• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA to Increase 12nm Production for Next-Gen Volta GPU

LordOfChaos

1-Node-positioning-ICK.png

I'll assume looking at this, TSMCs 12nm a half step from their 16nm, given that it's not represented in full node steps? I wonder if it'll even match Intels 14nm in size.

Node naming is such bull.

Edit: Yup
The reason we've put the word in quotes is because 12nm isn't really a new node at all. Here's how TSMC's CC Wei described it in TSMC's last quarterly conference call.

[O]ur strategy is continuously to improve every node in the performance, such as 28 nanometer. And are continuing to improve the 16 nanometers technology. And we have some very good progress, and you might call it the 12 nanometer because we're improve in the density, classical density, performance and power consumption. Yes, we have that.

Would have probably been called a + version of the same node in Intel parlance.

dr_rus

I've just never heard anyone saying this until you did yesterday. There's nothing on the roadmap after Volta, seems odd there'd be this new thing straight out of the left field that comes out in the next 6 without even a name.

Well, my own confidence in this slowly went from "no way" to "welp, it's happening" in the last month or so. Too many people are hinting on this lately. And there's plenty on the roadmap after Volta, NV just decided to not disclose it anymore prior to launch for some reason.

Well, my own confidence in this slowly went from "no way" to "welp, it's happening" in the last month or so. Too many people are hinting on this lately. And there's plenty on the roadmap after Volta, NV just decided to not disclose it anymore prior to launch for some reason.

Who has been hinting that Volta won't ever be commercial? Not saying you're wrong I just don't know where this is coming from.

dr_rus

Who has been hinting that Volta won't ever be commercial? Not saying you're wrong I just don't know where this is coming from.

The only public hint so far is in Fuad's June post.

1-Node-positioning-ICK.png

I'll assume looking at this, TSMCs 12nm a half step from their 16nm, given that it's not represented in full node steps? I wonder if it'll even match Intels 14nm in size.

Node naming is such bull.

Edit: Yup

Would have probably been called a + version of the same node in Intel parlance.

I think that 12FFN is not even the same as what TSMC's 12nm for other customers is. So far it looks like 12FFN is basically 16FF+ with some physical changes allowing to have a 815mm^2 GV100 to be produced on it.

AmyS

Wait, so Volta is coming to consumers / gamers afterall, even if it's early 2018 ?

Methinks Nvidia will have stripped Volta of the Tensor cores, upped the core clockspeed, redesigned the memory bus for GDDR6, tagged it with a new architecture name, but we'll still see Gx104 in GTX 1180 and Gx102 in GTX 1180 Ti / Titan. Overall the redesigned consumer Volta (or whatever its's called) won't be a major improvement over Pascal cards. The next big leap will have to wait until the 2019 architecture on 7nm.

dr_rus

Wait, so Volta is coming to consumers / gamers afterall, even if it's early 2018 ?

Methinks Nvidia will have stripped Volta of the Tensor cores, upped the core clockspeed, redesigned the memory bus for GDDR6, tagged it with a new architecture name, but we'll still see Gx104 in GTX 1180 and Gx102 in GTX 1180 Ti / Titan. Overall the redesigned consumer Volta (or whatever its's called) won't be a major improvement over Pascal cards. The next big leap will have to wait until the 2019 architecture on 7nm.

It's anyone's guess if what's coming to GeForces will in fact be based on Volta or Maxwell again but so far the hints are that it will be a bigger change than between Maxwell and Pascal at least.

And I do expect it to come next year on "12nm". 7nm for GPUs is likely some way off, end of 2019 probably. It also seems reasonable to expect bigger architectural changes on the same process (well, "12nm") than on a new process so whatever will come on 7nm first will probably be a "shrink" of what's coming next year.

I do wonder if the inevitable Switch refresh will have some kind of future Tegra variant on a new arch+node at a much lower power draw or whether it would have to keep maxwell for compatibility.

Better have a docked volta version in fall 2018 with 5001.21 gigaflops gpu and DDR5 memory at $399 US dollars ._.

jigowatt.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
There is no mobile Tegra with Pascal. The only Tegra which has Pascal is the one used for cars.
Tegra Parker (X2) basically is X1 made with Pascal arch... same config with better clocks and power draw.

So yes nVidia has the X1 Pascal version.

Nintendo choose X1 over X2 because the first was cheaper.

Tegra Parker (X2) basically is X1 made with Pascal arch... same config with better clocks and power draw.

So yes nVidia has the X1 Pascal version.

Nintendo choose X1 over X2 because the first was cheaper.

or maybe they had a bunch of 20nm laying around and wanted to get rid of it, and gave nintendo a discount price..

dr_rus

or maybe they had a bunch of 20nm laying around and wanted to get rid of it, and gave nintendo a discount price..

