• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian licenses Pathfinder, first title is digital Adventure Card Game for tablets

Labadal

Stolen from rpgcodex.

OBSIDIAN ANNOUNCES PATHFINDER LICENSE

Obsidian to partner with Paizo Inc. to release electronic Pathfinder games

INDIANAPOLIS -- August 13, 2014 -- Obsidian Entertainment, the developer of Fallout: New Vegas, South Park: the Stick of Truth and the Kickstarter phenomenon Pillars of Eternity, announced that they have entered into a long-term licensing partnership with Paizo Inc. to produce electronic games based on its popular Pathfinder Roleplaying Game intellectual property

Obsidian's first licensed product will be a tablet game based on the highly successful Pathfinder Adventure Card game, a cooperative game for 1 to 4 players. Players each have a unique character composed of a deck of cards and a set of stats. Characters have classes such as fighter, rogue, wizard and cleric, as well as numbers that define attributes such as strength, wisdom and charisma etc. Players will be able to customize their deck to better suit each individual’s vision of their character.

"At Obsidian we have a long history of working with the greatest RPG franchises, and we're thrilled to get to play in the Pathfinder universe now," said CEO Feargus Urquhart. "We're huge fans and can't wait to bring what we do in the electronic gaming world to Pathfinder fans everywhere".

In the world of Pathfinder, players take on the role of brave adventurers fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil. The Pathfinder RPG is currently translated into multiple languages, with hundreds of thousands of players worldwide. The Pathfinder brand has also been licensed for comic book series, graphic novels, miniatures, plush toys, apparel, and is being developed into a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game.

"Obsidian is a video game developer at the top of its game", said Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens. "Being able to bring that type of experience and passion to Pathfinder can only mean great things, both for our loyal Pathfinder community and for all fans of great CRPG's."

Obsidian will be at Gen Con 2014 showing off an early prototype of the digital Pathfinder Adventure Card Game in the Paizo booth (#203) and in their own booth (#2151) featuring the first consumer hands on for Pillars of Eternity.

About Obsidian Entertainment
www.obsidian.net

About Paizo Inc.
www.paizo.com

Obsidian Entertainment Press Contact:
Shane DeFreest
Press@obsidian.net

Paizo Inc. Press Contact:
Jenny Bendel
Jenny.bendel@paizo.com

They're adapting this:

pic1775517_mdh9ksy.jpg

pic1795366_lgb1e4d.jpg

Update:
BvA2RcxIAAAzgGh.jpg

1937474_10152459729007530_7278203984192288831_n.jpg

bigkrev

While I always hope Playdek gets these licenses (because they make awesome ports), i'll be there day 1. I love card games on iPad

Interesting choice, but it makes a fair bit of sense, Paizo has been the biggest guy on the block in RPG sales for a while, though D&D 5e has a chance to take back the crown. Some friends of mine like the PF setting a lot, so we'll see where this goes.

Almighty

I will file this in the same category as Dungeon Siege III. In that I am happy Obsidian is getting work, but I personally will probably never play this game.

Labadal

I will try out the card game, but what I am waiting for is the potential role playing game they might be doing. I wonder if it will be their next Kickstarter game. I think the campagin might launch sometime this winter.

Temple of the Elemental Evil gameplay with Obisidan's writing. I would shed tears of joy.

As for the setting itself. I have no experience with it. All I have heard is that it is a D&D knockoff with a more technically advanced world.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Card game?

Rough market to try and compete with Hearthstone, Magic, Hex, Duel of Champions, Solforge, etc...

Hope it works out of them.

fenners

Card game?

Rough market to try and compete with Hearthstone, Magic, Hex, Duel of Champions, Solforge, etc...

It's a different sort of game - it's a co-op adventure vs the game, rather than competitive p-vs-p. It's a very successful card game already.

Card game?

its a co-op dugneon crawl card game and its not like any of the games you mentioned. Also this card game allows you to level up characters and take them with you through different scenarios.

Almighty

Pathfinder is pretty deep even by board game standards.

I don't want to knock Pathfinder as I know nothing about it, but I just don't generally dig card games. In this case though it being for tablets is my biggest hurdle. If Obsidian uses the license to make a PC/console RPG then I will most likely be all over that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I don't want to knock Pathfinder as I know nothing about it, but I just don't generally dig card games. In this case though it being for tablets is my biggest hurdle. If Obsidian uses the license to make a PC/console RPG then I will most likely be all over that.

Well someone asked the owner of the Pathfinder publisher on twitter yesterday about the leak wondering if it was a card game or a CRPG.

His response: "Why not have both?"

Labadal

Well someone asked the owner of the Pathfinder publisher on twitter yesterday about the leak wondering if it was a card game or a CRPG.

Lisa is a girls name.

They will most likely do other things than just the card game.

Briarios

I'm very sure we'll see a big RPG on consoles or PC coming from Obsidian based on Pathfinder ... But, you have this great card based RPG-lite game with scenarios already written! why not go for the low-hanging fruit, implement it, and start getting some revenue flowing? The game is actually really good, too.

Lisa is a girls name.

They will most likely do other things than just the card game.

Here's the link.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rd8x&page=2?Pathfinder-Computer-Game-to-be-revealed-at#65

Another possibility is they could be making the pathfinder adventure card game into a computer game, similar to Magic The Gathering, and Warcraft's Hearthstone.

That said, i'd prefer a CRPG. by far.

You know what I say in life, why do you have to choose? Why not have both?

:)

-Lisa

Almighty

Well that is good enough for me. Overall this sounds like good news all around then.

Farks!

First Pillars of Eternity (and all the other cRPG Kickstarters) and now this. Can this revival of cRPG's get any better?

ultron87

The ACG is entertaining enough, but I'm not sure if I'd like playing it online, especially if it is asynch. Having everyone around the table is what makes it fun.

I would probably actually prefer it if I could just run four heroes on my own. Which is possible in the paper game, but cumbersome.

zeorhymer

Card game?

It's not a traditional card game like those. It's basically D&D in card format to make it easier to remember and manage the rules.

adj_noun

First Pillars of Eternity (and all the other cRPG Kickstarters) and now this. Can this revival of cRPG's get any better?

I'm really hankering for a fresh new sci fi IP in the vein of Mass Effect.

But yes, it's been pretty darn great.

marrec

Banned
Hellllllllllllll yes.

More LCGs on Tablets please. I guess we don't know if it's going to be exclusive to iOS or anything yet?

Here's hoping it's coming to Android as well as iOS.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The Pathfinder Adventure Card game is not like other card games on the market, really.

You pick your character in the beginning, each one starting with a deck of 15 cards that constitutes as both your options while exploring and your life point total. If ever you need to draw from your deck and you cannot, you are dead. Each session, depending on the number of players, there will be 3-6 "location decks" in which the character will take turns exploring by revealing the top card of the deck. Exploration can lead to boons, which are things such as weapons or allies to assist you, or banes, which could be monsters to fight or traps to disarm. You roll a die against the check on the card to either obtain the card if it is a boon or defeat it if it is a bane.

Those are the basics. The interesting thing and what I like about it is is that the game is persistent. So after you have completed a quest, not only do you keep in your deck all of the boons you have obtained but usually there is a reward for finishing a scenario. So you will upgrade your stats, hand size etc and the next scenario when you are making your 15 card deck you can make it from all the cards you obtained for your character so far.

Adapting this should not be too much trouble, and Paizo is one of the very best in the business in supporting their product lines and continuously releasing content. This means that Obsidian can get the game out and have what can hopefully be a nice revenue stream for the studio going forward.

zulux21

Hellllllllllllll yes.

More LCGs on Tablets please. I guess we don't know if it's going to be exclusive to iOS or anything yet?

Here's hoping it's coming to Android as well as iOS.

I am hoping that since it says tablets it means more then the ipad. At the very least I would buy this day one on my android tablet.

either way this is cool news, the card game is fun but takes a while to set up. I wouldn't mind having a tablet version to play when I am feeling lazy (thus if it's IOS only I could be one step closer to owning an ipad)

Wiktor

Not interesed, but I hope proper PC projects will follow. What I dream is Obsidian making a spiritual successor to NWN2 using Pathfinder license. Not really with a great campaign, because that's what Pillars of Eternity is for. What I want is a virtual PnP experience, with users creating modules and with Gamemasters. It seems like perfect time to do this kind of thing. cRPGs are booming and user content is all rage thanks to all those sandboxes.

Some Nobody

The Pathfinder Adventure Card game is not like other card games on the market, really.

You pick your character in the beginning, each one starting with a deck of 15 cards that constitutes as both your options while exploring and your life point total. If ever you need to draw from your deck and you cannot, you are dead. Each session, depending on the number of players, there will be 3-6 "location decks" in which the character will take turns exploring by revealing the top card of the deck. Exploration can lead to boons, which are things such as weapons or allies to assist you, or banes, which could be monsters to fight or traps to disarm. You roll a die against the check on the card to either obtain the card if it is a boon or defeat it if it is a bane.

Those are the basics. The interesting thing and what I like about it is is that the game is persistent. So after you have completed a quest, not only do you keep in your deck all of the boons you have obtained but usually there is a reward for finishing a scenario. So you will upgrade your stats, hand size etc and the next scenario when you are making your 15 card deck you can make it from all the cards you obtained for your character so far.

Adapting this should not be too much trouble, and Paizo is one of the very best in the business in supporting their product lines and continuously releasing content. This means that Obsidian can get the game out and have what can hopefully be a nice revenue stream for the studio going forward.

This sounds neat. I'm interested.

And, if somehow a PC/console RPG spawned from it's existence, that'd be okay too.

Draxal

Card game?

This is much more like Star Realms/Dominion/Ascension than the ones you mentioned.

The ACG is entertaining enough, but I'm not sure if I'd like playing it online, especially if it is asynch. Having everyone around the table is what makes it fun.

I would probably actually prefer it if I could just run four heroes on my own. Which is possible in the paper game, but cumbersome.

I like the acg as well but it is very fiddly, and a tabletized version will stream line the game a ton.

Karkador

Banned
I think I'll like this game more in this format. Managing your characters and the campaigns will be a lot easier to do digitally, even though there was something charming about having a sheet you check off your stats and card list on.

With that said, I think people wanting an RPG from Obsidian should check this game out, because it's still very much an RPG, albeit a different take on one.

For people who are comparing this to Hearthstone and stuff like that, bear in mind that this is a co-op game that you play with your friends, so it's immediately very different from a head-to-head Magic-style game. You carry the progress of the same character and deck through many games - and if they die, it's over.

The second thing is that you don't build a deck of cards in a traditional way. Your deck is essentially your life, your equipment and items, so you only really ever modify your deck by playing the game and finding new things to swap into it and expand your abilities. It has more of an RPG feel than the usual TCG drip-feed of booster packs and having different decks for different situations.

I'm good with this announcement under the auspices of yet more to come, though also under the auspices of hoping even this tablet one can find a route to PC proper and all else because nothing from these write-ups outlining about how it might go strike me as technically impossible?

However, if I'm honest, part of me wants somebody to slip Obsidian the phone number for From Software such that they can just cold call them at like 3am and ask for tips a la their old Lost Kingdoms goodness.

Phinor

Hopefully they have enough options so that we can indeed do solo gaming with x number of heroes, where x can be anything from 1 to 4 (or 6 if they have character add-on in the game). Onling gaming with mobile devices isn't just something I want to ever do. Personally I used two heroes when playing the physical game but I'd go with 3 or 4 in a tablet game in which some things are handled automatically by the app.

While I will definitely buy the digital version if it supports Nexus 10 (and isn't riddled with free-to-play gimmicks), I'm sad that it's Obsidian doing it. Always hoping that they can put all their resources into unique new experiences or if they are doing a licensed game, it's in the form of Fallout: New Vegas or South Park RPG. A different take on an existing property.

draetenth

Well, I doubt I would play it. However, I enjoy Obsidian's work and would hate to see them shut down so if this keeps them in business - go for it. As long as they still produce the games I like, I don't care too much about what else they do...

Gothos

It's highly unlikely they entered multiyear partnership just to make one game :)

I can't get excited for card games, especially when they're for mobile. A shame, because Pathfinder sounds so interesting...

Sorry, Obsidian.

Remmy2112

As someone who invested years into the Neverwinter Nights games I hope this leads to a Pathfinder Nights project. I want it, I want it real bad.

I would also not be adverse to a proper turn-based or real-time with pause CRPG in addition.

New002

I think there was a thread about this yesterday as well. I'm excited. Just bought the game and played my first scenario with friends this past weekend. Just finished putting some character sheets into a binder actually.

duckroll

Looks pretty good actually. If it takes off, it might be a good idea for them to expand the service into browsers and other digital platforms too. I really like the way the UI looks.

Denton

So, assuming they make an actual RPG from this license, is the setting interesting ? What kind of RPG would it lend itself to best, openworld NV-like, or PoE like ?

Top Bottom