• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On this day, 8 years ago, the world lost an amazing man... Mr. Steve Irwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh, can you believe we've been 8 years without Steve Irwin? Maybe you don't recognize the name, as he was often better known as The Crocodile Hunter. You know, this guy:

sxzCeLS.jpg

Anyway, I loved his shows as a kid. To this day, I think about his passing from time-to-time and think, "damn, what a cool dude." He's survived by his wife and daughter who have carried on his legacy of animal care, education, and conservation. So, I know this is a short post, but if you liked Steve Irwin and/or miss his personality/show, share your thoughts here.

As a final tribute, here's a song a local hip-hop group made for Steve Irwin around a year or so after he was killed by a whack sucka stingray.

Fuck stingrays.

Booshka

Definitely my favorite Wildlife TV personality, dude was a champion for conservation and habitat protection. Extremely entertaining and affable, loved his show, was really bummed out when he died.

I was always fascinated by his solo living out in the Wild when he was young, when he would just set up a static shot and capture crocs with only the company of his dog. Dude is amazing.

C4Lukins

I always liked that guy. But he was nutz. It is similar to the documentary Grizzly Man. Wild animals are not to be played with.

He died filming a show titled "Worlds Deadliest". Stingrays aren't normally aggressive but this one was on steroids. It was like 8 feet long. People like Bill Nye, Mr Rogers, Levar Burton, Steve Irwin are awesome educators and entertainers. We're lucky to have known so many.

jesse1996

Neo Member
What a great Aussie legend. Was at his park the day that he died, the whole place seemed miserable later that afternoon.

I used to watch his show religiously as a kid.

My favorite is still the one when he goes to the Komodo islands with the dragons. Friggin awesome guy.

I feel like Steve loved animals too much to even hate the Stingray that killed him. I feel like it's more respectful of his legacy to appreciate Stingrays for what they are.

Ah I was being sarcastic. The only animals I actually dislike are mosquitoes and wasps. Maybe just fuck that one stingray though.

He died filming a show titled "Worlds Deadliest". Stingrays aren't normally aggressive but this one was on steroids. It was like 8 feet long. People like Bill Nye, Mr Rogers, Levar Burton, Steve Irwin are awesome educators and entertainers. We're lucky to have known so many.

The stringray filming wasn't for the show they were working on about deadly sea creatures. They were out looking for sharks and didn't find shit. So, out of boredom they decided to shoot the stingrays figuring they could use the footage for something else.

Kind of crazy to think that if they had actually found the deadly creatures they were looking for, he'd probably still be here.

Curiocity

I was crushed when this happened. Still am in a way. Absolute legend. One day I'll make the trek to Australia Zoo and pay some respects.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Still one of the more bizarre celebrity deaths that's happened in my lifetime. I miss the dude, he was fun.

And he'd probably still be around if he hadn't removed the barb from his body.

Cameraman has debunked this. He was stabbed multiple times, and there was nothing to remove.

Mr Lyons denied reports that a barb had stuck in Irwin's chest and he pulled it out.

"It's a jagged barb and it went through his chest like a hot knife through butter," he said.

"He had a two-inch-wide injury over his heart with blood and fluid coming out of it and we had to get him back to the boat as fast as we can.

Link.

I remember being so upset when this guy died. Someone who was so giving and actually doing something to fix things instead of being a mouthpiece and just talking about it like most people.

Spaghetti

eight years, huh? feels like longer.

good dude though. cool programmes, seemed like a nice person, kind of a pop culture figure in a lot of ways too.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Come on dude...

To be fair, very few people know. I thought that I knew for eight years, but I was way off.
I'm shocked that it took this long for the story to come out. The rumors made him look like a dumbass.

devonodev

I still find it crazy that a stingray killed him, probably one of the least dangerous creatures he's been around. He seemed like such a good guy on TV, and from what I hear in person too.

Zoe

Man, I thought it was more than 8 years ago.

Thought I had stopped watching South Park long before that.

tuna_love

Banned
I still find it crazy that a stingray killed him, probably one of the least dangerous creatures he's been around. He seemed like such a good guy on TV, and from what I hear in person too.
My dads nursery use to sell his reptile farm plants and shit when we lived on the sunshine coast. He swore a lot more in real life than on tv lol
Edit: I mean zoo. He didn't eat reptiles as far as I know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom