• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Old-fashioned" doughnuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth C

You guys can do what you want, but these are the only donuts I'm putting in my mouth hole:

dsc001992.jpg

Spalding's Bakery in Lexington KY. The line might look like this.

line.jpg

Most doughnuts I see that are labelled "old-fashioned" are glazed cake doughnuts, but not the same as sour-cream doughnuts.

Personally my favorite doughnuts would be yeast based, with no glaze. The doughnuts at American Chinese restaurants/buffets are so good. Nice chewy texture, savory flavor to the dough, and a coating of granulated sugar for just enough sweetness.

LKhfVTg.jpg

Crullers are my second favorite, though I prefer them without any glaze.

Regiruler

Cake doughnuts can suck it. Yeast doughnuts are the only way to go.

Impossible. I can appreciate the sticky bun, but I had not realized those were yeast donuts. Cake has such an infinitely fuller flavor that yeast completely fails by comparison. You can pile all the toppings you want, but it will still feel empty inside.

Cake > Yeast

Seth C

Impossible. I can appreciate the sticky bun, but I had not realized those were yeast donuts. Cake has such an infinitely fuller flavor that yeast completely fails by comparison. You can pile all the toppings you want, but it will still feel empty inside.

Cake > Yeast

Not all of their doughnuts are yeast, but their basic glazed and chocolate glazed are. Trust me, they are absolutely full of flavor. They haven't been in business since 1929 for nothing.

Christine

Whoa. This is weird, that's my photo and site, haha. So crazy you cited it. We're redesigning now so bare with the design.

Onto donuts. My favorite is listed on there, chocolate glazed buttermilk. We say "cake" and "buttermilk" pretty interchangeably here in California so maybe it's not specific to the northeast.

It's a really good photo of a plain old-fashioned donut.

I'm also in California. I think it's just a consequence of donut selection. If the only old-fashioned the shops have is a glazed sour cream, an old-fashioned is a sour cream donut. If there aren't any old-fashioned donuts, a less sweet cake donut is probably the closest approximation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my two joint favourites are

- Mr Donuts old fashioned - looks like the 'cake' version in this thread.
- Freshly cooked ring doughnuts from the pier in Brighton - no sugar please mr doughnut man, just fresh from the conveyor.

Soybean

As Christine says, both types of doughnuts under discussion are cake doughnuts (as opposed to yeast-raised). One's just plain, smooth and generally drier inside while the other has that craggy exterior and super moist inside.

I guess it hadn't occurred to me that shape was the defining characteristic since I've only seen that shape in the sour cream variety.

I'm from Michigan and I've never heard anyone ever refer to "old-fashioned" doughnuts. I'd just call the two OP posted plain doughnuts or sour-cream doughnuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom