway though lol. I've got it up 2025MHz which I'm happy with.

Just played Elite Dangerous with everything turned up to 11 and for the first time since I bought the game I've had no dropped frames in hyperspace. Noice!!!

Now begins a mad scrabble to pay off some of this newly accrued credit card debt before I get my Rift in November!

Newboi

This stinks, I was seriously about to bite on the Asus Strix GTX1080 OC on Amazon because it was available on Prime for $679, which was the lowest I've seen it. When I finally decide to add to cart, the stock was already gone lol. Resellers are selling it for well over $800. That's absurd. Is there some kind of alert feature for the amazon app that notifies you when a certain item becomes available for a somewhat reasonable price lol?

This stinks, I was seriously about to bite on the Asus Strix GTX1080 OC on Amazon because it was available on Prime for $679, which was the lowest I've seen it. When I finally decide to add to cart, the stock was already gone lol. Resellers are selling it for well over $800. That's absurd. Is there some kind of alert feature for the amazon app that notifies you when a certain item becomes available for a somewhat reasonable price lol?

No, but I think you can set up price alerts with sites like Camelcamelcamel.

Saganator

Ended up getting the EVGA 1080 Classified :) Haven't had a chance to really test it out but I will say it's super quiet for such a beastly card.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I remember when my old card would chug in crowded cities in WOW. The 1080 just laughs and laughs.
Define chugging. I still don't get a solid 60 FPS in crowded cities if the population is dense enough.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I'm a little bit disappointed. I have a EVGA 1080 SC with stock freq and a i7 6700k @ 4.4Ghz and i'm only hit 6050 in the Time Spy Benchmark.

A idea ?

Thanks a lot ;)

Maybe a little low, i got 6398 with a 1080/3770k combo. 16 gigs of ram.

Newboi

Just ordered the EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW. I'm look forward to putting it through its paces once it arrives (which won't be until next weekend....:cries:)!

Edit: What are you guys' recommendations on overclocking for this card? Would it be better to just increase the fan curve and power target and just let GPUBoost do its thing?

I got fed up with the stupid CPU+RAM bottleneck combo. I run my i7 4770k at 4.5GHz, and the RAM at 2133MHz (OC'd from 1866MHz) right now. I noticed much better performance in Fallout 4 (higher minimum fps). Seriously, I get 55-60fps around Corvega plant assembly. Swan's pond has drops to 48fps on ultra shadows but at very specific spots.

I will test other crappy games like GTA V and The Forest. Hopefully I can squeeze more out of my 1080; it pretty depressing to realize that I could have avoided this whole thing by buying that damn skylake motherboard+CPU back then.

MizzouRah

I'm a little bit disappointed. I have a EVGA 1080 SC with stock freq and a i7 6700k @ 4.4Ghz and i'm only hit 6050 in the Time Spy Benchmark.

A idea ?

Thanks a lot ;)

Yeah, that seems a little low. You should try a little overclock with OCX. I was able to get my Classified to 2100mhz core and 5400mhz memory without any voltage increase and got 7063 on Timespy with an i7 4790k

Newboi

I'm so hyped right now. My card is expected to arrive tomorrow! Any one else with an EVGA 1080 FTW have any tips on overclocking? Should I just up the power target and fan curve, and just let GPU Boost 3.0 do its thing? I've also been reading about the card actually performing worse with a memory overclock? Has anyone with here an EVGA card had lower performance with a memory overclock? Is it worth overclocking the memory at all?

I'm wondering what game I should try out first with my new card??? Decisions...Decisions lol. I'm hoping that my my Core i7-3770K doesn't severely bottleneck the 1080. I currently have it clocked at 4.4 Ghz.

I'm so hyped right now. My card is expected to arrive tomorrow! Any one else with an EVGA 1080 FTW have any tips on overclocking? Should I just up the power target and fan curve, and just let GPU Boost 3.0 do its thing? I've also been reading about the card actually performing worse with a memory overclock? Has anyone with here an EVGA card had lower performance with a memory overclock? Is it worth overclocking the memory at all?

I'm wondering what game I should try out first with my new card??? Decisions...Decisions lol. I'm hoping that my my Core i7-3770K doesn't severely bottleneck the 1080. I currently have it clocked at 4.4 Ghz.

I have a 1080 FTW with a 450MHZ+ memory offset. I am not sure if it affects performance and I don't want to test that, because my card started acting weird when the Overclock gets unstable: the screen turns black and the fans go apeshit. I do get drive crash sometimes, but that black screen thing kinda worried me.

You should increase the voltage percentage, power target to 120% and set the fan curve to whatever you like (max at 70% as a safe long-term max speed). If you want to push the overclock (assuming you have a good card that can boost beyond 2000MHz), you should get a waterblock. As for the Boost 3.0 or votlage/frequency curve, I am using MSI afterburner with a 45+MHz offset that is using linear mode on 1.081V or 1.093V (CTRL+click on a voltage point).

I get 2025-2060MHz in-game (usually stays at 2025MHz). I can boost further, but I get crashes and that stupid black screen. My card is average/decent, but nothing amazing. If the FTW had better fans and larger heatsinks, it would be a much better overclocker (it is silicon lottery mostly though).

As for your CPU, yes you will not fully use your GPU in certain games, especially if you are going for 100-144fps. You will not notice it if you game on 1440p AND use all the ridiculous graphics settings (high MSAA and hairworks). I doubt that there is any CPU+RAM combo that will not bottleneck a GTX 1080 right now on 1080p unless it is really super high-end CPU with 3000+MHz DDR4 RAM. My i7 4770k 4.5GHz and 2133MHz setup is okay; I get drops in GPU utilization (without CPU utilization maxing out) in Fallout 4, The Forest, GTA V and Assassin's creed Syndicate; any old game engine that doesn't have proper hyperthreading will push your CPU really hard.

You don't have to worry that much though; you won't get ridiculous drops in GPU utilization (they are subtle in most cases).

Soltype

If I remember correctly some people have said oc memory past +400 actually hurt performance.The best game to test your oc on is Witcher 3, it is really sensitive to unstable oc.

If I remember correctly some people have said oc memory past +400 actually hurt performance.The best game to test your oc on is Witcher 3, it is really sensitive to unstable oc.

The best test now for unstable OC is now 3DMark Time Spy Stress Test.

It made my 1080 explode when literally nothing else could, including The Witcher 3.

kuYuri

Just upgraded from a MSI 980 Ti Gaming to the Asus Strix 1080 (non-OC version unfortunately). Best part is that it was a free upgrade!

My results from 3DMark FireStrike. No overclocks, just default clocks out of the box, including on CPU. Does this look about right in terms of gains?

New drivers are out, ver. 372.54

Changelog:

Game Ready Drivers provide the best possible gaming experience for all major new releases, including Virtual Reality games.
Prior to a new title launching, our driver team is working up until the last minute to ensure every performance tweak and bug fix is included for the best gameplay on day-1.

Game Ready
Provides the optimal experience for No Man’s Sky, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Obduction, F1 2016, and the Open Beta for Paragon

Gaming Technology
Supports the new GeForce GTX 10-series GPUs powering the ultimate gaming notebooks

Link: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/105851

Newboi

My GTX 1080 FTW arrived today. I had to go back to my place during my lunch break to install it, register it, and update my drivers. It stinks though, I haven't had a chance to actually test anything since that all took longer than I thought.

I'm itching to get back and try out all of my games. I did manage to load up Geforce Experience however, and it was awesome to see the recommended settings shoot up from High and medium at 1080p for most games to DSR 4K with everything set to ultra!

When I finally get back home, I'll probably play around with running Doom on Vulkan downsampled from 4K with Nightware settings! I'm drooling already! I'll probably play around with OC'ing my card as well. I like JayzTwoCentz new video guide on overclocking pascal GPUs.

Quick question though, for those who have a 1080 FTW, was your card wrapped in plastic? I did notice that most reviewers' cards came with the top shroud covered in plastic. My card didn't have any plastic covering the fans or anything.

Chanser

My GTX 1080 FTW arrived today. I had to go back to my place during my lunch break to install it, register it, and update my drivers. It stinks though, I haven't had a chance to actually test anything since that all took longer than I thought.

I'm itching to get back and try out all of my games. I did manage to load up Geforce Experience however, and it was awesome to see the recommended settings shoot up from High and medium at 1080p for most games to DSR 4K with everything set to ultra!

When I finally get back home, I'll probably play around with running Doom on Vulkan downsampled from 4K with Nightware settings! I'm drooling already! I'll probably play around with OC'ing my card as well. I like JayzTwoCentz new video guide on overclocking pascal GPUs.

Quick question though, for those who have a 1080 FTW, was your card wrapped in plastic? I did notice that most reviewers' cards came with the top shroud covered in plastic. My card didn't have any plastic covering the fans or anything.

My card was covered in plastic, except the fans.

Newboi

My card was covered in plastic, except the fans.

Ok, that's definitely odd. I did notice that one of the seals on my EVGA box was already cut. I've seen multiple unboxings though and everything that's supposed to be there is there (the card was in the anti-static bag too). The rubber covers that are supposed to be on the PCEe slot and ports were there as well. I was expecting to have to pull off alot of plastic, but I there wasn't any.

I'll be testing my card out later tonight though. I hope it wasn't tampered with. I ordered my card from Amazon. The Amazong box the card was contained in looked like it wasn't opened and re-tapped either..

Edit: What temperature does your card Idle at? I noticed that my card was at 63C at one point while idle (Chrome was open). I did notice that the fans were barely spinning. I was using GPUz, so maybe the readings were just off.

Top Bottom