• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Security |OT| Staying Safe on The Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

Security is key. With so many people out there wanting to take advantage of others, you must be knowledgeable on how to protect your online identity in order to limit the chances of fraud or theft. Below you can find many tips and tricks to help you start out. Hopefully with the input of others, this will be the go to security thread (not that there's any other alternative).

General/Obvious Stuff
Below are some very simple/obvious tips for beginners on the net. It's unlikely that anyone here is unaware of these but if there are any novices reading, they may come in handy.
  • You're not the 1,000,000th visitor to fr33giftz.com. Don't click on any competition ads. Better yet, don't click on any ads as they're likely to install cookies or other crap that you don't need on your computer
  • Try not to use any identifying details on the net. Feel free to use fake details
  • Don't go on sites that seem sketchy
  • Don't go downloading everything you find on the internet. Try to stick to popular/well known sites and only download things that you need
  • Sharing pictures of yourself online is all good but be careful. Yes they can be a security issue but I've put this here as it can be more of a nuisance. The same goes for things you write. When you put something on the internet it can be very tough to completely eradicate
  • If you don't want people to easily track you down, don't use the same username on every site you sign up to. Also, hide your email address everywhere possible

Passwords
A strong password is the key to security. Below you can find some tips on how to be password wise.

Making Strong Passwords
There are many great guides out there on how to create strong passwords. A good starting point is this or this.

The Best Passwords
In general, try to use both uppercase and lowercase characters as well as symbols and numbers. Make sure you keep your password no shorter than 9 characters. 12 characters is optimal. It's best to try and use non dictionary words (Password@01 isn't secure). Smart hackers will have all the common pass phrases checked instantly so passwords like the example earlier would be cracked within seconds at most.

Password Managers
Password managers are a God send. If you want truly secure passwords for each site you visit, you'll need to use one. All password managers have a password generating tool and it's recommended you use it for very important accounts. Yes, it can be annoying typing them out on foreign computers (you have auto fill on your own computer) but they can help a lot.

LastPass is a brilliant choice that I personally use. It has plenty of options to play around with and you don't have to worry about not having access to your passwords on other computers as there are mobile apps to use and the option to log into your account from anywhere to see all of your passwords.

You can also check out KeePass and 1Password.

Just remember not to forget your master password and be sure to use something secure! If you want even more protection, LastPass offers the chance to add another layer of verification for a price. This may be an annoyance but if you're interested, click here. There's also a free second layer grid authentication system. You can find more about it from their site but it's pretty annoying to use and can be compromised as it's stored on their server.

Anti-Virus Programs
NOD32 [PAID]
A great light weight anti-virus. Tried it before and it didn’t slow my computer down at all and it worked great.

Kaspersky [PAID]
Another very popular anti-virus that offers a lot of protection for most things.

Microsoft Security Essentials [FREE]
My personal recommendation. Not beefy but enough to live on. Completely free and works fine. Surprisingly doesn't have the usual Microsoft bloat you see on their other programs.

AVG [FREE]
The most popular free anti-virus. Not perfect but if you don't want to pay and don't want to rely on the protection provided by Windows, this is one of the best options. Be ready for lots of false negatives though (more than other programs at least).

Avast [FREE]
Never personally tried it but it's fairly popular. I would stick with one of the above though.

Avira [FREE/PAID]
Another popular free anti-virus recommended by a poster in this thread.

There are plenty more anti-virus programs out there that you can check out but the above are the best in the business. Click here to find out more.

Anti-virus programs are great but they're not perfect. Be sure to keep them up to date (they usually auto update) and remember to use common sense (see General/Obvious Stuff).

WARNING: If you want to replace an anti-virus program, make sure you completely delete all traces of it before installing a new one as this can cause some serious issues. Google for specific removal instructions for your anti-virus.

Anti-Malware Programs
Malwarebytes [FREE]
One of the most popular anti-malware programs out there. Definitely recommend this

CCleaner [FREE]
Not really an anti-malware program but this helps keep your computer clean from unwanted cookies. It's a nice addition to your protection.

