• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Go announced, $199 standalone headset

Yeah but what can you honestly do with those? I have a mobile VR headset and the apps and basically everything for it is pure garbage. A 199 dollar version of that doesnt fix the VR entry problem.

To be perfectly honest the best experience I had with my Gear VR was watching Netflix and trailers made specifically for VR.

If the image quality takes a big step up and is less pixelated / grainy, then this could be pretty neat. It could also be great when used in tandem with shared space VR apps like BigScreen VR. An app like that could interface seamlessly with your laptop, work computer, or gaming PC, assuming there's extremely low latency.

Edit: to be clear, when using this with something like BigScreen I'm not asserting that you would use the Oculus Go like a Rift or Vive to play VR games, rather you would be playing your PC games on a giant effing screen in a virtual space or theater. It's pretty neat.

If they're willing to lose money on this with every sale, and I bet that they are, I have pretty high hopes for it.

I had decent experiences with the Gear VR and my Galaxy S7, and if they're boasting that it will be a step up from the mobile experience, then I'll probably keep my eye on this.

From my personal experience I can say that my biggest issue with the GearVR (2016) and Galaxy S7 was the narrow field of view, the low resolution (or perhaps just pronounced due to the screen door effect, not sure which is worse) and the lack of positional tracking.

For me, this standalone model doesn't really do anything to solve those issues. I was hoping they'd at least get some form of inside-out tracking into the headset.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If they're willing to lose money on this with every sale, and I bet that they are, I have pretty high hopes for it.

I had decent experiences with the Gear VR and my Galaxy S7, and if they're boasting that it will be a step up from the mobile experience, then I'll probably keep my eye on this.

I'm imagining it's subsidized, and is going to lose money. The goal being to increase install base and make back the loss on software.

paulogy

I don't buy the "if they're willing to lose money on this" argument. Taken to an extreme they'd just hand them out for free and no one's going to do that. You would almost always start with your best (most margin) price and lower it if you have to.

Nexas

Just as Palmer would have wanted
a2oODrf.gif

Lady Gaia

It’s not just specs that are missing from the OP summary, and presumably the announcement, but the whole question of what ecosystem this plugs into. Do developers have to build a version targeting this device specifically and distribute it through the Oculus store? If so, good luck. I wouldn’t touch a niche product in a closed ecosystem with a ten-foot pole, but perhaps that’s how they’re hoping to subsidize the price.

Just as Palmer would have wanted

Brilliant.

Gurrry

To be perfectly honest the best experience I had with my Gear VR was watching Netflix and trailers made specifically for VR.

If the image quality takes a big step up and is less pixelated / grainy, then this could be pretty neat. It could also be great when used in tandem with shared space VR apps like BigScreen VR. An app like that could interface seamlessly with your laptop, work computer, or gaming PC, assuming there's extremely low latency.

Edit: to be clear, when using this with something like BigScreen I'm not asserting that you would use the Oculus Go like a Rift or Vive to play VR games, rather you would be playing your PC games on a giant effing screen in a virtual space or theater. It's pretty neat.

I could see that. But for me personally, 200 dollars to watch Netflix on a grainy LCD screen is just not appealing.

Not to shit all over the idea or anything, but I feel like this is another swing and a miss for me as far as VR goes. Still looking for the affordable headset that has actual games/apps that are worth the time and money.

AmyS

That would be the Santa Cruz device, which is also self-contained with inside-out tracking and more power. It will definitely be more expensive and it's coming out later. Check out the Oculus Connect thread for details.

There are 4 tiers now:
-Samsung Gear VR (mobile VR)
-Oculus Go (entry level self-contained VR device with probably similar capabilities of Gear but ergonomically better with other unique hardware features)
-Santa Cruz (higher end self-contained wireless headset with inside-out tracking and touch-like controllers)
-Oculus Rift (highest quality, PC powered headset, no sign of gen 2 yet but they're updating the user experience/software a lot)

This is interesting.

Hoping for Rift 2 in 2019 and then the kind of VR that Michael Abrash talked about last year that would take 5 years to bring about (re: ~2021) with 4K per eye and 240 Hz foveated rendering.

Edit: From Oculus Connect 3, last year.

Gestault

I always hope units like this will have optional input jacks, so if you did have a higher-end PC, you could use it as a basic-ass headset for that content.

N.A

Banned
If there is no positional tracking then it's pointless. It will just be GearVR/Daydream without using your phone with a limited store.

Seiru

Banned
Need to know the specs as I don't see how they get a processor as fast as the Gear VR for that price though.

Lenses might be better, but what about innards?

That's the open question. Presumably the performance per dollar will be higher than a phone though, considering all the extra overhead.

BizzyBum

Geez, the amount of green that first poster will see in here... lol

So this has no wires whatsoever? That's definitely a key step to make VR better. The graphics will take a hit, but that's next on the agenda, better resolution / graphics while continuing to make a smaller and more comfortable headset.

Holy FUCK that first post

It's not just specs that are missing from the OP summary, and presumably the announcement, but the whole question of what ecosystem this plugs into. Do developers have to build a version targeting this device specifically and distribute it through the Oculus store? If so, good luck. I wouldn't touch a niche product in a closed ecosystem with a ten-foot pole, but perhaps that's how they're hoping to subsidize the price.
I'm wondering this too, what is this headset for? I'd be down as hell with a $200 headset if it worked on PC/Mac but I can't imagine this does, where would the video source come from, a wireless connection to your computer? If it's not for phones, does it somehow connect to your TV to stream Netflix or Xbox games? Is it its own unique platform where it'll have games and apps downloaded to what I assume would be onboard storage?

Edit: And right after I hit post the answer is of course the post above mine. So it's Gear VR without needing a phone to plug into it. Not.. not for me then. Someday I'll get to join everyone in the VR playground ):

Top Bottom