• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesFX

Neo Member
Don't think this was posted yet, but some additional commentary from Game Informer's Andy McNamara, who said he had a source that matched this concept of "no buttons". Not much new; he clarifies it was from a single source.

This was recorded before either source/picture was revealed as fake.
https://youtu.be/KoN7Ocogpxw?t=50m24s

NesFe

Haha, I love how the fake video turned into a technical video of how it was made.

Glad to know it was faked since I was on Team real, but was pretty upset with the design.

Kankki, think about all the poor employees at Nintendo who were tearing their hair out over this, you shortened some poor dude's life by ten years from the reaming he was getting from his/her boss.

I cannot sanction this buffoonery

good job bruh

BigAT

tumblr_mk2y7kFbQz1s99m4bo1_500.gif

choodi

Banned
Please tell me someone has been keeping a list of all the so-called 'insiders' and we are going to have a wall of shame up in the OP soon!

Meaning going to not even give it a chance unless it haves them.
It's like initial reactions to motion controls.

Patent has buttons in the back so NX will most likely have them.

You know that most people alreay tried touch buttons, do you?

I won't give them a chance, my experience with virtual buttons taught me they are shit for most of games. I can't imagine playing monster hunter, bayonetta, Mario, any 2D platformers, any racers with virtual buttons.

So no, this isn't unhealthy love at all.

People don't have to speculate how touchscreens feel, everyone already knows. You don't have to give it a chance in order to know if you like it better or worse than phyiscal buttons.

To be honest, I don't remember who implied it was real presuming to be an insider. Rosti wasn't, he clarified in the first thread and in the second one...it was more like WE were assuming his clarification was a hint towards this being real in the first thread.
ShockingAlberto just said he "heard" someone saying it was real. The guy from CIG I suppose was just having fun at this point lol

Also, do we really want the man who made the fake banned? Guys, he literally highlighted the insanity of gaming forums. There were people who thought they guessed correctly the location of the building BY A REFLECTION OF A TREE ON THE SUPPORT OF THE TV SCREEN. DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW MENTALLY INSTABLE IS THIS?!? :lol

He deserves to be a mod, an admin, to get a golden statue at the entrance of Evilore's house, or just something to remember him as what he really is: the hero we needed and deserved.

I don't think the person who made the fake should be banned. It's pretty funny, and it's not as if he posted it on GAF himself and claimed it was real. Just, I'm seeing reactions from people suggesting that there were insiders in the thread that suggested it was real. If that was the case, surely that's ban worthy?

If not then cool. I missed out on a lot of this thread due to work.

Taker666

Hopefully Nintendo will see our insanity about face buttons and make sure they are present. Pretty please.

Despite the hate here....I don't know if the real NX really needs face buttons, as long as it has two trigger buttons as well as scroll wheels ....and provided it's a handheld as opposed to a controller for a home console.

As long as long as there are physical triggers/wheels for primary inputs (like jump/shoot etc), I don't see why secondary inputs being touch screen based should be a big deal if it's for a device that you're constantly looking at.

Having a touch screen button for things you only use now and again (like a map, a grenade,a radar, a taunt or options) just doesn't seem much of an issue to me for a handheld device. It's only for inputs that you use constantly that physical buttons are really needed IMO.

Several things pointed to it being fake though it was made well enough to be "worrisome" but when Corey from the Treehouse retweeted the leak reveal thread, I knew it didn't add up.

Teletraan1

Banned
What was their touch? NES and SNES?

