• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Lump

Banned
Those got out of control. And when some things got debunked in the least negative way possible that it sounds still very good, everyone freaked out because of their speculation bubble burst.

So far the only concrete thing we have is that the CPU is better than the Xbox One's (which is better than the PS4's). And it was said by a person who has legitimate credentials of leaking many of Nintendo's CPUs with great accuracy.

The thread he's talking about didn't exist. There was never a thread saying NX was more powerful than PS4K (what he's saying). There was a leak from LCGeek about the NX CPU being better than PS4, that was it.

I don't believe that rumor, and even if it's true there's now enough time for it to be downgraded before release.

It was a pretty solid leak, fwiw.

Nanashrew

Banned
The thread he's talking about didn't exist. There was never a thread saying NX was more powerful than PS4K (what he's saying). There was a strong rumour about the NX CPU being better than PS4, that was it.

Ah my mistake then. I'm sleepy and been up all night. I think I'm going to bed though it's noon now. Stuff can get so heated and keeps you awake, man! I need to stop that.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've mentioned it many times in the NX speculation threads. Nintendo would be stupid to release it in 2016 with how stiff the competition is. This... doesn't seem much better though.

The competition isn't going to get easier. It's damn tough to launch a console mid generation when other companies already have a big segment of the market. Even more so with this iterative future where people who haven't jumped on board yet are probably more likely to grab a PS Neo or Xbox 1.5 with their big existing libraries than a new console.

More powerful than the PS4 but I hardly ever see anyone saying it'll be more powerful than the Neo. It's CPU will be though.

There were several people (mostly fanboys) saying/speculating that the Neo and Xbox 1.5 where a thing as Sony/MS were scared of how powerful the NX was/is going to be.

But I don't think many took it as more than Ninty fanboy ramblings.

Bgamer90

Banned
FTFY. Perhaps they won't get Madden '17 but they'll get Madden '18 when it releases?

I definitely think EA will at least try Madden 18 on the NX but I don't think it's going to do well.

If you have nothing to attract a userbase at launch then you are going to face an uphill battle to try and attract them months/years later. Especially in a genre like sports gaming in which people constantly move from one version to the next and are greatly influenced by what systems their friends are playing on to play with them online.

HMD

I don't think the NX is a traditional console, they tried that with the Gamecube and the WiiU sort of and they weren't as successful. Maybe they're going with the 'cool toy' marketing style of the Wii. Which would explain why they're not treating it as a traditional console with the E3 reveal and all that... Or maybe Nintendo is doomed.

StoopKid

i'm waking up and seeing this thrown around and i'm baffled why this is even being discussed at all. I can understand questioning who is buying a new console in March in droves but when was Madden ever a game people bought a Nintendo system for? It's beyond apparent Zelda is what Nintendo is banking on people buying the NX for. For whatever reason they cannot release NX this holiday, maybe they know Sony and MS are both releasing their .5 systems, or PSVR this holiday and don't want to compete with them and they for some reason think they will do better in March. If the rumor is true most or all third parties sound like they don't even have dev kits or at least not final ones, if thats true it seems like Nintendo isn't changing at all with their attitude towards third parties. Maybe they need more time to develop a couple more games of their own for launch or some remasters. Either way third parties have never been and will never be part of their plans.

I'm just using madden as third party support in general.
I thought the whole point of nx is to get the third party support back? If they don't your looking at another wii u situation.

F3Ph2Zm.jpg

phanphare

Banned
The problem with this premise is that EA and Activision still have a significant presence at the event. Yes, neither of them are officially partaking in the floor space offered by the ESA, but Activision will have stage time at somebody else's conference, and EA will be in town taking advantage of the media buzz. E3™ as a brand may be declining in relevance, but this is still the one time of the year when all eyes are on the video game industry. And Nintendo doesn't seem to care.

Honwstly, I'd find these arguments about Nintendo's strategy more compelling if they were showing themselves to be anything other than inept when it comes to marketing their home consoles.

literally all I was saying. E3 is still quite relevant but that relevancy is waning.

Atheerios

So... How would you feel if NX was the final name? So far every time they mentioned the project it was explicitly referred as a codename, but yesterday on Twitter Nintendo said NX multiple times (even with a hashtag) and didn't care to say it was a codename.

This makes me this they are gonna do the same thing that they did with Nintendo 3DS and the initial temporary name ended up being final one.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anything to read into this quote:

Respected Japanese paper Nikkei asked Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima what kind of game machine the NX was. “At this current stage, I’m not able to say,” Kimishima replied. “However, it’s not merely the successor to the handheld 3DS or stationary console Wii U. This will be hardware that’s been made with a new way of thinking. I’d like to announce more particulars regarding its specs and how it works another time this year.”

