• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| |OT| Volunteer, coordinate, (index), create

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Going to step down from the

October 2016 - Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Import) Parakeetman (7th November 2015)

Reason being is that the Western version hits in November so having an Import OT is pointless and was considering cutting it anyways due to scheduling around that time. Might just do an import impression thread instead as those are far less time consuming.

We have enough SAO fans who can take care of the Western OT anyways so should not be an issue.

I'm leaving the Persona 5 Import and OT to the professionals! The Persona community here is amiable and organized (and JP proficient too!), so I'm certain that the Persona 5 OTs will be in great hands.

Relinquishment 8-31-2016:

wearethearmada
Persona 5 Import OT (9-15-2016)
Persona 5 OT (2-14-2016)

cj_iwakura

I'm leaving the Persona 5 Import and OT to the professionals! The Persona community here is amiable and organized (and JP proficient too!), so I'm certain that the Persona 5 OTs will be in great hands.

Relinquishment 8-31-2016:

wearethearmada
Persona 5 Import OT (9-15-2016)
Persona 5 OT (2-14-2016)

Dantis is doing the import, but if no one objects, I'll continue with the US version.

Radec

hey guys, I'm relinquishing this OT:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Remastered by Radec(2nd May 2016)

So it's open to anyone who like to work on it.

TheMoon

Battlefield 1 by iRAWRasaurus (September 3rd, 2016

If anyone have any tips or pointers for making OT or would like to help, please let me know :)

only rule you need to really know: don't fill it up with gifs and make it legible, don't overuse images.

personally I hate text-as-image OTs since you can't search them and they're a pain to read most of the time. don't write too much, chances are only 2.53 people will read it anyway :D

Cornbread78

only rule you need to really know: don't fill it up with gifs and make it legible, don't overuse images.

personally I hate text-as-image OTs since you can't search them and they're a pain to read most of the time. don't write too much, chances are only 2.53 people will read it anyway :D

Check your OT formatting on mobile. A lot of posters forget that people use their mobile devices to consume GAF.

Moreover, assume that people on mobile will disable gifs and sometimes images. Therefore, don't rely too much on images and gifs .

Good ones! Especially thinking of the mobile users; we are a powerful force to revon with, lol.

I would just add clean, informative, organized and simple. As you know, the OT are a general house for discussion, so no need for data damning mega extravagant posts, especially when this is your first.

Good luck brotha, feel free to ask for help/ideas along the way.

Cornbread78

How can I check how the formatting will look for mobile users?

I think he means, just consider the individual users' datacaps more than anything, lol.

I always build an OT in outlook, then when it's time to scrub, I find an old post (that noboby would see) and cut an paste the whole thing there and check how it looks on my phone, then make edits through the preview option. I can cut and paste everything as a back-up there and be ready to post away at launch time.

Parakeetman

Battlefield 1 by iRAWRasaurus (September 3rd, 2016

If anyone have any tips or pointers for making OT or would like to help, please let me know :)

Comments for tips with making an OT for yourself can be found in the wall of text below. lol Some specifics for your OT since you are doing one for an FPS that has MP with it is if you make a section for community members to link up with each other is a good thing.

Here is some examples from past OTs of MP focused games of how folks did their content formatting. Of course you are not required to do anything similar to them esp when it comes to graphical content, but these are more to give you an idea of how formatting is done with the information and what type of content these authors felt relevant for its readers
Battlefield 4 OT (images are broken but you can still view the information listed)
Battlefield 4 OT 2 (more info on updates and content)
Star Wars Battlefront (more info focused)
Overwatch OT (while there is a lot of graphics, very relevant info for readers balances it out
Call of Duty: Black Ops III (example of what we mean by .pdf type of OTs, not to knock it, but give you an example for personal reference)
Call of Duty: Advance Warfare OT (images are broken but info remains)
Destiny OT

As I mentioned below also, how far you want to take it from there is all up to you.

I think he means, just consider the individual users' datacaps more than anything, lol.

I always build an OT in outlook, then when it's time to scrub, I find an old post (that noboby would see) and cut an paste the whole thing there and check how it looks on my phone, then make edits through the preview option. I can cut and paste everything as a back-up there and be ready to post away at launch time.

