• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY's Penn Station to undergo major disruptions starting July 10th, ending Sept 1st.

KSweeley

Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...on-commuters-travel-options-article-1.3307111

July 6, 2017

MTA chief Joe Lhota offered Summer of Hell advice Thursday for Penn Station commuters that’s more either-or than oracle: Either find new ways to get places or likely suffer agonizing delays.

“Try something different,” the transit guru said, encouraging riders to explore travel alternatives during disruptive emergency repair work that begins Monday in the Midtown hub.

The MTA has set up ferries and buses to bring people to and from Long Island, while sending Penn-bound LIRR trains to Brooklyn and Queens stations.

“We’re asking Long Islanders to change their habits, to try something different,” Lhota said in a conference call. “When I used to personally commute from Lindenhurst, I used to stand in the same spot every day at the station.”

Lhota said the MTA will have an operation center at agency headquarters and stations Monday to evaluate how well the the alternatives are working. The MTA will tweak service through the eight weeks Amtrak is making repairs.

Lhota said that the MTA is ready for Monday’s hellacious commute.

Link: http://www.lirrsummerschedule.com/

Effective July 10, 2017
Amtrak emergency repair work at Penn Station will cause service disruptions for about 10,000 customers who ride with us during the weekday rush hours

Why is LIRR service changing this summer?

MTA Long Island Rail Road weekday peak service will be modified from July 10 – September 1 because Amtrak, which owns and operates Penn Station, will be taking tracks out of service to make critical repairs.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
At least they're finally doing something. There's been like two derailments at Penn in the last week and a half.

When do repairs on the rest of the system and subway start?

So, funny thing, they are only touching Amtrak tracks and not LIRR or NJT tracks, rather those are being impacted due to having support Amtrak traffic.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member

giphy.gif

You know they will just claim a ridership decline once we all get stuck down there and enslaved by the mole people.

Just wait until we hit August and it's hot as fuck down there and the delays keep stacking up.

Glix

"Try something new"

Go fuck yourself, dude. Seriously. I just want to get to work. It's not some fun time adventure.

KSweeley

At least they're finally doing something. There's been like two derailments at Penn in the last week and a half.

Very good question, the NY Daily News just revealed in this exclusive that despite NY MTA officials getting free MetroCards, they aren't found riding on NY subways: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-officials-barely-ride-subways-oversee-article-1.3301207

EXCLUSIVE: MTA officials barely ride the subways they oversee despite free MetroCards

The city's beleaguered straphangers are forced to squeeze into overpacked subway cars, endure delay after delay and watch helplessly as their stations are shuttered for months at a time.

But few MTA executives and board members can relate to their soul-crushing commutes.

Records of MetroCard swipes show that some agency brass rarely ride the subway.

A Daily News analysis found that two transit honchos swiped their free MTA-issued MetroCards only once between Jan. 1, 2015 and Dec. 31, 2016. Another used it only twice during that two-year window.

Nine used their cards between 12 and 85 times during that period.

Five others swiped their cards an average of once per week during that time frame — far less than a commuting straphanger who typically uses the subway at least 10 times a week.

But the MTA refuses to identify exactly which executives or board members used their MetroCards so rarely.

Gotta fix that Amtrak eventually. I feel for those commuting.

Well they did initiate a state of emergency......which will probably still mean nothing will really be done.

Been dreading this.

Fuck Amtrak and the LIRR. Its been pure absolute shit since April when they jacked up the fares yet again. These emergency repairs aren't gonna do shit. Its just gonna go back to the slightly less shit tier service pre-april.

Been dreading this.

Fuck Amtrak and the LIRR. Its been pure absolute shit since April when they jacked up the fares yet again. These emergency repairs aren't gonna do shit. Its just gonna go back to the slightly less shit tier service pre-april.

Well if it helps prevent more derailments that's something. Now that doesn't mean better service though.

Glix

This I saw the other day. It was a really good bit of reporting on their part.

Eh.... not so sure. They don't really have enough information to draw the conclusions they are drawing. They were able to get the swipe info, and just ran with it. Actually, really bad reporting IMO

If they live in suburbs outside the city (LI, Westchester, NJ), depending on where their office is they may not have to take a bus/subway once LIRR/NJT/METRONORTH gets them into Manhattan/wherever.

without knowing where they live and where they work, the paper is just making all kinds of assumptions. If an exec takes the LIRR every day, but not the subway, you can't accuse them of not "knowing how mta riders feel" as the LIRR is MTA also.

KSweeley

Damn, a NJ Transit train derailed at NY's Penn Station: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/nyregion/penn-station-train-derailment.html

A New Jersey Transit train derailed as it entered Pennsylvania Station in New York on Thursday night, causing yet another round of delays on all New Jersey Transit and Amtrak trains just days before major repairs begin at the nation’s busiest transit hub.

There was no immediate indication that the derailment, which occurred around 9 p.m. on a train with about 100 to 150 people, had caused any injuries or damage. New Jersey Transit officials described the episode as a “minor NJT derailment,” and officials with Amtrak, which operates the tracks and the station, called it a “slow speed derailment.” The cause was not immediately known, New Jersey Transit said on Twitter.

Passengers on the train, No. 3276 on the North Jersey Coast Line, said they felt it rock and then come to a halt in the Hudson River Tunnel leading into Penn Station. “Everyone knew what had happened immediately,” said Sherif Ahmed, who was traveling from North Jersey.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
If they live in suburbs outside the city (LI, Westchester, NJ), depending on where their office is they may not have to take a bus/subway once LIRR/NJT/METRONORTH gets them into Manhattan/wherever.

without knowing where they live and where they work, the paper is just making all kinds of assumptions. If an exec takes the LIRR every day, but not the subway, you can't accuse them of not "knowing how mta riders feel" as the LIRR is MTA also.