Yeah, because they just tend to make chips for shit and giggles, even when nobody is paying them for production. This theory was always a dumb one, now with the number of Switch units sold, it's beyond dumb one.

ethomaz

Banned
How? Do you think nVidia has enough chips lying on warehouses to supply Switch? C'mon... nVidia just increased and entered in mass production of X1 with Switch.

What happened is the more simple business... X1 was cheaper to Nintendo than X2.

Renekton

How? Do you think nVidia has enough chips lying on warehouses to supply Switch? C'mon... nVidia just increased and entered in mass production of X1 with Switch.

What happened is the more simple business... X1 was cheaper to Nintendo than X2.
The last rumor was Nvidia had a volume contract with TSMC and Nintendo was handy to fulfill it so they didn't have to pay some kind of penalty.

dr_rus

The last rumor was Nvidia had a volume contract with TSMC and Nintendo was handy to fulfill it so they didn't have to pay some kind of penalty.

While chip makers do sometimes book foundries in advance to make sure that whatever they are launching wouldn't be fighting for production resources, I find it very unlikely that this was the case with TX1 on 20nm. 20nm is a low volume process for TSMC and it's a minor node for NV as well. It's also highly unlikely that NV would book any capacity prior to having an idea on where this product will go to.

As I've said, a dumb theory. I believe it's SA who's spreading this?

Renekton

While chip makers do sometimes book foundries in advance to make sure that whatever they are launching wouldn't be fighting for production resources, I find it very unlikely that this was the case with TX1 on 20nm. 20nm is a low volume process for TSMC and it's a minor node for NV as well. It's also highly unlikely that NV would book any capacity prior to having an idea on where this product will go to.

As I've said, a dumb theory. I believe it's SA who's spreading this?
20nm was used for Apple A8 so I don't think it was a low volume process.

Soi-Fong

Once Volta and Coffee Lake release, I'm definitely gonna be building a new PC!

Gonna be able to finally replace my 980 Ti + 6700k computer and just relegate it to a streaming computer or something.

PFD

Once Volta and Coffee Lake release, I'm definitely gonna be building a new PC!

Gonna be able to finally replace my 980 Ti + 6700k computer and just relegate it to a streaming computer or something.

I mean, that's a perfectly good gaming PC you have there

Sanctuary

I'll be all over that 1180 Ti. That will probably be the first card to offer true native 4k/60fps Ultra settings in pretty much every modern game. I pretty much need it for CyberPunk 2077.

I'm guessing we'll see it about 12 months from now.

I actually assumed that timeline as well. I was even prepared for spring of 2019 too. Glad I decided that I didn't need to build another gaming PC (from Dec 2013) until the end of 2018 either, because it seems like next year will offer a lot of decent upgrades.

Lol some people man

lol. I currently have a Ryzen 7 1700 system just sitting and doing very little at the moment. Was going to be a work computer until work got anal about me building it and decided to finally pay for a new one for me (still waiting for it).

My gaming rig is a 6700k and 1070, so I haven't decided what to do with the 1700 build yet (currently has an old 760 I inherited).

riflen

It highlights to me how much this design is aimed at network training workloads and compute in general. A large part of this improvement over P100 has to surely be down to the addition of the tensor cores. Although V100 is also 35% bigger, heh.

Am I correct in thinking this SM contains 8 tensor cores and 32 FP64 cores and that these would likely not make it into a Geforce design?

dr_rus

Am I correct in thinking this SM contains 8 tensor cores and 32 FP64 cores and that these would likely not make it into a Geforce design?

Remains to be seen. What's interesting is that Volta doesn't seem to support FP16 (x2 or anyhow) on its main SIMDs which means that all FP16 operations must go through tensor cores. The repercussions of this for a gaming derived design can be substantial if this is partially the reason for 50% energy efficiency improvement. On the other hand, NV likes to keep some functionality in all GPUs for compatibility purposes so we may have something like 1 tensor core per SM or even GPC in gaming GPUs instead of having them 2 per each "subcore". In any case, I don't think that NV believes in usefulness of 16 bit math in gaming.

Sorry for the bump.

When do you guys think Volta is coming? I'm holding off on upgrading my PC and since Vega turned out to be a bust, I'm holding out for Volta.

Cool, thanks. Probably gonna be the first time I go for a "top of the line" rather than a mid-highish range card that I usually go for. Hope Volta delivers!

I just hope the damn ##60 card gets announced fairly early. I really doubt that the ##70 variant is going to be anywhere near as price compelling as the 970, so I feel like most people looking to upgrade would wind up with a ##60 if it matched or beat 1070 performance.

dr_rus

Sorry for the bump.

When do you guys think Volta is coming? I'm holding off on upgrading my PC and since Vega turned out to be a bust, I'm holding out for Volta.

Either around GDC'18 in early March or around GTC'18 which usually happen around May. My bet is on GDC at the moment. And it won't be called Volta.

Top Bottom