• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... no buttons, touch screen interface?

There'd be at least four buttons: the two sticks will double as buttons, and the shoulder scroll wheels will likely be clickable like buttons. I'm guessing they imagine that "most games" can be more or less accommodated with just these inputs (letting them simplify the interface for those games), and for actions that can't be accommodated they've got a haptic touch button option that can mimic traditional controls.

I'd imagine they've overcome some of the major hurdles that have kept them from using touch technology to replace buttons in the past (in particular, that they've hit on a haptic technology that provides the right amount of feedback), or they wouldn't be bothering to try to implement it now.

I'll put it this way:

2D Mario games generally only use two buttons: jump and run/power-up. Those can both be mapped to clickable sticks on the face (we'll call them LS and RS). Done.

Left analog: Move
LS: Power-up
RS: Jump

Zelda games generally use buttons for performing actions (talk, pick up, etc.), attacking (sword), using items, targeting enemies, and using a shield. Actions are generally context-sensitive, and often aren't timing-sensitive. Those can be mapped to a tap on the screen. Players can press the right stick to swing their sword, and the left stick to use an item. The left trigger could still be target, and the right trigger could be shield. The scroll wheels would let people cycle through their inventory easily. And of course the second screen could be used for things like map display while playing on the TV.

Right analog: Camera
LS: Use equipped item
RS: Swing sword
L button: Target
R button: Shield
One of the two scroll wheels: Cycle items
Other scroll wheel: Cycle weapons (?)
Tap screen: Talk/pick up/throw/etc.

Not too bad, right?

Metroid (we'll say Prime)

Right analog: Aim
LS: Morph Ball
L button: Target/Scan
R button: Fire
L scroll wheel: Select visor
R scroll wheel: Select weapon

It's really not hard to see how most traditional Nintendo franchises could easily adapt the interface we've seen.

MK_768

Rösti;199021806 said:
On these series of fundamental issues that have already been set in motion, progress quickly is being made to prevent and combat further harmful scenarios. This struggling desire some house to have this information emerge I am not in favor of. Experiencing an executive deficit should not warrant illicit actions under a veil of ignorance. The remedy patience and determination, not drawing premature exposure. Goals should be shared.

Guessing this means Nintendo is trying even harder to batten down the hatches.

But what else can they do? Send the Yakuza after leakers lol.

Simbabbad

Maybe it's all a master plan.

1) "Leak" controller without buttons.

2) Everybody freaks out.

3) Finally reveal the actual controller does have buttons.

4) Everybody's relieved, and nobody notices it's the Wii U controller again.

I feel like people are way overestimating what haptic feedback is actually like. It doesn't feel like pressing a button at all, and you can't sense ridges or anything like that.

Again, the OP says that it will work like Apple's tactic feature. Have you ever used an iPhone 6S? It's not a replacement for the reference point you get from physical buttons and that you need for blind use.

I'll be honest, I haven't. But even if what you say is true for Apple's haptic feed back, the fact that it's "like" it doesn't necessarily imply that it's exactly the same, but just that it's the easiest and most familiar comparison they have. I do believe theoretically that haptic feedback should be able to provide reference points as long as you keep your fingers over the screen and on the button, but don't apply pressure.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
No buttons or d-pad? Looks absolutely awful. Shame, since a handheld that doubles as a console would be really useful for me.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Oh god...

OH GOD!!!

Didn't the leaks say Smash 4 NX was happening?

Whatever the controller is, it will work with those kinds of games. Nintendo would not make a controller that made their biggest games unplayable or needing to be massively watered down.

Hmm no, not doing anything for me

Gstting a bit tired of Nintendo "trying something different", the Wii and Wii U didn't offer anything better than I got elsewhere

That controller looks awful imho

Jezbollah

Nothing appeals more than a unergonomic controller that probably costs a fortune for spares/replacements.

I really hope this is not the final design - if it is, it's almost as if they never learned some of the reasons why the Wii U never sold well.

jonno394

I think the gameplay area would still be rectangular...if it extended, then that would be for on-screen UI/buttons not for game action

Yup, i'm going for

- Controllers is one big screen
- game is in a rectangle in the middle
- buttons appear around sticks so within reach of your thumnbs
- area buttons is displayed on is black

Therefore you get no image obstructed by the sticks or buttons/your thumb or fingers and a likely customisable layout for the virtual buttons

lQaOiVTl

lol Nintendo has already sent lawyers to this building.

lol nobody is safe online, anyone can be found D:

caughtttttttttt

Pineapple

One thing I don't understand - even if this thing had physical buttons, why would Nintendo put a screen in the controller for their new console, given the lack of functionality the Wii U's controller provided for most of their top games?

Why replicate paradigms that failed in your last console?

dickroach

Rinさとり;199022034 said:
Steam controller has touch pads with haptic feedback and its the best controller i have ever owned~ Just leaving that here

the same Steam controller with 4 triggers, 4 face buttons, 2 back paddles? yeah, I love that thing.

MogCakes

I hope there are buttons or some kind of pressable thing on the back. Not having to move my thumbs off the nubs would be nice. But that screen real estate around them suggests the buttons will be virtual.

Taker666

Despite what the leaker says..I have a hard time believing this is just the controller for a new home console.

I just find it hard to believe that Nintendo would copy the exact "stream image to the controller" concept of the Wii U.

My gut says this is the handheld...but is also doubling up as a controller for their next home console at present....

...either that or it truly is a hybrid system after all.

Z3M0G

Personally I'm excited by it. Especially for on-the-go gaming.

But I see 3rd parties staying away... Imagine playing Call of Duty with touch buttons.

KingBroly

Banned
We don't know how Nintendo have implemented this technology.

All I know is they wouldn't release a controller that made games harder to play, that is not how they work. If they are happy with the design then it means Super Mario Bros et al can be played comfortably and without a loss of control. They wouldn't proceed otherwise, they are about making games easier to play not harder.

If buttons pop up out of the screen...that's Wii like magic people are gonna go 'no fucking way that works' and when they try it they'll go 'wow. How the fuck'd they do that?'

billeh

The rage on GAF could be a good sign for Nintendo. Most here are in the Playstation/Xbone camp anyway.

As long as the non gamer crowd sees something in this. (which based on this I kinda doubt)
I'm in the PC/Wii U camp and touch controls are in no way a substitute for regular old buttons. Honestly, the best part of the PS4/XB1 are their controllers.

Everyone should probably chill out with the kneejerk reactions until Nintendo explains how it's supposed to work.

Who am I kidding, this is the internet.

I'll put it this way:

2D Mario games generally only use two buttons: jump and run/power-up. Those can both be mapped to clickable sticks on the face (we'll call them LS and RS). Done.

LS: Power-up
I do believe I just threw up a little. Let me go check.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder if Nintendo will try to get away with another sub-hd screen again.

Neoxon

I guess the Zelda U port would make more sense, now. Nintendo won't have to sacrifice any of the touchscreen-based features of the game with this controller. Plus it would be easier to bring the likes of Splatoon & Super Mario Maker to the NX Platform.

TheJoRu

I mean...it looks good, aesthetically, but the design...what is the point of a screen of that form? I guess we'll find out eventually.

Also, how dumb can one be to post a picture where you also show a Macbook with a Swedish keyboard? Nintendo can probably count the possible studios on one hand, especially if not all dev kits are of the same colour (the previous controller pic was of a white one).

hwy_61

Banned
One thing I don't understand - even if this thing had physical buttons, why would Nintendo put a screen in the controller for their new console, given the lack of functionality the Wii U's controller provided for most of their top games?

Why replicate paradigms that failed in your last console?

This touch screen looks closer to what phones use, which is way better than the Wii U touch screen. That will make a huge difference.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe we should wait for Nintendo to present the platform before we doom say...

I'm as worried as you all, but come on. Saying that they're screwed due to this is horribly short sighted. People said the same of the Wii. If there's any company that can make crazy shit like this work, it's Nintendo.
How dare you suggest being rational on the internet? Onwards we go, to 10k posts.

Imagine Mario Kart and Smash with no buttons...

I was thinking the same.

In a Mario game, you need to hold B to run and press A to jump in many levels. It's basic. how can you do this on a haptic screen?

I'm perfectly okay with it for 3D games, but it might not be that great for 2D platformers or 2D games that require fast inputs.

But, for example, the next Zelda would be great on it I believe.

It's two generations already that Nintendo put out one or even more (GC smash controller) alternative joypads for its console. NX will be no different.

Seanlole

i liked the controller, if this has that haptic feature i'd really want to know how it will work: a fixed layout or it will depend on the developer?

also yes: this is something only nintendo could make for their mandatory controller (don't forget they'll show wii u gamepad, wii u controller and anything else compability for backwards compability for wii and wii u games)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
We don't know how Nintendo have implemented this technology.

Apparently we know that it is like Apple's tactic. Everyone can try to find an iPhone 6S and try that feature out.

All I know is they wouldn't release a controller that made games harder to play, that is not how they work. If they are happy with the design then it means Super Mario Bros et al can be played comfortably and without a loss of control. They wouldn't proceed otherwise, they are about making games easier to play not harder.

They made the Wii remote controller without giving a damn that it was not compatible with what the majority of games had evolved into. All you can say is that Nintendo will make a few games that work well with the controller. Not that the controller will be a great general control device.

I remain open, but there is ample reason to be skeptic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom