• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Other good Monster of the Week shows besides X-Files, Supernatural, Fringe, Grimm?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My favorite part of the X-Files is the Monster of the Week episodes. Forget poorly planned out Mythology episodes, X-Files MotW episodes were my jam.

Any other shows have great monster of the week episodes?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Funny enough Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders (Part 3). Large chunks of that part of the series are just a new villain with a crazy stand showing up and many of them are often portrayed in horror movie fashion.

Lagamorph

Doctor Who
The Flash (Technically I suppose, more Supervillain of the week)

Primeval
primeval.jpg

Not enough people know about this show, which is an absolute crime.

Zoe

Would something like The Outer Limits count? I have no idea if there's any way to watch them these days though.

You can't go wrong with the classics:

Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
Amazing Stories
Tales From The Darkside
Tales From The Crypt
Monsters
Freddy's Nightmares
Friday The 13th The Series

I love a good anthology series. Hell, even a bad one is alright in my book.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
trying to think of some is hard not really coming up with anything else besides whats already been put out other then kids stuff like eerie indiana
man all i really want is a scp foundation tv series we need more monster of the week shows

Platy

Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
Amazing Stories
Tales From The Darkside
Tales From The Crypt
Monsters
Freddy's Nightmares

There is a huge difference of "monster of the week" shows and anthology series.

Monster of the week is western power rangers =P

Star Trek TNG and Voyager are some of favorite episodic TV. Each episode has a new situation or “monster” and it made things fresh. Some of those stories blew my mind when I went through those two recently.

I honestly find serialized shows to be kinda draining (although I watch a lot of them). I hate how some say that episodic kind of storytelling has no place on TV anymore. So many serialized shows get bogged down in complicated plot threads and rarely end in a satisfying manner.

Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
Amazing Stories
Tales From The Darkside
Tales From The Crypt
Monsters
Freddy's Nightmares

There is a huge difference of "monster of the week" shows and anthology series.

Monster of the week is western power rangers =P

monsters-tv.jpg

Monsters was LITERALLY a "Monster of the Week" series. Other anthology series was a toss up between having monsters or other paranormal/supernatural things happening (or by Tales from the Crypt, just featured good old fashion murder and suspense). Monsters, however, basically featured a "new monster" each show. Some where common, like zombies and vampires, others were drawn from mythology (Satyrs, Bog Witches) and some from literature (Stephen King also gets one in there). The show's campy as fuck, but I enjoyed it back in the day. There are only two episodes that feel out of place, Half as Old as Time (don't think there's any monsters in there, unless you mean metaphorically) and Perchance to Dream.

Kimawolf

Sanctuary.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_(TV_series)

A tv show starring the always lovely Amanda Tapping.
The show centers on Dr. Helen Magnus, a 157-year-old teratologist (born August 27, 1850), and her team of experts who run the Sanctuary, an organization that seeks out extraordinarily powerful creatures and people, known as Abnormals, and tries to help and to learn from them while also having to contain the more dangerous ones.

Also Warehouse 13-
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warehouse_13

The series follows U.S. Secret Service Agents Myka Bering (Joanne Kelly) and Pete Lattimer (Eddie McClintock) when they are assigned to the secretive Warehouse 13 for supernatural artifacts.[7][16][17][18] It is located in a barren landscape in South Dakota, and they initially regard the assignment as punishment. As they go about their assignments to retrieve missing artifacts and investigate reports of new ones, they come to understand the importance of what they are doing.[7][18] In Season 1, Episode 4, they meet Claudia Donovan (Allison Scagliotti), who is searching for her missing brother; in Season 2, she joins the team as their technology expert. In Season 3, Episode 1, Steve Jinks (Aaron Ashmore), an Agent from Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives comes aboard.

Both good shows.

And finally Haven.

Haven is an American-Canadian supernatural drama television series loosely based on the Stephen King novel The Colorado Kid (2005). The show, which deals with strange events in a fictional town in Maine named Haven, is filmed on the South Shore of Nova Scotia, Canada, and is an American/Canadian co-production. It stars Emily Rose, Lucas Bryant, Nicholas Campbell and Eric Balfour, whose characters struggle to help townspeople with supernatural afflictions and protect the town from the effects of those afflictions. The show is the creation of writers Jim Dunn and Sam Ernst

Elandyll

Banned
Anthology series are like monster of the week in my book (and in BM's case there's usually a main character trying to destroy...something).
They're not though.

Poltergeist: The Legacy (Showtime) wasn't quite on the level of X-Files, Fringe, Buffy or a few others mentionned, but it had its moments.

More recently, I also loved Aftermath on Syfy, even if again it is not on the same level as these other show, but it had a kind of crazy that was very endearing, and (most of) the actors were decent in it.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
The first season and a half of Sleepy Hollow were pretty fun. Quality took a HUGE dip after but Tom Mison made it watchable for me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They're not though.

Poltergeist: The Legacy (Showtime) wasn't quite on the level of X-Files, Fringe, Buffy or a few others mentionned, but it had its moments.

More recently, I also loved Aftermath on Syfy, even if again it is not on the same level as these other show, but it had a kind of crazy that was very endearing, and (most of) the actors were decent in it.

They can't all be Baywatch Nights

DiscoJer

Calling it good is a stretch, but I greatly enjoyed Dan Ackroyd's Psi-Factor It's very Canadian and very campy at times, which they later sort of embraced when they added Max Headroom as the star, but it really works well, I think.

On a similar note, the Real Ghostbusters cartoon is actually quite good until they replaced Lorenzo Music (because he sounded too much like Garfield for Bill Murray's taste).

The Invaders is basically a monster of the week show but with aliens always being the monster. The 1980s War of the Worlds show also did this. The first season is quite good. There's also Project UFO, which is Jack Webb's take on aliens.

If you like British shows, there is The Omega Factor and the truly odd Sapphire and Steel. (And back to UFOs and aliens, there is UFO from the Andersons)

Star Trek TNG and Voyager are some of favorite episodic TV. Each episode has a new situation or “monster” and it made things fresh. Some of those stories blew my mind when I went through those two recently.

I honestly find serialized shows to be kinda draining (although I watch a lot of them). I hate how some say that episodic kind of storytelling has no place on TV anymore. So many serialized shows get bogged down in complicated plot threads and rarely end in a satisfying manner.

Dude, I waited twenty years of my life for serialised tv shows to become popular. Don't try and take it away from me.

Hate episodic formats, find it really hard to get drawn into them.

Edit: though I don't mind full on procedurals assuming they're well written.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It'll come up eventually, so Kolchak The Night Stalker was this type of show, from the mid 70s. It's actually pretty great.
MV5BMjEwMTEyMjgzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDY2MTEzMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR7,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Kolchak is amazing and is what i came in to recommend. Doctor Who is another standout which has one of the very best Monster of the Week episodes ever (Midnight). If you liked X-Files you should check out Millennium as well (S2 gets a little more mythology but the culmination of S2 is one of the craziest things to ever air afaic).

Top Bottom