• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Scorpio releases, will Microsoft drop the Xbox One branding from game cases?

Ushay

The hardware will belong to the 'Xbox Family' of devices, not Xbox One as many are pointing out. So this means complete compatibility with peripherals, previous gen games etc. They stated there won't be any exclusives, but I think this will only apply to the first 2 years of the hardware release. After which I think they will allow development of only PC/Scorpio (this is my opinion of course).

In terms of name I can see them separate the device from One, and go for something that defines its premium design and specs like 'alpha' or 'plus' .. Hopefully something simple.

Allforce

Xbox One Elite?

Designates an upgraded machine plus MS seems to like that word as a descriptor of their premium Xbox devices. We had an Elite 360, Elite Controller, just carry on with it. Slap a "Better On Xbox One Elite!" Logo on every game case going forward

I'm actually shocked so many people think this is going to be a brand new console with a totally new name. There's no way they're naming it anything other than Xbox One *Insert Word/Letter Here*

nillapuddin

Xbox One Panos and Spencer double team XL Elite Pro

@allforce

I own an Xbox One Elite already

xbox-one-elite-bundle1.png

Bgamer90

Banned
I was honestly thinking the same way -- Just have all of the cases state "Xbox" and then state the consoles that the game is compatible with on the back of the case.

Breakage

If Scorpio is indeed part of the Xbox One family then MS have their hands tied. Whatever it is called it certainly won't be a name that rolls off the tongue.
I reckon Scorpio will be unveiled as the Xbox One Elite.
Dropping the "One" and simply calling it Xbox would risk Wii U-esque confusion. How would they unveil it?. Hey, guys this is the NEW XBOX. MS are stuck with Xbox One until they move away from the platform completely.

They will most likely phase the One moniker eventually, but Scorpio still needs to be a Xbox One, to show consumers confidence when they say no one get's left behind.

After we go through Scorpio, and perhaps the next thing and people are no longer scared of new consoles releasing at a higher cadence they will be able to change it to just Xbox or whatever sub brand they chose without having people flipping over.

Good OP and something we may see at Scorpio release.

I noticed this on the Scorpio website. http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/project-scorpio

Compatible with all your Xbox One games and accessories.

Is this a hint that the 'Xbox One' is the OG, Elite, and S? Could this mean the Scorpio does drop the 'One'?

I admit I am reaching a bit here, but it would not surprise me if the Scorpio does become Xbox ___ with the ___ being a variant on Pro/Elite.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I was honestly thinking the same way -- Just have all of the cases state "Xbox" and then state the consoles that the game is compatible with on the back of the case.

Seems to be the logical way going forward.

Not sure why there's so many posts about the name of the console. This thread is about the game cases and what branding they'll carry post Scorpio.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
MS seem to like having a letter designation to new models of consoles

Xbox 360
Xbox 360 S
Xbox 360 E

Xbox One
Xbox One S

So Scorpio will probably be just a new letter. They could go Xbox One Pro, Xbox One Elite, or my favorite, Xbox One Ultra.
Xbox One U?

Aha

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN

Scorpio is an Xbox One

Microsoft has specifically said Scorpio will be an Xbox One

The only indication it will not be called an Xbox One is SPECULATION by (non?)fans

By the time Scorpio arrives, Microsoft could see a user base of 30M Xbox One consoles shipped or perhaps more!

There is value left in the Xbox One brand and you have not seen the last of it regardless of the success of the PlayStation 4

Top Bottom