• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old online multiplayer console games?

Do you play old console online games?

• Yes, PS3

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Yes, 360

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Yes, even older

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 60.0%

• Total voters

Portugeezer

Was watching Mystic's yearly video about PS3 online games which are still active, one of the community member for Tomb Raider online says most people on older games tend to play on PS3.

Makes sense as it's free so probably a lot of kids or maybe people from poorer countries end up playing on PS3 for free.

Hell, I couldn't find a lobby on burnout paradise remastered for the PS4...

Anyone still play older console games online?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Depends what you mean. I play Diablo 2 resurrected. Very old game but with a fresh coat of paint.

Beechos

I wouldn't even if I could the old ps3/xbox 360 ui are so damn slow. Pc would be the only place I would play a old game online. I'm sure there's still a shit load of people play star craft, war craft, counterstrike etc on pc still.

SpiceRacz

Still mess around with Destiny 1 on Xbox. There's a surprising amount of people online too. Phantasy Star Blue Burst still has an active community as well.

Coconutt

I don't play old console multiplayer games but remember having a lot of fun with the mass effect 3 multiplayer, one of the few times where adding multiplayer where no one asked for it worked, the multiplayer in mass effect 3 was top tier.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Before selling my PS3, I used to do this occasionally. I was playing Black Ops 2 and Battlefield 4. It was pretty cool to see that I could still turn on my PS3 and play online whenever I wanted, even years later. Now, since my PS Plus membership has expired, I can't play any of my PS4 games online. Just for this reason alone, PC is superior to consoles for me. Damn those who make online gaming paid.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I still fire up PSO BB (private server on PC) from time to time, just for that gut punch of nostalgia

81e09b30cfa7a24c5c0e80785c3b8f57.gif

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Bad Company 1 via Xbox BC. Servers may be dead now though.
If you want to play 7th gen games online, I suggest looking up RCPS3 support. Lots of games have been added now and communities play through Discord.

rm082e

I don't go back to old games very often. I have a handful of favorites that I'll keep going back to over the years, but they're all single player games. I bought the PC versions for convenience.

My son (12) however really loves LittleBigPlanet. He asked for a PS3 for Christmas the year before last year so he could go back and play the first two games. When the servers for LBP3 went down, he did some digging and asked me to help him install RPCS3 so he could get LBP2 running and access the community supported online stuff. I helped a little bit, but he did most of the work to get it all setup and working. It's nice to see "love finds a way" for these older games.

Codes 208

I still fire up PSO BB (private server on PC) from time to time, just for that gut punch of nostalgia

81e09b30cfa7a24c5c0e80785c3b8f57.gif
Man, I miss PSU

Its funny how the “demo” version was just basically the full game but with a level cap and a monthly level wipe (that they gave up on 2 years prior to its discontinuation)

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Man that video is cool as hell. Always some dedicated dudes sticking around with the games they love. Especially that guy that discovered Tomb Raider online only months back. And nothing is as impressive as MGO fans not only reverse engineering and reviving MGO but also continue to develop the game where Konami stopped. I have a hard time seeing most hyper-monetized and hype-dependant online games of today creating the same dedicated groups.

Portugeezer

Man that video is cool as hell. Always some dedicated dudes sticking around with the games they love. Especially that guy that discovered Tomb Raider online only months back. And nothing is as impressive as MGO fans not only reverse engineering and reviving MGO but also continue to develop the game where Konami stopped. I have a hard time seeing most hyper-monetized and hype-dependant online games of today creating the same dedicated groups.
Today a game like this would die because of the lack of progression, no battlepass, etc etc.

Three

Currently no, but there was a time in the late XB1/PS4 gen when me and my brother would boot up the Origins Zombie map on Black Ops 2 on a PS3. It would chug along at such a bad slideshow framerate that it felt like I had been cured of a disability going back to a PC/PS4 after, but it was still lots of fun.

Skimmed through the video to see if anybody still played Warhawk. I remember you could set up your own dedicated server in that game so surprised it wasn't featured.

Last edited:

Robochobo

I sometimes hop on Fable 2 to help people with money or collecting the hero dolls. I still have an older save that me and my younger brother used to play on back in 2009. I still log into that once in a blue moon just for the memories.

Top Bottom