They never had a touch. Every one of their systems outside of the NES (which still had issues with the slot loading system that lead to people blowing into carts lol) had some sort of design decision that third parties complained about. They make themselves outliers with their design decisions. SNES Slow CPU that had to be band aided with co processors in carts. N64 was still on Carts when the industry moved on to optical media. GC was on lower density optical media and the industry moved on to DVD, Wii was a generation behind. WiiU was a half a generation behind with a Gamepad that hamstringed their ability to reduce the price and was released just as developers were transitioning to current gen. They have had some controller design wins but their consoles are designed very much for their needs only. Their software is leaps and bounds better than any of the other platform holders. It always should have been the differentiator. A PS4 level machine with a classic controller and their games would be bought by me in a heartbeat.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Several things pointed to it being fake though it was made well enough to be "worrisome" but when Corey from the Treehouse retweeted the leak reveal thread, I knew it didn't add up.

That still doesn't make sense. Like it still doesn't make sense why anybody from Nintendo would be up in arms about this fake.

Patent has buttons in the back so NX will most likely have them.
Most of us have smart phones, so it's not like the concept of virtual buttons is new.

Many of us opposed to this saw the glaring issues with virtual buttons on a controller (things like not looking at the controller during gameplay, inherent costs, or the fact that the epic amazing haptic tech that everyone speculated about doesn't exist in consumer products).

There's nothing unhealthy about wanting something familiar. In fact, attempting to shame people for not wanting what appeared to be a terrible product (poor form factor, limited utility of additional screen space that may or may not be covered by thumbs, the fact that virtual buttons solves a problem almost no one in the gaming space has (oh too many buttons, we neeed custom buttons.... why?), reliance on nonexistent haptic tech to even make the thing usable that would still have major shortcomings in usability for TV gaming, etc) just because it's new or because it's "Nintendo magic" is what I'd label "unhealthy".

When something new comes along, it needs to be compelling enough to get people to try it.

Before the "leaks" are debunked, this thread has already destined to enter GAF history.

Now this thread is even better after those videos show up. Amazing work.

The legacy of this thread probably means there are going to be more NX "leaks" in the foreseeable future.

Akai__

I made this fake. Let's see if I just got myself banned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_B65J86D_8

You got me there. Really good job, which shows me that I shouldn't believe any Leaks from sources that are not well known as leakers. Especially in this in this day and age, where it's seemingly so easy to 3D print things like this and put some glass on it. I was fascinated by both the 3D printer and the Laser Cutter. This is also the 1st time I have seen a Laser Cutter in action, so this is some impressive stuff.

Good job dude.

Quickly made a gif of your other video, which is now fitting:

GUySr6h.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I didn't read it as him being "up in arms" at all. Moreso he got a kick out of it and was amused. No way he brings light to it if he knows or thinks it's legitimate.

I'm talking about 2 different things. One was the RT, which doesn't make sense without any comment (it wasn't that obviously funny to retweet it like you would do with some funny picture or video). It wasn't amusing per se. And most of his followers are not aware of what NX is, to make this some kind of an internal joke.

The second one was Rösti's comments about people at Nintendo getting nervous about these leaks. Which again doesn't make too much sense unless this fake is somehow vaguely close to the real one.

I'm talking about 2 different things. One was the RT, which doesn't make sense without any comment (it wasn't that obviously funny to retweet it like you would do with some funny picture or video). It wasn't amusing per se. And most of his followers are not aware of what NX is, to make this some kind of an internal joke.

The second one was Rösti's comments about people at Nintendo getting nervous about these leaks. Which again doesn't make too much sense unless this fake is somehow vaguely close to the real one.

Yup, I think there is some king of truth in all this. After all these posts of releif I can't imagine the shit storm if the real is not that different from the fake.

Peru

Now that the fake is confirmed it's time to reflect on what the mock-up told us. Personally it tells me that a screen enveloping the entire surface adds cool gadget appeal. There will be a limited use for it, like the 'edge' in Samsung's Galaxy phones, but mostly it will make it look appealing when visuals flow across it.

VariantX

That still doesn't make sense. Like it still doesn't make sense why anybody from Nintendo would be up in arms about this fake.

As long as its nothing real, I fail to see where nintendo would give a shit. If it was real, the ninjas and lawyers would have been both unleashed like a tsunami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom