• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD handcuffed by investment in Microsoft's Windows Phone

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...-windows-phone-now-switching-to-apples-iphone

The New York Police Department must replace some 36,000 smartphones running Microsoft's defunct Windows Phone platform, and plans to provide its officers with replacement iPhones by the end of the year.

The NYPD's ill-advised investment in Windows Phone, as detailed by the New York Post, lasted just two years. The switch to Apple's iPhone was prompted by the announcement from Microsoft in July that it has terminated support for Windows Phone 8.1.

Smartphones have become a crucial tool in law enforcement, with the NYPD using them on the street to receive alerts, search databases, file reports, and even get real-time updates on 911 calls.

The NYPD investment in Windows Phone, first announced in late 2014, was questioned at the time because of Microsoft's small share of the smartphone space. The release of Windows Phone 8.1 failed to turn the tide against the more dominant iPhone and devices running Google's Android.

Pretty mindboggling how the one of the world's largest police forces are dependent on such a small, ill supported platform.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/nypd-needs-to-replace-36k-useless-smartphones/

According to the NY Post article:

Law enforcement sources blamed the boondoggle on NYPD Deputy Commissioner for Information Technology Jessica Tisch, with one saying, “She drove the whole process.”

“Nobody purchases 36,000 phones based on the judgment of one person,” a source said.

“I don’t care if you’re Jesus f- -king Christ, you get a panel of experts.”

SMH.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If that last quote is true, that really is pretty crazy and shows a terrible purchasing process by the department.

As someone who routinely works on seven-figure technology contracts with state and local agencies; anything that size would almost always go through some combination of RFP, internal scoring, small test roll out, review, and a guarantee of X-amount of long-term support.

Sources said Tisch, whose late grandfather co-founded the Loews Corp. conglomerate, insisted on Microsoft-based phones in part because the NYPD was already using Microsoft software to run the video surveillance program at its Lower Manhattan Security Initiative Command Center.

Yeah that makes sense.

liquidtmd

Banned
“I don’t care if you’re Jesus f- -king Christ, you get a panel of experts.”

jesus-cartoon.jpg

Dynomutt

Will seem petty but the treatment of Windows Phone really turn me off to most MS products. I was a user since Pocket PC to Windows Mobile with the HTC Wing and all up to the HTC Arrive with Windows Phone 7.

They left many users hanging on what could have been a great platform.

And now they get iPhones as replacements? Why not some cheap, but okay-ish ~$150 Android phones? Spend that spare money on sth. useful.

Zaph

damn, Harlem rapists are rejoicing today.

I wonder if she got a bag of unmarked bills from Microsoft to spearhead that effort?

I doubt anything that overt, but MS have always had a world-class public sector sales team. They know how to wine and dine you without clearly breaking any procurement rules. Its their bread and butter.

So uh, what's actually wrong with the phones? They work, they're secure, not likely to get malware on or hacked, and they have a dev platform. Do they want taser attachments or something?

Zaph

So uh, what's actually wrong with the phones? They work, they're secure, not likely to get malware on or hacked, and they have a dev platform. Do they want taser attachments or something?

MS is no longer supporting them so NYPD would have to sign a (very) expensive support contract for a dead platform. You cannot have a police force using phones without on-going security patches.

So the answer to closed platform woes is to get a new closed platform?

The issue isn't that its a closed platform, its that its dead.

snap

Banned

there won't be a way to replace them easily when they finally start to crap out. with android you can go from like an S6 or whatever to an S8. ditto with iphones. windows phone doesn't have that.

not to mention they probably can't even get new ones for their current model, even.

damn, Harlem rapists are rejoicing today.

I doubt anything that overt, but MS have always had a world-class public sector sales team. They know how to wine and dine you without clearly breaking any procurement rules. Its their bread and butter.

She also advertised the phones too? The full package.

Somnid

The point is to go to a platform that won't die.

Not really comparable. The issue is lack of support.

MS is no longer supporting them so NYPD would have to sign a (very) expensive support contract for a dead platform. You cannot have a police force using phones without on-going security patches.

The issue isn't that its a closed platform, its that its dead.

Exactly. OSS doesn't have the support death problem because the source can be inspected. Once their iPhones go out of date they are stuck with those too unless they upgrade.

At what point did Windows Phone show any indication it was going to be a viable, long-term OS? Someone who presumably is in the technology industry made or recommended this decision to NYPD and I'd love to ask them some questions.

Nafai1123

Banned
I remember when my MS loving friend got a Windows phone and was talking mad shit about Android/iPhones. Hilarious looking back.

Top Bottom