• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obscure toys, shows, movies from your childhood

mlclmtckr

Banned
Battle Dome

pic766185.jpg

Smoggies

Shufflepuck

Read these in third grade or so and they were the first series of books that got me hooked on reading:

myteacherseries.jpg

Bruce Coville is the shit. I read every single one of his books as a kid.

I remember all of this stuff, especially Robotix (I think my set is in my parents basement still)

Does anybody here remember Hypernauts? It was a live action saturday morning show that aired like 6 episodes before getting cancelled. It was a legit scifi drama for kids and it blew my mind as a kid. To this day, I've never found another person that has ever heard of it

Intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc81biphvxc

For a very, very long time I would try to talk to people my age about Eerie, Indiana and no one knew what I was talking about.

Fortunately in the last few years it feels like people have remembered and found each other online because I see it come up a lot. I guess it doesn't count as much for this thread for that reason, but it feels like it was wiped from the public memory for a long time before returning.

Oh Man I loved Eerie, it wasn't as popular as I'd hoped really

I didn't know a single person who had even watched MUSCLE when I was a kid

My childhood almost.

Damn those were some good memories right there

Welcumppl.png

I loved Crazy Bones. Eggy was the shit.

Oh man I'd almost forgot about them! I had loads and loads of them

I still have loads of the little ones of Boglins at home
miniboglins-yellowcrowd.jpg

Oppo

but I went absolutely crazy for the 200-in-1 Radio Shack kit

Ft4QwzV.jpg

like, hours and hours and hours. taught me logic gates, taught me about radio waves, LEDs, morse code, electrical resistance, transistors, everything.

the first time I built a crystal set radio that ran on absolutely nothing but the energy of the radio waves themselves I felt like Tesla

edit - lol that big fat clear block, near the top? that's the actual LED. the lower numeric display was old lamp style, it lied on the label

Mighty Max anyone? It was my toy jam as a young kid.

Alot of other nostalgic stuff in this thread for me such as Dino Riders, Pagemaster, Gummi Bears and so on.

EshKDwd.png

latest

DvyK60H.jpg

mm-whole-set-3.jpg

I LOVED this movie as a kid, but not for the intended reason. It had all of my favorite cartoon characters, their theme songs and voice actors, and it was actually pretty gripping and scary as far as kids movies go. I was too young to even understand what drugs even were, I thought the crack was sugar cubes.

Best part? Free to rent at Blockbuster because it was a public service video. So I rented it often.

You can watch the whole thing here.

muteki

Many of mine posted already but I recently found one of my Key Force cars in the attic. Hard to find pics of the things. They were kinda similar to M.A.S.K.

2ec0ed01c7e9cc6cea2ea2ba153af5ea--hot-wheels-force.jpg

Many of mine posted already but I recently found one of my Key Force cars in the attic. Hard to find pics of the things. They were kinda similar to M.A.S.K.

2ec0ed01c7e9cc6cea2ea2ba153af5ea--hot-wheels-force.jpg
Shit yea! I had the bike in bottom left, cop car in upper right, plus two more that weren't pictured. One of them had six wheels, and had a helicopter hiding in it. I can't remember much about the last one I had though... Those were pretty neat-o, a cool different type of "transformer"

Corrupt

Crazy Bones and Boglins.. man, this thread is bringing back some memories lol

One of my favourite toys looking back was this Manta Force Red Venom ship
51hCKhbibwL.jpg

51NxtDQ-3YL.jpg

This thing had so much shit to play with, 4 missle-like pods that have different purposes (aqua, ski, mole, sky), fireable rockets, sleds, a hover vehicle and troop carrier (which connect together) that detach from the ship's centre along a bunch of mini-figures.

It was the perfect toy for someone who hated having a toy that didn't have a place for it's loose pieces and accessories.

Read these in third grade or so and they were the first series of books that got me hooked on reading:

myteacherseries.jpg

Man, these bring me back! I remember getting these during our schools book fair when I was in middle school. I owned all of them except the first one. Really enjoyed these stories.

Construx was my one of my favorites:

ef396ea5dcc8ae86fb7083531317df6d.jpg

You could build some awesome stuff with it.

My go to builds were spaceships, wearable armor, and add-on structures to other action figure vehicles (such as Star Wars and G.I. Joe vehicles)

Out of all the DVDs they released of the OG Care Bear movies, they never skipped this one:
MPW-36541

Funny, this is the 3rd movie, they released both the 1st and 2nd, as well as the 4th movie (the Nutcracker one). Not a GOOD MOVIE, but definitely nostalgic since I went to actually see in in theaters when it came out.

Also:
Kissyfur
DGeJFB2XkAAy1BC.jpg

Saturday Supercade cartoons
cbs_saturday_supercade_by_thepeopleslima-db4ouq6.jpg

Adventures of Don Coyote and Sancho Panda
161.jpg

Around the World in 80 Dreams
hqdefault.jpg

Midnight Patrol/Potsworth & Co.
vlcsnap-00262.jpg

OG Popples cartoon
0.jpg

Live-Action My Pet Monster movie

The Froozles
vpickett.jpg

^^^ When I think of those "old kids shows" creepypastas like Candle Cove and such, I think back to shows like this (which isn't creepy, though I always envisioned those creepypasta shows to be like it in "quality").

Some old Nickelodeon aired shows:

Turkey Television
latest

Today's Special
todays-special-hero.jpg

Pinwheel
9bccd013a89c8d2c321817c897501d29.jpg

Mad Scientist toys

Super Naturals
500768.jpg

jph139

fp7110-castle-front.JPG

I don't know how rare it was.

I had all of those - the castle, the pirate ship, the Sherwood Forest, and the wild west town. And a million of the little expansion packs/accessories, like the fire/ice knights and the skull island.

Shit man, I even had the PC games.

Easily the highlight of my early childhood.

NekoFever

Does anyone else remember BraveStarr? I rarely see it come up in threads like this.

Bravestarrtitlecard.jpg

Anyone remember a cartoon movie called "Flight of Dragons"? It showed on TV when I was a kid. I remember my mom calling out the window that the dragon movie was showing, and we ran in to watch it.

I found it online recently and watched it. It's not bad.

I remember it. I actually couldn't find it for years - all I could recall was a guy being trapped in the body of a dragon - until I came across the title online a few years ago. I always assumed it was some minor production and that was why I couldn't find it, so I was surprised to see James Earl Jones in the cast.

Mdk7

2080937-the_maxx.jpg

This show on MTV. I was swept away by the striking visual style, creativity and blend of drama and humor. I remember it was just me and one other kid in school who watched it. We would talk about it all the time and I was obsessed with drawing the characters. I kinda understood the dark themes the show was exploring at the time, but how dark the subject matter really was didn't sink in until I rewatched it as an adult. Still great, and holds up well. Remarkably true to the comics. I'd like to see more comic adaptations done this way.

I'd love to know more about this.
Like reading the comic or watching the show.

Top Bottom