• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia just announced a handheld - releasing Q2 2013

1-D_FTW

This is horrible, looks like a tablet with two PS Move attached to it.

Didn't I just see it at CES for 999.99 too? No thanks. The Shield is perfect for what I want the device to do. I'm a bit worried about the price, but we'll see. Seems like 299.99 is absolute best case scenario.

Epic Drop

<$300 and I'll be there day 1.

I actually signed up for product notifications on the device's website... I haven't done that in ages. Tentatively sort-of hyped.

xemumanic

The more I look at this thing, the more I like it. Just swap the position of the D-pad and left analog stick, bring it at a good price ($300), and I'm sold.

joesiv

I wouldn't expect anything less than 400$, it will be a niche product.

Indeed, if you consider it has all the components of all high end android cellphones, how much are high end smart phones off contract? $500? $600?

Since they aren't going to get the same licensing fee's that MS/Sony/Nintendo are going to get off the software, and aren't in bed with any telco's since this doesn't seem to be a phone at the same time, I doubt they'll sell it at a loss.

They *may* get some money from the "the way it's meant to be played" certification, but given the mobile market has much smaller per unit revenue, I can't see that making up much difference. There is other long tail profit to be made from people buying related nvidia hardware such as videocards to get the PC streaming support, but I don't think they can rely on that making up for a huge loss leader.

In the end, I actually like the design, maybe not as thin as I'd like (DS fits in pocket nicely), but the flip screen actually makes the angle a lot more comfortable for gaming in different situations as opposed to devices that have buttons parallel to the screen (PSP/WiiU/Vita).

Battery life seems amazing, graphical power seems pretty good for a portable. Being android, obviously this marketplace gets leap frogged every generation (6-12mos), so this isn't really like a console where you invest and know you're safe for performance for 5-6 years... It'll play current top end android experiences, but in 3 years?

I wish it had a cellphone option, not so I could taco talk, but so I could use a bluTooth headset and leave it in my bag unless I'm actually gaming/watching.

It's neat, it's niche, it'll be expensive, but I kinda want one.

1-D_FTW

Indeed, if you consider it has all the components of all high end android cellphones, how much are high end smart phones off contract? $500? $600?

Since they aren't going to get the same licensing fee's that MS/Sony/Nintendo are going to get off the software, and aren't in bed with any telco's since this doesn't seem to be a phone at the same time, I doubt they'll sell it at a loss.

They *may* get some money from the "the way it's meant to be played" certification, but given the mobile market has much smaller per unit revenue, I can't see that making up much difference. There is other long tail profit to be made from people buying related nvidia hardware such as videocards to get the PC streaming support, but I don't think they can rely on that making up for a huge loss leader.

In the end, I actually like the design, maybe not as thin as I'd like (DS fits in pocket nicely), but the flip screen actually makes the angle a lot more comfortable for gaming in different situations as opposed to devices that have buttons parallel to the screen (PSP/WiiU/Vita).

Battery life seems amazing, graphical power seems pretty good for a portable. Being android, obviously this marketplace gets leap frogged every generation (6-12mos), so this isn't really like a console where you invest and know you're safe for performance for 5-6 years... It'll play current top end android experiences, but in 3 years?

I wish it had a cellphone option, not so I could taco talk, but so I could use a bluTooth headset and leave it in my bag unless I'm actually gaming/watching.

It's neat, it's niche, it'll be expensive, but I kinda want one.

Have you ever seen the oem cost on Tegra chips? They're cheap. And this is Nvidia buying their own chips. The LCD screen is 5 inches and 720p. That's also dirt cheap. This thing is not going to cost a lot to build. But, still, I think it's still best to set your hopes at 299.99. Can't see it any lower (although they certainly could sell at a profit for less).

Durante

This is not a top-end smartphone. It's much closer to an Android tablet, and as such they should be able to sell it at $300 if they want to.

I was really skeptical about this thing yesterday, but after sitting down and watching the conference, I find myself rather interested in it.

dead-trigger-2.jpeg

Trigger-Dead-2-is-officially-announced-for-Android-Using-The-Tegra-4-Chip-For-Stunning-Graphics-%25255BCES-2013%25255D%25255B6%25255D.jpg

PC games at home (and hopefully soon through the cloud) plus tegra 4 powered android games on the go (Arma Tactics, GTA 3 & Vice City, Hawken, etc) could make for a really fun device.

This coupled with the Ouya could help set a standard for offering controller options for upcoming Android games...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0MuXQwbTl0&feature=youtu.be

skip to 4:40 in that video and look at how nice Hawken looks in less than two weeks of optimization for the Tegra 4!

Top Bottom