MTA is down by Battery Park, they didn't just float down there.

Jkmetal

Banned
For the subways, anyone s guess.

I worked in the city for a temp to perm job that eventually fell through from April to august last year. Commuting from a northern jersey town with a midtown direct line was a descent into hell about half of the time. The good was getting into some serious walking shape from skipping the subways when I could. The bad was Manhattan, specifically downtown and midtown.

My GF been pinning for a trip to the city for a day but I ve been dragging my feet. Setting foot in Penn station or grand central is going to give me flashbacks. The only saving grace is that it's going to be on the weekend.

May god have mercy on all the poor souls commuting to nyc this summer.

Linkura

Very good question, the NY Daily News just revealed in this exclusive that despite NY MTA officials getting free MetroCards, they aren't found riding on NY subways: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-officials-barely-ride-subways-oversee-article-1.3301207

Reminds me of when Mitt Romney was MA governor, he rode the subway in Boston in between the two closest stations humanly possible to show how it was safe and working. So he ended up riding it for literally a few seconds total.

Gallbaro

Banned
What's being proposed to replace MSG?

A shopping mall.

Nothing that actually improves Penn Station. It has the same tracks, same platforms and same crowd capacity going back to when it was constructed (including before the tear down, the business end of the building never actually changed.

There are literally only two options that can actually improve Penn Station.
-Add more tracks and platforms.
-Through run the trains, do not use it as a terminal.

Because who could have foreseen downsizing a major transit hub would be a bad idea long-term?

From an operations point of view it was never downsized.

Ok, now do something about the bathrooms.

Public owned facility, cannot do anything against the homeless population unless they are actually committing a crime. Grand Central is not actually publicly owned (MTA leases it).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Because who could have foreseen downsizing a major transit hub would be a bad idea long-term?

The only good thing that came out of tearing down the old Penn station is the Landmarks Preservation Commission. Which saved Grand Central Terminal (and other buildings/locations).

Question GAF :

What does this mean for someone visiting NYC during this time? I'm going to be in town mid August, staying in Manhattan and walking to a lot of places but likely using the subway when needed. Is Penn something I would have used or nah?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Question GAF :

What does this mean for someone visiting NYC during this time? I'm going to be in town mid August, staying in Manhattan and walking to a lot of places but likely using the subway when needed. Is Penn something I would have used or nah?

Na, you won't need Penn. The subway has its own troubles though. Lately it has gotten bad.

LI gets Brooklyn and Queens then, not a bad trade.

God no. They can have Staten Island. It isn't really a borough anyway.

Gallbaro

Banned
The only good thing that came out of tearing down the old Penn station is the Landmarks Preservation Commission. Which saved Grand Central Terminal (and other buildings/locations).

Landmarks has gone a little fucking nuts. The entire Village, Park Slope, Upper West/East sides being preserved at the expense of additional housing it part of the reason why the median Manhattan home price is now 1.3 million.

Grand Central is getting some of the LIRR lines eventually, so it should help with volume at Penn.

Snicker...

Fuchsdh

Question GAF :

How are you getting into the city? If you're taking the train here it may. Otherwise it shouldn't interfere with subway service around (beyond the issues the subway is having.)

Question GAF :

No, this largely impacts people using the railroads.

That said, the subway extra-sucks this year too and it's hard to say how this will affect subway commuter volume.

Try something new? The fuck is that supposed to mean? Either I have a commute train or not. I ain't buying a car to get to work. Bus rides are good for short trips. Daisy chaining busses is a recipe to exponentially increase commute time .

Try something new? The fuck is that supposed to mean? Either I have a commute train or not. I ain't buying a car to get to work. Bus rides are good for short trips. Daisy chaining busses is a recipe to exponentially increase commute time .

The other option is a ferry :p

Horrible organization.

Fuchsdh

Landmarks has gone a little fucking nuts. The entire Village, Park Slope, Upper West/East sides being preserved at the expense of additional housing it part of the reason why the median Manhattan home price is now 1.3 million.

I'd say that historic preservation is pretty low on the number of issues on that front. NY has a lot of other building regulations that drive up costs, and rent control remains a huge factor.

Preservation rules probably do still need a look at, both for balancing new development and also for not being used as a way for property owners to bulldoze their properties as soon as they know it may get designated.

Gallbaro

Banned
Didn't they just spend a bunch of money to fix up MSG?

The Dolans spent $1B (?) a few years ago for some renovations. They recently received a 10 year renewal on their special permit for operations. However demoing the arena and replacing it with a mall will not improve passenger or train operations.

Jkmetal

Banned
The Dolans spent $1B (?) a few years ago for some renovations. They recently received a 10 year renewal on their special permit for operations. However demoing the arena and replacing it with a mall will not improve passenger or train operations.

No it won't. Watch them try to build a second mall of america like thing there while people are trying to get to work. It'll be bright and shiny when its finished while Penn station remains a dark, dank hole.

In an aside, why build a mall in Manhattan when they're still trying to get the Meadowlands project back on track.

No it won't. Watch them try to build a second mall of america like thing there while people are trying to get to work. It'll be bright and shiny when its finished while Penn station remains a dark, dank hole.

In an aside, why build a mall in Manhattan when they're still trying to get the Meadowlands project back on track.

So like the Manhattan Mall over 34th?

Just came back from a week in NYC, used Penn Station then couple of times. Arrived by amtrak to Penn and used it to and from Meadowlands. Was fine then only very busy with commuters once for me. But o can imagine refurbushiment is gonna fuck up things there.

Dat NYC subway needs and overhaul doe. Only a few stations are "modern" and not run down and the trains are very non modern and clunky compared to orher subways. But it is mostly serviceable i guess thats why its barely touched?

Top Bottom