I know Iwata said repeatedly that it wouldn't be a hybrid, but things have changed with his passing and that quote sounds hybrid-esque. Not "merely" a "handheld" OR "stationary console."

Sucks we have to wait so long to even no what the NX hardware is in general.

Nanashrew

Banned
I definitely think EA will at least try Madden 18 on the NX but I don't think it's going to do well.

If you have nothing to attract a userbase at launch then you are going to face an uphill battle to try and attract them months/years later. Especially in a genre like sports gaming in which people constantly move from one version to the next and are greatly influenced by what systems their friends are playing on to play with them online.

This is true. Nintendo needs sports titles on their system and they need them to sell. It is an important genre and without them you're missing a large chunk of people buying your system. I don't care if Nintendo has to make their own by rebranding their ancient sports titles for a more modern age, they need sports titles.

Anyway, I'm going to go pass out in bed. Cya'll later!

Red Devil

I mean like by the time Madden '18 I guess it could get a NX version, by then NX would be a few months old.

If the rumor is true most or all third parties sound like they don't even have dev kits or at least not final ones, if thats true it seems like Nintendo isn't changing at all with their attitude towards third parties. Maybe they need more time to develop a couple more games of their own for launch or some remasters. Either way third parties have never been and will never be part of their plans.

What rumor?

Compsiox

Banned
Nintendo, stop being different when it comes to releasing hardware. Release it closer to the holiday season. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hip Hop

I don't see why skipping E3 is a thing, what does that have to do with the delay.

Surely, they have to be ready to show it by that point, with only a few months to go before launch.

E3 is gonna be such a bore. ):
I hope the NX reveal will be super hardcore then. E3 is pretty much the one time where all eyes are on the big three regardless of which platform people prefer.

i'm waking up and seeing this thrown around and i'm baffled why this is even being discussed at all. I can understand questioning who is buying a new console in March in droves but when was Madden ever a game people bought a Nintendo system for? It's beyond apparent Zelda is what Nintendo is banking on people buying the NX for. For whatever reason they cannot release NX this holiday, maybe they know Sony and MS are both releasing their .5 systems, or PSVR this holiday and don't want to compete with them and they for some reason think they will do better in March. If the rumor is true most or all third parties sound like they don't even have dev kits or at least not final ones, if thats true it seems like Nintendo isn't changing at all with their attitude towards third parties. Maybe they need more time to develop a couple more games of their own for launch or some remasters. Either way third parties have never been and will never be part of their plans.

If they are banking on Zelda to be the game people get NX for, why are they dedicating nearly their entire E3 plans to showing off the Wii U version?

Is there anything to read into this quote:

Respected Japanese paper Nikkei asked Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima what kind of game machine the NX was. “At this current stage, I’m not able to say,” Kimishima replied. “However, it’s not merely the successor to the handheld 3DS or stationary console Wii U. This will be hardware that’s been made with a new way of thinking. I’d like to announce more particulars regarding its specs and how it works another time this year.”

I know Iwata said repeatedly that it wouldn't be a hybrid, but things have changed with his passing and that quote sounds hybrid-esque. Not "merely" a "handheld" OR "stationary console."

Sucks we have to wait so long to even no what the NX hardware is in general.

What is he even saying? What the fuck is it then? A magical jewel? I'm so confused.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm beginning to think that the the "super strict NDA" thing might just be "hardly anyone has any freaking dev kits" or something... H

Naaaaah. Or better, the super strict NDAs don't mean that dev kits are everywhere, one doesn't negate the other. But the super strict NDAs are true, and...there are dev kits/SDKs out there, otherwise we wouldn't have heard rumours about Namco games (including Smash), "key partners" getting kits earlier with broader distribution slated later, games in beta earlier this year with an NX sku coming. We need to see when the distribution will spread, if anyone will live enough to tell us before ninjas getting him/her.

Actually, it seems Emily Rogers is aware of some third party projects as well, as she tweeted today.

More games.
Last time I checked the 3DS didn't launch setting the world on fire either.

3DS launch was marred by price and games availability, yes, but a lot of that game availability was offset by the DS still getting lots of great support by third parties.

Handheld launches don't really need a glut of titles, just a few big titles and you're fine. Attachment rates for handhelds are far lower than console, and I'm sure some of that mobile/digital content will get a big push on NX at launch, covering their bases. The 3DS still performed 'fine' for what it was, but yeah the sales were (and still are) dismal compared to its predecessor/s. It still isn't setting the world on fire.