Securing Your Files
If you have sensitive files you don't want others getting a hold of, you can encrypt them so that they can only be accessed with a password.

TrueCrypt is a free open source piece of software that allows you to encrypt your files. Probably the most popular option out there and the most flexible.

AxCrypt is another option. There's a portable version to take with you incase you want to decrypt a file on a foreign computer. This allows the decryption of single files or folders. Less flexible than TrueCrypt but may be more user friendly.

HTTPS
Several sites offer a secure connection that you may not be aware of. No idea what HTTPS is? Click here to find out more.

Don't want to enable the feature for each site separately? Try this Firefox extension or this if you're a Chrome user.

Facebook
Enable HTTPS
Go to Account > Account settings > Account security

This helps protect yourself from hackers trying to intercept your connection with Facebook. However, it may also stop certain applications from working.

Privacy Settings
There are many, many settings to play around with for your account. Sadly, most people neglect these and leave their information open to the public.

Got to Account > Privacy settings > Customise settings

Edit all options to your liking to help keep your information safe. To make this easier, it is recommended to make several groups for your friends (e.g. acquaintances, close friends and family). That way you can personalise your privacy settings so that certain groups only see certain things. It is highly recommended to make no information available for everyone to see. If you must, only let the public see enough information so that only your friends recognise you (e.g. your favorite tv shows).

Twitter
Enable HTTPS by going to Settings > HTTPS only

Gmail/Google Accounts
Enable HTTPS
To enable this on your gmail, go to Settings and click on 'Always use https'

Enable 2 Step Verification
2 step verification gives your google account a second layer of security so that even if a thief/hacker gets your password, they wont be able to log into your account. Click here to read more.

Google Search
Use the encrypted search engine by visiting: https://encrypted.google.com/

Steam
Pretty much all PC gamers out there are likely to have Steam installed. If you want an extra layer of security for your account, you can use a feature called 'Steam Guard'. Like Googles 2 step verification, you can only log into your account from a different computer if you have a certain key which is emailed to you. Click here for more information.

NoScript
NoScript is a firefox plugin that prevents sites from carrying out any sneaky moves. You can set it to control certain sites or to apply to everything. This can help with things like the Facebook ClickJacking spam (where you click on a link posted by a friend and it automatically spams your wall). You can check it out here.

Privoxy
Privoxy is an online proxy that helps protect your privacy. It limits the information sent to sites about you. Click here on information on how to set it up (skip the stuff about Hamachi if it's for your home computer).

Extra
General online security guide [ARTICLE]
Watch what you post online [VIDEO]

Quick Recap
  1. Install an anti-virus
  2. Install some anti-malware
  3. Don't post your real details online. Use a temporary email if you don't want to use yours
  4. Always hide your email when given the choice
  5. Use a different username for each site
  6. Use passwords that are at least 9 characters long with lower and upper case characters, symbols and numbers
  7. Don't visit dodgy sites and be smart

If there's something I've missed that you want to included, tell me. If I've made any mistakes, be sure to point them out. Hopefully this will be of help! The main aim of this thread is to provide a place for general security talk and a place to go to for the latest information.

Barrett2

This is a good idea for a thread. There is so much stuff like this I think I should probably look into, but never know how.

Enco

Updated the op.

If anyone has a google account they want secured, I highly recommend 2 step verification. I feel much safer now that I have it enabled.

Threi

notag
avira has been consistently one of the best antivirus programs avaliable for windows for a while. It should at least replace avg up there.

Threi said:
avira has been consistently one of the best antivirus programs avaliable for windows for a while. It should at least replace avg up there.

It is good. Just get learn how to get rid of the daily popups and you're good.

Enco

Mark Zuckerberg's FB has been hacked:

IT security and control firm Sophos has reminded computer users of properly protecting themselves while online after news broke that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has had his Facebook fan page hacked.

An unknown hacker broke into an account used to administer the 26-year-old internet celebrity's Facebook fan page and posted a bizarre message calling upon the firm to adopt a social cause:

"Let the hacking begin: If facebook needs money, instead of going to the banks, why doesn't Facebook let its users invest in Facebook in a social way? Why not transform Facebook into a 'social business' the way Nobel Prize winner Muhammad Yunus described it? [LINK] What do you think? #hackercup2011"
Source

Security implications of new FB messaging system:

Facebook has announced its new email service which brings together Facebook messages, instant messaging chat and SMS messages in one place. Following this news, Sophos has produced an FAQ guide to help users understand the implications for security before they sign up:

"Before signing up, users need to realise that these new features increase the attack surface on the Facebook platform, and make personal accounts all the more alluring for cybercriminals to break into," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos. "Facebook accounts will now be linked with many more people in the users' social circles - opening up new opportunities for identity fraudsters to launch attacks."

Sophos notes that cybercriminals are compromising the accounts of Facebook users, and using their accounts to spread spam messages. Spam sent via social networks can be more effective than traditional email spam, as users are more likely to open and trust a message which appears to have been sent by someone they know - one of their Facebook friends.

"Users also need to be aware that Facebook will be storing a complete archive of all of their communications with one person - this raises concerns as to how this data could be misused if it fell into the wrong hands," continued Cluley. "With this in mind, it will be critical for Facebook to implement more effective filtering mechanisms to prevent fraudsters from manipulating Facebook users into falling victim to new spams, scams and phishing attacks."

Sophos's verdict on the new system? Users will need to take greater care of the security of their Facebook account than ever before. Keeping security up-to-date on computers, policing which applications link with their Facebook profile, and choosing sensible, unique, hard-to-crack passwords will be essential.
Source

ClickJacking FB Spam:

Last night, I checked my Facebook page and noticed a strange post from a friend. The page had all the characteristics of a Facebook Clickjacking page: A link to an amusing/salacious video but in French.

When I visited the site and clicked on the video, I got a warning from NoScript.

Continued at source...
Source

Password Recovery needs to be a topic of discussion here as it is one of the easiest ways to get into someone's account.

At any time, I could develop a Facebook app and clandestinely gather the seemingly innocuous information I'd need to infiltrate an account.

Using LastPass should negate the need for password recovery; if you must enter Password Recovery info, use gibberish for the answers.

The "HTTPS Everywhere" addon for Firefox might also be a worthy candidate for recommendation. It forces HTTPS whenever it can. It's also worth noting that TrueCrypt can do full drive encryption for either your system partition or your entire drive.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'd suggest adding something like the NoScript extension to the OP. You can explicitly give specific sites permissions to run java/javascript/flash as well as provides anti-XSS protection.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
+1 for MSE - use it at work and my home PC's.
+1 for Truecrypt - use it at work on all our netbooks and laptops.

rsam87

Maybe a general tip about spam, nigerians and phishing sites?

What about router security? WPA2 encryption and all that stuff.

For free MSE is the best, not intrusive, low resource, high detection rate. I believe it usually ranks top 2-3 in detection rate from what I recall.

AVG detection rate isn't the best

Avast is nice but it has a lot of nag built in.

Avira has a friggin pop up last I tried it. It's detection is pretty good though.

Enco

ninj4junpei said:
Thanks for this thread. :) I was not aware of programs like LastPass.
You're welcome. Yup, LastPass is great.

Added NoScript. Anyone know of a good alternative for Chrome? There's NotScript but I'm not sure how well that works. Some of the reviews are iffy.

Morn

Banned
If you don't install Microsoft Security Essentials, I'm coming to your house and smashing your computer with a sledgehammer.

Enco

BitchTits

I was watching the instruction youtube video on the LastPass website - it looks a lot like FF's own password reminder, is there a difference?

Enco

BitchTits said:
I was watching the instruction youtube video on the LastPass website - it looks a lot like FF's own password reminder, is there a difference?
I'm afraid I don't follow. Are you asking if LP is the same as the password manager for FF?

If so, then you're wrong. LP allows you to access your passwords anywhere, is extremely secure and has plenty of features. If I misunderstood then I apologise.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The best way to get around issues is to not have them in the first place.

For general web browsing Firefox + NoScript is a must.

For documents, uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader if you can and use something like Fox-It Reader instead. Under Preferences>Trust Manager make sure "Enable Safe Reading Mode is checked. Under Preferences>JavaScript make sure "Enable JavaScript Actions" is unchecked.

For all around internet security (firewall, antivirus, etc) i would recommend trying Comodos internet security suite. It includes a decent auto sandbox utility and the entire package seems fairly solid.

If you get any files that you are uncertain on (something you think is a false positive, something suspicious that reads clean, etc) try using something like Jottis Malware Scan.

If you must run things that you think might be harmful use a sandboxing program like Sandboxie.

If you are using a router make sure that the user name and password is not the default. Also check to see if there are any firmware updates that address security holes. If you have a wireless router and dont use the wireless portion, disable it outright. Although encryptions like WPA2 are good, no signal is even better. Dont forget to redo name/password from default after flashing btw.

If you are serious about security do not ever do financial transactions with your standard computer. Make an Ubuntu Live CD and do your online banking through it. i have no money to steal so i dont bother but for those that are concerned (paranoid?) this is the way to go.

Thats about all off the top of my head.

Enco

water_wendi said:
If you are serious about security do not ever do financial transactions with your standard computer. Make an Ubuntu Live CD and do your online banking through it. i have no money to steal so i dont bother but for those that are concerned (paranoid?) this is the way to go.
How come?

To help stay clear of any viruses/key loggers on your Windows computer?

deadbeef

Great idea for thread; was thinking of doing it myself, but glad you did. I recommend listening to Security Now! podcast as they cover all this stuff in great detail.

Oh wow this is kind of old! Not sure how I missed it the first time!

jmdajr

deadbeef said:
Great idea for thread; was thinking of doing it myself, but glad you did. I recommend listening to Security Now! podcast as they cover all this stuff in great detail.

Would that happen to be on zune marketplace?

edit: yes it is. cool!

•Sharing pictures of yourself online is all good but be careful. Yes they can be a security issue but I've put this here as it can be more of a nuisance. The same goes for things you write. When you put something on the internet it can be very tough to completely eradicate

I suspect it's too late to avoid this for most people, including myself.

Enco

Haha thought the thread had died (well it did).

I suppose now is the right time for a bump if ever. I'll update the op in a bit.

iNvid02

its_a_trap_RE_Demotes-s288x374-70052.jpg

deadbeef

jmdajr said:
Would that happen to be on zune marketplace?

edit: yes it is. cool!
You can download them all from the beginning on Steve Gibson's website. I think Zune/iTunes only archive the n most recent ones (n = ?)

Persona7

Banned
Thought I would bump this for the GRC shields up port profiler. It scans your IP address for open ports on your devices.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Just hit proceed, then when it takes you to a different page click "All service ports". Has some other things besides that worth checking out as well.

Persona7

Banned
I would have edited this into my post but the thread was already off the front page and I want this to be seen.

Does anyone have any tips for using comodo firewall and Defense+?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Figured I'd bump this and add what I do. I'll add it to the PC thread OP as well.

Install Malware Bytes, Super Anti Spyware, and CCleaner
Download Avira System Rescue CD and burn to CD (use imgburn)
Boot to CD, hit 1, check all options under scan run Avira Scan
Run CCleaner
Run MBAM in safemode
Run SAS

Standard what I do at PC shop

Barrett2

Thought I would post here. I have a two year old netbook my work is going to buy from me.

What programs should I run on it to wipe the harddrive as much as reasonably possible? Can I 'wipe' the computer without affecting Win XP?

What about that xkcd comic about passwords using 4 random words? Something about it being harder to crack for computers, but easier to remember for humans.

peakish

What about that xkcd comic about passwords using 4 random words? Something about it being harder to crack for computers, but easier to remember for humans.

I asked about this in another thread, it seems pretty secure if you can pick random words since dictionaries contain many words to try for combinations. Even so, I'm using LastPass since I only need to remember one single password for that (I picked one with sixteen characters, though I should change it sometime soon I suppose).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom