• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift DK2 Thread

Just got my shipping confirmation!
Quick question, if a game hasn't updated for DK2, will it still function as if I were DK1? Will resolution go to 1080p?

Kilrathi

Just got my shipping confirmation!
Quick question, if a game hasn't updated for DK2, will it still function as if I were DK1? Will resolution go to 1080p?

If the demo/game hasn't been compiled with the updated SDK (0.3.X or higher) then no.

There are multiple incompatibilities both in hardware protocols and SDK. Devs REALLY need to update and recompile their existing games to 0.3 as soon as it become official. This will probably require a bit of code refactoring to make the game 0.3 compliant. Games ported to 0.3 can be run both on DK1 and DK2 with the caveat that on DK1 you will only get neck-modeling while the same build on DK2 will have full position tracking. Older games compiled with 0.2.5 will not run on DK2. They will probably not crash, but hardware negotiation will fail and the app will not be displayed properly or have any head tracking.
From the oculus forums

Profound sadness. I hope that Aaahhhh for the awesome is usable, as well as Half Life 2 VR. Those are the two main ones.

Oh yeah and Radial G but I know that's coming.

Bebpo

Banned
Got a shipping confirmation!

What's the first stuff I should try out on it to blow me away? Never tried VR before.

harSon

Banned
12:53PM PDT order time and I already have my tracking number!

I thought for sure I wouldn't get it until next month, but looks like I'll have it in a few days.

Shipping to Chicago btw.

Yeah, I'm surprised. I ordered mine at 1:18PM PDT and mine has shipped as well. I was convinced I wouldn't be receiving it for a while.

I'm in San Jose, CA

RCSI

This just arrived on my doorstep (Ordered 9:06AM, Southern California).

JQ2zVnv.jpg

Now to make sure everything is in working order.

Blizzard

Banned
This just arrived on my doorstep (Ordered 9:06AM, Southern California).

Now to make sure everything is in working order.
Don't forget to check for any software / driver / firmware setup required first! If anyone knows where the most up-to-date instructions are, I'd love to have them ready for next week.

samwattsVR

Neo Member
The new Technolust Demo doesn't run through Oculus Runtime's Direct HMD mode for me. It shows up on my monitor but not my Rift for some reason. And I couldn''t get monitor mode working at all for any demo.

AND for some god damn reason the Radial G demo rar file refuses to extract, saying it's corrupted. So both were a bust this morning lol. WIll keep trying tonight and over the weekend though.

Check the known issues on our ever-expanding blog post about v1.2 SP demo and DK2:
http://radial-g.com/?p=501

Soi-Fong

Got a UPS shipping confirmation as well as a tracking number for my 10:03 AM PDT order.

Tracking number doesn't work yet though.

Edit: Chicago btw.

Soi-Fong

Ok so as far as I know. The demos that are DK2 ready so far are:

Tuscany
Elite:Dangerous (When Standard Beta hits on 7/29)
Unreal Couch Knights
Radial-G (?)
Technolust (?)
DCS 1.2.9
Lunar Flight (?)
Kokiri Forest v 2.4

RCSI

When the DK2 was connected, Windows (or some other software) went into a frenzy because I was running dual monitors so launching demos would hang the system. Rather unexpected, but an easy fix by disconnecting my other monitor.

YuShtink

When the DK2 was connected, Windows (or some other software) went into a frenzy because I was running dual monitors so launching demos would hang the system. Rather unexpected, but an easy fix by disconnecting my other monitor.

Do you have Oculus Runtime installed? If so, make sure you're on Direct HMD mode to avoid the multiple monitors game.

Donnie

Got to admit its a bit galling to see so many people who ordered at 12-1pm getting shipping confirmations while my 9:13am order sits on processing.

Hale-XF11

Got to admit its a bit galling to see so many people who ordered at 12-1pm getting shipping confirmations while my 9:13am order sits on processing.

My 9:15am order is still in processing as well. I'd be lying if I said I'm not feeling pretty anxious right now.

YuShtink

Yea it's tough I know that feel. With DK1 I had to sit around for WEEKS while EU/Asia people who ordered MONTHS after me were getting theirs. It was torture.

Kilrathi

So basically, the latest SDK breaks Unreal compatibility?

Looks like it, I will check it out once the DK2 gets in my hand, I ordered my unit late on the 19th of march due to GDC.

If anyone would like to take a look at a demo I got one running in UE4.3, I can send you a link to it via PM, it was playable at Pax east this year if anyone was there.

RCSI

My 9:15am order is still in processing as well. I'd be lying if I said I'm not feeling pretty anxious right now.

Think about it like this, nothing works outside of two official Oculus Rift demos and Kokiri Forest demo (with Oculus Runtime installed). So you are not missing much now.

Yes, UE4 compatibility is broken. I'm attempting the work around for making it work though without uninstalling 0.4 Runtime, so I will report back once I make it work...somehow.

Kilrathi

Yes, UE4 compatibility is broken. I'm attempting the work around for making it work though without uninstalling 0.4 Runtime, so I will report back once I make it work...somehow.

Here the works around that was just posted on the OR forums
Hey guys.

As many of you recently figured out DK2 and UE4 4.3 do not work together if Oculus Runtime 0.4 is installed.

We apologize for the mess. I want to confirm that UE4 4.3 is indeed DK2-ready. The problem is the new 0.4 Runtime that unfortunately is incompatible with 0.3-based apps for now. We are working on resolving this issue right now, as well as preparing a new integration of UE4 and Oculus SDK 0.4.

As a workaround for now - you should not install 0.4 Runtime while you use UE4 4.3. Instead, you'll need to install a DK2 camera driver, download link:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.ocul...+Installer.exe
(Note: you will need to uninstall this driver later when you decide to switch to 0.4).

If you already have installed 0.4 Runtime then you may either uninstall it and install the camera driver from above, or you need to disable the OVRService by performing the following steps:
1) Remove or Disable the "Oculus Service Scheduler" from the Windows Task Scheduler: "Start" button -> "Task Scheduler"
2) Switch display mode to Extended mode or uninstall the Oculus Display Driver;
3) Remove "OculusConfigUtil.exe" from Programs -> Startup (For example, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup).
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=11044&p=145877

Blizzard

Banned
I was planning on installing the latest SDK version, so maybe I'll just wait to get a UE4 subscription until the compatibility is fixed.

RCSI

Gave up on trying to get UE4 to work with the DK2 and tried out the recently DK2 compatible Spirited Away Boiler Room and Totoro demo. Absolutely amazing! To think what most demos will look like without a screen door effect for the CV1.

Now to pick up the pace on learning UE4.

Soi-Fong

Just dropped 30 for the Tecnolust beta. I've only seen videos, but have never actually tried it on the Rift so excited as heck! If I'm lucky, I guess my DK2 will come around Wed or Thursday.

I received mine without ever getting a shipping notification. I think it still says pending. 9:12 am order.

My early impression is the screen door effect is still pretty bad (never tried dk1). Probably need 4k for cv1. 2k minimum.

Krejlooc

Banned
So, because I was posting before in this thread about buttkickers, I figured I'd cross post into this thread:

ok ok, this is incredible. So there is a club in Houston where me and some guys run our Oculus Rift developers meetings out of called TX/RX. It's a giant warehouse/labratory that is filled with tools and equipment that is basically an engineers wet dream. A fleet of hundreds of 3D printers, welders, laser and water cutters, metal benders, etc. Basically, any sort of ultra expensive, high grade equipment you need to make virtually anything you can think of, it exists there. If you are a member, you can use all this equipment 24/7, and they offer classes to teach you how to use this stuff, and the membership is so big and diverse that you can always find people willing to help you on a project.

So, because we just moved our club to this place for our meetings, we were conversing with their president and he was showing us the ins and outs of the space, when I spotted something mindblowing in the distance at one guy's station:

Untitled.png

That's a G27 and a racing seat attached to a metal frame they've created. Neat, but what's amazing is the seat has hydraulic lifts attached to it powered by XSim. It's a full motion seat. I asked the dude how much it cost to build - next to nothing if I have the seat and wheel already. I asked how much time it takes to build - apparently they built it during the welding class in 1 day, it's a snap. I asked if he could help me do it, and he said it wouldn't be a problem.

So my transducer seat has now become a full motion rig. I am fucking hyped out of my mind.

Soi-Fong

I received mine without ever getting a shipping notification. I think it still says pending. 9:12 am order.

My early impression is the screen door effect is still pretty bad (never tried dk1). Probably need 4k for cv1. 2k minimum.

Yeah.. That's not happening for CV1. Running anything in 4k and keeping above 90 fps.. That'll take good hardware and that's not happening in the near future. Expect 1600p max for the CV1.

Anyway, about the black smear effect. Can DK2 Gaffers comment? I'm hearing impressions ranging from "barely noticeable and not bad" to "breaks the headset completely."

Krejlooc

Banned
You should post a work log on that.. I'd be interested on how it's done.

Without a doubt. This weekend I'm installing the transducer in the seat, but it might be a while before I actually build the motion rig. I'm documenting every step of the way for sure, though.

YuShtink

Yeah.. That's not happening for CV1. Running anything in 4k and keeping above 90 fps.. That'll take good hardware and that's not happening in the near future. Expect 1600p max for the CV1.

Anyway, about the black smear effect. Can DK2 Gaffers comment? I'm hearing impressions ranging from "barely noticeable and not bad" to "breaks the headset completely."

Hate to say this but it seems like it can be pretty bad depending on the demo. It was only prevalent in one tiny little area in the Tuscany demo, but I just got out of Spirited Away and My Friend Totoro, and both of those have pretty nasty black smearing in numerous places. In between the pipes in the starting hallway of Spirited Away, and the spaces between the trees in Totoro are especially affected spots where it is impossible not to notice and is quite strange and distracting. People are definitely going to have to make some adjustments on the software side or something going forward.

Also getting a lot of screen tearing in those demos even using Direct HMD mode. Does it not use V-sync in Direct HMD mode or something? I thought it would for sure. Probably just my computer chugging below 75fps that is the issue there though. Planning on getting an 880 this fall. But right now what sucks is that there are no GFX quality options available at all when you run through Direct HMD mode. Can't change the Rift's refresh rate, can't change quality settings, can't choose resolutions. It just runs at I guess highest quality by default. Kind of frustrating.

Soi-Fong

Hate to say this but it seems like it can be pretty bad depending on the demo. It was only prevalent in one tiny little area in the Tuscany demo, but I just got out of Spirited Away and My Friend Totoro, and both of those have pretty nasty black smearing in numerous places. In between the pipes in the starting hallway of Spirited Away, and the spaces between the trees in Totoro are especially affected spots where it is impossible not to notice and is quite strange and distracting. People are definitely going to have to make some adjustments on the software side or something going forward.

Also getting a lot of screen tearing in those demos even using Direct HMD mode. Does it not use V-sync in Direct HMD mode or something? I thought it would for sure. Probably just my computer chugging below 75fps that is the issue there though. Planning on getting an 880 this fall. But right now what sucks is that there are no GFX quality options available at all when you run through Direct HMD mode. Can't change the Rift's refresh rate, can't change quality settings, can't choose resolutions. It just runs at I guess highest quality by default. Kind of frustrating.

May I ask what graphics care you're running? Also, are you getting judder? I thought Palmer said to also try to always have V-Sync on? Have you tried making profiles and actually forcing it on?

Edit: I'm extremely worried about how Elite is gonna look on the DK2. It takes place in space. I can't imagine that sort of smearing.

Edit 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMCix1JgRM4

A video of the smearing. It's completely noticeable on top of the vertical pipes.

YuShtink

May I ask what graphics care you're running? Also, are you getting judder? I thought Palmer said to also try to always have V-Sync on? Have you tried making profiles and actually forcing it on?

Edit: I'm extremely worried about how Elite is gonna look on the DK2. It takes place in space. I can't imagine that sort of smearing.

Edit 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMCix1JgRM4

A video of the smearing. It's completely noticeable on top of the vertical pipes.

watch

I'm only on a 570 so I'm in major need of an upgrade. Sadly it's much more noticeable than in that video when you are wearing the Rift. It looks like shadow ghosts emanating and growing out of darkness. It's almost cool lol if it wasn't so distracting. In a horror game it could almost actually be a neat effect. It's a shame because everything else looks so grounded and near perfect.

Oh and not sure where I even saw it, but I read someone say that Elite looked great, and scenes that are predominantly dark don't seem to have the issue. It's much more noticeable when you're looking at a patch of black surrounded by vibrant color. But at the same time, Spirited Away starts in a mostly dark area and I see it everywhere, so I really have no idea what to think.

Soi-Fong

I'm only on a 570 so I'm in major need of an upgrade. Sadly it's much more noticeable than in that video when you are wearing the Rift. It looks like shadow ghosts emanating and growing out of darkness. It's almost cool lol if it wasn't so distracting. In a horror game it could almost actually be a neat effect. It's a shame because everything else looks so grounded and near perfect.

Ah I see. Thanks for the quick responses man. Guess I'll see when my DK2 comes. The Boiler Room demo is what I've been talking about with my sister since she loved the movie and I really want her to experience it.

I guess at least, for the Boiler Room demo, I'm not too miffed since the meat of the demo is outside of the beginning part.

YuShtink

Ah I see. Thanks for the quick responses man. Guess I'll see when my DK2 comes. The Boiler Room demo is what I've been talking about with my sister since she loved the movie and I really want her to experience it.

I guess at least, for the Boiler Room demo, I'm not too miffed since the meat of the demo is outside of the beginning part.

Yea once I get into the actual room with the little dudes the issue is little to none.

samwattsVR

Neo Member
Ok so as far as I know. The demos that are DK2 ready so far are:

Tuscany
Elite:Dangerous (When Standard Beta hits on 7/29)
Unreal Couch Knights
Radial-G (?)
Technolust (?)
DCS 1.2.9
Lunar Flight (?)
Kokiri Forest v 2.4

Our Radial-G v1.2 build is ready but not using SDK 0.4.0 yet. A big of a faff to get working but we managed it with our DK2 when it arrived yesterday. We just plugged the DK2 in, set it to be portrait in GeForce drivers, didn't use the Oculus Config tool, didn't plug the camera in and it worked. Others have issues, workarounds here: http://radial-g.com/?p=501

We're currently moving office and are development environment and internet-less until next week so will look at getting an updated build ready ASAP then.

Soi-Fong

Anybody here wondering how in the hell was this "true black smearing" not reported by websites covering E3. This would have been clearly noticeable in a game like the Aliens demo and even the SAO demo.

YuShtink

Anybody here wondering how in the hell was this "true black smearing" not reported by websites covering E3. This would have been clearly noticeable in a game like the Aliens demo and even the SAO demo.

Makes me hope its some sort of software issue because there is NO way someone wouldn't have mentioned it. Someone on the dev forums put it perfectly:

"It's almost as if there are shadows being cast from a visible light source."

That's really what it looks like. But the angle and direction of the shadows follow your head movements of course, which makes it even stranger.

All this being said, the well lit areas are just awesome. I was messing around in the desk scene and tuscany again (they are still the only two demos so far that run flawlessly for me) and it's incredibly realistic when that low persistence is running smooth, my goodness.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Woah what's up with the shallow fov? I don't remember noticing the edge of the screen in DK 1 as much as I am now. It gives me a very claustrophobic feeling.

Man

Can anyone confirm if it works with Unreal Engine 4.3 out of the box? It doesn't use the new drivers, config tools etc (which sounds like the source of the problem?) but it's supposed to support DK2 with its pre-0.3.3 lib.

YuShtink

I got Kokiri Forest running flawlessly through extended monitor mode. The Great Deku Tree has never looked better. Weird that it runs perfectly that way when I get constant screen tearing in direct HMD mode. But being able to poke around with the positional tracking is a blast. Crouching down and inspecting the spinning blue rupee was extremely cool too.

On a random note this was the first time I messed around with clipping my head through objects. Kind of a cool feeling in a geeky sense, being able to physically poke your head through the boundaries of the virtual world at will lol.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
So far my first impression is not that great, they have a lot work on before cv. 1.

1: got nauseous after about 30 minutes
2. With glasses the whole thing is very cumbersome
3. Screen door is still there but better.
4. For some reason I found dk1 more immersive, the shallow fov is killing the illusion.

I'll give it a few days but I'm not sure I want to work on something that's going to make me sick :/

riflen

So far my first impression is not that great, they have a lot work on before cv. 1.

1: got nauseous after about 30 minutes
2. With glasses the whole thing is very cumbersome
3. Screen door is still there but better.
4. For some reason I found dk1 more immersive, the shallow fov is killing the illusion.

I'll give it a few days but I'm not sure I want to work on something that's going to make me sick :/

Shallow FOV? Are you sure you've configured the IPD accurately?

Top Bottom