LAA

Sadly thought this would be the case. I don't think Nintendo will ever get their "A game" back, because they just don't understand the console market anymore and don't compete.
To me at this point, it's better for me if NX bombs, and it probably will. Them being 3rd party seems more attractive to me at this point. They should just focus on what they're good at.
Only sad thing is handhelds may die if Nintendo leaves the console space,but I would think Sony would tap into that.

Just the Wii U having a 4 year gen, just not good enough and I don't think it would help them when the mass audience sees that and Nintendo expect them to jump to NX? Nintendo just don't deserve a free pass, I feel they need a "we're back" moment, but I don't think they will, they probably couldn't, I can't see 3rd parties being close to them like they are with PS and Xbox now.

I wasn't expecting anything much and I'm still disappointed. Well, that and stupefied.

I can take the NX being delayed to 2017, but man, no new information until late 2016 (not even anything about it at E3?), Zelda U being delayed, Zelda U being the only playable game at their E3 booth? Everything just reads as a complete bummer and makes me wonder what on earth is going on with the company.

One would think and expect, based on these decisions, that Zelda U and especially NX are be two grandiose masterpieces in the making that will hit every note dead-on and exceed expectations with flying colors. The bit on NX "not replacing" the 3DS and Wii U and being "a brand new concept" isn't really grabbing my enthusiasm either, going by how the past years has turned out.

Everything about this news just reads me as an extremely incoherent direction and implies some really messy problems behind the scenes. Hopefully the new restructure can turn things around, but starting out with this bit of news isn't instilling in me any confidence.

KevinCow

Banned
No NX at E3? What the fuck. Yes, let's not reveal our next major console, which our company will pretty much live or die by the success of, at the biggest video game event of the year. That makes a lot of sense.

Malus

I would at least like to know the date for when they plan to fully reveal the NX. For all I know it's December 31st.

Jeez...well. The wait continues. When it's here it's here.

I'm just glad (again) that it's not holiday 2017. At least not yet >_>

megalowho

What do you expect from fanboys?

And I use the term fanboy in the most neutral way here. But that's how it is, they are trying to sell you everything Nintendo does as justified and part of a great master plan.
It's possible to believe something has gone wrong with the NX rollout and announcement plans were scrapped while also acknowledging the evolving role of E3 in the eyes of multiple publishers moving forward.

Peterc

Nx is coming late this gen.

What will happen with nx when ps5 will be announced?

Maybe good for Nintendo sony comes with ps4k. Maybe next gen will take a while because of neo.

I was hoping to see what Nintendo's vision for their Next-Gen console was at E3... guess I'll have to keep waiting. Seems like Nintendo is going to have a pretty weak E3 this year aside from Zelda being playable (just too bad it'll only be playable on Wii U since NX isn't there).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly thought this would be the case. I don't think Nintendo will ever get their "A game" back, because they just don't understand the console market anymore and don't compete.

I don't think that it's that they don't understand the core gamer market so much as it is that their IP, design philosophies, genres of expertise and art styles just don't appeal to that market and haven't really since the N64 era.

They just failed to secure some western dev teams to add exclusives that appeal to the core market post N64 (with a few GameCube exceptions like RE4 and Eternal Darkness). The N64 had Mario, Zelda et al, but also had Goldeneye, Perfect Dark Turok 1 & 2 etc. as exclusives.

Now they lack those type of exclusives and struggle to appeal to the core gamer market as Sony, and to a lesser extent MS, have cornered that over the past 3 generations. Thus it will be hard for them to every break back into that market.

So they're left either trying to create a new market again somehow (like they did with Wii and DS), or finding away to make enough profits off their sizeable niche of diehard fans.

They seem to be doing more of the latter with the focus on getting more first party games out, more DLC, Amiibo, licensing IPs out, themeparks etc.

I wasn't expecting anything much and I'm still disappointed. Well, that and stupefied.

I can take the NX being delayed to 2017, but man, no new information until late 2016 (not even anything about it at E3?)

Bolded is false. They haven't announced anything about the timeframe for the NX reveal beyond that it'll be at some point after E3, and October is about the absolute latest they can reveal it if the March date sticks.

Matbtz

If they are banking on Zelda to be the game people get NX for, why are they dedicating nearly their entire E3 plans to showing off the Wii U version?

Maybe because they will be strongly similiar versions ? If it's just graphics improvements or minor gimmick, what's the difference btw showing Zelda wii U or NX ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom