• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian licenses Pathfinder, first title is digital Adventure Card Game for tablets

Seanspeed

Banned
Card game?

Notlikethis.gif

Obsidian, come back to consoles please. I miss the likes of alpha protocol and new vegas :(
Well I'm guessing that like other publishers, they'd like to take advantage of the mobile market in order to keep their business afloat and help fund their larger, more expensive efforts.

Ahzrei

Banned
I really hope they get to make a real RPG with this license. Can't imagine a better company for it in this day and age.

Uzzy

So, assuming they make an actual RPG from this license, is the setting interesting ? What kind of RPG would it lend itself to best, openworld NV-like, or PoE like ?

It's a bit of a kitchen sink setting, with room for any kind of adventure really. There's areas that are perfect for horror games, or barbarians fighting robots from space, or pirate adventures, or holy warriors fighting a massive and world threatening demonic incursion. Of course, there's more 'standard' fantasy countries too.

It'd lend itself perfectly to PoE like game, I reckon. If they did something like that, I'd love to see Pathfinder's module format get copied over to the game, so we get big new adventures in different areas of the world on a regular basis.

GECK

Meh. Serious meh.

Darklands successor PLEASE. Now that they're chummy with Paradox I bet they would bite on the idea.

Ahzrei

Banned
What, specifically, don't you like about card games?

Because the Pathfinder card game isn't like pokemon or M:tG if that's what you're thinking.

As someone who used to love Magic before it got all 15 minutes or less, is the Pathfinder game worth checking out?

Uzzy

As someone who used to love Magic before it got all 15 minutes or less, is the Pathfinder game worth checking out?

It's absolutely nothing like Magic, for one. It's a co-operative game for one to four players, where you take the role of a Pathfinder character (rogue, wizard, fighter, cleric etc), each with various proficiencies and skills represented by the cards you get. The objective is to go on an adventure to defeat a villain, represented by his own set of cards.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
So, assuming they make an actual RPG from this license, is the setting interesting ? What kind of RPG would it lend itself to best, openworld NV-like, or PoE like ?

I like the Pathfinder setting (it's basically a D&D RPG setting) and know some of the folks at Paizo, but it's honestly a theme park setting kind of like Forgotten Realms... there's a Russia/Slav land, a Viking land, a French Revolution land, Holy Roman Empire land, Transylvania land, etc. It's got a metaplot, but most things are on a much slower burn than Forgotten Realms ever thought about. There aren't really any Elminsters or Drizzts running around (well, there were, but they're all dead, missing, hiding, or on a vacation).

Alavard

Well I'm guessing that like other publishers, they'd like to take advantage of the mobile market in order to keep their business afloat and help fund their larger, more expensive efforts.

Yeah. And if they only just got the license it could be a while before they have anything tangible to show for bigger-scale projects that they've just started production on.

Serra

What, specifically, don't you like about card games?

Because the Pathfinder card game isn't like pokemon or M:tG if that's what you're thinking.

I know what the Pathfinder card game is like. Its just a much simplified version of D&D (which went to shit after 3.5 and basically became a card game).

marrec

Banned
I know what the Pathfinder card game is like. Its just a much simplified version of D&D (which went to shit after 3.5 and basically became a card game).

Ah, so your issue is more with the format (cards) than with the structure of the game.

I hear ya, that's cool. I personally love any board game that incorporates cards into the system without adding too much luck but that's not for everyone.

Farks!

thumbs-up-computer-kid-gif_zps11d45fe6.gif

DMiz

Ah, so your issue is more with the format (cards) than with the structure of the game.

I hear ya, that's cool. I personally love any board game that incorporates cards into the system without adding too much luck but that's not for everyone.

You should try the D&D board games, ironically. They're great fun and I have a blast playing them with friends and family; actually got a few friends into running some campaigns again thanks to it because they translate so well into 4th edition, which they ten run for the first time on their own.

Off-topic, but as much hate 4th edition gets, it really does a good job of easing people into the system and rules before switching to anything else (Pathfinder being a popular one).

Draxal

..... Er, I really don't think a post like this is constructive at all, Obsidian has a team working on Pillars of Eternity right now, you'd probably want that team working on a Pathfinder game proper. Not the small team they're assembling for this as it really doesn't require that much (as all the art assets are pretty much in place).

Rise of the Runelords is FANTASTIC

A digital version of this is going to be great, even if Obsidian isn't necessarily who i'd ask to do it

This physical game is one of the best released in a long while. So this is a natural fit for tablets!

What an amazing first move in the Pathfinder license by Obsidian, and I'm so stoked by what can come next set in the fully fleshed out setting of Golarion that Paizo has set up over the decade for Pathfinder.

More Golarion info here - http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Golarion

Golarion_zps86ae6795.jpg

Every bit the equal of Forgotten Realms, and ripe for digging into.

Leb

I love Obsidian more than executive orders, but hate card games more than an obstructionist congress. Will put this next to my signed copy of Witcher 2.

I asked on Twitter, but I wonder if the overall gaming license here covers only tablets, or is it broader and cover consoles and PC?

proper pathfinder rpg from obsidian pls.

with references to the legendary V-BOMB

I can sure see it coming. But keep in mind that they licensed the Pathfinder setting, Golarion, and not the ruleset. The DnD 3.0 Open Source specifically forbids any usage of the actual DnD rules.

But that is fairly easy to get past, I'd say as normally the rules under RPGs aren't the reason people play for the most part.

Farks!

I wonder if the could license Planescape and apply the Pathfinder ruleset on it. Then MCA and co would be able to do some real magic. I'm well aware of Tides of Numenéra (I'm a backer), but another Planescape game would make me real moist.

250203130ff5cc2f9629672af027f49a.gif

I wonder if the could license Planescape and apply the Pathfinder ruleset on it. Then MCA and co would be able to do some real magic. I'm well aware of Tides of Numenéra (I'm a backer), but another Planescape game would make me real moist.

250203130ff5cc2f9629672af027f49a.gif

The Pathfinder ruleset is a modified version of DnD 3,0 so it would have to go through Wizards of the coast along with the Planescape setting as they own both.

Also there is already a new "Planescape" game coming. ;)

Well basically... https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

Labadal

I asked on Twitter, but I wonder if the overall gaming license here covers only tablets, or is it broader and cover consoles and PC?
In short:
Multi year contract, more than one game. CRPG in the plans. The card game hits tablets first, other platforms later.

Toxi

Banned
Didn't even realize there was a card game. Huh.

God no. It's a very generic setting that's basically not-Forgotten Realms, and I already hate Forgotten Realms.

But it would probably lend itself best to an open world game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Digital version of Eldritch Horror next plz.

Rise of the Runelords is a very fun coop game but its not in my top coops. As far as setting goes Pathfinder is pretty standard fantasy. Its much more interesting as a superior take on D&D 3 and 3.5's ruleset than anything.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Really cool. When my pathfinder group is missing too many people or the DM we often break this out. We're currently 60% of the way through the skinsaw murder scenario. Having a persistent deck of cards that represents your character and that you are upgrading has been a really fun mechanic.

It's been really light on flavor/story though. Yeah there's some flavor text on the cards but it isn't really enough to sell the idea of a story. I'll be interested in seeing if Obsidian beefs up that part of the game or focuses more on just delivering the multiplayer experience true to actual card game.

Oh man, I want them to make a CRPG of Pathfinder Kingmaker Campaign. That would be so freaking awesome.

Any here played it? Lots of fun setting up your own kingdom and whatnot with friends in a Table Top setting.

Top Bottom