• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA unveils Cloud Based Indirect Lighting

ibeAOa2bZNz0ba.png

no thanks

Holy, that is a LOT of hardware to invest for a single player. It'd almost be more practical just to give everyone Titan cards. :p

Free Titans for everyone! Where do i sign up??

Cloud-based rendering would be really amazing for offline applications though, like professional rendering tasks. You could rent the Nvidia Cloud for $X/hr and it would render your scene for you. Professional GPUs cost incredible amounts of money, like thousands of dollars, so this would be a great tool for people who do that kind of thing for a living.

golem

Yes, this. It makes no sense to keep rendering servers up and running, for single player games that after six months only have 10K people playing at any given time. Especially if these ten thousand are distributed over a wide geographic area, and aren't paying a subscription.

I don't think you understand how cloud based virtualization works..

Additionally, I'm a little skeptical about certain aspects of this demo. Most of these scenes assumed 150ms latency, which is the absolute best real world scenario you could ask for. Even with a good connection however, its not uncommon for latency to rise to 500-600-700ms, or more during certain situations. Whats gonna happen to lighting under these scenarios?
Or even watched the video

Noogy

Not so sure why people get upset over the use of the word 'cloud' when it comes to computing? This is a regular thing in a number of production software suites, with legitimate benefits.

WolvenOne

Free Titans for everyone! Where do i sign up??

Cloud-based rendering would be really amazing for offline applications though, like professional rendering tasks. You could rent the Nvidia Cloud for $X/hr and it would render your scene for you. Professional GPUs cost incredible amounts of money, like thousands of dollars, so this would be a great tool for people who do that kind of thing for a living.

Agreed, it'd make a ton of sense to have a Cloud based rendering farm you could rent out on an hourly basis. Part of me wouldn't be surprised to learn somebody was already doing it actually, it just makes that much sense!

WolvenOne

I don't think you understand how cloud based virtualization works..

Or even watched the video

I watched about 2/3rds, the last third locked up on me for some reason.

Yes I know how Cloud based virtualization works. It still flipping costs money, even just to have Cloud Compute servers on standby.

Going to be a low of crow eating in the next year or two when cloud computing becomes a differentiator.

Just as the platforms mature and get better year over year, so will the cloud impact as devs become more comfortable with the tech and process.

Going to be a low of crow eating in the next year or two when cloud computing becomes a differentiator.

Just as the platforms mature and get better year over year, so will the cloud impact as devs become more comfortable with the tech and process.

This is pretty delusional. Sorry to be so brunt... but just look at the costs (HW and bandwidth) and the practical applications. It is completely impractical right now... and will be for quire some time.

Xbudz

Nice to see it demonstrated.
Looks good enough even in high latency situations.

I'm starting to believe in the cloud.

What about the other systems, like voxel one and the irradiance map. How much BW needed?

Highest number was 1.7Mb/s.
They had difficulty to model the big scenes.

But as far as i can see halo 4 uses it with forge already.
Halo 4 players will know from the calculating light maps pop up on forge maps matches.

And from the paper it seems they could still easily process this for up to 50 people now i can't say if it was for the rack or only one titan.

Except even if it did happen (which it probably still won't until internet gets a LOT better than it is currently), it wouldn't be a differentiator. The cloud is, unsurprisingly, not linked in any way to the local hardware, so PS4 can do it just as easily as X1, or a PC, or Steambox or whatever. In fact, a dev could in all likelihood use WindowsAzure in tandum PS4 if they wanted to, they just wouldn't get the break on server costs and X1 development apparently gets them.

golem

I watched about 2/3rds, the last third locked up on me for some reason.

Yes I know how Cloud based virtualization works. It still flipping costs money, even just to have Cloud Compute servers on standby.
Most cloud compute platforms only charge when instances are actually utilized. Developers spawn new instances as needed. They don't keep them idling on standby

This is pretty delusional. Sorry to be so brunt... but just look at the costs (HW and bandwidth) and the practical applications. It is completely impractical right now... and will be for quire some time.

For nvidia and independent devs, sure but for someone like MS who already has a large cloud infrastructure established, not so much.

Lynn616

What's your point? The video shows that it holds up very well under latency. Only at extreme latencies does it start to show signs of trouble.

Latency was what I was told was the biggest problem with Cloud computing. Seems that was wrong. It was cost all along.

For nvidia and independent devs, sure but for someone like MS who already has a large cloud infrastructure established, not so much.

Are you saying microsoft is going to invest 1,000 dollars plus per xb1 in server side support so 200ms lagging indirect lighting can be come a reality in a handful of games?

Yep... sounds very realistic

Do not forget that those Azure servers do not have Titans or equiv GPUs in them. Not at all.

CookTrain

Except even if it did happen (which it probably still won't until internet gets a LOT better than it is currently), it wouldn't be a differentiator. The cloud is, unsurprisingly, not linked in any way to the local hardware, so PS4 can do it just as easily as X1, or a PC, or Steambox or whatever. In fact, a dev could in all likelihood use WindowsAzure in tandum PS4 if they wanted to, they just wouldn't get the break on server costs and X1 development apparently gets them.

Then again, it might be the same as voice input on current gen. Developers could do it on the PS4 as well, but if MS is building the structure and the APIs for it, it might change adoption rates between the platforms.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The "cloud" is the latest optional console peripheral. How well have optional console peripherals done in the past?

glenn8

Banned
Upload isnt needed anyway.
But I was surprised to get 150, I thought 100 is my max lal. May explain the reason why I download 15mb/s instead of max 12mb/s
Was my provider secretly nice to me?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Are you saying microsoft is going to invest 1,000 dollars plus per xb1 in server side support so 200ms lagging indirect lighting can be come a reality in a handful of games?

Yep... sounds very realistic

That's not how it works. You don't have dedicated hardware for each user, not everyone is playing at the same time and the ones that are aren't all playing games that require cloud processing. That's the whole point of the cloud, having processing power available when needed for whatever application you need it for.

Even if this stuff isn't viable in the next couple of years people seem to forget how fast technology moves. When the 360 and PS3 were launched the iPhone didn't even exist yet.

WolvenOne

Most cloud compute platforms only charge when instances are actually utilized. Developers spawn new instances as needed. They don't keep them idling on standby

If I've read up on things correctly, while they don't keep servers idling, the servers still have to be ready to go. Which means that they either have to interrupt something else, or keep servers around unused. Either way, most contract would stipulate some sort of cost to the client for such a service, even when no computing is being done. Simply because keeping servers ready to go would be a cost to Microsoft, or Amazon, or any of the other companies that run Cloud Based virtualization services.

Even if that weren't the case, they'd still have to spend a fairly sizable amount of money on those 10K users, with no way to recoup it. So, no, without a subscription method of some sort, no game developer would do this.

Glix

Okay guys. Deep breath. Stop and read.

We are in a climate where publishers are pulling down their multiplayer servers for games that still have active communities. The biggest, richest companies do this, even for games that aren't dedicated servers and are just matchmaking servers.

And you people think that publishers will run these servers?!?! Really???

Its absolutely delusional to think that the pubs would spend extra money for this stuff, that takes a lot more overhead then multiplayer servers and won't even work for their entire userbase.

That claim above that in the next year realtime cloud stuff like this is going to be a big deal is not correct.

The cloud is good at the stuff it is already used for. Save games and the like.

That's not how it works. You don't have dedicated hardware for each user, not everyone is playing at the same time and the ones that are aren't all playing games that require cloud processing. That's the whole point of the cloud, having processing power available when needed for whatever application you need it for.

What happens on Halo launch day?

Even if this stuff isn't viable in the next couple of years people seem to forget how fast technology moves. When the 360 and PS3 were launched the iPhone didn't even exist yet.
You would have to have dedicated resources for each user, yes. For a game like CoD, that can average 10000+ players and peak at 20,000 or so, the investment would be gargantuan to support them.

Lighting (remember this is indirect) is really the easiest think to do, from there it gets really hard.

Also it's glitchy as hell... 200ms problems... Only used on simple models.

All this with a system using many titans and basic geometry as a showcase.

It's not ready.

Gaogaogao

We are in a climate where publishers are pulling down their multiplayer servers for games that still have active communities. The biggest, richest companies do this, even for games that aren't dedicated servers and are just matchmaking servers.

Its absolutely delusional to think that the pubs would spend extra money for this stuff, that takes a lot more overhead then multiplayer servers and won't even work for their entire userbase.

That claim above that in the next year realtime cloud stuff like this is going to be a big deal is not correct.

who are you talking to? no one assumes this will be put to use anytime soon. and if they do you can ignore them, its ok.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
You would have to have dedicated resources for each user, yes. For a game like CoD, that can average 10000+ players and peak at 20,000 or so, the investment would be gargantuan to support them.

No, I mean if there are 50 millions consoles you don't need 50 million dedicated Titans in the cloud.

WolvenOne

Bingo!

It'd be one thing if it was for a subscriber based MMO, or a F2P game that generates a lot of ongoing cash through ongoing transactions. These sorts of games are ongoing money makers, that more than pay for their server costs over time.

Even for these genres though, a lot of MMO's and F2P games fail. Adding this extra expense on top of things, just makes the failure all the more painful for the publisher. Conversely, with this added expense, the successes still wouldn't be nearly as sweet.

And for what? Most of these effects can be handled on PC's and the next gen consoles already. In 2-3 years, the hardware standards will be such that new GPU's will be able to handle these sorts of effects with tremendous ease.

So this is, what? A stop gap? A solution for casual gamers who don't want to invest in hardware? This does't seem like a particularly elegant solution in either case.

I think you could decrease the compute cost.
By keeping it only for the sun and maybe some stationary lights like torches in rooms.
Bullets,flashlight and particles i would ignore using them for GI.
But if you're only using GI for stationary lights, you might as well prebake them and avoid the cloud entirely. This is exactly the point: the cloud only helps if the lighting is dynamic, but this video shows some strong limitations (technical and economic) on that usage.

Of course cloud services are virtualized. But--at least currently--you need the equivalent of a Titan for each player. (Or a Titan and a Quadro, if you use the voxel solution!) So if you sell 1m copies of a game with this lighting, you'd need, say, the power of 750,000 Titans in the cloud; not everyone would play at once, but you have to prepare for a high-use scenario. Building this level of infrastructure quickly is very unlikely to happen. For consoles, why not just invest that money in making a more powerful local machine?

No, I mean if there are 50 millions consoles you don't need 50 million dedicated Titans in the cloud.
You're going to need them for every game that uses cloud processing though. CoD would be one game, think about how many people game on XBL at peak times. Currently it seems like MS is pimping its own Azure servers for this infinite power. Costs would be insane.

But if you're only using GI for stationary lights, you might as well prebake them and avoid the cloud entirely. This is exactly the point: the cloud only helps if the lighting is dynamic, but this video shows some strong limitations (technical and economic) on that usage.

Of course cloud services are virtualized. But--at least currently--you need the equivalent of a Titan for each player. (Or a Titan and a Quadro, if you use the voxel solution!) So if you sell 1m copies of a game with this lighting, you'd need, say, the power of 750,000 Titans in the cloud; not everyone would play at once, but you have to prepare for a high-use scenario. Building this level of infrastructure quickly is very unlikely to happen. For consoles, why not just invest that money in making a more powerful local machine?

What was i thinking :p
But from the sun alone should help with the lighting of the game.

Top Bottom