Its not so much data as its regardless of how you format something from the PC its going to turn into a mess for mobile. That happens with some of my stuff but then again I dont really bother with putting much consideration for the mobile crowd anyways.

Its like if you have multiple images lined up to form a full image horizontally it will all get broken up vertically on mobile. For the most part people dont usually do that so its not a real issue.

But things like going overboard with screenshots also makes massive sections on mobile that a user has to scroll through.

Nothing worse on PC also when people just put a bunch of screenshots in a row vertically with no consideration for how the formatting looks. Use the horizontal space as thats the whole purpose of viewing on a PC.

Not sure if this works with mobile phones but try it out. While not all of the GAF bb codes work in this, most of the more important ones do and you get a good visual feedback on formatting and such with text or image placing.

http://www.amigabounty.net/index.php?function=bbcodetest

I usually use this to look at before hand.

Also be careful if you are CNPing the OT text back and forth between browser and whatever text editing software you use. Reason being is sometimes the invisible formatting from the program will mess things up when you copy it over. So always be sure to double check formatting and such with a preview post before having it go live.

It also helps when working on your OT text to (comment) yourself as to what all of your sections are. That way it makes it easier to fix errors and whatnots before putting the full version up. Since the text vs what you see will be 2 different things therefore having the OT text commented initially will allow you to quickly find any sections that might have a formatting error. Example below

*Title Image
(image text)

*Product Info
(game box picture link)
(product info text)

*Features
(features text)

Before posting it you just erase all of the self-comments you have once you are satisfied.

Also if you want an example of what OT looks like when its all written out minus the self-comments use this link and quote me, which will show you the original post in text format. Should give you a fairly good idea of why the suggesting about self-comments is something to consider so you dont get lost in your own text.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257666

This is also an example of an OT that is done with the PC in mind and not mobile. So if you view the OT on a phone bunch of the formatting stuff changes making it a bit messy with images, the classes section in particular.

---

For the most part the most important thing with OTs is just having relevant general information. The amount of depth you want to put into it is up to you. Though as others said just dont expect folks to actually read anything, so with that being said put in the effort because you want to, otherwise you are honestly wasting your time filling it out with stuff that not many will pay attention to.

All of this info comes from my own fuckups with my history of doing stuff so its basically what works for me in terms of advice. In all honestly only way to learn is by doing what you will and work on an OT yourself, over time you will figure out what does and does not work for yourself and what kind of formatting you like to work with along with generally what type of audience shows up in your OT(s) so you know what sort of info to have present.

One thing though that usually is a big help to any OT and to save yourself from answering the same question multiple times is a general FAQ to help answer the most common questions you can think of for your OT.

Cornbread78

Its not so much data as its regardless of how you format something from the PC its going to turn into a mess for mobile. That happens with some of my stuff but then again I dont really bother with putting much consideration for the mobile crowd anyways.

Big meanie...

Good info on the other stuff though, lol.

Parakeetman

Big meanie...

Good info on the other stuff though, lol.

Its not worth the effort honestly doing OTs is a waste of time as is without having to make consideration for formatting with multiple platforms.

If you are doing it to that extent you might as well be getting paid as thats literally what graphic / web designers do for a living. lol

Got a bunch of friends in the field so am familiar enough with all the bullshit they have to put up with when doing homepages for example and taking into account PC / resolution, then all of the major smartphones and tablets out there. Small example image below
responsive-design-layout.png

Honestly I wish the BB code was a bit more flexible allowing for more formatting and such though. But at that point I might as well be doing html which I hate lol.

Oh yeah feel free to go and do the Sword Art Online Hollow Realization OT since I stepped down from the import one as the release between the two is way too close.

Cornbread78

Its not worth the effort honestly doing OTs is a waste of time as is without having to make consideration for formatting with multiple platforms.

If you are doing it to that extent you might as well be getting paid as thats literally what graphic / web designers do for a living. lol

Got a bunch of friends in the field so am familiar enough with all the bullshit they have to put up with when doing homepages for example and taking into account PC / resolution, then all of the major smartphones and tablets out there. Small example image below
responsive-design-layout.png

Honestly I wish the BB code was a bit more flexible allowing for more formatting and such though. But at that point I might as well be doing html which I hate lol.

I don't go crazy (I wouldn't know how) I just make sure it's aestetically pleasing and makes sense.
I also don't use giant pdf style image boxes to house all the info.

Parakeetman

I don't go crazy (I wouldn't know how) I just make sure it's aestetically pleasing and makes sense.

Yeah for the most part dont think a lot of folks do overly crazy stuff that makes too big of a difference. Those who go graphically insane to the level of "viral marketing" most likely already thought about how things would appear on mobile seeing that they obviously do design work for a living with talent shown lol

Even myself I dislike having to do things like slicing up an image to use as multiple links as know that never works right on mobile. Still do it sometimes on the rare occasion regardless for reasons mentioned originally...

Though one thing am not exactly sure what dictates it working or not is when I use images as links, since sometimes it works correctly on mobile others it does not. Not exactly sure why as am not doing anything different in the instance where it does / does not work. Have not tested it lately but do remember having that issue in the past and why not as much these days I just put down standard links instead. Sometimes still use the image ones though, just not as much.

Yeah giant images with text in it for the most part does not seem to go too well with mobile at all. Since requires a lot of zooming and pinching. Even on PCs depending on the base image itself can be difficult to read. I tried that in the past forgot which OT but didnt like it. Far too much work also with the formatting, but thats more due to the software I use. Even then though still a lot of work vs just the standard method.

Coreda

Some of the most frustrating things would disappear with a little extra formatting. Being able to set a max container width so text doesn't continue further than the desired width (until the viewport is scaled smaller), a center tag (even if just for OT posts) so whitespace doesn't have to be added to images or worry how small it scales on mobile, and row containers (or plain old tables with borders hidden) so horizontal images could be divided into separate links and scaled as a whole row without breaking into new lines when the viewport is narrower (happens in like 1 in 5 OTs). All of which would be possible with extra BBCode but that isn't happening so there are some compromises.

Also nested indent margins on mobile are pretty borked. Two nested indent tags causes near-unreadable text on mobile in portrait mode, something that people complain about. So the last time I did this I added one indent tag for initial padding and subsequent padding via images. This way on desktop it looks fine and at least readable on mobile:

Using Chrome's device mode for the mobile site is also useful here since you can edit an old post to make the OT and just refresh the page to check how it looks in situ.

But really, with all the things like that keeping it simple is the easier option. The F1 2016 game OT is a good example. Since all the images are left-aligned it looks great on both desktop and mobile.

Parakeetman

Some of the most frustrating things would disappear with a little extra formatting. Being able to set a max container width so text doesn't continue further than the desired width (until the viewport is scaled smaller), a center tag (even if just for OT posts) so whitespace doesn't have to be added to images or worry how small it scales on mobile, and row containers (or plain old tables with borders hidden) so horizontal images could be divided into separate links and scaled as a whole row without breaking into new lines when the viewport is narrower (happens in like 1 in 5 OTs). All of which would be possible with extra BBCode but that isn't happening so there are some compromises.

Also nested indent margins on mobile are pretty borked. Two nested indent tags causes near-unreadable text on mobile in portrait mode, something that people complain about. So the last time I did this I added one indent tag for initial padding and subsequent padding via images. This way on desktop it looks fine and at least readable on mobile:

Using Chrome's device mode for the mobile site is also useful here since you can edit an old post to make the OT and just refresh the page to check how it looks in situ.

But really, with all the things like that keeping it simple is the easier option. The F1 2016 game OT is a good example. Since all the images are left-aligned it looks great on both desktop and mobile.

Good info here and yeah that f1 ot does look nice on both indeed.

Wonder if Evilore would be willing to add a few more features considering OTs are a fairly common thing on GAF though I reckon he would want a proper list of actual features that can be implemented with bbcode for him to consider it.

Coreda

Good info here and yeah that f1 ot does look nice on both indeed.

Wonder if Evilore would be willing to add a few more features considering OTs are a fairly common thing on GAF though I reckon he would want a proper list of actual features that can be implemented with bbcode for him to consider it.

Live Demo of the above wishlist (updated using a simple list element for the image row). GIF:

new-800pxs0quu.gif

Comparison of current behavior using the same layout, using image-based whitespace to center the secondary heading. GIF:

current-800pxscpfr.gif

The CSS for the row element hides text within it that's not a link or image, so it would be intended for image-only use (similarly the centering element could also hide text if desired). The image row also falls back to the regular line breaking behavior in ancient versions of IE.

Custom BBCode can be added via the vBulletin admin dashboard. Below are the custom BBCode entries that would be required for the elements, see the demo page above for the CSS.

Image row BBCode (it can be named anything, these are just for example):

Title: Proportionally Scaling Image Row

BB Code Tag Name: row

Replacement:

Code:
<div class="userrow">
        {param}
</div>

Example syntax (literally just the regular [list] tag inside the new [row] tag):

Code:
[plain]
[row]
[list]
[*] [img]example.png[/img]
[/list]
[/row]
[/plain]

Use {option}: No

Remove Tag If Empty: Yes

Edit: Taking into consideration that it's allowing direct access to the inline style, and it's not clear how input would be restricted, the following max-width style mightn't be appropriate. Would be good to know if vBulletin allows for a maximum input limit for certain BBCode or some other method of restricting input (in some other BBCode implementations input can be limited to only numbers for example which would solve this issue). Alternatively it may be possible to use a tweaked version of the image row styling above instead to set the width, will have to test later.

Max-Width Post Container

Title: Max-Width Post Container

BB Code Tag Name: container

Replacement:

Code:
<div class="usercontainer" style="max-width: {option}px"></div>

Example syntax:

Code:
[plain]
[container=1280]
...post goes here...
[/container]
[/plain]

Use {option}: Yes

Centered Element

Title: Centered Element

BB Code Tag Name: centered

Replacement:

Code:
<div class="centered">
    <div class="centered-content">
    {param}
    </div>
</div>

Example syntax:

Code:
[centered][img]example.jpg[/img][/centered]

Use {option}: No

Tested these in the BBCode test page on the vBulletin admin dashboard and they expand correctly to the HTML when inspected using the browser.

Parakeetman

Very cool stuff. You obviously know your stuff Im still trying to learn stuff in my free time so its a long road ahead of me. At least more productive than sitting around doing nothing during down time.

That indeed would be cool if implemented.

Coreda

That indeed would be cool if implemented.

So, just signed up for the vBulletin demo site to test how this would be added exactly and I'll update my post. vBulletin is quite limited in what you can add but it's still doable.

Also if you could also cut out the content of the quote of mine it would help with the update :)

Parakeetman

Hmm interested. Might claim later.

Shit the images broke. Not really sure if I need to fix it though since it's an old game.

Nah its expected that eventually images will break. Should be good. Am surprised none of my super old stuff have not broken yet.

Tizoc

I'd like to reserve this game as I feel like the release will probably be less than a year. These games usually don't take long to release after they have been announced, since they're musou. If it's not allowed though, that's fine.

Berserk Warriors by Dawg (19 June, 2016)

May I recommend the subtitle for the OT? :p

DOWN

Banned
Hey guys, I'm doing the BioShock OT but just wanted to ask when I should post it? I'll be done around midday today (the 12th) and it comes out at midnight (13th). Is that okay for timing? Never really done a game OT before.

hey guys, I'm relinquishing this OT:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Remastered by Radec(2nd May 2016)

So it's open to anyone who like to work on it.

Alrighty, I'll try whipping up my first OT then and can take the reins.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Remastered by Camp1nCarl (12th September 2016)

Also, since the campaign can be played by PS4 players starting on October 5th do I just drop the whole OT then and edit it come launch day to include the multiplayer information, or should I make an "early access" OT and then the regular one on launch day?

EDIT: And if anyone wants to assist, feel free! Just message me.

Parakeetman

Alrighty, I'll try whipping up my first OT then and can take the reins.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Remastered by Camp1nCarl (12th September 2016)

Also, since the campaign can be played by PS4 players starting on October 5th do I just drop the whole OT then and edit it come launch day to include the multiplayer information, or should I make an "early access" OT and then the regular one on launch day?

EDIT: And if anyone wants to assist, feel free! Just message me.

Just do it all at once. You might as well have it go live from Oct 5th for the campaign and let folks know when the MP is available. Since lots of people will still be interested in how the SP campaign holds up with improvements / performance.

TheMoon

Hey guys, I'm doing the BioShock OT but just wanted to ask when I should post it? I'll be done around midday today (the 12th) and it comes out at midnight (13th). Is that okay for timing? Never really done a game OT before.

a day before release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom