• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY's Penn Station to undergo major disruptions starting July 10th, ending Sept 1st.

Just came back from a week in NYC, used Penn Station then couple of times. Arrived by amtrak to Penn and used it to and from Meadowlands. Was fine then only very busy with commuters once for me. But o can imagine refurbushiment is gonna fuck up things there.

Dat NYC subway needs and overhaul doe. Only a few stations are "modern" and not run down and the trains are very non modern and clunky compared to orher subways. But it is mostly serviceable i guess thats why its barely touched?

The government likes new things, and not maintaining what they have. Kinda jealous of that Hudson Yards station.

Mahonay

Banned
God our infrastructure is such a piece of shit. This summer has been a nightmare.

Penn Station is also a huge piece of shit though and absolutely needed to be worked on. Luckily when leaving the city I mostly use Grand Central. But to visit my dad in PA, I do leave from Penn. Feel sorry for those who commute to/from there from work.

Thank god I got out of Long Island. It's not always a picnic getting to and from Brooklyn to Manhattan, but at least it ain't this shit.

Gallbaro

Banned
No it won't. Watch them try to build a second mall of america like thing there while people are trying to get to work. It'll be bright and shiny when its finished while Penn station remains a dark, dank hole.

In an aside, why build a mall in Manhattan when they're still trying to get the Meadowlands project back on track.

Because politicians like ribbon cutting events for new stations
malls
that they name after their father. Look the the WTC path station and the Fulton Center.

So like the Manhattan Mall over 34th?

If I recall correctly, Manhattan mall is private, this is a government entity building malls. And holy fuck we spent $4 billion on one.

I was to the "mall" over at 34th st and that is a joke of a mall if ever been to one. Found some cheap Star Wars merch there tho.. always something?

Also a shame they demolished the old Penn Station building. Shouldve kept it like Grand Central.

pennstationpostcard.jpg

Gallbaro

Banned
No, I mean in the future as well. Grand Central is eventually going to act as a terminal at some point for certain LIRR lines.

No not GCT, a brand new $2 billion station several hundred feet away from Grand Central Terminal. Because MTA could not figure out how to get MTA-LIRR and MTA-MN management to work together. GCT has sooo much spare capacity as is.

Also a shame they demolished the old Penn Station building. Shouldve kept it like Grand Central.

pennstationpostcard.jpg

Apparently, because of what happened to Penn Station, Grand Central was saved. I'm going to go with people being short sighted for why Penn Station is what it is now. Imagine if Penn Station was given the same upkeep as Grand Central.

Apparently, because of what happened to Penn Station, Grand Central was saved. I'm going to go with people being short sighted for why Penn Station is what it is now. Imagine if Penn Station was given the same upkeep as Grand Central.

Also isnt Penn Station have alot more trains to and from it? Grand Central these days works as a glorified commuter station while Penn does Amtrak and alot of other things? Before i knew i thought i was gonna arrive at Grand Central from Boston.

Gallbaro

Banned
Also isnt Penn Station have alot more trains to and from it? Grand Central these days works as a glorified commuter station while Penn does Amtrak and alot of other things? Before i knew i thought i was gonna arrive at Grand Central from Boston.
GCT is the largest traffic station in the world by terms of track capacity. Metro North is the busiest commuter railroad in the region. Penn station does have higher passenger and train counts.

And now dat Metlife building sits behind it...

PanAm :p

GCT was explicitly built for office towers to be built on it, two of them are. Penn station was not and it is likely more reason than any one survives.

GCT is the largest traffic station in the world by terms of track capacity. Metro North is the busiest commuter railroad in the region. Penn station does have higher passenger and train counts.

PanAm :p

GCT was explicitly built for office towers to be built on it, two of them are. Penn station was not and it is likely more reason than any one survives.

PanAm? Ok but the building spells out Metlife on it so outsiders like me think its a Metlife building...

Gallbaro

Banned
PanAm? Ok but the building spells out Metlife on it so outsiders like me think its a Metlife building...

Back in my day:
-the TriBorough was the TriBorough
-The Battery Tunnel was the Battery Tunnel
-The Pan Am building was the god damn Pan Am building.

Top Bottom