• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our hands-on impressions of the Switch

The HD Rumble seems to have potential with the casual crowd. We'll see if Nintendo believes in it like they did with Wii Sports, or if they will just ignore it like Nintendoland.

Cheddahz

Banned
-UI (kind of weird that wasn't shown)

I believe UI was shown for a few seconds yesterday(?)

C2EinBfUAAAr7Ua.jpg

Shari

I've been in the event yesterday in Paris, I could answer some questions too if anyone has any. I've noticed questions about the triggers and they are simple buttons, not really triggers, but very very comfy for their size.

Standouts were Arms, holding the joycons with the should buttons facing at you is susprisingly intuitive and it controls and responds good. If anyone was frustrated time and again with wii's boxing game, this IS the shit.

And the highlight for me in what was playable was zelda on handheld mode, blew my mind. In screen mode looks rough tbh, having a 55" screen a few meters away makes it show all its problems in drawing distance and far away textures. The game is serious goty material even with a simple 20-min demo.

Nah, it has gotten completely out of hand. There's a ridiculous hyperbole where everything gets framed negatively. There are genuine concerns yes, but most of what is going on on GAF is just unfettered shitposting right now. Mods should start acting IMO.
People want Nintendo to fail so they can buy their games without buying their hardware. The reaction here has been ridiculous, but my friends and coworkers all seem to have positive feelings. Nintendo is riding a wave of positive mindshare this year with Pokemon Go, Super Mario Run, and the Nintendo Classic. I can definitely see them continuing the momentum with a great first year with the switch.

Bersi

Thanks for your impressions, can't wait to see:

-UI (kind of weird that wasn't shown)
-VC details (including rumored GameCube!)
-This thing in my hand... playing new Zelda... on the go

Agreed,i can't wait to see the UI in particular, hopefully it will be better than the WII U one.

Man i still can't believe we're only 6 weeks away from a new Nintendo console and a new Zelda, March 3rd is going to be a magical day.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I am pretty confident about system quality and software variety but price and number of games (especially the lack of typical portable brands ) will hurt hard the switch initial sales

Arms, Zelda, Mario, xeno, some third party games, the system itself are tempting but not until a price cut and some reassuring about portable software output actually planned to the console, consolidating the hybrid concept

Until people wont be convinced that those 300 bucks are spent for the only Nintendo hw existing on the market from now on, they wont spend them

Sure, no problem.

About the online paywall / one game a month deal: difficult to say without knowing the specifics. What will the online infrastructure of the Switch offer? We have to know that before making conclusions. If they've just said 'well, Sony and Microsoft put it behind a paywall so we will too', they've lost the plot, because Sony en MS offer online options that have been expanded and perfected over the course of multiple generations. If Nintendo can offer a similar online experience, they're in the right for asking money. As far as the one game a month deal goes I would have done things differently. I would have offered the entire VC line-up free of charge for everyone getting a Nintendo online subscribtion. An Onlive type of deal, where you pay monthly to play online AND to play all VC games free of charge. It may not be the most profitable but Nintendo needs to hit it out of the park this generation.

Storage space is difficult to say if it will become a problem, but 32 GB isn't a lot and it kind of baffles me because Nintendo has been earning a lot money from selling their full priced games digital.

The price of the controllers and stuff is too high imo. Perhaps its needed to make it profitable with all the technology in the controllers, but its just too high compared to what people are used to when buying controllers.

I don't really think all these things are important when facturing in the overall success of a console. Its all about trying to create a hype and you do that with a great console and great games. The great console is there, no doubt, the great games are coming but we haven't seen enough. 2017 is still a bit empty. They need to change that, perhaps they are doing that and they haven't showed everything yet, especially third party wise, but that would be strange as third parties have nothing to gain by keeping their games a secret now, especially since the console is coming out in 7 weeks.

Thanks.

Thing is I dont think Zelda uses it, although its difficult to judge right now.

Like I said at the bottom of the previous page the rumble is fantastic, but I hope Nintendo (and other developers) use it in a lot of titles so its not some forgotten feature in a few years.

Im pretty sure they do. I did feel seperate columns moving down when a gate opened for example.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No I think you really need to slide it in from above.

Sliding it in feels very easy and i saw this soft stuff inside so I dont think the screen or anything else will get strained. Nintendo would be stupid to haven't thought that out.

How does it actually connect to the dock? USB C? Does it simply lift out with no resistance? Trying to figure out how this actually works.

Im pretty sure they do. I did feel seperate columns moving down when a gate opened for example.

Okay, I need to start hounding others that have played it at the event if they noticed anything significant.

If it's not half-assed that would push me over to get the Switch version.

How does it actually connect to the dock? USB C? Does it simply lift out with no resistance? Trying to figure out how this actually works.

Cant talk about the technology just the feeling. There was no notable 'click' when sliding in so I wondered if it was correct when i just placed it in but sure enough the image transported to the tv. Theres little resistance when pulling it out. Theres not really any feeling to compare it with but its very easy. It fits like a glove.

Alpha_eX

Anyone else been told Arms has pro-controller support? That will take it from a fun party games to something more competitive. There's no success in waggle to win, all about tactic

Thanks for the hands on impressions, some of the stuff I've read on here has been utterly bizzare so it's nice to hear from people who've actually played the thing,I have it on pre order and was a bit unsure yesterday but reading this thread has been really useful, it still seems like the pricing is wrong especially for the games but hopefully that will settle down.

HeySeuss

Does anyone know if in Zelda if you defeat a Guardian that they stay dead or respawn later? Those things look pretty tough and if I kill it and need to backtrack quickly I don't want to worry about fighting the same one again.

Just wondered as I hadn't noticed if anyone had answered that yet.

Okay, I need to start hounding others that have played it at the event if they noticed anything significant.

If it's not half-assed that would push me over to get the Switch version.
unfortunately this is the only place (right at the beginning) i really noticed it

Im sure i kinda felt a sensation when link was shooting a bow but inwas too focused on the screen at that point.

Great impressions. Wow nice to hear Arms is cool, you sold me on the system (I had preordered but was going to cancel due to a lack of games I want except Zelda, and I have a Wii U). Definitely interested in buying Zelda and Arms now.

Great impressions. Wow nice to hear Arms is cool, you sold me on the system (I had preordered but was going to cancel due to a lack of games I want except Zelda, and I have a Wii U).

Like i said, fantastic system but there need to be more (third party) games announced. But everyone should make their own judgement before launch, im sure there will come numerous occations to try it out.

spekkeh

Banned
Thanks for the hands on impressions, some of the stuff I've read on here has been utterly bizzare so it's nice to hear from people who've actually played the thing,I have it on pre order and was a bit unsure yesterday but reading this thread has been really useful, it still seems like the pricing is wrong especially for the games but hopefully that will settle down.
The game pricing is probably due to going with cartridges. I hope Nintendo prices the digital games lower, though that's not very likely given their history.

I'm glad to hear there's more people backing that up when it comes to ARMS controls. Though more options for traditional guys won't hurt

I had played a few games of ARMS and i though oh well, fun for a quick round and that was that. An old colleague of mine that now works at Nintendo Germany offfered to play it again with me and he showed me so many tactics that he really convinced me. Not with pr talk mind you, but just by playing against him. It was eye opening.

random25

I had played a few games of ARMS and i though oh well, fun for a quick round and that was that. An old colleague of mine that now works at Nintendo Germany offfered to play it again with me and he showed me so many tactics that he really convinced me. Not with pr talk mind you, but just by playing against him. It was eye opening.

I would like to play it too that way, the same way I play Splatoon the way it was intended with gyro aiming. At some point it could be tiring due to more physical effort than just pressing buttons, but motion control implementation seems more natural to use.

Like i said, fantastic system but there need to be more (third party) games announced. But everyone should make their own judgement before launch, im sure there will come numerous occations to try it out.

I know there are a ton of games coming out that I will want later on, and Zelda looks amazing so I might as well jump in and get to play that at 1080p.

Monocle

Thanks for the impressions! The hardware sounds great. I'm glad to hear that the Switch feels like a premium device. I wasn't really put off by the Wii U's toylike feel, but still, I'm all for better ergonomics.

I tend to wait at least a year to buy new consoles. Given a larger library of exclusives, or a killer app by Platinum, I won't hesitate to pick up a Switch sometime in 2018.

azyless

I've been in the event yesterday in Paris, I could answer some questions too if anyone has any. I've noticed questions about the triggers and they are simple buttons, not really triggers, but very very comfy for their size.
Is that on the pro controller, the joycons, both ?

Shari

Is that on the pro controller, the joycons, both ?

Joycons. To be honest I dont recall much about the Pro controller, only played 5 min of the zelda demo with it and felt to my hands like any other modern controller. Gyro, much like in other hardware, felt waaaay too sensitive.

azyless

Joycons. To be honest I dont recall much about the Pro controller, only played 5 min of the zelda demo with it and felt to my hands like any other modern controller. Gyro, much like in other hardware, felt waaaay too sensitive.
Alright, thanks :)

spookyfish

Awesome impressions. Thank you!

I feel the same way -- as a die-hard Nintendo fan, I'll get it right away, but I understand and see where some people may be hesitant.

Does anyone know if in Zelda if you defeat a Guardian that they stay dead or respawn later? Those things look pretty tough and if I kill it and need to backtrack quickly I don't want to worry about fighting the same one again.

Just wondered as I hadn't noticed if anyone had answered that yet.

I know nothing, but by looking at the map Nintendo is giving away with the Limited edition, I have the impression that Guardians are numbered. Like, maybe you have to kill them all.

Nice to see a more positive thread instead of all the negativity.

I really can't wait to get hands on with the Switch now, Zelda on launch day did it for me and even though the rest of the game line up is not exactly brilliant for launch day, Zelda is looking GOTY material and I've been waiting a long time for it now, so I couldn't really resist hitting that pre-order button.

I just hope Nintendo take notice of some of the legit complaints and start making some changes before or shortly after launch, I still can't get over the price of the controllers and accessories, that has really put a downer on things for a lot of people and it's a shame because under all the bad stuff, it seems like the Switch is a well built, quality console and will have some great games.

Vash63

Great thread, happy to see something other than doom and gloom.

Anyone get a comparison of the Pro controller vs Joycons in the grip? Given the pricing it seems like Nintendo is pushing for people just buying the Joycons double pack as you get a lot more functionality.

It's being used in a mini game collection currently. Would like to see how it's used in a full fledged game.

I'm just thinking third party games here:

Fifa: Different feelings for kicking the ball with a foot and headers, or running into another player or getting taken out.

Shooters: Different sensation depending on where you get shot, especially with the location of the feedback.

NotLiquid

Reading about the hands-on impressions of the Switch has been quite a joy. In spite of the many concerns the hardware seems to instantly click the moment you get it in your hands. A lot of similar things used to be said about the Wii U but it doesn't seem like they cheapened out on the hardware with this and unlike the Wii U the concept just seems so much more appealing.

I really hope they manage to provide a bevy of software for this thing. I'm super excited to play it.

neto

Did you saw 4 players Mario Kart on one switch? I want to know if it keeps the 60 fps or it goes to 30 like on the Wii U

Blues1990

Thank you guys for providing more hands-on impressions with the Nintendo Switch. I do want to hear more about the menu's interface and such, but I guess such information isn't available at this time.

Also, it's interesting to hear that the screen for the switch unit is about the same size as the Wii U Gamepad's screen.

Thank you guys for providing more hands-on impressions with the Nintendo Switch. I do want to hear more about the menu's interface and such, but I guess such information isn't available at this time.

Also, it's interesting to hear that the screen for the switch unit is about the same size as the Wii U Gamepad's screen.

The screen is but the stuff around it feels way smaller so it feels more slick in your hands. I do like the back of the wii u gamepad though, very ergonomical, but i could hold the switch just fine without the feeling it would slip out of my hands. It feels expensive though so Im definitely getting a good sturdy case for it before I take it on the road.

People want Nintendo to fail so they can buy their games without buying their hardware. The reaction here has been ridiculous, but my friends and coworkers all seem to have positive feelings. Nintendo is riding a wave of positive mindshare this year with Pokemon Go, Super Mario Run, and the Nintendo Classic. I can definitely see them continuing the momentum with a great first year with the switch.

I have noticed this as well, and frankly it is getting old and child like embarrassing. On topic, So far everything I heard from impressions has been positive. Word of mouth is working, as today in a restraunt several people were talking about the switch.

Thanks for the impressions, OP.

No problem! Glad so many people liked it, I was afraid it would come off as advertising or something. It's a curtesy for me to mention the websites that made it able for me to go to the event, but I made this topic so that I could share impressions between gaffers!

Btw, I went to the event in a train from the Netherlands to Frankfurt and the one and only NintenDaan was with us as well. You Nintendo-fans probably know him from his Twitter-antics and what not. If you're reading this, hi Daan! Share your impressions here as well :D

taoofjord

Thanks for the write up, I'm looking forward to trying it when they come to D.C. Overall, despite the many flaws of the hardware, the product and core concept are still strong enough for me to be hyped. I also think it would have been better to delay this till the fall/winter of 2017 but whatever. The first 18 months of pretty much any console's lifespan is mostly barren as far as quality games go, and this will be no different. The real test will be in the second half of 2018 and whether all the developer making 3DS games move to the Switch or go exclusively mobile. Can't wait for Zelda, Splatoon 2, Arms, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, and the new RPG by the Bravely Default team. Cautiously optimistic about Mario.

Oh, and no idea why so many think this is overpriced. Seems spot on to me for a new console aiming for a different demographic than the PS4/XB1. Nevertheless, it still seems like the Switch will flop. :( I'm hoping they stick with it no matter what and then come out with a more refined version in 2-3 years that has better battery life, a d-pad, a slight boost in power etc.

Blues1990

The screen is but the stuff around it feels way smaller so it feels more slick in your hands. I do like the back of the wii u gamepad though, very ergonomical, but i could hold the switch just fine without the feeling it would slip out of my hands. It feels expensive though so Im definitely getting a good sturdy case for it before I take it on the road.

Really? Huh, that's interesting to hear how ergonomical the Switch is in portable mode. It should be great when I play Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 with my pal later down the line.

Oh, yeah. I'm definitely going to invest a carrying case for this system whenever I go out with it.

Really? Huh, that's interesting to hear how ergonomical the Switch is in portable mode. It should be great when I play Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 with my pal later down the line.

Oh, yeah. I'm definitely going to invest a carrying case for this system whenever I go out with it.

Yes, really. Ofcourse you get a lot more nuance when you get to play with it over the span of a lot of time so I can't judge firmly yet, but it never felt slippery in my hands. The Switch and different controllers aren't slippery, full stop.

Glassboy

The demo that blew my mind was the marble box.

Imagine you are holding a small wooden box, with x amount of marbles inside. As you move the box, you can feel them move and clack against each other.

The Joy-con can emulate this feeling incredibly well, I was able clearly feel three separate marbles rolling down the side of the Joy-con and then each hitting each other as they got to the bottom.

The 1-2-Switch marble box mini game asks you to guess how many marbles are in your joycon by moving it. Pretty much every time I could guess, even when there were 6-7 in there.

That was special, it even gave a false sense of weight due to the rumbles. I really like the tech.

The ice cube thing is legit.
This is super cool. Glad to hear it actually works

Top Bottom