• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD: Revealing total cash seized from civilians would crash our computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Just sell one of your police tanks and you can get the best of the world enterprise software with that cost?

Then how would the police officers live out their MilSim fantasy without actually having to serve their country?

Zoe

... what sort of DB architecture does the NYPD have that this would be a thing? I mean, obviously shitty lie of an excuse, but also I just don't understand what they're saying. That it would take them that long to write a query? That they don't already have built in triggers that give them reports and running totals on this sort of thing? That any query they would write would take.... What, days to complete?

Here's the info sheet: https://www.se.capgemini.com/resour...s_property_and_evidence_tracking_system_0.pdf

This sounds more like an inventory/barcode system. If I had to guess, there probably isn't an explicit "cash amount" field that can be aggregated on. That is, assuming that the real technical reason hasn't gone through a game of telephone.

AYF 001

By "crash" do they mean when the hard drives accidentally fall out of a top story window the week before they're due to be analyzed?

But speaking of civil forfeiture, I don't think those paranoid gun owners realize that the second amendment would have to be repealed or nullified to have their firearms confiscated. The police department could just declare CF on every gun they encounter and the owners would have to spend their time and money to prove otherwise. But since it's mainly been used against minorities and the poor, they're not too concerned with it right now.

And its not like this money is just sitting somewhere right? There is no way it hasn't been pocketed. The lack of oversight is crazy.

Aselith

See this was Neo's problem, he was trying to work hard to crash the Matrix when he should have been working smart.

Aaron

How the fuck does doing a table query crash a system? Holy shit that's like one of the most common transactions that happens in the world.
It doesn't obviously. They're telling a bad lie knowing no one in authority will call them on it. It's what the police do all the time.

hwalker84

tumblr_m9lqc22Y2r1qedb29o1_500.gif
Perfect

Jon Armdog

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but if you can't provide accounting for something, that should be full stop on that thing until you can figure it out. Even ignoring the inherent problems with forfeiture, it should stop just on the lack of oversight and numbers alone.

This reminds me of talks regarding the Defense Departments budget. They ultimately have no idea specifically how their budget is spent, and attempts to account for details have failed. To me, you just have to start fresh if you don't know. Thus stuff is outrageous

You've honestly never been in a NYPD precinct before. Most of them are still running Win XP on Dell desktops.

Doesn't matter like at all. On top of the fact their DB/system for this was created in 2012. There is like absolutely no way a query would kill their system.

This is the equivalent of your friend/relative saying they can't pick you up in their car they bought brand new in 2012 because if they go over 2mph it will explode.

JeTmAn81

It's a lie, or they have the most incompetent IT people in the world. So it's a lie. And yes, even a very old computer could process the info in batches.

DirtyLarry

In the immortal words of KRS One, a Bronx Native...
"The police department is like a crew, it does whatever it wants to do."
From the song Illegal Business released in 1988 from the classic album By All Means Necessary.

Breads

Banned
“The only way the department could possibly comply with the bill would be a manual count of over half a million invoices each year.”

So they're good enough to just take the money but when put to task about counting it that's asking for a lot because they take too much?

Fuck.

Why doesn't America's biggest gang hire people to count it then.

Business as usual. The poor funding the vacations of the weathy elites like Trump and Clinton. Nothing to see here.

This news was released soon after Bratton decided to retire, also, lol.

Exactly how much of this money goes to trump?

Or clinton for that matter? At least one of them isnt an elected or appointed official yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom